It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 3109
I mean, not associating your real life name with what you think (until you are really sure that you are fine with people like potential employers and buyers reading that) is something you should learn to do pretty early on the internet, just losing the access to part of the game for a year is a pretty tame way to learn it.

The corollary is that having a way to ensure that you can't access facebook while drunk is pretty nice... maybe there's a good idea for an app here.

_________________
Useful link:
Spoiler


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 07, 2015
Posts: 312
EDIT: Post removed. I misjudged this community and am leaving it.


Last edited by adeyke on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 801
Location: Indy
Your not implying some implications are you?

_________________
Yuri is best girl!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 2672
I still haven't viewed the offending remarks, but regardless, I do have this to say:

Wizards has every right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason.

If they feel that they don't want someone using event systems provided by them, supported by them, used for a game they sell, well then they can. The reason doesn't even matter, they are absolutely allowed to do this. They will hopefully make this decision because they believe it will be in their best interests. As a consumer, you have the right to not buy their products or not attend their events. You could, theoretically, create your own tournament circuit that allows for these people to attend. However, you would be right to assume that such a tournament circuit will have a size and scope far smaller than those provided by the DCI, so that may disincline you towards providing one. If Wizards made such moves too lightly or for too asinine reasons, then enough people would leave their tournament circuit and/or game that they would consider undoing these events. Again, this is something that I think is unlikely, because it doesn't look like they made this decision lightly.

Now, it seems like a lot of folks are asking if they should be doing bans like this. I, for one, applaud Wizards for having the courage to make this move. They likely knew that there would be some backlash and people exactly like us talking about whether they should or shouldn't do this kind of thing. There's not a lot of ways to deal with bullies, because they operate generally within the law and/or within a group that considers such bullying to be normal, or just abnormal enough to not get involved. While this action may seem extreme, there aren't very many other responses that Wizards can take that won't be laughably underwhelming. Even now, I'm sure these guys are coming up with ways to get around this (probably with some fake accounts). However, this sends a real message that Wizards does not consider these actions to be acceptable, and it should discourage their players from being bullies. This should be a wake-up call to bullies and people that allow or encourage these behaviours that you aren't free to act like terrible children. If you want to have fun, you need to play nice.

And go figure, it's nice to be nice.

Spoiler

_________________
Quote:
"If you refuse to use rock, you will never beat scissors." — Galef, Dakka Dakka Forums


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 19, 2017
Posts: 72
wotc should just ban everyone


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: May 09, 2014
Posts: 2298
adeyke wrote:
EDIT: Post removed. I misjudged this community and am leaving it.


I've appreciated your presence on this community and I'm sad to see you go. I hope you don't think that one or a few loud voices necessarily represent a larger group but if you don't think this is the kind of place you want to be in then I won't blame you for leaving. I hope you find yourself satisfied with wherever you end up spending time next.

_________________
I used to view myself as a crow. A large, negative, angry bird who is portrayed as the sign of a bad omen. Feared by others and wanting to dominate, I was my own flock.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 28, 2016
Posts: 2160
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Warning: I'm being serious.
adeyke wrote:
EDIT: Post removed. I misjudged this community and am leaving it.

Open communities like forums don't have any way to prevent questionable people from entering, so, IMHO, they shouldn't be blamed for them. If someone deems unacceptable to be in a community with a person they consider awful, only real option for them is not to enter any open or arbitrarily formed communities of significant size, like forums, social networks, companies, neighbourhoods, families, etc... I think my point is clear.
Spoiler

_________________
nice quotes from this forum


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 801
Location: Indy
Butthead wrote:
wotc should just ban everyone


A solution that works for everyone!

_________________
Yuri is best girl!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 12845
Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
You people are so silly

_________________
altimis wrote:
I never take anytihng Lily says seriously, except for when I take it personally. Then it's personal.
WotC_Ethan wrote:
People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Image


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 27, 2015
Posts: 1560
I don't see why they couldn't just leave their politics at the door and sit down to a friendly game of MtG with their fellow MtG fans. And, I don't see why the HQ guy couldn't be happy that folks like Sprankle and the Professor from TCC are able to earn a living doing what they love.

_________________
The Man in Black fled across Manhattan, and the Gunslinger jumped off rooftops.


Last edited by Heartless Hidetsugu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Dec 12, 2014
Posts: 50
Identity: Male
Hi all...

I think the probable underlying reason of WOTC trying verrry hard to cater to one side of a larger partisan concept has more relevance than any "enforcement" on the issue they can provide. I don't know why they make the choices they do. All I care about is that they stand on the shoulders of giants, and their product is comparatively lackluster to the erstwhile offering. I know they hate all your pet peeves, too, but they really don't have any value, similar to the ideas they peddle instead of a (good) product.

_________________
...and after I drew all my lands, I sacrificed them to Zorb and cast Balance.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator Lead
User avatar

Joined: Jun 05, 2015
Posts: 939
Identity: Male
Hey folks,

This has gotten out of hand. While the topic is certainly appropriate for the forum, this particular discussion has gotten far too heated. I'm going to be closing it for now so it doesn't spiral further. I intend to go through and remove the problematic posts, and I'll open it back up once that's done.

Thanks,
Lazarus

_________________
I ask for so little. Just let me rule you, and you can have everything that you want. Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
Moderator Lead
User avatar

Joined: Jun 05, 2015
Posts: 939
Identity: Male
Ok, that should be better. I had to remove a some non-offending posts for continuity reasons because they were responses to posts that got deleted. I'm re-opening this now, so everyone please remain civil.

Thanks,
Lazarus

_________________
I ask for so little. Just let me rule you, and you can have everything that you want. Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 801
Location: Indy
Wow that was quiet a bit of the thread...

_________________
Yuri is best girl!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 3572
Identity: Goblin Piker
The topic is about trying to defend a person who would have been banned on these forums if he had acted in the manner he had.

The topic is about trying to defend the total lack of civility.

There isn't a topic to have beyond that.

You might as well just keep the thread locked.

_________________
Twitter: (at)MrEnglish22 if you want to reach me
My cube: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/mrenglish22


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 9777
I disagree. I feel that there's a legit topic in theory of WotC Policy. But I might be alone there.

_________________
"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 3572
Identity: Goblin Piker
People worried about "WotC policy" are really inflating this beyond any reasonable degree.

The only time WotC has taken a DCI action outside of actual tournament issues has been when the PR has reached a national level.

This has happened in what situations? The Zach Jones, convicted sex offender, and this MTGHQ situation? Zach Jones got a somewhat unfair treatment for a crime he committed years ago, but the guy originally also got off incredibly easy considering the situation. Obviously that shouldn't pertain to the present but WotC has to keep in mind their game is in part marketed to people below the age of consent, and there are obvious legal issues involved.
And I made pretty clear earlier how I feel about this situation, and what I think of anyone who thinks that WotC made an incorrect decision about either MTGHQ or TWoo. The two troll idiots got what they deserved.

They aren't going to go around policing every single twitter account, facebook group, or forum. They don't have the manpower to do that. Even if they DID have that manpower, they aren't going to go Orwellian 1984 on their fan base because that is just ridiculous. They are going to take the prolific individuals and make examples of them to show what their views are.

Is that unfair to the ones made examples of? Maybe in part, because "oh no uneven punishment." Well, sometimes things in life aren't even. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have people like Jeremy or Travis, or their army of trolls that are now going around and giving fake 1 star reviews to local stores because they "support WotC's anti-white SJW agenda" or call women online... demeaning... terms that are unacceptable.

_________________
Twitter: (at)MrEnglish22 if you want to reach me
My cube: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/mrenglish22


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 801
Location: Indy
Zach Jesse....

While we are on the topic about policing and the future, rumor is if Arena is the Heartstone Killer they want it to be, that they've considered phasing out cardboard all together, then they really could police much.

_________________
Yuri is best girl!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 6945
Being in the play-test for Arena right now, I can tell you it is so far away from being a killer of anything. The old Shandalar Mircroprose game had better functionality and animation fluidity than Arena currently does.

_________________
magicpablo666 wrote:
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 801
Location: Indy
I was in the Open Beta for LoL, and I'll tell you what, that shouldn't be used as a guide for the games future.

Now someone said something to me that was very insightful.

He said, in 2010, WotC screwed over the Majority of players for a vocal minority. In 2017 WotC screwed over the majority of players, due to a vocal minority.

In 2010, Phyrexian Negator, a dollar card that was on the reserve list, was reprinted as a foil in Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs The Coalition. In it, you played arguable the most famous battle in the history of MtG, and it was chock full of awesome cards from the block (though I don't get why Urza's Rage was the foil of all things).

Collectors and sharks cried, some high end collectors even threatened to sue, and WotC changed its 'premium loophole' on reserve list cards.

In 2017, what started as a person crying victim, turned into a flamewar, in which WotC listened to a vocal minority, and created arguably it's largest policy change in the history of the game.

Both of these things had similar outcomes from the fan base.

_________________
Yuri is best girl!


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group