It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:21 am 

Hey everybody! So I'm starting out in commander, which has made me realize I'm very bad at making commander decks. I've fell in love with mistform ultimus as a commander, and know the general idea of how his deck works, but the specifics of what will be better or worse allude me. In general, he is used as a voltron commander, and one uses blue tribal creatures and spells to buff him while taking advantage of the color's control aspects to fend off the opponent.

I thought it'd be a good idea to use a preexisting deck as the backbone for mine, and build off that. I'm currently working on a budget around 150.00$. The decks I was looking at are:
deck 1)
Spoiler

deck 2)
Spoiler

deck 3)
Spoiler

Also heres a link to a very expensive deck that is kind of the prime version of this deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ultimate-tribal-lords/

Deck 3 is especially appealing as it is the cheapest of all three, while the other two, I would most likely need to downgrade to fit into budget. However, it seems like it needs some serious updates/there are certain obvious cards to add that aren't in it. I think deck 2 is the best out of all of them. Certain cards like Arcane Adaptation I know I'll be adding, and I was thinking it might be a good idea to streamline the tribal synergies to just merfolk/sliver/fairy unless completely vital to the deck.

I was wondering if anybody could point me to what they think is the best deck, give any suggestions for cards that are missing from all three/cards to add from one deck to another, or any other opinions. Thank u for helping

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:37 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
I definitely recommend having a few key creature types and only branching out for really good cards. I run a 5 color all changelings and lords deck, so that's where we diverge/ My focus is spread pretty thin, but the deck's a ton of fun

Merfolk and slivers are good foundations. In a blue changeling deck the main options are probably evasion + lords and repeatable etb triggers. Choosing one could help you focus your efforts.

Having "lords" for blue creatures in a deck about creature types feels off to me. Your tastes may differ from mine though.

Cloning effects like Soul Foundry, Rite Of Replication and Cackling Counterpart can do serious work when you start getting multiple copies of lords. If your focus is going wide or just big you should absolutely include a few.

None of those lists have the new modern horizons changeling cards. For a blue deck those would be:
Amorphous Axe
Universal Automaton
Birthing Boughs
And the sliver is Scuttling Sliver.

I've found that the Mistform cards underperform. Paying mana each turn to spread out tribal bonuses usually isn't as good as playing another lord or changeling.
Jwari Shapeshifter is a cheap on-theme clone if you have enough changelings.
Umara Raptor is a decent creature to fill out low cmcs.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post