It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:15 pm 

Identity: Dragon
I know G/B graveyard shenanigans is hardly a new concept in EDH, but Meren is the first commander to tickle my fancy for this strategy.

Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures (27)
1 x Caustic Caterpillar
1 x Den Protector
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Scavenging Ooze
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Fertilid
1 x Big Game Hunter
1 x Pharika, God of Affliction
1 x Skullwinder
1 x Burnished Hart
1 x Yavimaya Granger
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Smothering Abomination
1 x Hell's Caretaker
1 x Wolfbriar Elemental
1 x Pharika's Mender
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x Shriekmaw
1 x Greenwarden of Murasa
1 x Kokusho, the Evening Star
1 x Scourge of Nel Toth
1 x Sepulchral Primordial
1 x Avenger of Zendikar
1 x Deathbringer Regent
1 x Hornet Queen
1 x Avatar of Woe

Enchantment (10)
1 x Night Soil
1 x Evolutionary Leap
1 x Attrition
1 x Awakening Zone
1 x From Beyond
1 x Deathreap Ritual
1 x Grave pact
1 x Perilous Forays
1 x Deadbridge Chant
1 x Grave Betrayal

Artifact (8)
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Mind Stone
1 x Hedron Archive
1 x Dreamstone Hedron
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Skullclamp
1 x Phyrexian Vault
1 x Darksteel Plate

Sorceries (5)
1 x Gaze of Granite
1 x Dread Return
1 x Deadly Tempest
1 x Hex
1 x Decree of Pain

Instants (5)
1 x Putrefy
1 x Momentous Fall
1 x Hero's Downfall
1 x Silence the Believers
1 x Rescue from the Underworld

Planeswalkers (7)
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Liliana, Heretical Healer
1 x Garruk Relentless
1 x Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 x Vraska the Unseen
1 x Garruk, Apex Predator

Lands (37)
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Dust Bowl
1 x High Market
1 x Grim Backwoods
1 x Blighted Woodland
1 x Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
1 x Yavimaya Hollow
1 x Phyrexian Tower
1 x Bojuka Bog
1 x Command Tower
1 x Golgari Guildgate
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Jungle Hollow
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Llanowar Wastes
1 x Temple of Malady
1 x Woodland Cemetery
10 x Forest
10 x Swamp

More Options (should I put any of them in? If so, what comes out for it?)
1 x Carnage Altar
1 x Malevolent Awakening
1 x Carven Caryatid
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Fallen Ideal
1 x Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 x Conclave Naturalists
1 x Plaguemaw Beast
1 x Champion of Stray Souls
1 x Devouring Strossus
1 x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

I'm not particularly attached to any one card in the deck, so if anyone has any ideas I'm well open to any suggestions or changes. I'm also slightly concerned that my curve is too high, I'm not sure though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 pm 

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:47 pm 

I only have 6 targets for it Shirei the deck as it stands right now. Is that enough?
Or do you have other ideas for cards that work with both Shirei and Meren?
Is it worth adding more Shirei toolbox since the two are so similar?

Other Cards
1 x Mycoloth
1 x Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
1 x Wretched Confluence
1 x Verdant Confluence

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 am 

Updates:
Cards Removed (9):
1 x Vraska the Unseen
1 x Decree of Pain
1 x Hex
1 x Wolfbriar Elemental
1 x Avatar of Woe
1 x Darksteel Plate
1 x Skullclamp
1 x Garruk, Apex Predator
1 x Awakening Zone

Cards Added (9):
1 x Carven Caryatid/Wall of Blossoms either one works, the Meren deck comes with a Wall of Blossoms so I'll probably use that
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Fallen Ideal
1 x Devouring Strossus
1 x Plaguemaw Beast
1 x Mycoloth
1 x Verdant Confluence

Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures (32)
1 x Caustic Caterpillar
1 x Den Protector
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Scavenging Ooze
1 x Wall of Blossoms
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Fertilid
1 x Big Game Hunter
1 x Skullwinder
1 x Burnished Hart
1 x Yavimaya Granger
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Hell's Caretaker
1 x Pharika's Mender
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x Shriekmaw
1 x Plaguemaw Beast
1 x Mycoloth
1 x Scourge of Nel Toth
1 x Avenger of Zendikar
1 x Deathbringer Regent
1 x Hornet Queen
1 x Devouring Strossus

Enchantment (10)
1 x Night Soil
1 x Evolutionary Leap
1 x Attrition
1 x Fallen Ideal
1 x From Beyond
1 x Deathreap Ritual
1 x Grave pact
1 x Perilous Forays
1 x Deadbridge Chant
1 x Grave Betrayal

Artifact (6)
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Mind Stone
1 x Hedron Archive
1 x Dreamstone Hedron
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Phyrexian Vault

Sorceries (4)
1 x Gaze of Granite
1 x Dread Return
1 x Deadly Tempest
1 x Verdant Confluence

Instants (5)
1 x Putrefy
1 x Momentous Fall
1 x Hero's Downfall

Planeswalkers (5)
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Garruk Relentless
1 x Ob Nixilis Reignited

Lands (37)
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Dust Bowl
1 x High Market
1 x Grim Backwoods
1 x Blighted Woodland
1 x Yavimaya Hollow
1 x Phyrexian Tower
1 x Bojuka Bog
1 x Command Tower
1 x Golgari Guildgate
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Jungle Hollow
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Llanowar Wastes
1 x Temple of Malady
1 x Woodland Cemetery
10 x Forest
10 x Swamp

After having stared at this list for a couple of hours trying to fit in some of the optional cards that both I and AzureShade have mentioned I'm a little more attached to this version of the list. However this attachment is only on a theoretical level and I am still plenty willing for people to mention other options. Since I got no response about Shirei, I've gone with my initial thoughts on it and left it out.

As it stands I still want to try to squeeze in Wretched Confluence, but I'm not certain what to cut.
Some possible options to be cut include:
Perilous forays
From Beyond
Momentous Fall
Mind Stone
Hedron Archive
Dreamstone Hedron
Liliana of the Veil

I'm currently leaning towards Liliana of the Veil as I suspect the +1 will just draw the ire of the entire table. Also LotV is the only one of those cards that doesn't add mana or draw cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:34 pm 

I have something similar in brew, and Doomgape gets things done. It's cheaper and bigger than Devouring Strossus, albeit not flying nor regenerating. And it buffs your life, of course - including granting you 10 life when it eats itself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 am 

I have something similar in brew, and Doomgape gets things done. It's cheaper and bigger than Devouring Strossus, albeit not flying nor regenerating. And it buffs your life, of course - including granting you 10 life when it eats itself.

Doomgape is interesting, but one of the things I was looking for when I selected Devouring Strossus is that I wanted a mana-free instant speed sac outlet. This one doubles as a really resilient evasive threat. The biggest downside to the Strossus compared to Doomgape is that the gape gives you a lot of life, but since the strossus gives me the sac outlet I want I'm inclined to give it the slight edge. If, after playing with the deck, I find I want the life I'll try to fit in the gape, but on paper the strossus seems more in line with what I want to do.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:58 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I think you have too many instants and sorceries, and not enough creatures. Go with creatures with either ETB triggers or "when a creature dies" creatures. Some I'd recommend are Butcher of Malakir (which is Grave Pact on a body), Harvester of Souls, Ogre Slumlord, Massacre Wurm, Pentavus, Doomgape, Stronghold Assassin, one or more Bone Shredder or Nekrataal(which I'd yank Hero's Downfall for him), Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, and Ondu Giant

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:25 pm 

Cards Removed (6):
1 x Dreamstone Hedron
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Phyrexian Vault
1 x Swamp
1 x Golgari Guildgate
1 x Dust Bowl

Cards Added (6):
1 x Wretched Confluence
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Carnage Altar
1 x Forest
1 x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 x Ghost Quarter

I decided to remove the dreamstone hedron for wretched confluence instead of LotV since I honestly just really want to try LotV (I have an alter and I don't play modern so...XD). And while dreamstone Hedron can add mana and draw three cards, Wretched confluence can "draw" three cards from two separate sources (my library and graveyard) so it is entirely reasonable to assume it will be able to specifically grab mana producing/land finding cards. The Greaves for Boots swap is just because the Meren deck already comes with Greaves. The Carnage Altar for Phyrexian Vault swap is because I already have an Altar and not a Vault and also Altar doesn't have to tap to activate, even if it costs 1 more mana per activation. The swamp and guildgate for the the forest and Urborg, ToY swap should be self explanatory. The Dust Bowl for Ghost Quarter swap is because I have a ghost quarter and not a dust bowl, ghost quarter doesn't cost mana to sac, and I have enough recursion that if I really need to kill another troublesome land I can just get the ghost quarter back.

Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures (32)
1 x Caustic Caterpillar
1 x Den Protector
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Scavenging Ooze
1 x Wall of Blossoms
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Fertilid
1 x Big Game Hunter
1 x Skullwinder
1 x Burnished Hart
1 x Yavimaya Granger
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Hell's Caretaker
1 x Pharika's Mender
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x Shriekmaw
1 x Plaguemaw Beast
1 x Mycoloth
1 x Scourge of Nel Toth
1 x Avenger of Zendikar
1 x Deathbringer Regent
1 x Hornet Queen
1 x Devouring Strossus

Enchantment (10)
1 x Night Soil
1 x Evolutionary Leap
1 x Attrition
1 x Fallen Ideal
1 x From Beyond
1 x Deathreap Ritual
1 x Grave pact
1 x Perilous Forays
1 x Deadbridge Chant
1 x Grave Betrayal

Artifact (5)
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Mind Stone
1 x Hedron Archive
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Carnage Altar

Sorceries (4)
1 x Gaze of Granite
1 x Dread Return
1 x Deadly Tempest
1 x Verdant Confluence

Instants (6)
1 x Putrefy
1 x Momentous Fall
1 x Hero's Downfall
1 x Wretched Confluence

Planeswalkers (5)
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Garruk Relentless
1 x Ob Nixilis Reignited

Lands (37)
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Ghost Quarter
1 x High Market
1 x Grim Backwoods
1 x Blighted Woodland
1 x Yavimaya Hollow
1 x Phyrexian Tower
1 x Bojuka Bog
1 x Command Tower
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Jungle Hollow
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Llanowar Wastes
1 x Temple of Malady
1 x Woodland Cemetery
11 x Forest
9 x Swamp

I think you have too many instants and sorceries, and not enough creatures. Go with creatures with either ETB triggers or "when a creature dies" creatures. Some I'd recommend are Butcher of Malakir (which is Grave Pact on a body), Harvester of Souls, Ogre Slumlord, Massacre Wurm, Pentavus, Doomgape, Stronghold Assassin, one or more Bone Shredder or Nekrataal(which I'd yank Hero's Downfall for him), Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, and Ondu Giant

Butcher of Malakir for Grave Pact is something that I'm honestly on the fence about. I understand the desire for a lot of creatures in Meren, but Grave Pact is just so much cheaper and so much harder to kill. Even if I can just reanimate Butcher at EOT it still drives up my curve and if I'm not reanimating Butcher that means I can reanimate something else (not that butcher is a bad thing to reanimate mind you).
Harvester of Souls is fun, but what would I cut? Again, it drives up my curve if I'm not careful.
Ogre Slumlord's effect is nice, but again, what to cut? My other non-creature based creature token producers serve an additional purpose beyond making creatures.
Massacre Wurm is interesting, but with as big as creatures get in EDH is it's ETB trigger really going to kill much outiside of a token deck? I suppose that second ability can just kill someone if a boardwipe happens when it's around. I'll definitely think about it, but again, what to cut.
Pentavus seems like such a silly card with Mazirek. I'll try to find a spot for it.
What would Doomgape go in for? I already explained why I like Devouring Strossus more than it.
Stronghold Assassin could go in for Attrition if I find I really need the creatures, but I really dislike how easy it is to kill the assassin.
Bone Shredder and Nekrataal are fine cards and relatively low costed to be sure, but Hero's Downfall is instant speed and direct planeswalker removal to boot. I don't know if I feel comfortable with that swap.
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is a big dumb beater and a griefer. I like to avoid griefer cards if at all possible (personal preference) unless they are absolutely necessary. As for the big dumb, beater part, I've already got some of those and they fill other roles too.
Ondu Giant is good. I thought I had enough ramp, but if you think otherwise, please feel free to suggest something to come out.

As it stands right now, the deck actually has 34 creatures, 32 normal ones and 2 origins walkers, plus 9-10 (depending on how you count deadbridge chant) other cards that can either generate or get other creatures, and if I really need it Svogthos. I feel like 44 creature sources is pretty good for Meren even if I can only get 34 of them back. Of course I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks a ton to everyone! ^_^

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:45 pm 

Flyheight wrote:
Cards Removed (6):
[deck]
Butcher of Malakir for Grave Pact is something that I'm honestly on the fence about. I understand the desire for a lot of creatures in Meren, but Grave Pact is just so much cheaper and so much harder to kill. Even if I can just reanimate Butcher at EOT it still drives up my curve and if I'm not reanimating Butcher that means I can reanimate something else (not that butcher is a bad thing to reanimate mind you).
Harvester of Souls is fun, but what would I cut? Again, it drives up my curve if I'm not careful.
Ogre Slumlord's effect is nice, but again, what to cut? My other non-creature based creature token producers serve an additional purpose beyond making creatures.
Massacre Wurm is interesting, but with as big as creatures get in EDH is it's ETB trigger really going to kill much outiside of a token deck? I suppose that second ability can just kill someone if a boardwipe happens when it's around. I'll definitely think about it, but again, what to cut.
Pentavus seems like such a silly card with Mazirek. I'll try to find a spot for it.
What would Doomgape go in for? I already explained why I like Devouring Strossus more than it.
Stronghold Assassin could go in for Attrition if I find I really need the creatures, but I really dislike how easy it is to kill the assassin.
Bone Shredder and Nekrataal are fine cards and relatively low costed to be sure, but Hero's Downfall is instant speed and direct planeswalker removal to boot. I don't know if I feel comfortable with that swap.
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is a big dumb beater and a griefer. I like to avoid griefer cards if at all possible (personal preference) unless they are absolutely necessary. As for the big dumb, beater part, I've already got some of those and they fill other roles too.
Ondu Giant is good. I thought I had enough ramp, but if you think otherwise, please feel free to suggest something to come out.

As it stands right now, the deck actually has 34 creatures, 32 normal ones and 2 origins walkers, plus 9-10 (depending on how you count deadbridge chant) other cards that can either generate or get other creatures, and if I really need it Svogthos. I feel like 44 creature sources is pretty good for Meren even if I can only get 34 of them back. Of course I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks a ton to everyone! ^_^

You're welcome. In regards to "what to cut", I think you're still a little instant and sorcery heavy. EDH is a format where instants and sorceries aren't as usual as other formats (far better for things to be on a body), and having somebody like Meren just makes that even more so. For example, I'd swap Momentous Fall for Harvester. Likewise, I'd cut Hex or Gaze of Granite for Massacre Wurm.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 am 

Someone's trying to flood the board? We got this: Gaze of Granite
avenger of zendikar?
Eternal Witness, grabs Gaze of Granite. Recast Gaze of Granite.
Omnath, Locus of Rage into 3 fetch lands?
Deathbringer Regent is on duty, just remember to cast Wretched Confluence first.
Omnath came back? MORE fetch lands?
Good thing Meren grabbed E witness last turn.
E. Witness, grabs Gaze of Granite. Cast Putrefy on Omnath. Gaze of Granite again.

This deck is #ValueTown.
However it needs moar beef.
And apparently I was mistaken about the curve of my deck. So long as I get any one of my many creature based rampers out Meren returns them every turn for more ramp. lands are not an issue.

Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger should help. I'm finding I don't really need Deathreap Ritual so it can go (Granted I haven't drawn it yet, but I don't seem to have a problem keeping a loaded hand). Don't want Infinite Gyre because I like my graveyard where it is.
I don't have a derphoof and i don't want to shell out the mucho munnies for it.
Butcher of Malakir for gravepact is fine.
Eater of Hope for Mindstone
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa for Hedron Archive for that push
Colossus of Akros for Carnage Altar although I'm wary of putting in cards i would have a hard time dealing with in case they get stolen...

Other potential swaps
Anvil of Bogardan for Momentous Downfall. Ok so it's not fat, but it's dumb in Meren.
Duplicant for Shriekmaw. upgrade.
Temur Sabertooth for Hell's Caretaker. because I actually have a sabertooth and i already have an amazing recursion package and the cat isn't limited to my upkeep.

Cards I'm considering
Mindslicer for when I feel like being a jerk.
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon for if I find I want a flyer that can deal with indestructible stuff and/or outrageous life totals.
Garruk's Horde It's big and it "draws" cards, but I'm thinking I want more resiliency from my threats...not sure.
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord scales off my yard, but do I have enough other fat stuff for the second ability to be relevant
Rampaging Baloths I do find a crap ton of lands...
Soul of New Phyrexia is a 6/6 trampler that makes my team survive my own wraths
Worldspine Wurm is titanic and resilient, but it has that annoying shuffle clause (at least it doesn't take the rest of my yard with it)
Primordial Hydra if it survives a turn it's game over if I get it out late game.

I still don't have all the deck even as it stands before these potential modifications so I want to be careful that I'm not overcompensating. I'm probably only going to make swaps in stages.
I really need to pick up strossus, koko puffs, and grave betrayal before I go too much further.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:57 am 

Flyheight wrote:
avenger of zendikar?
Deathbringer Regent is on duty, just remember to cast Wretched Confluence first.
E. Witness, grabs Gaze of Granite. Cast Putrefy on Omnath. Gaze of Granite again.

I'm not disputing that Gaze of Granite is a GOOD card.
What I'm saying is it's the wrong card for THIS commander.
This commander says, "run nothing but creatures and lands"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:15 pm 

Flyheight wrote:
avenger of zendikar?

I'm not disputing that Gaze of Granite is a GOOD card.
What I'm saying is it's the wrong card for THIS commander.
This commander says, "run nothing but creatures and lands"

I see where you're coming from, however I must respectfully disagree.
After having played her, while you do want a critical mass of creatures she's definitely not so hardcore that you should avoid all other card types. You restrict yourself too much when you're only playing 2 colors if you don't include any instants/sorceries/enchantments/artifacts/planeswalkers. Even with my Animar deck I couldn't bring myself to stick solely to creatures and lands and that's 3 colors with a general that REALLY wants as many creatures as possible. In fact I like Gaze of Granite so much I almost want to shell out for a Pernicious Deed. Being able to blow all enchantments and walkers along with creatures is really nice.
If there's an analogous creature card to Gaze of Granite and Pernicious Deed I'd be all over that, but I don't know of any such card.

If you're concerned about being able to reuse non-creature effects, so far I haven't had an issue: Between Eternal Witness, Den Protector, Skullwinder, Greenwarden of Murasa, and Deadbridge Chant along with my card draw/filter/deck thinning capabilities I can generally find one of my ways to get non-creatures back. I will admit that I've only had 5 games with the deck and that 3 of those games were 1 v 1 just testing out various cards, but until I run into an issue I don't see a reason to fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

Thank you for your input nonetheless. It's always good to hear other people's opinions and reasoning.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:47 am 

This deck says "Run sac effects and ETB creatures"

You don't even need that many creatures, just ways to fill your yard.

Talcar Battle Map
The Tower
Initiative Order
Talcar Characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:08 am 

The deck has gone through a couple more card swaps and I'm liking it more and more as I feel like it functions just a little better each time.
It still had trouble closing the game tonight, but I just added some more higher power level cards (The Gitrog Monster, Ulvenwald Hydra, Vedalken Orrery, Genesis Wave, Tooth and Nail, and Rise of the Dark Realms) and I think it's getting better.
I looked at derphoof but I don't think the deck provides the creature base to support him. Or rather I keep saccing the creature base so it doesn't generally stay on the field all that long...XD

I don't actually own the T&N yet, but I'm working on it. :)

At the moment though I'm trying to find room for one card:
Stinkweed Imp
It's cheap, it flies, it has deathtouch, and it dredges (which is insane in Meren).

But I'm having a hard time deciding what to cut so if you all wouldn't mind I'd like some input on choices and why you'd pick a particular card to go.

Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures (37)
1 x Viscera Seer
1 x Spore Frog
1 x Caustic Caterpillar
1 x Den Protector
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Scavenging Ooze
1 x Wall of Blossoms
1 x Blood Artist
1 x Golgari Thug
1 x Vampire Hexmage
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Fertilid
1 x Big Game Hunter
1 x Skullwinder
1 x Burnished Hart
1 x Yavimaya Granger
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x Sidisi, Undead Vizier
1 x Duplicant
1 x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
1 x Baloth Null
1 x Ulvenwald Hydra
1 x The Gitrog Monster
1 x Avenger of Zendikar
1 x Deathbringer Regent
1 x Hornet Queen
1 x Butcher of Malakir
1 x Rune-Scarred Demon

Enchantment (8)
1 x Evolutionary Leap
1 x Attrition
1 x From Beyond
1 x Grave Pact
1 x Dictate of Erebos
1 x Perilous Forays
1 x Deadbridge Chant
1 x Grave Betrayal

Artifact (4)
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Vedalken Orrery
1 x Anvil of Bogardan
1 x Birthing Pod

Sorceries (7)
1 x Life from the Loam
1 x Genesis Wave
1 x Gaze of Granite
1 x Deadly Tempest
1 x Verdant Confluence
1 x Tooth and Nail (Placeheld by Dread Return)
1 x Rise of the Dark Realms

Instants (3)
1 x Putrefy
1 x Wretched Confluence

Planeswalkers (3)
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 x Garruk Relentless

Lands (37)
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Ghost Quarter
1 x High Market
1 x Grim Backwoods
1 x Blighted Woodland
1 x Yavimaya Hollow
1 x Phyrexian Tower
1 x Bojuka Bog
1 x Command Tower
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Jungle Hollow
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Llanowar Wastes
1 x Temple of Malady
1 x Petrified Field
11 x Forest
9 x Swamp

Thanks much! ^_^

Edit: Hilarious play of the night: Evolutionary Leap a Golgari Thug with an otherwise empty graveyard...results in Golgari Thug putting itself on top of my library before Evo Leap resolves, thus leaping G. Thug into himself. It was a hilarious durdle, but it did still serve to get an experience counter for Meren.
Hilarious play of the night #2: Evolutionary Leap a Solemn Simulacrum, Evo Leap and Solemn Draw trigger on the stack, sac Golgari Thug to Phyrexian Tower, put Solemn back on top of my library. Draw Solemn, leap into something (I forget what) tap 2 more lands cast solemn. XD Did I mention this deck likes to durdle?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 am 

Yet more changes have been made (many thanks to my judge friend for his hours of assistance) and the deck is now definitely quite scary, capable of both controlling the board and finishing the game.
That said, the last time I updated the deck was in SOI and we've had 2 new sets come out and I'm sitting here drooling over new shinies and wondering if I should make room for them.
Additonally there are some other older cards I'm revisiting for consideration.

I haven't played enough games with the deck in it's current condition to tell if there are some cards that need replacing, I'm just spitballing here.
But first, how it looks now.

Deck as it currently stands:

Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures (41)
1 x Viscera Seer
1 x Spore Frog
1 x Diligent Farmhand
1 x Caustic Caterpillar
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Scavenging Ooze
1 x Golgari Thug
1 x Vampire Hexmage
1 x Multani's Acolyte
1 x Hermit Druid
1 x Catacomb Sifter
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Fertilid
1 x Stinkweed Imp
1 x Skullwinder
1 x Yavimaya Granger
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Loaming Shaman
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
1 x Temur Sabertooth
1 x Golgari Grave-Troll
1 x Shriekmaw
1 x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 x Sadistic Hypnotist
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x The Gitrog Monster
1 x Sidisi, Undead Vizier
1 x Duplicant
1 x Baloth Null
1 x Ulvenwald Hydra
1 x Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
1 x Avenger of Zendikar
1 x Deathbringer Regent
1 x Hornet Queen
1 x Rune-Scarred Demon
1 x Sheoldred, Whispering One

Enchantment (5)
1 x Evolutionary Leap
1 x From Beyond
1 x Greater Good
1 x Perilous Forays
1 x Deadbridge Chant

Artifact (4)
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Altar of Dementia
1 x Vedalken Orrery
1 x Birthing Pod

Sorceries (8)
1 x Life from the Loam
1 x Buried Alive
1 x Genesis Wave
1 x Gaze of Granite
1 x Living Death
1 x Twilight's Call
1 x Tooth and Nail
1 x Rise of the Dark Realms

Instants (1)

Planeswalkers (2)
1 x Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Lands (38)
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Ghost Quarter
1 x High Market
1 x Grim Backwoods
1 x Blighted Woodland
1 x Yavimaya Hollow
1 x Phyrexian Tower
1 x Bojuka Bog
1 x Command Tower
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Hissing Quagmire
1 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Llanowar Wastes
1 x Temple of Malady
1 x Dakmor Salvage
1 x Miren, the Moaning Well
1 x Dark Depths
1 x Volrath's Stronghold
1 x Westvale Abbey
10 x Forest
7 x Swamp

New Cards I'm drooling over:
Aetherworks Marvel
Demon of Dark Schemes
Eldritch Evolution
Emrakul, the Promised End
Ishkanah, Grafwidow
Panharmonicon
Splendid Reclamation
Tree of Perdition

Old Cards I'm reconsidering for a slot:
Terastodon
Triskelion
Woodfall Primus

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 am 

I for one wouldn't cut Trisk, seeing as it's your instant-win-button with Mikaeus, accessible via Tooth and Nail

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:14 pm 

I don't want to cut Trisk, I want to add it. For exactly the reason you mention.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:38 am 

Hm... for cutting FOR it are you getting enough Gitrog triggers to justify the frog? The Girtog/Loam package is something I might move out of Meren since while they're both helped by a little self-mill, they otherwise want to do very different things.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 am 

Life from the Loam isn't going anywhere. Meren wants to play dredge, it basically draws cards for her EOT trigger. It has been an allstar card draw smoother and land fixer (its normal function) in addition to that.
The Gitrog Monster went into the deck because of dredge. It's additional card draw that synergizes with the dredge engine.
I've only found the frog once so far and then it didn't survive a turn sequence so I don't know how effective it is to the game plan. I won't cut it until I get the chance to try it a few times, but it's certainly an option if it doesn't end up playing out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:37 am 

How does your mana feel? You might just be able to cut a basic and be done with it, you'll still be in the 35-40 band that's comfortable for most EDH. Maybe Kokusho? The dragon can do good work but it's a 5-life-per-player swing (repeatable with Meren of course) as opposed to a "wins instantly" avenue

Like this post