It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HN's Grimoire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:08 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Greetings! This thread will heavily feature characters and events I wrote (or I'll write) about in the M:EM.

Sharaka, Ferocious Vanguard
Legendary Creature - Viashino Warrior
Whenever ~ attacks, blocks or fights, Viashino you control gain first strike until end of turn.
"We are viashino. We are steel, and steel has no fear. We are the mountain, and the mountain cannot be challenged. We will survive our enemies like fire survives moths."
3/3

Elphimas, the Storyteller
Legendary Planeswalker - Elphimas
Target permanent gains hexproof until your next turn. Draw a card.
Choose one card type, then choose aid or inhibit. If you chose aid, the spell of the chosen type cost :1: less to cast until the end of your next turn. If you chose inhibit, the spell of the chosen type cost :2: more to cast until the end of your next turn.
You get an emblem with "Discard a card: permanents you control gain hexproof and indestructible until end of turn."

Elphimas, Collector of Stories :u::u:
Legendary Planeswalker - Elphimas
Each player can draw two cards, then every player who did discards two cards.
Draw two cards. Each other player draws a card.
You get an emblem with “whenever an opponent draws cards, you may draw that many cards”.

Kalit Mudroha
Legendary Planeswalker – Kalit
Whenever a creature dies, put a loyalty counter of Kalit Mudroha.
Each player sacrifices a creature.
Destroy target creature.

Kalit’s Rampage
Sorcery
Deal X+1 damage to target creature, where X is the number of creature that died this turn. If that creature dies this way, repeat the process.

Fayn, Treasure Hunter
Legendary Creature - Rogue Spellshaper Human Spirit
:u:, discard a card: Exile ~. Return her into the battlefield tapped under her owner's control at the next end step.
:u:, discard a card: ~ can't be blocked this turn.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may return target artifact card with from that player's graveyard to the battlefield. If you don't, draw a card.
2/2

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

Post subject: Re: HN's Grimoire
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:27 am 

(most of the cards from the first post have been created or edited recently)

Ravager's Fang
Artifact - Equipment
When ~ enters the battlefield and whenever it is attached to a Shaman, you may exile target red instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 2 or less from a graveyard with a rune counter on it.
Whenever equipped creature attacks or blocks, you may copy a card you own with a rune counter on it in exile. If you do, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
Equip :2:

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:16 am 

Curse of Apathy
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever a spell controlled by enchanted player is countered, enchanted player shuffles a card from their hand in their library.

Raise the Stakes :u::b:
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller discards two cards.

Earthsong :1::r::g:
Enchantment
Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield under your control untapped, you may tap it. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control untapped, you may tap it. If you do, Earthsong deals 1 damage to any target.

Earth's Resurgence
Sorcery
For each land card in your graveyard, search your library for a basic land card and put it into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 pm 

Mindless Fury :r::r::r:
Enchantment
You can't play spells.
At the end of each turn, if you have lost life this turn, draw a card.
:x:, discard a red card with converted mana cost X: ~ deals X damage to any target.
Witty banter silenced and clever tactics forgotten, Sharaka charged with a scream of mad defiance.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm 

It would be interesting to see if a deck with that could be good. My first thought was that turning all of your spells into slightly better blaze sounds really bad even if you could choose the X you wanted, but then again, if you have enough cards this is Koth of the Hammer emblem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 am 

It largely depends on how much the deck revolves around it:
-having some assured way to lose 1 life each turn makes you draw 2 extra cards each turn, which can quickly fill your hand;
-having cards with activated abilities gives you options; something like Claws of Gix can burn the enchantment when you draw something too good to burn, and abilities like channel make sure you have some alternative to just throwing cards at your opponent.

But in a less specialized scenario, this card might bring you back from situations with people at the topdeck, locked boards and some kind of elusive attacker on the opponent's board, giving you the means to destroy it and/or winning the race by drawing extra cards, which does happen, for instance, in limited.

PS: Spear Spewer and Seismic Assault interact with this nicely without implementing another color.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm 

Stuttering Fate :u::u:
Sorcery
Shuffle target creature in its owner's library, then its controller draws a card.

Yawgmoth's Plague
Sorcery
Destroy target land, then for every color of mana that land could produce, creatures of that color get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Wherever the ambitious healer went, illness and tragedy followed.

I'm not confident in this wording, but I liked the idea a lot. I wanted to give a set debuff to any "related" creature, but the wording for that in my mind was even worse.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:42 am 

Fabria, Muse of Innovation
Legendary Creature - Angel Artificer
Activated abilities of artifacts you control cost :1: less to be activated.
Flying, vigilance
:w:, :t:: ~ deals damage equal to her power to target attacking or blocking creature.
Her savior gave her new wings. Her loyalty gives him new perspective.
3/6

[card art: a goggle-wearing angel with mechanical wings firing an energy rifle.]

Desperate Stand
Instant
Until end of turn, whenever a source an opponent controls would deal damage to a creature you control, put that many +1/+1 counters on that creature instead. At the beginning of your next end step, lose the game.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 am 

Jack, the Warsmith
Legendary Planeswalker - Jack
Add :w::w: to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate activated abilities of artifacts you control.
Deal 3 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. You may activate this ability on any player's turn any time you could cast an instant.
Create a token artifact that's a copy of target artifact card in a graveyard with converted mana cost X.

The "savior" mentioned in Fabria's card, a M:EM character I'm working on. He's a excellent artificer, having researched the Thran's work and other artifice-heavy civilizations, and also pretty good at testing his inventions on villains of various size. You can either ask his help to put together new work (+1), replicate some ancient masterpiece (-X) or just keep him as a bodyguard to protect you and other fellow 'walkers (-2). Jack is his chosen name to deliberately contrast pompous names, so he wouldn't be very happy of the title I gave him to give the card a decent-sounding name, but hey.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm 

Inspired by the concept of "reverse bolster".

Dead-Heart Vigilante :w::b:
Creature - Hound Assassin
Defender
When ~ enters the battlefield, topple 1. (choose one of the creatures with the most power and put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
"Power corrupts, and strength is power. I'm not immune to the rule, but if my corruption can end another, so shall it be."
3/1

The suicidal part wasn't intended at first, but still appreciated.

Crowd Control :b::r:
(The art represents weaponless protesters like in Rising Populace getting mowed down by military-looking mages)
Sorcery
Oppress. Whenever a creature dies this turn, its controller loses 2 life. (to oppress, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature with the least power.)
To care is to lose.

Autocratic Apex :b::b::b:
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a permanent, destroy that permanent and its controller loses 4 life.
Pay 4 life: enchanted creature gains hexproof and indestructible until end of turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, oppress twice, then lose 4 life unless you control two or more creatures.

Ideally the second instance of oppress would move on to new creatures if the ones affected by the first one died.

Edit: Alternative version, with "targeted" oppression:

Autocratic Apex :b::b::b:
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a permanent, destroy that permanent and oppress its controller. (that player puts a -1/-1 counter on each creature with the least power among the creature they control)
Pay 4 life: enchanted creature gains hexproof and indestructible until end of turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, oppress yourself, then lose 4 life unless you control two or more creatures.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:07 am 

Cards inspired by Ambiguity.

Vycriff Exodus :w::b:
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may discard a card. If you do, exile that creature haunting target creature.
Each creature you control has all abilities of creatures haunting it.
The desperate escape from a collapsing homeplane.

Cylat, Facet of Transcendence :2::u:
Artifact - Artificer
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 Golem creature token and put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is equal to the number of artifacts you control.
Whenever a nontoken artifact or Artificer enters the battlefield under your control, proliferate artifacts. (Choose any number of artifacts, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
"This is the moment for us to decide what we are and what we need, both as individuals and as a nation."

The character is able to inhabit multiple artifact bodies at the same time, hence the lack of Legendary subtype.
Alternative designs:

Cylat, Transcendent Visionary :1::u:
Legendary Artifact - Golem Artificer
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 counter on it and gain an emblem with "Whenever you would draw a card, you may reveal the first X cards of your library instead, where X is the number of artifacts and Artificers you control. If you do, put up to one artifact card from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Iron Army - At the end of your turn, if you control seven or more artifact creatures, proliferate artifacts.
0/2

The emblem represents Cylat staying to help you even after his body is lost. However, he needs arms to improve your stuff.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:50 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Apologies for responding to this late, but I believe the part that severely limits Mindless Fury is the ' with converted mana X' rider while also requiring the card to be red and the player to pay X mana. The card draw is already limited and situational since the cards red decks want the least are lands and thus would deal no damage even with a Painter's Servant. Combine this with the inability to cast spells and the parasitism for red, this seems better as a lock piece alongside Mycosynth Lattice than it does as a legitimate alternative win-con

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:31 am 

Fair enough, I guess 1 mana = 1 damage is pretty weak by :r: standards and the card draw doesn't make up for it. Would it be enough to take the cmc limitation out? The other way would be to buff the drawing engine, to encourage some trick like blinking or sacrificing it after refilling your hand. The mana cost was meant to be a parallel to Seismic Assault, but now that I look again Assault didn't require Mountains, so the "red" restriction should probably go.

(what do you mean by "parasitism for red"?)

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I believe removing the converted mana cost requirement would be best as then the player would still need to discard red spells to work with.

As for the 'parasitism for red' comment, this does not encourage the player to use red like, say Fanatic of Mogis; it requires the player to do so akin to Glacial Ray and other Splice onto Arcane cards. In a typical 60-card RDW, there will already be at least 15 lands and then the rest spells. If this was a RDW that splashed green or white for enchantment hate or black for card aggressive card advantage, then that is less red to work with here. And that is for constructed; in a draft setting, this makes this card a last pick because you cannot guarantee your color distribution.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:36 am 

Alright then, a second version:

Mindless Fury :r::r::r:
Enchantment
You can't play spells.
At the end of each turn, if you have lost life this turn, draw a card.
:x:, discard a nonland card: ~ deals X damage to any target.
Witty banter and clever tactics forgotten, Sharaka charged with a roar of mad defiance.

This would be significantly more viable in Sealed/Limited as a stallbreaker and punishment/deterrent for the classic little evasives; this is notably not a card for Constructed except as a tech in some ramp decks where the early game removals are "cast" as 8-damage finishers. (such decks might run Phyrexian Arena to draw loads of cards) From a flavor standpoint, I would prefer not to include land cards to the fuel for this card because they represent an instinctive bond, like the rampaging player was gathering more mana from the Eternities to smash their opponent to the ground.

EDIT: Unsure if adding "from your hand and graveyard" to the first line to allow Madness interaction, but maybe that would be unneeded text complexity?

My creative archive

Like this post