It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tricolor stuff...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:46 am 

Cards based off of other cards...

Cards I made myself...

Is this okay? I'll look for more cards that could be put into tricolor later on.

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Last edited by preadatordetector on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 am, edited 9 times in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Tricolor stuff...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:22 am 

Identity: Male
Brutal Fervor isn't really black, and I'm not sure why Kolghan Sadist has a 2brid symbol in the cost, but otherwise these are all fine cards. My favourites are Enduring Return and Ironfoot Gargantuan. Obese Dragon looks like a real beating.

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:43 am 

I just thought double strike is suitable to black mana as it is with red and white.

Meanwhile Kolaghan Sadist is easier to cast than Wrecking Ogre because that it doesn't have bloodrush.

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:26 am 

I like the gargantuan. Simple, but effective.

Jhessan Cavalry seems kinda boring. It's a powerful beater that can only be killed indirectly or through combat. Did White get Shroud? If not, what does it add?

Nah, Black doesn't get Double Strike. I mean, it did once, but that card required red to stay alive. And honestly Double Strike probably shouldn't be pushed into a tertiary color

Obese Dragon feels a bit too efficient.

Ew, mixing hybrids and normal looks really weird. Also, not sure where the Black is here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:53 am 

Re Enduring Return: Putting the +1/+1 counter on the creature after it's returned to the battlefield can cause the card to interact weirdly with cards that care about the power of the entering creature. (Where Ancients Tread is an example.) Current practice to to return the creature "with a +1/+1 counter on it" (see Young Wolf). The issue is fairly corner case-y, though. Do you care?

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.
Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013
"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:04 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
While I concede that black is the #3 color for FIRST strike, I thought the #3 DOUBLE strike color was green

Also, are you say that CDE is equal to 4C? Because I'm not sure that's the case.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:17 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

Black gets first strike on very rare occasions (either because it lets the card do something unique mechanically, or because it's flavored as a dark mirror of a white knight), but Green has never had double strike. There are a fair number of Gold cards with green in them that get double strike, but that's because both White and Red are its allies, and because double strike combines very well with Green's bigger creature sizes. You get things like Sangrite Surge, Marisi's Twinclaws or Rafiq of the Many where rather than contributing a keyword, green just contributes extra beefiness.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:15 pm 

I like the gargantuan. Simple, but effective.

Jhessan Cavalry seems kinda boring. It's a powerful beater that can only be killed indirectly or through combat. Did White get Shroud? If not, what does it add?

Nah, Black doesn't get Double Strike. I mean, it did once, but that card required red to stay alive. And honestly Double Strike probably shouldn't be pushed into a tertiary color

Obese Dragon feels a bit too efficient.

Ew, mixing hybrids and normal looks really weird. Also, not sure where the Black is here.

Jhessan Calavary is great with Exalted. Really, really great. With trample it's a murder machine. White does get shroud and hexproof, in fact being tertiary in the mechanic, but that doesn't say much.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... r=|%5BW%5D
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... r=|%5BW%5D
This does.

The double strike cards need red to work, so it fixes itself in the end.

While I concede that black is the #3 color for FIRST strike, I thought the #3 DOUBLE strike color was green

Also, are you say that CDE is equal to 4C? Because I'm not sure that's the case.

2C is equal to CD. Maintaining a 3 color deck is a lot harder than 2, so CDE can be equal to 4C or 2CD.

Also, I'd have to go with the above comment on this one.
Also double strike can be flavored as "this guy is so skilled at killing, he is prepared to kill his target even if they get through his first blow", which can look really good on, ahem, someone's "resume".

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:43 pm 

Black doesn't get double strike on the type of cards green does. There is ONE black creature with first strike...and it's one of the Ravnica creatures with the off-pie abilities that you have to pay an onpie color to keep.
While there are no monogreen cards with first strike, there are eight gold cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:11 pm 

Black doesn't get double strike on the type of cards green does. There is ONE black creature with first double strike...and it's one of the Ravnica creatures with the off-pie abilities that you have to pay an onpie color to keep.
While there are no monogreen cards with first strike, there are eight gold cards.

The difference is, they're gold cards. Gold cards can get effects from each of their colors that aren't normally found on their individual colors. A card can have trample, but it also can have hexproof and/or first strike. Blue can't gain life and white can't draw cards, but combined they make Sphinx's Revelation.

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:45 pm 

Basing them so directly off existing cards makes them solid but a little boring. Come on, try something wacky!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:46 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
The problem is that black doesn't add anything to those cards.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:01 pm 

Yeah, now that I look at them, Enduring Return is the only Black card here that is actually black. I guess Khans also had this problem some, but it still feels a bit lazy to just throw in a color and call it a day.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 pm 

Yeah, now that I look at them, Enduring Return is the only Black card here that is actually black. I guess Khans also had this problem some, but it still feels a bit lazy to just throw in a color and call it a day.

Yeah, Mardu was just Boros with black along for the ride.
They focused too much on the combat aspects of RWB and not enough on the destruction aspects.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:46 pm 

I made a thing.

Would you guys like to submit your own cards?

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am 

Temur Khanmage
Creature-Human Wizard (U)
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
: Draw a card
: Temur Khanmage deals 1 damage to target creature or player
2/2

Sultai Khanmage
Creature-Human Shaman (U)
, Exile target creature card from your graveyard: Put a 1/1 black Thrull creature token onto the battlefield
, Exile target land card from your graveyard: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn
, Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Tap target noncreature permanent
2/2

Riku's Reward
Instant (R)
Choose one:
  • Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
  • Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:05 pm 

Identity: girl
do you think blightsteel colossus could be printed at 7CMC if it was 2WURBG

I think that people who are like that are really deep. They have a sense of understanding things and are vague and quiet and mysterious you know? Like a cello. It plays depressing music (that's how I think of it) but it's so beautiful. It's a beautiful instrument and it's so. You know. Like really emotional. Yeah. Emotional is the word. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 am 

Riku's Reward is definitely worth its cost. A+
The Khanmages seem a little bit inconsistent. The Temur one taps while the Sultai one uses mana. Also, the Temur one seems to have a really powerful effect. Compare to Mercurial Chemister.
io wrote:
do you think blightsteel colossus could be printed at 7CMC if it was 2WURBG

Seems to me as something of a similar level.

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the love on Riku's Reward.

I feel like Mercurial Chemister's abilities do more than Temur Khanmage's. Drawing two instead of one, dealing probably 3-4 damage instead of one, etc.

Oh, and here's another:

Abzan Drain
Sorcery (U)
Target opponent loses life equal to the number of creatures you control and you gain life equal to the number of creatures you control.

For Abzan being Orzhov with green, there's not enough lifegain in Abzan.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the love on Riku's Reward.

I feel like Mercurial Chemister's abilities do more than Temur Khanmage's. Drawing two instead of one, dealing probably 3-4 damage instead of one, etc.

With an untap engine you can draw nearly infinite cards from this guy alone. Also, the blue effect is the strongest of the three, I suggest reworking it into scrying 1 or something.

Sultai Khanmage can change up his abilities. He's competing for graveyard space too, and he can tap lands. Ugh...

Oh, and here's another:

Abzan Drain
Sorcery (U)
Target opponent loses life equal to the number of creatures you control and you gain life equal to the number of creatures you control.

For Abzan being Orzhov with green, there's not enough lifegain in Abzan.

I agree with your sentiment. I'd like to see more of Azban's lifegain, regeneration and indestructible, unless we are talking about aggro or aggro-control. Then tokens en masse.
Oh, speaking of which...

Azban Necromancy
Sorcery
Each opponent scrys X, and you put X 1/1 black Spirit creature tokens onto the battlefield with flying.
X is equal to the number of creatures that died this turn.

(Rare)
(Mythic)

Like this post