It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me

For those of you that don't know, this super league is based off of the Vintage Super League, found here:http://vintagesuperleague.com/format-details/.

It will be slightly different, as we don't have a known metagame, or a number of known players. The first iteration here is largely a test run. The goals of the Super League is primarily to get a feel for the format and start establishing a paper trail. As we build up games that are documented, we can see problem cards, and get a real development process going. Eventually we can expand and build up interest once the format settles down and the daunting 3000+ card choices no longer act as a barrier to entry.

Without further pause, I'll talk about the structure of this specific super league.

This super league will be 8 players, with a cut to top 4, and with the top 2 at the end of the league guaranteed slots in the next season. The last six will have to sign up like everyone else.
There is no ban or restricted list. Any card in the format(remember, Sagathia and Starstill are not legal yet), will be legal, with 60 card minimum deck construction and 15 card maximum sideboards.
Each player will play each other player once, with an assigned player each week, until 7 weeks are up. Then, we do a playoff of top 4.
At the start of the league you must submit a decklist. After every 3 weeks, you can change decklists, which you then must resubmit. Decklists will be confidential until the start, where they will be made public.
Each match is supposed to last 50 minutes. We can only use the honor system here, but draws are a part of the game.
Games should be played in cockatrice. It doesn't have rules enforcement, but it allows others to view your matches, and act as both a judge and audience. It also tracks the time in the match, and can handle all the mechanics(even Solid Gold).
As the host, I will also be participating in this first version, but I will submit my decklist before opening any other files(you can confirm this by checking your outbox).
When you finish your match for the week, please report the result asap. Both players should report their score for verification purposes. Records and position will be posted each week, but pairings will be known from the start of the league.
Playoff format will be normal, best 2 out of 3 single match events. Your deck in the last round of the league will be your playoff deck. Ties will be broken by agonizing tiebreaker math determined by yours truly. The playoffs will pit #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3.
I'll leave sign-ups open until we get 8 players, and then we can start.

Also, I'm not sure what 1st place should get. I was going to give them a free match win for the next season, but that might be too heavy. Then I decided on giving them a single point, rather than 3, but I'd prefer something else. If anyone has any suggestions on things let me know.
First place gets to make an invitational card!
1. Popular Pariah
2. Dr_Demento
3. razorborne
4. Shazzeh
5. Fallingman
6. masterofdoom/Burning_Earth
7. Mown
8. Cato Rush_clasic

EDIT: Please send decklist submissions to me with the subject "NGASL Decklist Submission" so I know not to open it.
EDIT: We now have prizing! First place will get an invitation card!

Decklists -- Round 1-3
Spoiler

Decklists -- Round 4-6
Spoiler

Decklists Round 7/Playoffs
Spoiler

Bracket here: https://mtgarena.appspot.com/#t4534046214324224
Spoiler

Final Records:
PopularPariah -- (7-2)
Mown -- (8-2)
Shazzeh -- (5-3)
Razorborne -- (5-3)
Dr_Demento -- (4-3)
Rush_Clasic -- (2-5)
Masterofdoom -- (1-6)

Attachments:
NGACSuperLeague.png
NGACSuperLeague.png [ 94.09 KiB | Viewed 6020 times ]

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Last edited by Popular Pariah on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
I'll sign up.

1st place should get a sweet custom title, and bragging rights.

Also, if we are changing decklists every 3 weeks in an 8 person league, does that mean our 3rd deck choice lasts into bracket play?

Will submitting replays be mandatory?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:21 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
For those of you that don't know, this super league is based off of the Vintage Super League, found here.
generally statements like this include a link.

Also, I'm not sure what 1st place should get. I was going to give them a free match win for the next season, but that might be too heavy. Then I decided on giving them a single point, rather than 3, but I'd prefer something else. If anyone has any suggestions on things let me know.
tasteful nudes.

anyway do we have to make the deck ourselves or can we use other people's because I do not have the time or inclination to dig through everything but on the other hand playing would be fun.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:23 am 

Your third deck choice lasts into bracket play, yes. It should be the last deck you play if you make the finals.

Submitting replays is not mandatory, though encouraged.

Also yeah, completely forgot the link.

And you don't have to build one, you can use someone else's.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:26 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they

cool, in. Shaz, gimme a deck so I can win.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Vintage Super League Season 2. We are now in season two, streamed live every Tuesday evening.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:29 am 

razorborne wrote:

Shazz or DD have a bunch of lists. My lists are all artsy jank.

You could play the deck I posted in my primer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

My lists are culled from already posted lists online, except my artifact builds and my reconstructed version of Shaz's mono-red deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:37 am 

People posted lists online?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:37 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Dig through the Rules and Plugin thread.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 am 

Or I can just play shops and ignore what my opponent is doing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Good luck beating suicide red.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 am 

Yeah, it's a bad matchup. That's the matchup I goldfished against when I first built shops. Made me want to play UR control.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:07 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
razorborne wrote:

You should use mine.
Just tweak the manabase and find some sideboard tech against hate.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 am 

Identity: Male
I'll play in this.

I haven't posted decklists in a while, just alluded to them, so I'll write some primers over the next few days for anyone who doesn't feel like searching through so many cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:41 am 

Shazzeh wrote:
I'll play in this.

I haven't posted decklists in a while, just alluded to them, so I'll write some primers over the next few days for anyone who doesn't feel like searching through so many cards.

I'll do a UR control primer if you want to do monored.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:06 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

I'm not good at deckbuilding, but I want to give this a shot. I've always liked reanimating things; is there a viable graveyard/dredge archetype to be had in this format?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:13 pm 

I'm gonna put these in this thread because I think they're relevant, and because I suspect they'll be somewhat outdated after this league gets going. I don't know which decks are good because the meta is fluid at this point. Also keep in mind that I am not an extremely skilled deckbuilder or player, so even though I have experience with the format my advice might not be the best to take.

There are a couple good-seeming decks I've played against that I don't have lists for. Pariah and Dr_D are the people to ask about these. Firstly, MUD: it's an explosive and disruptive deck that gets to make good plays like turn one Thorn of Amethyst or turn two Hypercube and gets to abuse Urban Trade Routes in the long game. The colorless sideboard is bad, but the main deck is rather powerful. Secondly, monored combo: it's incredibly fast and has enough redundancy that it's hard to predict or stop. Dr_D's version has Toy Factory + Fragment of the Ineffable, Toy Factory + Hoarding Cavern + Furnace Tender, and ramp + Nightstalker Invasion all in the same deck. Not all of the win conditions require resolving spells, and not all are telegraphed, so you kind of have to be able to answer everything at once.

The deck I have most experience with is UR Susu so I'm gonna write about that first. I don't think it's the best deck in the format but it's the best control deck I've seen.

4 x Ponder
4 x Susurrus of Voor
4 x Fresh Ideas
4 x Select
2 x Rapid Planning

4 x Royal Alkahest
3 x Denying Precedent
3 x Fragments of the Past
2 x Banish from Mind
1 x Gray Matter Manipulation
1 x Equal Reaction
3 x Doombolt
1 x Scorching Barrage
1 x Nightstalker Invasion

1 x Denner Fabellian

4 x Den of Iniquity
4 x Boltland
11 x Island
1 x Central Pinnacle
2 x Ruined Laboratory

Sideboard
2 x Beyond Suspicion
2 x Industrial Waste
1 x Nightstalker Invasion
1 x Doombolt
2 x Fractured Dreams
4 x Glister Fluke
2 x Lava Crash
1 x Banish from Mind

The deck is named after Susurrus of Voor but that's not really the most important part of the deck. Most answers in the format are too slow or too narrow, so our plan in game one is to put all our eggs in the Royal Alkahest basket. Use cantrips to find them and to set up hands that can catalyze, then answer threats one-for-one with that or Doombolt or whatever. Card advantage comes from casting Fragments of the Past on Royal Alkahest, or in long games from finding Susurrus of Voor a bunch of times. Once you've run your opponent out of gas, you usually win with the Nightstalker Invasion, but Scorching Barrage or random Doombolts can also pull wins off, especially if your opponent is being greedy with Bleeding Statue or Neighborhoods.

Doombolt in response to your own Doombolt deals the full 8 damage, and casting Fresh Ideas in response to Doombolt lets you deal 4 while getting a new hand. Fresh Ideas in response to your own Fragments of the Past gives you a new hand but with an extra copy of Royal Alkahest or whatever. If you're main phasing a Fresh Ideas, do it before you play a land, because you're probably going to draw one anyway and you get to dig further. Cast your sorceries before your instants, because they don't help you catalyze. I like casting Susurrus of Voor as soon as possible because then you have a higher chance of drawing another copy, but Ponder is of course better at finding an instant if you really need one.

Beyond Suspicion is good against Scorching Barrage, but might not be necessary if nobody is playing that deck. Industrial Waste shuts down Urban Trade Route (which is very scary) and Toy Factory. I had four of them but they're terrible to draw a ton of copies of because you can't catalyze with them and they're expensive to get out of your hand. Nightstalker Invasion number two comes in against decks that won't interact with you so you can win a little faster. Doombolt and Lava Crash hurt aggro. Fractured Dreams is incredible against MUD. It gets around Hypercube and Thorn of Amethyst, gives you card advantage, and gives you a great Fragments of the Past target if they have The Golden Tree making your Alkahests bad. I haven't tried Glister Fluke yet but it gives you free wins against creature-light decks so it seems good to board in once they've taken out their answers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am 

Bump. More people need to join!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 am 

Officially lending my support for this. The winner of each league will get an Invitational card to add to the format.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next