It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 am 

Identity: Male
Here are some cards inspired by my in-development text adventure game set on Solphos, The Weight of a Soul.

Marid, Doctor's Apprentice

Legendary Creature - Human (M)
3/2

, Discard a card: Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
, Exile X creature cards from your graveyard: Draw X cards.

"You're not dead yet."

The protagonist of my story is a hardened orphan girl who investigates a series of deaths, and ultimately has to make some difficult moral choices. It's difficult to go into much detail without spoilers, but this card represents Marid as she progresses through the game.

Ars Vitalis

Sorcery (U)

Choose one -
  • Destroy target creature.
  • Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

The difference between life and death is measured by the edge of a blade.

Aer Soporifer

Sorcery - Ingredient (C)

Tap up to X target creatures, where X is the number of Ingredients you've cast this turn. Those creatures don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps.

"The animus is stilled by the fixedness of the air, as it is still in death and slumber."
-Alchemical Library of Fluids

Determination

Enchantment - Aura (U)

Enchant creature
You may have enchanted creature assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.
: Enchanted creature gains indestructible until end of turn.

"I am the stream that never ceases. I am the stone that never breaks."

Blood and Tears

Instant (R)

Draw X cards, where X is the life you've lost this turn.
Cycling - Pay 3 life. (Pay 3 life, Discard a this card: Draw a card.)

"We cherish nothing until it is lost."
-Writings of Doctor Arturus

Underground Exterminators

Creature - Human Warrior (U)
2/2

Protection from Beebles, from Horrors, from Oozes, and from Weirds

If It Moves, We'll Kill It.
-Ciccus's Hunting Company motto

These are just some fun cards inspired by the game's setting and themes.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm 

I don't know about you, but these cards just ooze flavor. I love it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 am 

Yes, I care a lot about flavor. You can see my other YMtC works for more examples.

Thanks for commenting!

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:43 pm 

I haven't played the game (noir-style text adventures aren't really my thing), but commenting on the cards in a vacuum...

Marid seems pretty cool. The activated indestructibility is nice, as is the card advantage. From a flavor perspective, what I'm getting is that she's moving from patching people up (which I think would be better represented by regenerating a creature rather than making it indestructible, but indestructible as a representation of medicine does have precedent) to performing autopsies in order to dig up evidence of something. The second ability... from a flavor perspective, I would have made it "Exile a creature card from your graveyard: investigate", since the mechanic already exists and all, but that would be sacrificing playability for flavor, when the balance is honestly already pretty good as-is.

Ars Vitalis... is interesting. I like it. Removal if you need it, or if you don't it's a reanimator spell. Not sure I get the flavor though... I'm guessing that it's a doctor in a position to purposefully mess up an operation in order to kill someone, or to continue it normally and save them.

Aer Soporifor... sleeping gas, I'm guessing, is what it translates to? It hits that from a flavor perspective, but, I'm not sure if it's actually a good card. It feels like a really limited, chopped down version of Storm. Then again, even on its own, it's still a Rush of Ice, if a bit overcosted. I'd say make it "one more than the number of ingredients that have entered your graveyard this turn". Only slightly more powerful, it adds a synergy with Marid (which I like for the reason of having a doctor's apprentice using ingredients), and creates more of a feel of using a bunch of ingredients for a single effect, rather than the feel of just casting a bunch of spells that slowly increase in power.

Determination is pretty cool. It fits the name well, and if Green is going to do effective unblockable, this is how it would do it.

Blood and Tears... I'd put it in rather than . Black has card draw that costs life, but generally speaking, doesn't get card advantage without a life cost. It does synergize with Black, but, it isn't a black effect in and of itself. Red is the color that, flavor-wise, would most likely inflict some kind of backlash after taking a bunch of damage, and blue is the color, mechanically, most likely to have mass card draw. Also, your reminder text on the cycling is wrong; it should be discard this card. I do like the flavor of someone taking a severe injury and coming out more determined though.

Underground Exterminators is fine. Ignoring the fact that protection is being phased out as a mechanic, it's a 2/2 for 2 with upside. From a flavor perspective, they feel like a team of normal humans who have gotten really good at dealing with weird freaky stuff, to the point where it's just a day-to-day matter for them. Although I find it amusing that they could still be killed by rats or spiders, which are more traditional types of vermin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:10 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Ars Vitalis is an aesthetically interesting effect, and I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:49 am 

@Marid: Marid makes things indestructible because regeneration is being phased out and white doesn't usually regenerate.

@Ars Vitalis: This card is pushed for Constructed reanimator decks, which highly value redundant reanimator effects if they don't take up deck slots. The flavor is that one versed in medicine is uniquely empowered to both save lives and take them, a theme of my story.

@Aer Soporifer: This card is a callback to a mechanic from Solphos block, which wanted a storm-like mechanic because its gimmick was being the 'combo set.'

@Underground Exterminators: I'm aware that protection is being phased out, but the idea was too cool not to use.

I'm glad you like the cards!

Like this post