It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:58 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they

welcome back to YMtC's premiere squirrel-run recurring design contest! Pro Tour YMtC is the biggest and the best contest that runs here all year, and I can say that because, as its host, I am utterly unbiased on the subject! here, all your design skills will be tested: innovation, flavor, balance, elegance, and many more will be judged over the course of this competition, and only the truly great will be left standing. (DISCLAIMER: last year, instead of the truly great, Mown was left standing. we're still unsure how that happened.) so join us! join the ranks of YMtC royalty as you battle to claim the coveted title of YMtC Pro Tour Champion 2016. good luck!

this contest has two main sections: the open audition and the top 8. the open audition lasts 7 (yes, 7) rounds, and you're free to hop in at any time. rounds last one week for entries, then we take a week off for judging. in each round, you can earn up to 5 points based on our esteemed judges' rankings. there's a math formula for translating rankings into points, but suffice it to say that higher scores are rarer. roughly half of you will get 0 or 1 in any given round, so a comeback with a couple high-scoring rounds is never really out of the question.

at the end of the audition, we'll cut to the top 8. here, the best competitors square off in a three-round single-elimination bracket for all the glory. the judges at this point are done: everything is decided by public vote, so even if you don't make it in, you still have the power to shape the competition. use it wisely.

and finally, last year featured a Wild Card round for the last top 8 slot, and I think it did a good job fostering competition in later rounds, so we're doing it again! instead of going to the 8th-best scorer, the 8th seed in the top 8 will go to the winner of a final last-ditch bonus invitational round, open to anyone who entered into all seven audition rounds. so even if you're not doing great, stick with it, you just might take the wild card! (in the interest of fair competition, I reserve the right to disqualify non-serious entries from counting. I will use this power only if necessary. please don't make it necessary?)

and now, on to judges! this year, we're doing things a little differently: FOUR people agreed to help me out and tell you all whether or not you're terrible. (you are.) I tend to think three is the magic number in terms of judge accuracy, but four gives me even more data, plus some built in redundancy. if, at the end of the judging period, all four have posted grades, I'll use all of them. if one of them is missing, though, I'll just use the three I got. but who are the four? good question! let's meet them!

• Mown, winner of YMtC Idol 9, YMtC Champs 2011, and the second YMtC Pro Tour Champion
  • GrifterMage, winner of YMtC Idol 5
  • Detektor, winner of YMtC Idol 10, YMtC Champs 2009
  • Rumor, winner of YMtC Idol 3

if any ties arise from averaging their rankings, I will be in charge of breaking them. think of me as your head judge. you hope I don't have to get involved, but if I do, my ruling is final. FINAL! anyway, criteria time...

art! art is the third part of a card, and this week we're using it! but the very first PT YMtC used a criteria that gave you classic art and asked you to make cards from it, so we can't do that again, can we? even though it was a great criteria and everyone loved it. but no! something new!

Round 3 Criteria

or not! seriously, card the art is a classic criterion, and it's totally different based on the art pieces chosen. so let's do it again! since DS pointed out last time that I had chosen exclusively pictures made by white men, I'm going to try to pick all ones that are painted by people who aren't white men this time! pick one of the pieces of art below and make a card for it! if the proportions seem wrong, feel free to pretend it's a full-art promo or whatever. many of these will be outside the typical aesthetic of Magic art because, shockingly, Magic's aesthetic is largely informed by European artwork. while I can't speak for the judges, I would recommend that your card focus more on the content of the piece than the style it's presented in.

Credits

have fun! you have a week!

current standings

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:13 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Pff, bringing PC into contests. Good art though.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:30 am 

Seaside Farm
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
:t:: Add :c: to your mana pool.
:1:, :t:: Add :w: or :u: to your mana pool. You gain 1 life.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:35 am 

I was slightly inspired by 7 and then I saw 8 and was like "Woah, that's pretty cool." Whats the title and artist?

The Unrelenting Past
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, return target creature from a graveyard to battlefield under your control. It gains Indestructible and "At the beginning of your end step, this creature deals damage to you equal to its power."
Guilt, regret, and sorrow shall consume us all.

Last edited by POSValkir on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:44 am 
YMtC Champ '14

it's by Ibrahim El Salahi. I don't know the name of the piece.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:55 am 

I kinda wanted to design some new Bird Maiden with #6, but that seemed too easy, out of color pie, and #8 looks way cooler.

Parade of Souls
Sorcery
Exile X creature cards from among all graveyards.
Put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each creature exiled this way if was spent to cast Parade of Souls. Each opponent loses 1 life for each creature exiled this way if was spent to cast Parade of Souls. (Do both if was spent.)

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:09 am 

Alright, let's see the art.

1 - What is this, a rakshasa stealing something? Could be used for a steal spell or a demon related spell (since in Tarkir Rakshasa were cat demons).

2 - Boring but works for like a land or green enchantment related to trees. Maybe Green/White since it is a park.

3 - Too realistic and has guns and real flags. This is a really bad choice for card art because it is so plain and realistic.

4 - Okay, some Frida Kahlo stuff. This definitely screams a Druid or Shaman. People might try playing with that but honestly it just screams that so much that doing otherwise has a big risk of getting "What does that have to do with the art"?

5 - Are those shisa? Cause I'm down for some shisa. Well it guardian lions/lion-dogs are common in Asia from what I've seen. So these could be taken as Shisa, Komainu, maybe Chinese Shi, or Korean Xiezhi. But a search shows this is a Japanese art piece so Shisa or Komainu are the most obvious choices.

6 - Some Birdmen. Doesn't really give itself too much to a card besides like being used on a reprint of Flying Men. Though I'm sure someone will come up with something interesting.

7 - Trippy and odd. Very much has a vibe of older Magic art.

8 - Same way but while the above feels like a sorcery this feels like a creature.

9 - Alright, a little sunny island with heavy farming going on. This can be used well.

10 - Now this is good. There is so much that can be done with this piece. It lends itself to lots of Black things. Could be reanimation, since they're drinking and the guy in red is looking away this could be seen as a surprise appearance of the skeleton so it could be a kill spell, You could take the skull it's holding as something it is trying to give them to get like a paindraw card or something. It could be a creature with the skeleton as what you summon. This is probably the best piece for the criteria (3 is the worst, so choosing 10 is kinda like easy mode while choosing three is a hard mode).

I'm gonna go 5 because I like shisa.

Kinsa and Ginsa, Guardian Pair
Legendary Creature - Beast Spirit
First Strike, Protection from Demons and from Ogres
: Creatures you control get +0/+1 until end of turn.
Appearing from far away lands, the elder Kinsa has spread happiness across Kamigawa. Meanwhile her brother Ginsa has torn asunder any oni or other evil that crossed their path.
4/4

Kinsa and Ginsa are Gold (Kin) and Silver (Gin) mixed with the word Shisa. Gold and Silver reference their color scheme here. Kinsa is the older sister and Ginsa is the younger brother. Shisa are actually Okinawan not Japanese (though Japan would like you to forget there is a distinction there, and Japan has the similar Komainu) so I did them as wanderers from another land who came into Kamigawa instead of natives. Traditionally female shisa are protectors of good while males are defenders from evil. So protection from both Ogres and Demons (Oni and their servants put into the context of the first Kamigawa) to show the defender from evil part, as well as first strike to make it a bit less narrow. While the combat part is Ginsa, the pump is Kinsa. I admit it isn't the most interesting ability on a Legendary even if it does show the guardian aspect so I might change it up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 am 

Walk the Familiar Sands -
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, creatures you control add mana equal to their mana cost to your mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end. (Mana cost includes color. If a mana symbol has multiple colors, choose one.)
Within you echoes the footsteps of generations.

Let's see how this jives!

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 am 
YMtC Champ '14

whoops I didn't realize 3 had a gun in it. the flag is just blue, white, and red boxes, could easily be anything, but yeah if I'd noticed the gun I might've kept looking. still, though, I think it works fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Is it just me, or does #3 look like she's about to laugh?

Gift of the River Trickster | :u::u:
Sorcery

Search your library for an artifact or enchantment card and exile it. Shuffle your library. That card gains "Sacrifice three Gold: Put this card into your hand from exile." for as long as it is in exile.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 am 

Nightweaving
Enchantment
Whenever a creature without shadow dies or is exiled, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control. It gains shadow.
Frayed souls are raveled on the edge of night, bound as ghosts, loosed as men.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:09 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: I/me/my/mine/myself
Art #10

Manic Thespians
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
You may have Manic Thespians enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.
Unearth
Anything for an encore.
0/0

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:19 am 

Draft

Draft 2

Walk through Wilds
Sorcery
Name a creature or land card.
Reveal the top card of your library. If it is the named card, put it into your hand. If it isn’t, exile it, then you may pay :g:. If you do, repeat this process.
Shuffle all cards exiled by Walk through Wilds into your library.

Card Image

Old Style

Last edited by resdamalos on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:24 am 

Is it just me, or does #3 look like she's about to laugh?

It isn't just you. She could pass off as the one-woman-murder-machine that did those people in. I actually imagined it.

Anyway, since my only plan left is the wild card, I am gonna do the "realistic, gun-showing" #3

Might as well make a more EDH kind of card.

Satirical Musings -
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents control can't attack you unless he or she attacks each of his or her other opponents as well.
Whenever a creature you do not control dies, draw a card.
'I had witnessed the aftermath. Men laid death in the dust, the air reeking of blood. Fortune and power. These men may believe they could hold all the riches in their greedy hands, but they could never take them to their graves. I do grieve for their empty lives but when I feel a smile slowly creeping up my lips. I knew better.'

I don't even know if I am using Satirical correctly.

Last edited by Confused on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Um, why did you pick a criteria I can't do

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:19 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Wait, I thought you said art. These all look like some baby urinated some paint on a canvas.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:30 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Boardwalk to a New Dawn
Enchantment Land (R)
, : Add four mana of any one color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast enchantment, Elemental, or Incarnation spells or activate abilities of enchantments, Elementals, or Incarnations.
"If Heaven's just a long road home
Tell me it's true
I'll go too"
—The Airborne Toxic Event,
Innocence

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 pm 

I don't want to inform anyone's decisions on the pieces, but if you want to include artist credit anywhere...

1. Arghan Div Brings the Chest of Armor to Hamza by Unknown
  2. The Doshan Tappeh Street by Kamal-ol-molk
  3. The Paraguayan Woman by Juan Manuel Blanes
  4. Self Portrait with Necklace of Thorns by Frida Kahlo
  5. Chinese guardian lions (Karajishi) by Kanō Eitoku
  6. Two Eagle Dancers by Stephen Mopope
  7. Travelling Women by Samantha Daniels Napaltjarri
  8. Reborn Sounds of Childhood Dreams I by Ibrahim El-Salahi
  9. The Scarecrow by Chafik Charobim
  10. The Last Drop by Judith Leyster

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

resdamalos wrote:
I don't want to inform anyone's decisions on the pieces, but if you want to include artist credit anywhere...

1. Arghan Div Brings the Chest of Armor to Hamza by Unknown
  2. The Doshan Tappeh Street by Kamal-ol-molk
  3. The Paraguayan Woman by Juan Manuel Blanes
  4. Self Portrait with Necklace of Thorns by Frida Kahlo
  5. Chinese guardian lions (Karajishi) by Kanō Eitoku
  6. Two Eagle Dancers by Stephen Mopope
  7. Travelling Women by Samantha Daniels Napaltjarri
  8. Reborn Sounds of Childhood Dreams I by Ibrahim El-Salahi
  9. The Scarecrow by Chafik Charobim
  10. The Last Drop by Judith Leyster

thanks! I was compiling it late at night and forgot to do those, and then when I remembered I had trouble refinding some of them. I'll add this to the OP.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm 

Oh, are they Chinese Guardian Lions? I found that it was Japanese so I figured they were the Japanese equivalent. Aw well, my cards still work fine even if I'm now tempted to change the names.

Like this post