It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
If you go naya, midrange is probably the best option. Allows for caryatid for fixing and domri or xenagos for gas. That pro blue hydra and lightning face dragon seem good too.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
tl;dr this thread.
Here's what we have been testing:
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Carytid
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Advent of the Wurm
2 Archangel of Thune
3 Selesnya Charm
4 Dryad militant
Landz

the deck had a pretty decent clock and was able to beat mono-red (which was wrecking most everything else in our testing)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:49 pm 

I really, really, like WG/x post rotation. The lion is just nutty, and with all the 2/1s for 1 available, it is going to be crazy.

I'm actually fiddling with a wbrg zoo monstrosity that I'll post up in a bit.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 am 

I'm still going to try my Prophet Revelation deck. 3 prophets + 4 sphinx's revelations + 2 Zeganas + WG beater shell. But I see myself ending up in straight GW.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm 

rstnme wrote:
No need to apologize--the thread is really just dedicated to the inevitable Selesnya-based beaters deck that'll pop up post-rotation. Considering there's a lot of talk about RDW, I think the deck is well-positioned. Also, thanks for posting something specific.

There's a lot of value in the Trostani deck, I haven't tried it because I think I'm spoiled by the pre-rotation mana bases. Have you tested?

I think a straight up aggro deck would look something like:

4x Dryad Militant
4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Experiment One
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Call of the Conclave
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Loxodon Smiter
4x Advent of the Wurm
3x Selesnya Charm
3x Warriors' Lesson
4x Temple Garden
10x Forest
8x Plains

I might be crazy, but I think it's actually too slow compared to RDW. Warriors' Lesson I feel like is going to have to be a clutch card, catching the deck up after your opponent's BTE plays.

I've been testing something almost exactly like that and it's been doing pretty well. I can't say I've tried against RDW yet though. Soldier of the Pantheon is doing even better than I expected. Only problem is that I can't target him with charm.

I'm playing 4 of Charm and only 3 smiter. I'd play 8 charms if I could, they're that good. The last 3 slots (where you have warrior's lesson) are still up in the air. I tried rootborn defense, but it's been average. It can be bunker, but it often rots in my hands. I tried brave the elements, but the fact that the wurm and centaur token, as well as experiment one aren't white is problematic. Maybe I should go with some removal, but all I can think of is celestial flare, which sucks because it doesn't get rid of blockers until after they blocked! Might as well play a combat trick.

As for people suggesting Naya, I just can't see it happening. In GW only, I already get mana problems. They're not severe, but they do cost me a turn, which is pretty deadly in aggro. I just can't imagine trying to add a 3rd color to the mix and having to play CIPT lands!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 pm 

Imposing Sovereign could be an option, as well as God's Willing. Both put a stop to aggro and let late-game damage go through. I think not running four loxes is a mistake personally, that guy is always welcome to my party. I like the possibility of Willing just for the Scry. Being able to ship a crappy topdeck or hit your fourth land drop seems pretty clutch, and could justify going down to 21 lands.

What about Heliod's Spear? It seems like a decent topdeck late game when you're about to swarm.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 pm 

rstnme wrote:
Imposing Sovereign could be an option, as well as God's Willing. Both put a stop to aggro and let late-game damage go through.

Sovereign is a good card, but probably a SB for me. I don't think more guys is what this deck needs, considering all other cards are already guys (or potential guys, in the case of charm).

Willing is an option, but I didn't try it because I didn't see it being much better than brave the elements. It's worth a try though.

Quote:
I think not running four loxes is a mistake personally, that guy is always welcome to my party.

He's obviously awesome, but he felt like the weakest link to me. I could play a 4th one over the mystery three cards that I can't settle on, but again, I feel like the deck needs something other than guys. Too often, I was stuck in a stalemate and just playing more dudes didn't help. I could cut one dryad for the 4th smiter.

Quote:
What about Heliod's Spear? It seems like a decent topdeck late game when you're about to swarm.

I've never been a fan of glorious anthem and this feels worse than glorious anthem to me. I'd rather have the bow I think. Come to think of it, I might try one or two bows! The deathtouch will make the alpha strike into a full board much more profitable and the other ability is very flexible and can be tons of value.

It could be Unflinching Courage as well, like you had in your initial post. Right now I have it in the board, but it might be worth MD.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm 

Let me know how the bow does! I had it in an original list, but still am not out of goldfishing in my testing. I think I read somewhere that Ready // Willing was a strictly better rootborn defense bc of the untap too.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 pm 

rstnme wrote:
Let me know how the bow does! I had it in an original list, but still am not out of goldfishing in my testing. I think I read somewhere that Ready // Willing was a strictly better rootborn defense bc of the untap too.

I hadn't even considered ready//willing. The thing is, in this deck, you have a lot of tokens you can populate (centaur, charm, wurm, voice). I'm not sure how often the untap is relevant. Probably depends on the matchup. Rootborn is better against control (as a response to wrath), ready might be better against the mirror or even midrange, allowing you to alpha strike and still block, or catch attackers in a trap.

It's an interesting option.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:04 pm 

It definitely gives you an out if you have the bow. Swing in for deathtouch, then indestructible untap if they swing back.

A lot of these are meta decisions though. Like, I like Lox bc I think Anger of the Gods might be a thing.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post