It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: [Warchief] Buried Voices
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:25 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Mexev, Patron of Tombs
Legendary Creature — Spirit Cleric
: Attach target Curse you control to target opponent.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card for each Curse attached to you.
"As history repeats itself, listen to the shrieks of those forsaken by fate."
1/5

[99/99] Decklist
[16/38] Lands
Altar of Forbearance ¥
Altar of Lunacy ¥
Altar of Obedience ¥
Blistering Estate ¥
Bloodstained Asylum
Hall of Champions
Halls of Purity
Imbrued Cathedral
Kolvobian Stronghold
Meteorite Pillar
Rotten Estate ¥
Scorched Wastes
Shining Estate ¥
Solemn Crematorium ¥
Sun Pillar
Twilight Basilica
[15/??] Creatures
Accord of Stars
Archfiend of Tyranny
Beckoner of Souls
Broken Wanderer
Deathstalker
Departrawler
Desultory Treasurer ¥
Enclave of Malice
Haunted Miser ¢
Iggix, Erratic Trader ¥
Mabushi, Star Corona
Mhul, Pactbroker
Nestor, Douanier of Souls ¢
Qualia Claimant ¥
Ta'ardel, Harbinger of Desolace
[27/25] Curses
A Lonesome Night
Analytical Meltdown
Blinding Stress
Brand of Infamy
Brand of Leyveins
Breach of Confidentiality
Ceaseless Visit
Curse of Eternity
Curse of Exorbitant Charity
Curse of Haunting Reunions
Curse of Humbled Gestures
Curse of Magnetism
Curse of Mortality
Curse of Phantasmogoria
Curse of Shocking Revelations
Curse of Trembling Awe
Echoes of Bloodshed
Echoes of Paranoia
Echoes of Wailing
Erased History
Malediction of Lost Hours
Mark of Crescive Dementia
Mark of Encroaching Rot
Mark of Mundane Edict
Stoked Infamy
Succulent Flesh
Whelm of Hesitation
[08/??] Instants & Sorceries
Crave for Indulgence ¥
Essence Rapture
Festering Misfortune
Flames of Conception
Render to Ash
Shape Constellations
Spontaneous Ravings
Seize Inheritance ¥
[13/??] Artifacts, Enchantments & Planeswalkers
Blood Alleys ¥
Centum Levoux ¥
Cinder Lantern ¥
Delna, Shadow's Allure
Emerald Atlas ¥
Endless Dawn
Ester, Duke of Marrow ¢
Keep Hostage ¢
Liturgy of Reckoning ¢
Pyramid Scheme ¢
Reality Eclipse
Taxation ¢
Warden's Marble

¢: Extort
¥: Stash

01.06.16: Activated ability now targets opponents instead of players.

Lilian wrote:
if i hear one more word about mown i'll probably throw up. I've never cringed more talking to a single human being than mown.

Last edited by Mown on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 am, edited 21 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:42 pm 

Dope, dope dope dope. Do you want help?

Also you should host another contest for Mownership, I think it's about time

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I'll take comments.
Also you should host another contest for Mownership, I think it's about time

Yes you should.
After a period of one month has transpired since the last contest, any member of the community may host a challenge for the rights to ownership, following the same procedures: 5 days of open submissions, followed by a public voting process spanning 3 days. The criteria is decided upon by the contested article, and starts immediately thereafter.

Lilian wrote:
if i hear one more word about mown i'll probably throw up. I've never cringed more talking to a single human being than mown.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:26 pm 

This is the only thing I'm confused about
The criteria is decided upon by the contested article,

For specific feedback -- card is sweet, unsure why it's red mechanically but I vibe flavorfully. Are you going to make all the cards for this deck, or...? Because there's like maybe ten or fifteen Enchantment — Aura Curses in the game

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Well it basically means I choose the criteria after someone makes the challenge. I could leave it in the hands of the one making the contest, but given that they're participating, that felt strange from a competitive standpoint. If there's a suitable criteria I could use for all of them without it being boring, I probably would.

I might skip out on making some basic lands, but yeah, making the full 100 was the plan. I agree that the red is pretty tenuous mechanically, but I think the second ability plays rather red. I'm not telling you the real reason I made it red until this is over.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:27 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Bloodstained Asylum
Land
: Add , or to your mana pool of an opponent's choice.
The desire to leave resides only in those who have yet to stay.

31.05.16: No longer targets.

Lilian wrote:

Last edited by Mown on Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Mown wrote:
Bloodstained Asylum
Land
: Add , or to your mana pool of target opponent's choice.
The desire to leave resides only in those who have yet to stay.

I don't like how someone can stifle this.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:23 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I could make it a mana ability, but my gut feeling told me it would be a bad idea. It might not actually be too big of a deal though.

Also, if you have any resources of urban myths, I'll take it. I'm trying to establish some form of overarching theme and mood.
It would be neat if I could weave a story through the flavor text of some of the cards, but nothing in particular comes to mind.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:51 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
making it a mana ability gives it the back-out problem, yeah. you could go the charmed pendant route but that's always ugly.

or you could just not make it because it's not super fun.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone (current episode: Swapping Sounds: The Art And Practice Of Chord Substitutions)
(and join our mailing list for free scans of all the episodes)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:10 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
making it a mana ability gives it the back-out problem, yeah. you could go the charmed pendant route but that's always ugly.

Is the back-out problem a huge deal in this case? The outcome in this case is deterministic. Making it a mana ability would speed up play by preventing reactions.
razorborne wrote:
or you could just not make it because it's not super fun.

Yeah but that still leaves room for it being slightly fun, which is more than most other mana lands can lay claim to. As long as the other players of a game don't find it too annoying (which there could be arguments for, but I think that the times where it doesn't matter can be shortcut, and the times where it does will feel meaningful enough), I have a lot more leniency with how the one playing the card itself feels, in that I only care to cater for myself.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

A Lonesome Night
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step, if they control exactly one creature, they sacrifice it.
When all by yourself, who can say it isn't real?

I'll be experimenting with how to word Curses until I find something that satisfies me. I don't want to have them all be "Curse of ___". I'll probably see if I can fetch a custom frame for them instead to make them stand out, but I still want some naming cohesion.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Ceaseless Visits
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
At the beginning of each player other than enchant player's upkeep, they put a 1/1 colorless Spirit with haste onto the battlefield. It attacks enchanted player this turn if able. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
Your house, dreams, or soul; never open the door for a lost one.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I feel like this is where I should post a not-that-innovative EDH-only card

Banishing Lightning
When Banishing Lightning enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Banishing Light leaves the battlefield. Banishing Lightning deals 3 damage to that permanent's controller.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:53 am 

Identity: Male
I'm not a huge fan of Mexev. If you have a curse, it's probably already on an opponent. Is there really that much to gain by swapping which opponent your curse is on? You're already building in some pretty niche space; you'll have to expand it considerably if you want this to work.

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:04 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Mown wrote:
razorborne wrote:

Is the back-out problem a huge deal in this case? The outcome in this case is deterministic. Making it a mana ability would speed up play by preventing reactions.

it's not about determinism. the problem is that I can try to cast lightning bolt, tap it for mana, you can say , and then suddenly I can't cast lightning bolt so the game rewinds until back before I started and I can try again. I believe this technically falls under the purview of the infinite-loop rule (it's a set of actions that reproduces an identical game state) so the responsibility breaking the impasse falls to the active player, meaning that when it's not my turn I can effectively use it to make whatever color I want. and even if I'm wrong there, the process is wildly unintuitive.

Mown wrote:
Yeah but that still leaves room for it being slightly fun, which is more than most other mana lands can lay claim to. As long as the other players of a game don't find it too annoying (which there could be arguments for, but I think that the times where it doesn't matter can be shortcut, and the times where it does will feel meaningful enough), I have a lot more leniency with how the one playing the card itself feels, in that I only care to cater for myself.
played as intended, there will be plenty of times where the choice requires hidden information that isn't available to the player and is thus effectively random. say turn one you play a plains, then turn two you play this and tap it. do you have a two-drop? a one? a one? there's really not enough information for me to make an informed guess. not even if I know your deck list, necessarily. it's effectively a coin flip, but whether or not I manage to randomly guess right can have a huge impact on the course of the game.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone (current episode: Swapping Sounds: The Art And Practice Of Chord Substitutions)
(and join our mailing list for free scans of all the episodes)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Mexev. If you have a curse, it's probably already on an opponent.

Well, I mean, yeah, the card incentivizes you to cast them on yourself.
TPmanW wrote:
Is there really that much to gain by swapping which opponent your curse is on? You're already building in some pretty niche space; you'll have to expand it considerably if you want this to work.

Diplomatic reasons, plus cards have different values in different contexts. You can cast Curse of Death's Hold to sweep someone's tokens, and then swap it later when someone attacks you to make more profitable blocks. You can swap Curse of Oblivion around as graveyards get depleted, Curse of Exhaustion depending on who is trying to combo off, or Curse of Shallow Graves to incentivize players to attack each other. You can also do the "EOT attach to myself, Upkeep attach to someone else" dance every other turn, but I might make the first ability only let you hit opponents to stop that very interaction.
razorborne wrote:
it's not about determinism. the problem is that I can try to cast lightning bolt, tap it for mana, you can say , and then suddenly I can't cast lightning bolt so the game rewinds until back before I started and I can try again. I believe this technically falls under the purview of the infinite-loop rule (it's a set of actions that reproduces an identical game state) so the responsibility breaking the impasse falls to the active player, meaning that when it's not my turn I can effectively use it to make whatever color I want. and even if I'm wrong there, the process is wildly unintuitive.

I assumed loops were resolved based on the player that first got the option to opt out of it (which it apparently isn't, and I could probably come up with a reason as to why if I thought about it.) It seems that you are right.
If I understand the rules correctly (717), you can't undo Deranged Assistant despite it being a mana ability, because it moves objects from a randomized zone. Is there a reason the rules shouldn't be extended to mana abilities that involve an opponent making a decision, or something to that effect? I feel like I might be missing something that means Charmed Pendant needs to have the timing clause, while assistant and millikin doesn't.

razorborne wrote:
played as intended, there will be plenty of times where the choice requires hidden information that isn't available to the player and is thus effectively random. say turn one you play a plains, then turn two you play this and tap it. do you have a two-drop? a one? a one? there's really not enough information for me to make an informed guess. not even if I know your deck list, necessarily. it's effectively a coin flip, but whether or not I manage to randomly guess right can have a huge impact on the course of the game.

Every game have decisions that result into "do they have it or not" without necessarily having a lot of information; Fact or Fiction piles, Gifts Ungiven, overextending or playing around Wrath/Pyroclasm/Languish, playing into removal or counterspells. Even if it does happen, is that a bad thing? "Add R, W or B at random" is far from a strong effect, so is giving your opponent the choice a problem? They can still make an informed decision based on what lands you have and basic color theory.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Curse of Phantasmagoria
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, that player reveals the top card of their library, then chooses a player. The chosen player puts the card onto the battlefield if it's a land. Otherwise, they cast it without paying its mana cost if able.
Wake up to your nightmares.

Not that this card is any example, but maybe I could try to make the flavor text into chants.
I should find some sort of other mechanical theme I could use for cards that aren't curses as well probably, and a keyword of sorts.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:21 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Festering Misfortune
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices a creature for each Curse enchanting them.
"Break away; before you leave them all broken."

'Enchanting' isn't proper terminology, but it should be.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Echoes of Bloodshed
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
Curses you control have "At the beginning of your upkeep, this permanent deals 1 damage to enchanted player."
A drop of scarlet, notched into the wall. Counting days, weeks, years, until the tapestry is submerged.

Could be black instead. We'll see what effects come to mind for a cycle.

Lilian wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Warden of Memories | :2::w::w:
Creature - Human Wizard

Vigilance
Once per turn, you may cast an enchantment card from your graveyard. That spell costs :x: less to cast where X is the number of enchantment cards in your graveyard.

2/3

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next