It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chopped
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:04 pm 

Phantom Wind Assassin
:3::b:
Creature - Spirit Assassin
Whenever Phantom Wind Assassin becomes blocked, you may untap it and remove it from combat.
:t:: Destroy target blocking creature.
"I'll hold him off!" Lorana, Kjeldoran Guard, Last words.
4/1

Ravenous Contagion
:2::b::b:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant non-Enchantment Permanent
Vanishing 3
When Ravenous Contagion leaves the battlefield, if it had no time counters on it, enchanted permanent's controller sacrifices it and creates two tokens that are copies of Ravenous Contagion, attached to permanents of their choice.
The people of Moag reverse-engineered Phyrexian remnants, hoping to build an age of extravagant plenty. In the end, only the oil remained.

Palace of 1001 Nights
Legendary Land
Palace of 1001 Nights enters the battlefield tapped doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
Exile a card from your hand: Untap Palace of 1001 Nights at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only during your turn and only once each turn.
:t:: Add an amount of mana equal to the number of exiled cards you own, in any combination of colors.
At the heart of the refractions of Rabiah lies Sharazad's domain -- a world of endless, starlit splendor few mortals are permitted to reach

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 pm 

Special note: From here on, there will be more cards, more criteria per card, or both. I understand that there is/will be a lot to do in a limited amount of time. As such, try to make at least one criterion per card if you can't spare the time for more. You will lose points for not including criteria, but not as much as not making the required number of cards. Obviously, if you can make all the cards and include every criterion, that will be to your advantage. Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work.

(This notice has been added to the round announcement.)

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Gustcloak, rules text > 13 words.

Burnwillow Lyrist
Creature — Dryad (R)
2/2
Haste
Burnwillow Lyrist must be blocked if able.
Whenever Burnwillow Lyrist becomes blocked, you may untap it and remove it from combat. If you do, you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped, attacking, and blocked by each creature that was blocking Burnwillow Lyrist.
“Oh, my. Seems you’re not the only one who finds my voice enchanting.”

Land, consequences of greed.

Forgotten Paradise
Land (R)
: Add one mana of any color no other lands could produce.
“Oh, how we loved this spot of land. We’d play and learn here, a place where our imaginations ran wild. But as we grew, it became mundane, and we sated our curiosities elsewhere. How greedy we were to explore, and rob this place of its wonder.”
—Rinaea, somber wayfinder

Biocurse, doesn't untap, also rules text > 13 words.

Torgaar, the Howling Famine
Legendary Creature — Avatar (R)
7/7
Torgaar, the Howling Famine enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Whenever another creature dies, untap Torgaar.
: Put a -1/-1 counter on each other creature.
Hunger only ends when there are no stomachs left to feel it.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 pm 

Ithichian Maze
Land - Maze | {R}
: Untap target attacking creature and remove it from combat. Ithichian Maze doesn't untap during your next untap step.
: Add .

Notes: Non-white gustcloak, doesn't untap during controller's untap step, is a land, uses 13 or more words. Pretty standard Maze of Ith variant, literally. I don't care if you think it's too simple. In fact, I think the fact that I've been able to fulfill such criteria using Commons is something I can take pride in.

Counting Collector |
Creature - Vampire Advisor | {U}
Whenever Counting Collector or another creature you control dies, create a colorless artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color." and you lose 1 life.
Whenever you sacrifice an artifact, you lose 1 life.
[3/1]

Notes: Tragic greed, could also be 13 or more words. You want lots of mana? Counting Collector can give it to you. We don't see enough black "power, at any price" cards, and I always liked them. This can rocket you up in mana, but it'll cost you a lot of life to do so.

Curse of Many Forms |
Enchantment - Aura Curse | {R}
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature is a Shapeshifter in addition to its other types.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature and it becomes a copy of that creature.

Notes: Biocurse, could also be a tragic consequence of greed for copying effects, but that's a stretch, and also 13 or more words. A classic sci-fi trope is a creature that changes shape, but painfully so. This creature will keep changing its shape until it dies.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:51 am 

A non-white use of the gustcloak ability. (Gustcloak Runner)
* Uses 13 or more words in the rules text. (Words in italics don't count. Yes, even those.)
* Could be described as a "biocurse"
* Depicts the tragic consequences of greed
* Doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
* Is a land

More than 13 words, non-white use of Gustcloak ability

Grim, of the Blood Floor -
Legendary Creature - Human Assassin
Flash
Whenever ~ blocks a creature, untap ~ and that creature and remove them from combat.
: Shuffle ~ into your library. Destroy all tapped creatures with or tied for the lowest power among all tapped creatures.
2/3

Land, greed, doesn't untap (Hope this counts)

Unstable Mine Shaft
Land
: Create a colorless artifact token named Gold. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.". Then, ~ doesn't untap during the beginning of your next untap step unless you put a Greed counter on it.
When ~ has three or more Greed counters on it, transform it.
////////
Sunken Mine Shaft
Land - Waste
When this card transforms into ~, sacrifice three creatures and you lose half of your life total rounded up.

'Biocurse'

Poisoned Bloodline -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
Whenever a creature that shares a creature type with the enchanted creature enters the battlefield, create a copy of ~ enchanting that creature.
The deeper the family tree, the deeper the afflictions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:43 pm 

So, I have the grades done for this round. If every contestant agrees, I can post it early so you all have more time to work on the next round.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm 

I'm good.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:12 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Yes please.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 pm 

huzzah

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

Q is 564453

Yarium

Confused

Just want to say, there were a lot of great cards this round. I'm looking forward to what you all make next.

Standings:
1) Yarium
2) Q is 564453
3) Tevish Szat
4) Confused

Confused is elminated. Thank you for playing.

Make 2 cards that together satisfy these criteria:

* Has 3 colors in its identity
* A wish granted by something like the monkey's paw. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw)
* A greater race (dragon, angel, demon, etc) hybridized with a lesser race (Human, vedalken, elves, etc)
* Does something while in the graveyard.
* Legendary

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
YingLung wrote:
Tomahawk to the Throat - A good terror variant. Name feels like a placeholder, and has pretty much nothing to do with the discard effect.

This is what happens when I design cards during the NLDS

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

Sharain, Sultan of the Dark Maelstrom
:1::u::r::b:
Legendary Creature - Human Djinn Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card and Sharain, Sultain of the Dark Maelstrom deals 2 damage to you.
Whenever a source you control deals damage to you, Sharain, Sultan of the Dark Maelstrom deals that much damage to each opponent.
Sharain may have been born the son of a Juzam Djinn, but his cruelty was all his own.
3/5

Sharain's Gift
:2::b:
Sorcery
Search your library for a card. An opponent guesses that card's name. If Sharain's Gift wasn't cast from your hand, they guess twice instead. Reveal that card. If they guessed wrong, put that card into your hand. Otherwise Sharain's Gift deals damage to you equal to half your life, rounded up. Then shuffle your library.
Flashback :b:
"The price of your wish is simple: entertain me. Fail, and the penalty is sure to do so at your great expense." - Sharain, Sultan of the Dark Maelstrom

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 pm 

Well, the idea for Grim is to flash out, block and then cull on your turn. Giving haste makes him a 4-cmc one-sided boardwipe of sorts.

For the mine, control decks don't play creatures, yes?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 pm 

Hmm. I see what you mean about haste being unnecessary.

Depends on the control deck, and I'll admit I wasn't thinking about balance in the context of a creatureless deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Conceding this round. Confused can take my spot. I spent all day working and traveling, and I'm finally looking at the criteria and it's 11 pm in a time zone two hours behind my normal time zone and I have work early tomorrow and I'm exhausted.

Fun contest, though. I agree with razorborne that this would be much more doable with week long rounds.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:37 am 

Sorry to hear that, Q. Good luck with work.

Confused, if you want, you may take his place.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 am 

Demon of Wishes |
Creature - Demon | {R}
Flying, Trample
Demon of Wishes enters the graveyard with three wish counters on it.
, Remove a wish counter from Demon of Wishes: Reveal the top card of your library. You may play that card without payings its mana cost. If you don't, exile it. Only opponents may activate this ability while Demon of Wishes is in your graveyard.
[6/6]

Notes: Corrupted wishes, works from gaveyard. An evil version of Djinn of Wishes. I kept trying to make something that was working on the concept that wishes in Magic take the form of casting from the library, grabbing from the library, or grabbing from outside the game. A lot of those templates used Djinn of Wishes. Then I realized that a more direct homage might be very appropriate here. Was originally going to have it enter the battlefield with wish counters, but I needed to work in the graveyard mechanic somewhere. Inspiration struck, and I got the idea of having the first card in a graveyard that gets counters on it. It might seem a little weird at first, and maybe some rules would need to change, but its a neat way to show how you get your "wish" of a big, powerful demon to destroy your opponents with (in the same 4cmc big demon that helps opponents vein), but once destroyed, your opponent can get powerful benefits out of.

Bountess of Rivers |
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Angel | {MR}
Flying, Islandwalk, Hexproof from converted mana cost 3 or less
Merfolk you control have hexproof from converted mana cost 3 or less.
Permanents you control untap during each untap step.
[3/3]

Notes: 3-color identity, legendary, greater+minor race. Bountess of Rivers is something that a lot of Merfolk aspire to be; hard to hit, and easy to slip by, while never really giving your opponent a chance to catch you unguarded. She flies in case your opponent has no islands, but if they do, she's unblockable. She is hard to hit with the small-time kill spells, which would make her stronger in Constructed, but more easily answered in Limited, so she doesn't horribly skew games. She untaps all your stuff each untap step. Very powerful ability befitting a 4cmc legendary creature of 3 colours. She's also helping her people, making them also hard to hit, and untapping them as well. All in all, feels very Merfolk-angel-ish.

Last edited by Yarium on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm 

Thanks Q.

* Has 3 colors in its identity
* A wish granted by something like the monkey's paw. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw)
* A greater race (dragon, angel, demon, etc) hybridized with a lesser race (Human, vedalken, elves, etc)
* Does something while in the graveyard.
* Legendary

=WIP

Not sure if I have enough time to think of something though. If it is past the end time, then just end the round.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:50 pm 

Due to the late notice, I can extend the deadline to 5PM MST today, if you need it. The last round will be 48 hours long, so an hour's difference shouldn't make as much of an impact.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:58 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

Yarium

Confused

Standings:
1) Tevish Szat
2) Yarium
3) Confused

Confused is eliminated. Thank you for playing.

Round 5:

Make 3 cards that together satisfy these criteria:

* Kamigawa inspired (mechanics or flavor)
* Counts something (eg devotion, threshold, affinity)
* Is an aura
* Depicts some form of time travel, or its consequences
* Gains control of a creature
* Enemy colored multicolored card
* Flavor must be as mundane as possible (eg: Lumpy Rock, or Town Carpenter, or When You Stub Your Toe.
* Art matters (mechanics based on card illustrations)
* Related to one of the legendary cards one of the other contestants made last round

Round ends Sat. 10/13 at 4PM MST.

Like this post