It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm 

Time to stretch those card making muscles again YMtCers. Today I'm offering a special deal, one that may be somewhat transformative in how I run these going forward (as I said before I've got quite an art backlog). Anyway, today I have not one but two arts for you to choose from. Use one, use the other.....use both? Either way, make a cool flavorful card by Friday morning when I sit down to grade what offerings come my way. Just remember to let me know which art you are using for your card.

Spoiler

Have fun! And happy designing.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:30 pm 

The YMTCer in me feels I must resist a transformation card. Must. Resist....losing...battle....

Altar of Athreos
Legendary Land (R)
Altar of Gaea enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on target legendary creature. If you do, transform Altar of Athreos.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Shrine of Athreos
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool.
: Put a -1/-1 counter on target legendary creature. If you do, transform Shrine of Athreos.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm 

Celestial Fulcrum

Artifact
:t:: Put an alignment counter on Celestial Fulcrum
, :q:: You may transform Celestial Fulcrum.
//
Celestial Alignment
() Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, attacks, or blocks, remove an alignment counter from Celestial Alignment and choose one
  • Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.
  • Put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
Whenever there are no alignment counters on Celestial Alignment, transform it.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 pm 

Honden of Tearing Branches
Legendary Enchantment - Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, Honden of Tearing Branches deals 1 damage for each shrine you control to target creature with flying an opponent controls. If that creature is a moonfolk, transform Honden of Tearing Branches.

//////////////////////

Honden of Jukai's Revenge
Legendary Enchantment - Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy a target blue permanent for each shrine you control.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
2nd art

Lunar Crux | :1::g::u:
Enchantment

At the beginning of each end step, untap target permanent you control. Then, for each card named ~ in your graveyard, you may untap another target permanent you control.
Cycling - Tap two untapped creatures you control.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 am 

Art 2

Selene's Favor
Enchantment

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, Bolster 2.

Selene's favors embolden even the meekest of her followers.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 am 

Okay, grades time!

Dudibus

Looks like this one needs a little bit more clean up (did it start off as Altar of Gaea?). Anyway, design-wise I sort of like it. This is a card that could go into maybe a Death and Taxes style deck that runs a decent supply of white legendaries to help with the mirror match and give you deck a little boost. It could also be fun in Commander, which I hear is nice. The flavor to art ratio is a bit off though. If this art was going to be Therosian God themed, I would have pegged it more in Karametra's wheelhouse, at least on the day side.

Tevish Szat
Unlike many people, I always thought the untap mechanic was neat. The names of your cards are really evocative when paired with the art. While I really like what the Celestial Fulcrum is doing to charge up, I think Celestial Alignment is too easily burning away all of your hard work. I think a "may" clause would have served this card better, even though I get that it's sort of built around a "window of opportunity" kind of flavor. If werewolves can have it be nighttime for turns on end, I think this can stand to let you use it a little more strategically.

YingLung

The flavor of this one is pretty solid, but the design itself is a bit wonky. The front side sits in a pretty narrow portion of Green's color pie (with an even narrower transform trigger that pretty much feels like it would only work in a return to Kamigawa set with loads more moonfolk or moonfolk tokens). The flip side is very oppressive and way outside modern design sensibilities with Green straight up destroying permanents and color hating on Blue. It did make me smile that this costs as much as Desert Twister to cast though.

Tekkahedron

This is a very interesting enchantment. The name works well with the art and the basic design is pretty solid. It is a little weird to me that, to maximize the effectiveness, you have to have two of these in play and two in your graveyard. But weird in a strange and good way.

Vega_Z27

Moon goddess cards are fun. In this case though, I think you maybe could have gone instead of . White tends to be more flavorfuly tied to the sun, while (outside of some very notable exceptions) Green and Blue tend to have the stronger claim to the moon in Magic's flavor across the ages.

This was a pretty good, if light, round. Of the five of you, Tekkahedron's and Tevish Szat's cards really spoke to me and seemed to fit the art well. I'm going to give the win to Tekkahedron, as his card was slightly more interesting in that it made me do mental math to sort out its more optimal alignment.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:51 pm 

Identity: Male
I just saw this now, but that is one very nice pair of artwork.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:02 pm 

AzureShade wrote:

Vega_Z27

Moon goddess cards are fun. In this case though, I think you maybe could have gone instead of . White tends to be more flavorfuly tied to the sun, while (outside of some very notable exceptions) Green and Blue tend to have the stronger claim to the moon in Magic's flavor across the ages.

White was mostly a mechanical choice for the counters because I was trying to compare the power level to card that could be a repeatable Common Bond.I probably should've submitted the card in the spoiler box, it was more interesting anyway. Oh well. Also Paraselene :V

Anyway congrats Tekkahedron!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:58 pm 

I think bolster can easily find a home in Green and Blue. It has a very Simic feel to it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:33 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Ah, paraselene. I played a paraselene legacy deck for a bit at my lgs legacy events.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:02 pm 

@Pariah-It was more to prove a point of recent white cards with ties to the moon than anything else. Not that it has the power level of anything Azure mentioned, and I'd personally never heard of Moonlit Walk. It probably was more justified being in blue than anything for ties to the moon, but the effect was somewhat of a repeatable common bond which is where I tried to base the cost off of, and bolster had appeared in only both white and green so far. I wasn't actually sure if blue was a stretch, especially since it's the creature light color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 pm 

Thanks for the comments!

I actually struggled with whether or not alignment was too easy to fire off in a massive/oppressive manner: Uncontrollable though it is, it throws out as many counters for your mana as Thrive, can shrink enemies, and when its all out you can charge it up again. That said, Thrive is not a good card, so perhaps I should have aimed a little higher.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post