It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:28 pm 

read the title. we're gonna have a few rounds for this contest.

here's the first criteria:

design a legendary creature that will serve as the commander (and determine your color identity for the next few rounds).

here are your available options:
  • option d: an aged war tactician who enlists inhabitants of all races into his army; is a master of making deals
  • option g: an ill-spirited giant who used to own the plane and is trying to overthrow the new owner
  • option i: a temporal mage who can speed up and slow down time by adding or removing sand to their hourglass necklace
  • option m: the organizer of the city's church who left her post to mastermind a cult

taken:
  • EpicLevelCommoner - option e: a rebel who serves as the voice of other rebels and outcasts; her following is growing day over day
  • YingLung - option l: the spirit of the king's daughter whose life was traded as part of a deal between the church and the royal family
  • Tevish Szat - option j: a feral young girl who was raised in the wild; she hunts, ransacks caravans, etc. can often be seen mingling with different beasts of the wild
  • Confused - option a: an angel who goes against her position to bring innocents back to life
  • CuriousHeartless - option k: a humanoid plant who was domesticated and taught to tend to the city's gardens
  • aranthinius - option h: a treefolk whose fruit is magic - yielding different results for those who eat it
  • LilyStorm - option c: a corrupt judge who is able to adjust the laws of the plane to make their final sentence come true
  • TemJem - option f: a kind-hearted giant who owns the plane and is using diplomacy to protect it from destruction
  • Mown - option b: a passionate pastor who weaponizes spirits to convert others to his religion

once one of the options above are taken, it's off the table. i'll try to update regularly.
you have until wed, 11/25 to submit. try to make color identities two or more colors because it will make the following rounds a lot easier.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:03 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Option E

Fiona, Voice of Rebellion
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel
Eminence - As long as Fiona is in your command zone or on the battlefield, creature cards in your library and
graveyard are Rebels in addition to their other types.
, : Search your library for up to X Rebel permanent cards with converted mana cost 3 or less each and put them onto the battlefield.
[2/2]

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:36 pm 

Option L

Peria, Soul Heir
Legendary Creature - Human Spirit Noble
Whenever a creature dies, exile it.
, : Put target creature card exiled by a card named Peria, Soul Heir with converted mana cost X onto the battlefield.
0/3
Ironically, she saw much more of the world after she left the land of the living.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Last edited by YingLung on Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 pm 

Option J

Savage, Ruthless Huntress
:b::r::g:
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue Barbarian
Deathtouch
Prevent all damage creatures would deal to Savage, Ruthless Huntress
Whenever another creature dies, create a food token.
1/1

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm 

Option A

Cemi, Overwhelmed by Grief -
Legendary Creature - Angel Cleric
Flying
At the beginning of each end step, return target creature card in your graveyard that didn't attack or block this turn to the battlefield until ~ leaves the battlefield. ~ gets -1/-1 for each creature you control that was returned this way. Whenever a creature that was returned this way dies, you lose 2 life.
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, he or she loses 2 life.
3/5

Last edited by Confused on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm 

I really want K. Will brainstorm a bit

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
H pls

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Option C

Kragen Strehone, Law Supreme
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
T, Exile a nonland card from your hand: name a card.
Whenever a player casts a spell with one of the chosen names, you may counter it. If you don't, draw a card and that spell's controller discards a card.
4/4

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Last edited by LilyStorm on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Option f: a kind-hearted giant who owns the plane and is using diplomacy to protect it from destruction

Peacekeeper Ormund
Legendary Creature - Giant Advisor (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player who did not attack on their last turn draws a card.
: You and target opponent each choose a permanent. Those permanents gain indestructible until end of turn.
"The spoils of war can never compare to the bounty of peace."
2/5

I know you said two+ colors, but I really wanna try monowhite and I'm okay with the challenge. If that's not okay, just lemee know.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 pm 

Temjen wrote:
I know you said two+ colors, but I really wanna try monowhite and I'm okay with the challenge. If that's not okay, just lemee know.

It's allowed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:42 pm 

Bump as a reminder for people to enter or finish their submissions by EOD today!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 pm 

-A humanoid plant who was domesticated and taught to tend to the city's gardens

Morada, Alraune Gardentender 2WBG
Legendary Creature - Plant Shaman
Deathtouch, lifelink
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~, then ~ deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
, : Untap up to X target lands you control, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on ~.
2/3

She eats people who harm the gardens.

Last edited by CuriousHeartless on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
what's really the difference between b and m and why do you hate religious people
anyway choosing b because that sounds like someone I'd love to self-insert as

Ethris the Breathweaver
Legendary Creature — Elemental Cleric
Deathtouch
If a creature or planeswalker an opponent owns would die, exile it with a tether counter instead.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, draw a card unless they pay 1 life for each card in exile they own with a tether counter.
"Welcome to the fold, your family has been awaiting you."
1/4

why yes he does chain your relatives to undeath and uses it to pressure you into joining his religion why do you ask

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Last edited by Mown on Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:10 pm 

Made a final edit.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:31 pm 

Option E

Fiona, Voice of Rebellion
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel
Eminence - As long as Fiona is in your command zone or on the battlefield, creature cards in your library and
graveyard are Rebels in addition to their other types.
, : Search your library for up to X Rebel permanent cards with converted mana cost 3 or less each and put them onto the battlefield.
[2/2]

Alright. So Fiona is a Mardu rebel lord. She'll definitely need some support. Not a huge fan that she invalidates building around existing rebels by making all your creatures rebels. We can workshop this in future rounds. I quite like the activation cost.

YingLung wrote:
Option L

Peria, Soul Heir
Legendary Creature - Human Spirit Noble
Whenever a creature dies, exile it.
, : Put target creature card exiled by a card named Peria, Soul Heir with converted mana cost X onto the battlefield.
0/3
Ironically, she saw much more of the world after she left the land of the living.

Poor Peria the pariah. I like the way these abilities interact. The first triggered ability might work better as "Whenever another creature dies." This card is reminiscent of Isareth, the Awakener. I like how this commander could fit into a variety of builds. I wonder how fun certain match-ups will be vs. Peria (particularly reanimator and other graveyard-centric commanders).

Option J

Savage, Ruthless Huntress
:b::r::g:
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue Barbarian
Deathtouch
Prevent all damage creatures would deal to Savage, Ruthless Huntress
Whenever another creature dies, create a food token.
1/1

She's a savage. (yeah) Classy, bougie, ratchet. (yeah) Sassy, moody, nasty. (hey, hey, yeah)

I like the Food token angle. This deck would certainly play cards like Crypt Rats. Would like more Food token support. Seems like a fun card to buildaround. Might even be able to get away with higher P/T.

Confused wrote:
Option A

Flying
At the beginning of each end step, return target creature card in your graveyard that didn't attack or block this turn to the battlefield until ~ leaves the battlefield. ~ gets -1/-1 for each creature you control that was returned this way. Whenever a creature that was returned this way dies, you lose 2 life.
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, he or she loses 2 life.
3/5

The templating of the abilities needs a little bit of adjustment. I fear that this ability is too strong in its current form. It triggers every end step (not just your own) and has few limitations on which creature cards you can return (any, as long as they didn't attack or block this turn). I do like how the sacrifice clause requires you to be more strategic about how you sacrifice in those builds. There's another issue where cards don't retain attributes between zones, so it would require a rules change to make "attacked or blocked this turn" determine which creature cards in the graveyard are eligible. Something simple like exiling creatures that die in combat would smooth this over.

LilyStorm wrote:
Option C

Kragen Strehone, Law Supreme
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
T, Exile a nonland card from your hand: name a card.
Whenever a player casts a spell with one of the chosen names, you may counter it. If you don't, draw a card and that spell's controller discards a card.
4/4

I like the "Name a card" wording better than "Choose a card name" they're using now, but I digress. This is a fun control commander. I'm a tad worried about how oppressive he can be, but that's where politics comes into play. I like that the cast trigger prevents you from naming the card after it's already been cast. You can also name someone's commander and just stall the game. Good fit for the criteria.

Temjen wrote:
Option f: a kind-hearted giant who owns the plane and is using diplomacy to protect it from destruction

Peacekeeper Ormund
Legendary Creature - Giant Advisor (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player who did not attack on their last turn draws a card.
: You and target opponent each choose a permanent. Those permanents gain indestructible until end of turn.
"The spoils of war can never compare to the bounty of peace."
2/5

I'm a huge fan of this form of white card draw geared toward commander. You may even be able to get away with "each player who did not attack you on their last turn draws a card." - guaranteeing you net a card a turn and convincing your opponents to start battles elsewhere. The templating on the activated ability reminds me of Cuombiji Witches. I really like this group hug commander.

-A humanoid plant who was domesticated and taught to tend to the city's gardens

Morada, Alraune Gardentender
Legendary Creature - Plant Shaman
Deathtouch, lifelink
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~, then ~ deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
3, T: Untap up to X target lands you control, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on ~.
2/3

She eats people who harm the gardens.

This was one of my favorite character descriptions from the list, so I'm glad you put it to use. I can buy an Abzan gardener. The first ability should make each opponent lose life, not deal damage (helps the color identity feel more black than red). I'm also not a subscriber to standardizing life loss/damage to just be damage. I like the flavorful difference. I like the she ramps later in the game, if she stays around long enough to do so. I just noticed the lifelink interaction with the landfall damage, so perhaps that makes the current wording fine!

Mown wrote:
what's really the difference between b and m and why do you hate religious people
anyway choosing b because that sounds like someone I'd love to self-insert as

Ethris the Breathweaver
Legendary Creature — Elemental Cleric
Deathtouch
If a creature or planeswalker an opponent owns would die, exile it with a tether counter instead.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, draw a card unless they pay 1 life for each card in exile they own with a tether counter.
"Welcome to the fold, your family has been awaiting you."
1/4

why yes he does chain your relatives to undeath and uses it to pressure you into joining his religion why do you ask

I grew up as a gay boy in the Southern Baptist church, if that answers your question? Ethris is interesting - they completely hose reanimator strategies and/or other strategies that use the graveyard, but I think that's fine. I like that the ability is worded to be cumulative even once your commander dies and comes back, dies and comes back. I really like this design.

arathinius wrote:
H pls

Feel free to submit this design and the current round's design if you're still interested in participating.

ROUND ONE - RANKINGS:
Group A:
  • LilyStorm with Kragen Strehone
  • TemJen with Ormund
  • Mown with Ethris
Group B:
  • EpicLevelCommoner with Fiona
  • YingLung with Peria
  • Tevish Szat with Savage
  • CuriousHeartless with Morada
  • Confused with Cemi
TBD:
  • arathinius with option H

You may update your designs for Round 1 in future rounds. Just post the adjusted design in the same post as the design for the current round.
I will post the next criteria asap.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 am 

Next Round: Design three cards. Each design has to have a unique color identity unless you designed a monocolored commander (If your commander is Jeskai - you could design a monowhite, monoblue, and monored card OR you could design an Azorius, Boros, and an Izzet card OR any combination of these).

Participants with monocolored commanders must design three cards with unique types (for example: a creature, an enchantment, and a sorcery).

Your designs should all have obvious connections to the archetype that you commander enables.

You have until EOD PST on Wed, 12/2.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:47 am 

Squirming Delicacies
:3::g:
(Art: Savage [a pale, slim young woman with a classic stone age barbarian or jungle-dweller aesthetic] sits reclining, about to drop a large grub into her open mouth. In the background, a behemoth mimics her pose and motion with an overdressed, fat, and terrified merchant in place of the grub)
Enchantment
Noncreature Food permanents you control are 1/1 worm creatures in addition to their other types.
Creatures you control are Food artifacts in addition to their other types and have ":2:, :t:, Sacrifice this permanent: You gain 3 life."
The best meals struggle all the way down.

Blades of the Huntress
:3:
(Art: A part of daggers, stained with blood, sitting on a mossy stone. The daggers appear to be made of some sort of monster tooth, curved and serrated, with its roots carved into the handles.)
Artifact - Equipment
Equip :1:
:2:: Equipped creature fights target creature. When that creature dies this turn, create a food token. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery.
The difference between fangs and daggers matters little when they're in your throat.

Heedless Onslaught
:x::r::b:
(Art: Savage and a large predatory monster bear down on a pair of soldiers. Savage has driven one of her blades into the soldier's neck and snapped the blade off in the process, while the monster is run through on the other soldier's spear but striking down the soldier with its claws and teeth)
Instant
Sacrifice X permanents. Destroy X target creatures.
"Our lost daughter ever proves that when the reward is survival, the cost is irrelevant." - Sage Lapis of Altoris

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:45 am 

Cradle Grave
Sorcery
Search your library for a creature card, put it onto the battlefield, and sacrifice that creature, then shuffle your library.
Witch Ephilia promised her first-born for a demon's dread power, and promised to carry the child of an Ancient One for immortality. Pieces of her are still used by invokers of the renegotiated contract.

Blackhearted Priest
Creature - Human Cleric
When Blackhearted Priest enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 black Assassin creature token with deathtouch.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.
1/2
Frightened by the streak of murders, the villagers took shelter in Father Jordias' priory.

Angel of Cessation
Creature - Angel
Flying, Flash
When Angel of Cessation enters the battlefield, exile all creatures in combat.
When Angel of Cessation leaves the battlefield, return all cards exiled with it to the battlefield under their owners' control.
4/4
This cannot continue.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:31 pm 

Confused wrote:
Option A

Flying
At the beginning of your end step, return target creature card in your graveyard that wasn't put there this combat to the battlefield until ~ leaves the battlefield. ~ gets -1/-1 for each creature you control that was returned this way. Whenever a creature that was returned this way dies, you lose 2 life. (When ~ leaves the battlefield, the creatures that were brought back to the battlefield this way dies. They are not sacrificed.)
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent, he or she loses 3 life.
3/4

^ Edited commander.

Evacuation Specialist -
Creature - Human
: Return ~ and target another creature you own to their owner's hand.
0/4

Vampiric Bloodhound -
Creature - Vampire Hound
When ~ enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 4 life and you gain 4 life
, Discard ~: Each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
4/4

Missionary of Misery -
Creature - Human Cleric
When ~ enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a non-land, non-token permanent. If you have the least life among all players, you may have each opponent sacrifice a non-land, non-token permanent instead.
They love company.
1/2

Last edited by Confused on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
In these contexts I always wonder if I should have all my cards have thematic and mechanical cohesion, or try to make a hodgepodge that realistically simulates most commander decks.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post