It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recent DCI Purge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am 

I mean, not associating your real life name with what you think (until you are really sure that you are fine with people like potential employers and buyers reading that) is something you should learn to do pretty early on the internet, just losing the access to part of the game for a year is a pretty tame way to learn it.

The corollary is that having a way to ensure that you can't access facebook while drunk is pretty nice... maybe there's a good idea for an app here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 am 

EDIT: Post removed. I misjudged this community and am leaving it.

Last edited by adeyke on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am 

Your not implying some implications are you?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am 

I still haven't viewed the offending remarks, but regardless, I do have this to say:

Wizards has every right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason.

If they feel that they don't want someone using event systems provided by them, supported by them, used for a game they sell, well then they can. The reason doesn't even matter, they are absolutely allowed to do this. They will hopefully make this decision because they believe it will be in their best interests. As a consumer, you have the right to not buy their products or not attend their events. You could, theoretically, create your own tournament circuit that allows for these people to attend. However, you would be right to assume that such a tournament circuit will have a size and scope far smaller than those provided by the DCI, so that may disincline you towards providing one. If Wizards made such moves too lightly or for too asinine reasons, then enough people would leave their tournament circuit and/or game that they would consider undoing these events. Again, this is something that I think is unlikely, because it doesn't look like they made this decision lightly.

Now, it seems like a lot of folks are asking if they should be doing bans like this. I, for one, applaud Wizards for having the courage to make this move. They likely knew that there would be some backlash and people exactly like us talking about whether they should or shouldn't do this kind of thing. There's not a lot of ways to deal with bullies, because they operate generally within the law and/or within a group that considers such bullying to be normal, or just abnormal enough to not get involved. While this action may seem extreme, there aren't very many other responses that Wizards can take that won't be laughably underwhelming. Even now, I'm sure these guys are coming up with ways to get around this (probably with some fake accounts). However, this sends a real message that Wizards does not consider these actions to be acceptable, and it should discourage their players from being bullies. This should be a wake-up call to bullies and people that allow or encourage these behaviours that you aren't free to act like terrible children. If you want to have fun, you need to play nice.

And go figure, it's nice to be nice.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm 

wotc should just ban everyone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:26 pm 

adeyke wrote:

I've appreciated your presence on this community and I'm sad to see you go. I hope you don't think that one or a few loud voices necessarily represent a larger group but if you don't think this is the kind of place you want to be in then I won't blame you for leaving. I hope you find yourself satisfied with wherever you end up spending time next.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Warning: I'm being serious.
adeyke wrote:

Open communities like forums don't have any way to prevent questionable people from entering, so, IMHO, they shouldn't be blamed for them. If someone deems unacceptable to be in a community with a person they consider awful, only real option for them is not to enter any open or arbitrarily formed communities of significant size, like forums, social networks, companies, neighbourhoods, families, etc... I think my point is clear.
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

Butthead wrote:
wotc should just ban everyone

A solution that works for everyone!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
You people are so silly

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 am 

I don't see why they couldn't just leave their politics at the door and sit down to a friendly game of MtG with their fellow MtG fans. And, I don't see why the HQ guy couldn't be happy that folks like Sprankle and the Professor from TCC are able to earn a living doing what they love.

Last edited by Heartless Hidetsugu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am 

Identity: Male
Hi all...

I think the probable underlying reason of WOTC trying verrry hard to cater to one side of a larger partisan concept has more relevance than any "enforcement" on the issue they can provide. I don't know why they make the choices they do. All I care about is that they stand on the shoulders of giants, and their product is comparatively lackluster to the erstwhile offering. I know they hate all your pet peeves, too, but they really don't have any value, similar to the ideas they peddle instead of a (good) product.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
Moderator Lead

Hey folks,

This has gotten out of hand. While the topic is certainly appropriate for the forum, this particular discussion has gotten far too heated. I'm going to be closing it for now so it doesn't spiral further. I intend to go through and remove the problematic posts, and I'll open it back up once that's done.

Thanks,
Lazarus

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm 
Moderator Lead

Ok, that should be better. I had to remove a some non-offending posts for continuity reasons because they were responses to posts that got deleted. I'm re-opening this now, so everyone please remain civil.

Thanks,
Lazarus

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

Wow that was quiet a bit of the thread...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
The topic is about trying to defend a person who would have been banned on these forums if he had acted in the manner he had.

The topic is about trying to defend the total lack of civility.

There isn't a topic to have beyond that.

You might as well just keep the thread locked.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am 

I disagree. I feel that there's a legit topic in theory of WotC Policy. But I might be alone there.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
People worried about "WotC policy" are really inflating this beyond any reasonable degree.

The only time WotC has taken a DCI action outside of actual tournament issues has been when the PR has reached a national level.

This has happened in what situations? The Zach Jones, convicted sex offender, and this MTGHQ situation? Zach Jones got a somewhat unfair treatment for a crime he committed years ago, but the guy originally also got off incredibly easy considering the situation. Obviously that shouldn't pertain to the present but WotC has to keep in mind their game is in part marketed to people below the age of consent, and there are obvious legal issues involved.
And I made pretty clear earlier how I feel about this situation, and what I think of anyone who thinks that WotC made an incorrect decision about either MTGHQ or TWoo. The two troll idiots got what they deserved.

They aren't going to go around policing every single twitter account, facebook group, or forum. They don't have the manpower to do that. Even if they DID have that manpower, they aren't going to go Orwellian 1984 on their fan base because that is just ridiculous. They are going to take the prolific individuals and make examples of them to show what their views are.

Is that unfair to the ones made examples of? Maybe in part, because "oh no uneven punishment." Well, sometimes things in life aren't even. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have people like Jeremy or Travis, or their army of trolls that are now going around and giving fake 1 star reviews to local stores because they "support WotC's anti-white SJW agenda" or call women online... demeaning... terms that are unacceptable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 am 

Zach Jesse....

While we are on the topic about policing and the future, rumor is if Arena is the Heartstone Killer they want it to be, that they've considered phasing out cardboard all together, then they really could police much.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 am 

Being in the play-test for Arena right now, I can tell you it is so far away from being a killer of anything. The old Shandalar Mircroprose game had better functionality and animation fluidity than Arena currently does.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 pm 

I was in the Open Beta for LoL, and I'll tell you what, that shouldn't be used as a guide for the games future.

Now someone said something to me that was very insightful.

He said, in 2010, WotC screwed over the Majority of players for a vocal minority. In 2017 WotC screwed over the majority of players, due to a vocal minority.

In 2010, Phyrexian Negator, a dollar card that was on the reserve list, was reprinted as a foil in Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs The Coalition. In it, you played arguable the most famous battle in the history of MtG, and it was chock full of awesome cards from the block (though I don't get why Urza's Rage was the foil of all things).

Collectors and sharks cried, some high end collectors even threatened to sue, and WotC changed its 'premium loophole' on reserve list cards.

In 2017, what started as a person crying victim, turned into a flamewar, in which WotC listened to a vocal minority, and created arguably it's largest policy change in the history of the game.

Both of these things had similar outcomes from the fan base.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next