It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:44 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 26, 2016
Posts: 1
i thought this would be an interesting topic to talk about, do you guys think it should be legal to run an escort agency in this country because yes they are only selling companionship however we all know what an escort is selling so what does everyone think? i dont see that big of a problem if the escorts are on board let them do as they please.

_________________
I'm Amber i am a massive football fanatic.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 10, 2013
Posts: 9556
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The more legal prostitution becomes, the safer those girls are.

_________________
DCG-MTG wrote:
There's a limited amount of fun to be had in a single game, and this deck will ensure no one has any of it.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:31 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 25, 2013
Posts: 2891
Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
If I want to sell a cheeseburger and cuddle with my customer at the same time why can't I?

_________________
A light in the darkness, trying to hide.


Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2015
Posts: 2359
decriminalize sex work


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 2803
Location: Brazil
What country? I believe you are referring to USA, but if it is Iran...


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:04 pm 
Offline
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion
User avatar

Joined: Jun 04, 2014
Posts: 12382
Location: Freedom
Preferred Pronoun Set: they
The more legal prostitution becomes, the safer those girls are.

basically that.

there's also moral arguments about whether it should be stigmatized in the first place (it shouldn't) but really the safety argument should be good enough.

:duel:

_________________
I tend to agree with Razor.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone


Last edited by razorborne on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:07 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 3032
Identity: Female
razorborne wrote:
The more legal prostitution becomes, the safer those girls are.

basically that.

:duel:


+1


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:43 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 7305
Location: England
Legalization of prostitution services equals safer work environments and allows us to more efficient tax those services. Why would we not want this? The only people who oppose that sort of thing are those banging the 'decency and morality' drums and quite frankly screw those guys.

_________________
Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 3032
Identity: Female
morality is an important aspect of what most people are okay with


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:07 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 7018
Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Oh hey, an account with only one post on a topic completely unrelated to the site. Doesn't appear to be selling anything though. Hmm.

On topic, I think selling sex is a bit like selling internal organs, something which is also illegal. In both cases, it is ostensibly consensual on both sides, but very exploitative, so a large part of the people selling are doing so only because they have no other choice. I think the best way to counter this exploitation is not by criminalization, but by not putting people in positions where they are forced to choose between being exploited and starvation or homelessness. I think people should be allowed to work as prostitutes if they want too, but I don't think anyone should be coerced into it prostitution by poverty.

_________________
Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:19 pm 
Offline
YMtC Idol Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 276
Preferred Pronoun Set: Your Majesty
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say "no, it should not be legal".

Prostitution should be legal as long as we're talking about individual entrepreneurs or partnerships thereof. An agency/brothel model wherein a significant part of value is captured by people who are not prostitutes themselves is exploitative and should remain illegal. To paraphrase Marx, sex workers should have full control of the, ahem, 'means of production'.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:33 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 3032
Identity: Female
how is it more exploitative than similar commercial entities?

People who work an assemblyline only receive a tiny fraction of the profit the assemblyline reaps.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 2803
Location: Brazil
razorborne wrote:
The more legal prostitution becomes, the safer those girls are.

basically that.

there's also moral arguments about whether it should be stigmatized in the first place (it shouldn't) but really the safety argument should be good enough.

:duel:


Morality is an issue. I once watched an interview with a specialist telling that USA is a dichotomy at this point. At one side, it was colonized by puritans and they still have a strong presence and at the other hand it is the biggest porn producer of the world. Hard to create a consensus with that background.

Although I agree with that argument, things are not that simple. The illegal market offers more money and there are some other problems to consider, like pension.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 3032
Identity: Female
why not legalize


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 10848
Location: Kamloops, BC
Identity: Male
Lilan wrote:
razorborne wrote:
The more legal prostitution becomes, the safer those girls are.

basically that.

:duel:


+1

_________________
Cato wrote:
CotW is a method for ranking cards in increasing order of printability.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 13, 2015
Posts: 2359
decriminalize don't legalize

dont prosecute sex workers
do prosecute people who traffic sex workers and also purchase their services

prosecuting sex workers' clients creates the same problems; the nordic model does not work


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 2803
Location: Brazil
decriminalize don't legalize

dont prosecute sex workers
do prosecute people who traffic sex workers and also purchase their services


It is this way more or less here in Brazil. Prostitution is not a crime, nor paying for services. Pimping and brothels are illegal. In practice, it did not work either, pimping and brothels still work and are overlooked by police. Because prostitutes without brothels are like doctors without a hospital.

Most prostitutes that work alone desire to join a brothel where they have guaranteed work and security. Only the most famous are able to work alone with security.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 10, 2013
Posts: 9556
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
You can't stop it from happening though. Anyway, prostitution MIGHT be bad for women, but illegal prostitution for sure is bad for them.

HIV among sex workers is 33-46% more prevalent in countries where it's illegal (other STDs too). Because they can't access health care and social services. Rape among these women declines by 31% largely because they can now freely approach the police, so there's ramifications for perpetrators.

Up here in Canada, the exchange of sex for money is legal (just like in Nevada for some reason), but pimping and brothels is illegal. Brothels look like they're becoming legal up here if they haven't already.

You just got to get rid of the pimps. Once they're gone, it gets a whole lot cleaner and it protects minors (since pimps were the main problems in that aspect).

But to go back to your point, Door, is prostitution objectively bad for women? It's a victimless crime except in the cases where the woman has been kidnapped (human trafficking).

_________________
DCG-MTG wrote:
There's a limited amount of fun to be had in a single game, and this deck will ensure no one has any of it.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:44 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 7018
Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
But to go back to your point, Door, is prostitution objectively bad for women? It's a victimless crime except in the cases where the woman has been kidnapped (human trafficking).

Yes, the man or woman is, without being kidnapped, choosing to have sex for money. However, the same argument could be made for minimum wage and workplace safety laws, and yet we keep them around because we believe that it is unethical for anyone to be put into such working conditions. Whether or not you think prostitution falls under this domain is a matter of opinion, but an argument of this nature is not without precedent.

_________________
Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 2803
Location: Brazil

You just got to get rid of the pimps. Once they're gone, it gets a whole lot cleaner and it protects minors (since pimps were the main problems in that aspect).



I agree. The best option, in my opinion, is decriminalize prostitution (which in many parts of the world it was already done). Legalize brothels (but not the prostitution) and combat pimping, human trafficking and slavery.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group