It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:00 pm 

I've got three Rare spells that I like for Code of the Sphinx, and only two remaining slots to put them in. What's a designer to do? I think I've mostly made up my mind, but I still want to get some feedback on all three. (Funny, I've been previewing a lot of cards lately that end up getting cut from the set or radically altered. That means I'm making progress, right?)

Crystal Faultline
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices three lands.
Crescendo — If you’ve cast another spell this turn, draw a card for each land you controlled that you sacrificed this way.

I don't really like land destruction, but it's a strategy that the game should have. Due to the themes of the set, Red gets card drawing pushed more than usual, but it means I need to take it in odd directions to avoid breaking color pie rules.

Shocking Grasp
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has trample.
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage to a player, that player discards all the cards in his or her hand, then draws that many cards.

This card came about from a desire to give Red some interesting Auras (the Aura theme is focused in White and Blue, but every color gets some) and nostalgia for a convoluted deck I once made based around Barbed Shocker. It's also designed so that the player can use it on themselves if they want to. Fun!

Believe It or Not
Instant
Look at the top five cards of your library. Take those five cards and the cards in your hand and separate them into two piles, one face down and one revealed. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put the chosen pile into your hand and put the other one into your graveyard.
Draw five cards, then separate the cards in your hand into two face-down piles and reveal one of them. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

After the discussion on the (now scrapped and reworked) Sphinx's Library I posted earlier, I decided to bring this concept back. It was originally a much more straightforward reversal of Fact or Fiction, but the extra "looting" aspect and the bluffing element have made it into its own weird thing.

Even without the space restrictions going on, all three of them seem to be playing around in similar design space, letting Red do interesting stuff with manipulating its resources, so it's probably for the best that not all of them get into the final product. Which one do you think should get cut?

Last edited by Fallingman on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm 

Identity: Unknown
Preferred Pronoun Set: ki/kin/kins/kingself
The last one feels more black than red. It kinds of play mind games with your opponents. But I don't know. Maybe it can work.
If you don't have land destruction I would keep the first one and the last one. Not the last two, and I like the last one more than the second one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:54 pm 

I don't feel like the first one would really be missed by anyone but the second one does not feel particularly rare to me, but maybe Barbed Shocker should not have been uncommon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

I'd give the Aura flash, just so you could actually use it on yourself. It is the least interesting card in there, in my view. Believe It or Not is a good spin on wheeling effects and is definitely the one that should stay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:01 pm 

i like this iteration of the fact or fiction too. very nice

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:53 pm 

Identity: Male
I don't like how Crystal Faultline gets some fancy 'draw 3' in monored.

I really like Believe It or Not!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

You don't have to say "land you controlled that you sacrificed this way." If you sacrificed it, you controlled it by default.

I'd probably print it "Crescendo - Each player sacrifices three lands. If you've cast another spell this turn, draw a card for each land you sacrificed this way."

I suppose you're worried that there's confusion between the group sacrificing and the benefit only counting your lands. I suppose that's reason enough to consider the longer wording, though I'm not sure it's necessary.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:18 pm 

Can't you just draw five cards, then split your hand into two piles and put one in your graveyard?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:56 pm 

Mata Hari wrote:
Can't you just draw five cards, then split your hand into two piles and put one in your graveyard?

Welllll, that's possible. The set has a lot of card-draw triggers though, and it seemed a little bit too easy? Looking at the cards in question, they're probably not that crazy with five triggers... You could attack with a 14/3 on turn five, or reanimate a 5 or 6 mana creature for 3 mana if you combo stuff just right.

Rules-wise though, it's probably a little weird to have a bunch of cards that are still technically in your hand or in your library all mixed together. Narcomoeba and Gaea's Blessing get a bit broken. I think I'll change it back.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:57 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Mata Hari wrote:

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:02 pm 

Believe It or Not reminds me of Dream or Despair. I love it.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul (Demo)
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:29 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Believe it or not makes me smile.

Get Spooked
Buy some flowers?
Cook gourmet food?
Sail the high seas?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:28 pm 

Believe It or Not reminds me of Dream or Despair. I love it.

The first NGAC mega cycle?
Believe It Or Not is the clear winner here. Crystal Faultline is alright and Shocking Grasp just doesn't seem worth it.

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:57 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'm not a fan of Faultline or Grasp. I agree that the world needs LD but I think the Wildfire root is the least fun way to go about it. Grasp... I don't know, the barbed shocker thing has always bored me and I can't really put my finger on why.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone (current episode: No, Music Theory Won't Ruin Your Personal Style)
(and join our mailing list for free scans of all the episodes)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Because playing a card that needs you to have bad cards is not a good strategy for deckbuilding.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:50 am 

Identity: Female
I don't know if believe it or not represents the kind of competitive play people look for in mtg. I can't imagine how the meta surrounding the guessing game will turn out, but I don't know if people like guessing games determining the outcome of their match.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
All of magic is a guessing game to figure out what your opponent is playing, what cards they hold, their next move, etc.

Get Spooked
Buy some flowers?
Cook gourmet food?
Sail the high seas?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 am 

Lilan wrote:
I don't know if believe it or not represents the kind of competitive play people look for in mtg. I can't imagine how the meta surrounding the guessing game will turn out, but I don't know if people like guessing games determining the outcome of their match.

One With Nothing doesn't represent the style of play most people look for in Magic, but it still got made. Personally, I'm a big fan of off-the-wall cards that "most" people wouldn't want to play.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:02 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Rumor wrote:
Lilan wrote:

One With Nothing doesn't represent the style of play most people look for in Magic, but it still got made. Personally, I'm a big fan of off-the-wall cards that "most" people wouldn't want to play.

the thing with OWN is that it's not strong, so people who don't want to play it don't have to. Believe It Or Not might be playable, and if it is, then whether or not it's a thing most people will want to play is relevant. I don't think it's that's bad, I think most people would be fine with it since it's not a coin flip, it's an intense series of bluffs, but comparing it to OWN is ignoring the actual issue.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone (current episode: No, Music Theory Won't Ruin Your Personal Style)
(and join our mailing list for free scans of all the episodes)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 am 

I don't think it's any more of a bluffing game than Blue's Fact or Fiction style cards are. It's just that the unknown cards happen to be on the board and available to remove, rather than in the person's hand still.

On a side note, I just noticed that it's an Instant. That feels odd. I don't think this is something you'd want to have people be able to play in the middle of combat.

Like this post