It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack Reviews Anime
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 pm 

There we go. Seems to be a consensus. I might have to try to defend something despite its fan service sometime this weekend then.

I have not posted a review yet because I am having trouble picking. So it will happen. But I don't know exactly when.

Edit:

Oh. And I normally do research before getting involved in watching an anime.

As far as I can tell, High School of the Dead has a lot of fan service, but it's also a good action anime. The real problem people seem to have with the show is that the characters are downright stupid. Or extremely incompetent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:39 pm 

Review of Immortal Grand Prix (IGPX)

The immortal grand prix is, in a nutshell, a racing league. THE racing league. The characters in the anime are competing at the highest level, the IG-1. Every year, six teams compete in a series of races. The loser gets knocked down to the second best league, the IG-2, while the winner of the second best league gets to be the new 6th team in the Immortal Grand Prix's IG-1 next year.

The rules are simple. You race around the track and have to do three laps. You are in mechs. Each team has 3 people. And..... aside from certain moves and tactics that are banned for being "too dangerous", anything else seems to go in what turns into a 300+ mph battle royale to finish 1st. You see, each race awards points. Each team member earns your team points depending on what place they get in 1st through 6th. I don't know the exact totals, but 1st place is worth the same as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th combined. At the end of the year, points are totaled and .... yeah. So coming in 1st in all your races guarantees you the win. Easy peasy.

The show follows the new rookie team in the IG-1, Team Satomi. The first season follows their journey towards the championship, while the second season follows their journey to defend their place in the IG-1. Against old rivals and new ones (and someone who seems to be hacking into their gear and rampantly cheating in races).

The three members of Team Satomi are Takeshi Jin, Liz Ricarro, and Amy Stapleton. Takeshi is their forward, Liz is their defender, and Amy is their midfielder. Amy also has a cat as her copilot (long story). These roles are only really important in that the forwards usually finish before the midfielders who finish before the defenders. Forwards are the people you rely on to attack and win the race, defenders are supposed to defend against people behind your team (assuming there is no interspersion), and midfielders troubleshoot when your team is behind and attacking or the teams orders are interspersed.

Takeshi is.... he's your typical overconfident @#@ who keeps getting into bad situations because of it. Even though the dude has a likeable side, it takes a lot of character development throughout the first season before he becomes a likable character and... they lose most of it right away at the beginning of the second season too. It also seems that he would rather goof off then go to their team's practice a lot of times, which comes back to haunt them.

The other two characters.... not sure how to describe them. Neither becomes much of their own character until much later in the show. At the beginning Liz is the one who argues a lot with Takeshi, because she takes their job a lot more seriously then he seems to. While Amy is some sort of peacemaker.

There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of important named characters in the anime, so I won't go over the rest of them that much. I'll just say that there is a comletely mixed bag here. Some are really annoying, while others are entertaining. For example, the announcer can really get on my nerves. Dude is completely tactless and tries too hard to create fake drama.

Overall, this anime might take itself a little too seriously. You know how there is normally some character assigned to comic relief? This anime doesn't have one of those. It's very cool looking and the races are entertaining, but there isn't much humor here. It tends to be very serious without a lot of jokes throughout both seasons.

Um.... there is some sort of romance going on betwene takeshi and one of the members of team skylark. But it feels really forced. And like the almost complete lack of humor, there isn't any real fan service here.

The music was just average. The animation..... well it's a mech-racing anime with a lot of futuristic and/or dark colors depending on what scene you are watching.

Overall? If you like mech animes you'll like this one. I would still recommend it to anyone who likes a good action anime. But you have to be willing to put up with some annoying side stories (of which there aren't that many but they exist) and an almost complete lack of comic relief of any substantial form.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
Ken Akamatsu is one of my favorite mangakas.
So...
Oh? Whys that?

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:06 pm 
PBP Moderator

On the topic of fanservice: I couldn't care less. It's not aimed towards me, or at least, doesn't get a response from me either positively nor negatively.
It shouldn't be onscreen over 50% of the time of course, but for example, Dog Days has a few shots (especially during battles), but I watch that show for the action and comedy in itself and if it's like that I don't mind.

Will you play with me? It only costs one coin.
Because when we're done, you won't continue!

--Flandre Scarlet, Touhou Project 6.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:08 pm 

I didn't really start seriously getting into manga until middle school (surprisingly).
Love Hina was one of the first series I read. It stuck.
And I mean, I just generally enjoy harem comedy, and Negima! was one of my favorite series until it approached its ending.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
I am going to try to elaborate a little.

So. SAO had three things AO did not.

1. A strong female protagonist.

And no, I do not count Leaf on the same order as Asuna. The first is too close to a stereotype and they didn't bother to develop her much further. The second is an extremely well-developed character they spent an entire season working their noses off to develop.

2. A real sense of danger or tension.

SAO has permadeath hanging over everyone's head. It's a massive story that involves every character in the world. The first episode ends with telling us how 1000 people died in the first month.

AO on the other hand ... Yes there is a bad guy. And yes when he is in your face you hate his guts and there is tension. But for the most of the time they are on an awesome adventure fighting minor bad guys and there is as much danger to Kirito as Mario experiences in world 1-3. The whole "we are racing to save the princess" thing really doesn't work here, and as mentioned before they don't really have strong characters to fill in the void.

And

3. Side-stories. From the Christmas episode to hunting down a wyvern for its crafting materials, SAO actually had side stories that were entertaining in their own rights. AO has nothing resembling that at all.

I wanted to put this in my thread, so that I can claim to have said this in this thread the next time it comes up if I haven't already. So here it is.

Like this post

Post subject: Heaven's Lost Property
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 pm 

Review of Heaven's Lost Property

So. I am going to try to convince you to watch the second episode of this. The first episode is crap and I wouldn't recommend starting with it. You won't miss anything very important. Um..... but yeah.

So a disclaimer. The show is a harem comedy. It is a harem comedy I have watched all the way through twice, but it is still a harem comedy. So... do not freak out if you go to watch it and there is fan service. And as a direct warning. You will not make it more than 60 seconds into the anime before you start to realize what you are in for. As a friendly heads up, at that moment in time, you will still be underestimating it.

Now to begin the actual review.

first half of first episode summary / beginning of plot explanation[/spoiler

This is the beginning of what essentially becomes a 2 season long campaign where Tomoki and his friends try to help 3 angeloids stop invasions of Tomoki's area by other angels from "The New World" (Sugata's name for it). This starts as a mecha kind of action show but eventually ends up "The Matrix" level weird and yet somewhat epic. And yes, by the end of the show a direct comparison to "The Matrix" is actually warranted. Or "Inception". Or both.

Spoiler

So. Characters.

Tomoki, as previously stated, is a pervert. I go into as much detail as it is earlier on that though.... The dude also does nothing wrong to the angeloids, which considering the rest of the anime is very "restrained" I would guess. The dude is actually a nice guy deep down. It's just hidden below all the annoying things a stereotypical ecchi character does.

Sohara is Tomoki's best friend and neighbor. She also has a huge crush on Tomoki but never tells him this. And she is usually the person beating the sheer @#$@ out of him when he deserves it. Long story short... I don't like this character. Because she is mean to other people some times even when they don't deserve it. For example, Tomoki asks for a place to stay. She downright refuses for obvious reasons and is a complete @#$ to him. Knowing Tomoki this sound reasonable right? That is before you remember that the reason Tomoki needs a place to stay is that Sohara made a wish that ended up blowing up his house with him in it. So..... yeah. She does a lot of that kind of crap. And she just develops into an annoying character because of it. Then again, her next door neighbor is Tomoki. So there may or may not be a justification. If not there is at least an explanation.

Sugata is one of my favorite anime characters of all time and one of the main reasons I watch the show. The dude runs the "New World Discovery Club". Which means he is investigating the "Anomoly" or whatever it is that seems to be parked above their town. Eventually he gets to explore it even with the help of some angeloid friends, which leads to most of the matrix and inception parts of the anime. And.... the dude is one of the most entertaining anime characters of all time but also gets into way too much trouble. Our introduction to him, or our real introduction where we learn his name (his introduction to episode 1 is crap), is him jumping off the school roof while the class president is cheerfully kissing the life insurance policy she took out on him for just this kind of occassion. And it only continues from there. I mean the dude lives in the woods. And fights bears hand to hand on a regular basis. And starts to use Tomoki as a test pilot in return for other favors. And so on. Just another in a line of at least "unique" characters in this anime.

Mikako is the student body president. She is also Sugata's childhood friend. Our introduction to her involves the life insurance policy she took out on Sugata when he is jumping off the roof.

Okay. Hold on a minute. I need to post this.

Okay. Where were we? Oh yeah. So our introduction to her is her displaying Sugata's life insurance policy. Our next introduction to her involves Sugata tied up and being abducted by mobsters (which is why he misses his plans with Tomoki) because he forgot he promised to do something with her. The time after that she is doing her best to get Tomoki in trouble. And it continues from there. Lady is a sadist. And her favorite person to mess with is Tomoki. For example once again, in said house exloding scenario, she tricks Tomoki into going back into the house. When literally every other person in the world could have gone into the house and not have blown it up. And Sugata points this out almost immediately. And her response is "but it's more fun this way." Another entertaining but "unique" character, she goes back and forth between funny and annoying.

There are also 4 or 5 episodes where she directly challenges Tomoki to some kind of competition and that is the entire episode. Spoiler: They are both ultra-competitive. From a snowball fight to a cork gun melee to other..... things, they have a tendency to take these competitions way too far.

Ikaros is the angeloid who lands in the field in episode 1. Angeloids units are basically designed to obey whoever is their "master" is, usually with the aid of magic. Even though they have thoughts and feelings and such. It's effectively instinct for them. This leads to a very long second half of the first episode where Tomoki does every naughty thing you could imagine. It would be the equivalent of giving Jiraiya from Naruto the power of invisibility. And...... it goes from there. Tomoki is always the essence of kindness and/or politeness to her, but she ends up helping with most of his plans regardless. She's the effective equivalent of Boo Boo to Tomoki's "smarter than the average bear". Except Yogi isn't after a picnic basket. And..... as stated it gets really "unique" very fast.

Ikaros ends up living at Tomoki's house so that Sohara, Sugata, and Tomoki can keep an eye on her and keep her powers relatively secret.

Nymph and Astraea are two angeloids that show up in episode 6 of season 1 and episode 2 of seaoson 2 respectively. The first is one of my other favorite characters and is actually a decent addition to the cast. That being said she is automatically the second smartest person in the group as soon as she joins, and she spend most of the first season as a "secret villain" against her will. You know the person who betrays you but really feels bad about it and who the audience can't help but feel sorry for.

Astraea is...... to put it bluntly, when they heard an angeloid was sent to kill Tomoki they dropped everything to go and rescue him. When they learned it was her they suddenly resumed their afternoon tea as if nothing was happening. The lady is... she's not that bright. She spends most of the second season as a "Team Rocket" level of incompetent villain that eventually becomes their friend. And ... yeah. It also means Tomoki is no longer the dumbest main character in the cast anymore.

Both end up moving in with Tomoki because Ikaros is their "sister".

For a more indepth description of the main plot... well the anomoly Sugata investigates is known as the Synapse. It's a very powerful place. And they mistakenly sent Ikaros down to Earth with her weapons systems in tact. And they really really don't want her to keep them. So most of the first season they are trying to recapture her. The second season, we find out what the Synapse really is and my mind was blown.

So. Overall......... I would recommend this anime. To anyone who fan service doesn't send scurrying. It's actually decently funny once you learn to ignore the fan service crap, and it was much much more entertaining than I expected of anything that has the misfortune to be a harem comedy. Just as a heads up though..... screw it. This is an all out disclaimer. Expect anything and everything and you won't be surprised.

If you can make it through the first 3 episodes, there is a good chance you will be able to make it through the whole thing. And..... if you are enjoying yourself by the time you finish watching the 5th episode, you will almost definitely like the show. So if someone wanted to try it, then 3 and 5 episodes would be what I suggest as deciding points.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:25 am 

I will have a review up within the hour I think.

However, I wanted to ask a question also in a separate post. So. If you had to pick, what is your favorite anime series?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:31 am 

Favorite Anime, eh. Black Lagoon is my favorite manga, but I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite anime.
Hmmm.... If I had to choose one right now... mmm. Clannad season 1? Either that or Ano Hana.
If I thought long and hard I'd probably come up with something else though.

Like this post

Post subject: The Future Diary
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:33 am 

Review of The Future Diary

So straight up warning. This anime is rated TV MA for a reason, and not just a few violent or fan service scenes or something else. A lot of mature subjects are covered here, so be forewarned. As part of some characters' back stories, very very bad things have happened to some of them. Some flashbacks may be disturbing to some viewers, so this is a blatant heads up now. YOU ARE FOREWARNED.

Yukiteru Amano is a very lonely boy in middle school who doesn't really talk to other people or have other friends. One day his imaginary friend turns out to be a God and gives his cell phone diary the ability to predict his future. The God however initially neglects to tell him the consequences that come with this power. After he is attacked by Third and saved by Second, they kill Third together and Yukiteru truly realizes that he has gotten himself in some deep, deep trouble.

So here are the rules of the game. There are twelve participants. Each has their own special diary that reflects their own personality. Yukiteru is First and his diary is "The Indiscriminate Diary". This means it can perfectly predict the future of events around him, but it cannot tell Yukiteru anything about himself. This reflects how he used to run his diary before it could see the future. Each other participant is also known by a number. And the rules are simple. Anything goes. Whichever of the 12 is left alive last becomes the god of space and time and life and death. To do this, you obviously have to make sure that the other 11 die. This means that you have to trigger a DEAD END for each other diary user, which is where their diary says they will die, and then prevent them from escaping it.

So first things first, "Deus Ex Machina" is a lazy name for a god.

Gasai Yuno is Second. And she is Yukiteru's stalker. Her diary tells her Yukiteru's future in 10 minute intervals, making it one of the weakest against anyone who is not Yukiteru. But by helping protect him from Third and Third's "Murder Diary", she convinces Yukiteru to work with her and together their diaries are almost flawless. Yukiteru's diary predicts the future of everything but himself. And Yuno's predicts his future.

So. THis is Gasai Yuno.

Spoiler

So just a heads up. Yuno is a crazy character. I am not sure of the full meaning of the word, but most people would consider her a Yandere. She is also Yuki's stalker and "girlfriend", and all she cares about is protecting Yukiteru until July 28th where her Diary promises a "Happy End". So first thing, she really does love Yuki for the entire anime. And.... so eventually they fall in love and Yuki stops caring about her insanity and all the bad things she has done. But in the meantime....... she does a lot of bad things. She even kidnaps Yuki at once point against his will in order to try to protect him better. And.... she kills A LOT of people across the course of the anime. It is always related to the game, and it is always to protect Yuki in some way, but she has the problem where violence is her first resort and not her last. And once she starts lying to him about something...... well she has to kill people to cover it up. And it spirals. It's..... she is a very very good and well-developed but very very disturbing character. And for some people, she is the character that makes the anime interesting enough to watch. Personally........ I say she's a well-developed character, but not that well-developed.

Since she is basically Yuki's "protector" for most of the anime, Yuki basically...... he's very selfish and very weak and does a lot of things that make no good sense throughout the anime. Because that is the way they drew the character. The dude however is also desperate to make friends, and once he actually does that he gets better as a character. Because he actually gets to interact with people on a regular basis in the second half of the anime that aren't either Yuno and/or trying to kill him.

The rest of the players....... well it's complicated. This anime doesn't really have side stories, and most of the entertainment comes from wanting to know what happens next in the game. So I can't really spoil too much about any of the villains or it will spoil the plot arc for you. That being said....... I felt sorry for all but two of the other players at some point. One character I didn't feel sorry for was the person who actually came up with the game, and the other was just too much of a caricature for me to care. They do a really good job of explaining every character's backstory in great detail and why they do what they do. None of these characters, except for 11th, is completely Black or White, good or evil, etc. Each wants to become God for one specific reason or another. Whether be to save a dying son, to bring back lost loved ones, to protect those you care about, or just because you believe the other 11 people would do a bad job.

That being said, every single character in this game is a murderer by the end of it, and the only ones with purely good intentions are Eighth and Twelfth. So.... at some point you are going to hate most of the characters for one reason or another, and at some other point you'll no their backstory and feel kind of sorry for most of them. Which order that goes in though.......... So for example one of the characters was a victim of a horrible crime when she was younger. The whole explanation of this does a lot to garner sympathy for the character from the audience. And then they waste it all by having her do it to someone else right before she dies. WTF? The anime is very good at building suspense and backstory and so forth, but there are also a lot of instances of it just plain freaking dropping the ball.

At the same time, you occassionally having trouble taking some of these characters seriously. Like the "hero of justice" who, as every review I read stated, really does seem to think he is some sort of weird power ranger. Or the 4 year old. Or the dude who eats ramen and water while feeding filet mignon and fine wine to his pets.

Speaking of, I liked the anime but I will say right now that the original ending is pure crap. They fixed it two years later by releasing an epilogue OVA that hasn't been localized yet, but....... the original ending is pure crap. And after one of the most hearttouching moments of the entire anime about 10 minutes earlier. It's just...... incompetent.

Also to be stated, there is fan service in 4 or 5 episodes. Usually with Yuno. All of it is designed to be part of the actual situation and none of it seems to be meant for the audience, but......... just a heads up.

The first opener (except for the last 5 seconds where they drop the ball) has good enough music and is memorable enough without spoiling anything that I really liked it and watched it about 3/4 of the times it came up.

The second opener on the other hand spends about 45 of its 90 seconds on dead characters. And I mean dead for 3 or 4 seconds before the opener ever showed up. And the music was just okay. And..... it wasn't as good as the first.

Overall? I would recommend watching it if you don't mind some mature themes. Just be forewarned that A LOT of people die in this survival game. Sometimes very violently.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am 

Which one is the "original"?

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 pm 

No. You can tell the difference because the original is episode 26 of the anime while the ova is separate. Both have the same last seen with the ova going about 30-60 seconds further.

So,for everyone else, if you don't want to know the ending, don't read this spoiler.
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 pm 
PBP Moderator

mjack33 wrote:
However, I wanted to ask a question also in a separate post. So. If you had to pick, what is your favorite anime series?

With the different genres I watch I don't think I can pick one. But my favorite 5 at random order are:

Bakemonogatari
Azumanga Daioh
Dog Days
Hellsing
Sayonara Zetsubuo Sensei

Will you play with me? It only costs one coin.
Because when we're done, you won't continue!

--Flandre Scarlet, Touhou Project 6.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 pm 

Hellsing... Ultimate?
I seem to remember the original Hellsing anime being not-so-great.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 pm 

But now this one is ... Ultimate!

Play-By-Post Games

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 pm 

Speaking of someone else is going to do a review of that sometime.

I need to think about what my favorite anime is now. Hmmm ..

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:52 pm 

Proper use of commas would help convey the meaning of that first sentence and no require it be reread. ;)

Play-By-Post Games

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:54 pm 

Jack aint need no punctuation It is holding him back :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

:face:

Play-By-Post Games

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
My favorite anime is Kokoro Connect

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 61  Next