It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hoard of Notions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Backlash Shaman

Creature -- Human Shaman (R)
As Backlash Shaman enters the battlefield, choose a card name.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell with the chosen name, Backlash Shaman deals 5 damage to them.
"Freedom is the absence of limitations, not repercussions.”
2/2

Red's take on Meddling Mage. Red won't stop you from doing things (except gaining life, I guess), but it can make you regret it.

Render

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Self Reflection

Enchantment (R)
Whenever you cast a spell that targets only you, copy that spell.
"The hardest truths are those we must tell ourselves."
—Sensei Hisoka

WoTC: I have Mark Rosewater. I will return him unharmed as soon as you design and print Return to Kamigawa.

Render

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am 
YMtC Champ '08

That actually gives me ideas about a "self-targeting matters" theme for a set. Heroic, but for yourself.

Backlash Shaman reminds me of Dragonlord Kolaghan.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I don't think that has a lot of legs to stand on. Not only is it kind of arbitrary if a spell targets you or not, with a lot of effects like lifegain and card draw no longer being targeted, it's also a lot less interesting to play around with. You can target all the creatures in your deck, but with player targeting you can only target yourself or your opponent, and that's a choice that's only relevant in effects that are both beneficial and detrimental.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I don't think that has a lot of legs to stand on. Not only is it kind of arbitrary if a spell targets you or not, with a lot of effects like lifegain and card draw no longer being targeted, it's also a lot less interesting to play around with. You can target all the creatures in your deck, but with player targeting you can only target yourself or your opponent, and that's a choice that's only relevant in effects that are both beneficial and detrimental.

I see your point, but I still think it's an interesting deckbuilding challenge even if it doesn't interact with every card out there. It does seem arbitrary whether a card targets players or not (Inspiration vs Divination) and WoTC seems to favor the latter nowadays. But there are still enough of the former to make this card worthwhile, in my opinion.

Even though this is a stand-alone card, I also like to imagine cards being printed in an environment that they work well in. Return to Kamigawa (coming 2032) could have a mechanic that targets players, right?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I think the card is fine, my reply was more in response to Rio's suggestion of it as a set theme.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:14 am 
YMtC Champ '08

Mown wrote:

I think the divide is less pronounced than this. With heroic, you most likely are targeting your creatures with beneficial effects only, which also would be likely the case with "player-heroic". What could maybe be a problem with this hypothetical set theme is that it would encourage you to run more "Target player gets [beneficial effect]" than effects that affect the board which in turn might make games play less interestingly.

(on a semi-related but not really note, back when Rosewater did those polls about whether you prefered beneficial effects to be "You do [good thing]" or "Target player does [good thing]" and I really wish they would change to the later. Such change would also make effects like Redirect more interesting since right now all they are really good for is redirecting removal.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

It's no secret that is the least viable color combination in Commander. Life is tough if you're the most aggro-focused color pair when everyone starts with 40 life and sets up ridiculous value trains (your one weakness!!!).

I'm just brainstorming some cards that might make Boros aggro a little more viable in everyone's favorite format:

General Mizali

Legendary Creature -- Human Soldier (M)
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever another creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to each other opponent.
"When you're surrounded, there's no wrong direction to attack."
2/2

What if you only had to aggro out one player instead of a table full?

Render

Unified Assault

Enchantment (R)
Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0 for each other creature that’s attacking the same player or planeswalker.
"Battle is chaos. He who brings order to it, wins it."
—General Mizali

Or what if you went all in on killing that one guy???

Render

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:35 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I think one of the interesting aspects of aggro in edh you can utilize to make it better is the phenomenon of "there's always someone open", which to some extent I guess Mizali taps into the same way Saskia does.
I would also be fascinated to see some cards that are better the more opponents that have lost the game.
I also just think that EDH should run on 30 life.
Riorvard wrote:
I think the divide is less pronounced than this. With heroic, you most likely are targeting your creatures with beneficial effects only, which also would be likely the case with "player-heroic". What could maybe be a problem with this hypothetical set theme is that it would encourage you to run more "Target player gets [beneficial effect]" than effects that affect the board which in turn might make games play less interestingly.

My point is that while yes, Opportunity will only target friendly players and Arcane Flight will only target friendly creatures for nearly all cases, the latter is still a vastly more interesting decision. The decision point with Opportunity is mostly just "Do I cast this now or use my mana for something else?", with "or do I wait until I get more self-heroic triggers" added on in this theoretical set. With arcane flight, I also have to make the decision of "which one of my creatures do I want to use this spell on?" This is also not to mention how creature spells are often more situational than player spells; choosing when to use a giant growth is inherently a pretty difficult decision in a tight game.

Like this post