It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:03 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Do you exclusively watch **** light novel harem adaptations? I realize you have been on an ecchi garbage binge lately, but there's like an entire, massive genre almost devoid of male characters. Sansha Sanyo, K-on, Love Live, Idol Masters, Hidamari Sketch, probably tons to name if it appealed to me. I don't think shows that focus on romance or drama typically do a bad job either: Toradora, Golden Time, Kokoro Connect, probably Ano Hana. Shows that don't focus on it like Hyouka, Jinrui or Tatami Galaxy. There's even some harem anime to choose from, notably the Monogatari series, despite all its fanservice.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:53 am 

Right now I'm pushing through "garbage", I've explained that several times...but typically I focus on anime with some sort of fighting or fantasy theme. I've never cared to try romance, slice-of-life, artsy, or sports anime because I don't watch that stuff in non-Anime form. Most of the reason I'm watching all this stuff is to expand a bit and see what I do and do not like and specifically why I do or do not like it.

Also, I just have never really been in a world where anime was a thing...I was exposed to it like any other American (Cartoon Network) and, not being someone who used the net extensively my only other exposure came from the only small shop in my area where I just grabbed random anime because I was painfully shy in real life. Thus, haven't really explored much outside the massive hits and most well known things in the USA.

I have Ping Pong the Animation, K-on, The Tatami Galaxy, and Food Wars on the list, all of which are shows I would typically not give a chance (Ping Pong because watching sports is boring, Galaxy because the animation style looks like its trying too hard, K-on because school age music band...really?, and Food Wars because seriously, these shows suck in real life so why would it make an interesting vehicle for whatever comedy or drama they're trying to express), but they have really good reviews so they are more likely to be shows my wife enjoys as well (except for Tatami...cause man do you have to read fast, I watched half an episode and put it off until later because I didn't feel like focusing that hard). Hell, I've avoided Evangelion for decades because my default mode is "Giant Robot Anime is lame". So this is all an experiment to dig past those blanket judgments...or at least explain why they exist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:21 pm 

Cowboy Bebop is the closest I'll get to slice of life.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:17 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I know that's what you're doing right now, but you can't have seen exclusively those types of shows. Did you enter anime thinking you should start with shows that target teenage boys? If you search for introductory titles or highly rated shows, you might get the big three in terms of shonen, but typically not very many harem/ecchi shows.
If only I had watched shows you mentioned earlier in the thread, I could have made a comparison with railgun. Because sure, it's kind of weird that all of the girls in log horizon expresses love towards someone, but I'd imagine The Perfect Insider would have done a good job in terms of characters, despite not having watched more than episode 1.

also, slice of life and love polygons are the best genres after harem romcoms. You're missing out.
Sports as experienced in real life is often a quite different compared to anime. It would be hard for me to imagine live-action providing the same build-up and execution of certain scenes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:52 pm 

I'm developing an appreciation for slice of life...but I still prefer it to have some fantasy-esque vehicle attached to it. Durarara is pretty much slice of life, but it exists in a world definitively unique from our own. I guess I just always assumed slice of life anime would be like daytime soap operas in the States...and assumed love polygons would mirror any other romcom on the planet.

As for entering the world of Anime...no, I entered watching DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Full Metal Alchemist, and Trigun...shows with a bunch of action and fighting and thought that was all anime was. Then I mostly just searched for other DBZ/YuYu Hakusho type shows and found Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc. This most recent kick went off because I got a crunchyroll account on a whim since I didn't have TV and it was temporarily free. Then I just started watching some random shows I thought would be interesting (SAO, JoJo, Attack on Titan), which led me to google searches for new shows, then I was just surprised at how much anime was on the shared drive in AFG and went a bit nuts.

As for how I ended up with so many ecchi...basically, I'm a sad dirty old man :P. I got a few from the shared drive, then found the rest while googling what those shows were about. I specifically downloaded Prison School because I saw a picture of the main disciplinarian character and was led to Seikon no Qwaser the same way. I didn't really end up with too much ecchi this way, most of the shows were already lingering on the shared drive. As for the Harem anime...all of those were either in a top ten list on youtube or on the shared drive. I guess people just like that genre...I am getting annoyed with the whole "middle school love" thing though and can't wait to get to more serious stuff.

Also, maybe sadly, I'm really hoping that one day I find an Ecchi anime which is actually enjoyable despite the obvious flags. Similar to how Game of Thrones uses nudity or sex I guess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:15 pm 

There is nothing about Durarara that makes me believe it to be a different world from our own, though I generally assume every earth-like setting that would appear no different to the average person to be set in our world.

9:02 AM - Mown: Honestly though most anime characters don't look that anime.
4:06 AM: Grue: you can't put all ur problems on enchantments

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:23 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

POSValkir wrote:
Also, maybe sadly, I'm really hoping that one day I find an Ecchi anime which is actually enjoyable despite the obvious flags. Similar to how Game of Thrones uses nudity or sex I guess.

Bakemonogatari.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Instead of looking for a good show with ecchi content, why don't you just watch a good show and then google "ecchi content"?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm 

Anyone know what these are from? The first one I'm just curious about for the absurdity of a boob jiggling solid breast plate. The second I'm curious about because I don't understand the context and I want to know what the heck is going on.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:22 pm 

Second is Episode 8 of Handa-kun.

Edit: First is from The Ambition of Oda Nobuna

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:39 pm 

By chance do you know the context of the second gif?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:51 pm 

"Instead of bringing in Handa's followers, isn't it easier to chase Handa out?"

The other school's equivalent of the Handa Force is discussing how to deal with Handa.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:47 pm 

As a quick aside: anyone else catch episode one and episode two of Pokemon Generations?

I want more tactical S.W.A.T. applications of pokemon now.....

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:25 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
AzureShade wrote:
As a quick aside: anyone else catch episode one and episode two of Pokemon Generations?

I want more tactical S.W.A.T. applications of pokemon now.....
I was unimpressed! I was like super unimpressed, especially with the second ep. Is something wrong with me? I thought it was going to be good like Pokemon Origins

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:59 pm 

I was unimpressed! I was like super unimpressed, especially with the second ep. Is something wrong with me? I thought it was going to be good like Pokemon Origins
Something is very wrong with you. You should seek medical help immediately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I was unimpressed too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:59 pm 

They don't seem to be particular well animated, not terrible to look at or anything, just nothing exceptional. The voice acting felt phoned in at the best of times. The first episode sort of introduce this idea that we are going to be looking back through different moments in Pokemon history, so it gets away with having nothing going on. However, episode 2 essentially rolls out a practically bare bones "let's show Team Rocket getting raided!" in which nothing actually happens minus what appear to be a couple hat nods at the audience. I am not so well versed in Pokemon lore to know exactly what they were nodding to, but it felt like hat nods.

The best moment of the two shorts was a magmetite shorting out an electronic lock. This was exceptionally unimpressive.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 am 
PBP Moderator

Guilty pleasure for these last months has been Dragonball Super. Ever since the arc with Future Trunks started I've been following it weekly again.
This week was probably my favorite moment so far. After being a joke almost the entire series, Beerus reminds everyone that he still a god of destruction and should not be messed with.
I also loved the music at that point.

Spoiler

Will you play with me? It only costs one coin.
Because when we're done, you won't continue!

--Flandre Scarlet, Touhou Project 6.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:22 pm 
PBP Moderator

I totally forgot about the new anime season. And found that one of the last seasonal anime I watches started a new season too.

Show by Rock! season 2 started with the rock-apocalypse of the sound world. That was quite a way to start off the first few minutes of the season. I'm hooked again.

Will you play with me? It only costs one coin.
Because when we're done, you won't continue!

--Flandre Scarlet, Touhou Project 6.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:40 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Only good anime is dbz abridged.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 69  Next