It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karados Redux: Lifelink
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

LIFELINK

The lifelink clan is a tempo-oriented aggro deck. They care about getting damage through at any cost. Temporary measures of removing blockers are completely fine; racing is even better. All that incremental life gain makes them possibly the best clan in the set at sneaking through unfair wins.

Ghostly Reveler
Creature - Spirit (C)
Lifelink
Whenever Ghostly Reveler attacks, another target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn.
Centuries of war on Kamigawa had made the act an art in itself.
1/1

Fanged Brawler
Creature - Vampire Warrior (C)
Lifelink
Fanged Brawler can’t block.
“Don’t let them touch you,” Master Lao warned his pupils. “Allow such the battle is lost.”
2/2

Nacatl Spiritualist
Creature - Cat Mystic (C)
Lifelink
When Nacatl Spiritualist enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.
The spiritualists of Naya left for the tournament reluctantly, but ultimately knowing that competing was itself a form of protection for the pride.
2/2

Motivate
Instant (C)
Expertise — Target creature you control gets +3/+3 and gains lifelink until end of turn. Then if that creature has two or more instances of lifelink, each other creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
"Who's with me?"

Syphon Chakras
Sorcery (C)
Target creature you control gains lifelink until end of turn. It deals damage equal to its power to target opponent.
Unlocking one’s potential is but a matter of proper influence.

Card images

Karados themes and mechanics

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 pm 

Identity: Male
Lifelink seems incredibly annoying to play against in significant concentration. I think it would make more sense for this to be a grindy lifegain-focused deck, a la the M15 Ajani's Pridemate deck.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

It could be annoying, but I doubt it'll be more so than the life gain decks in BFZ. My tribe needs to get aggressive for the life gain to matter, and for the most part without evasion. BFZ negates your attempts to win and then users the life gain to trigger bigger, meaner finishers. You can't effectively race the lifelink deck, but I think that's fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:16 pm 

I feel like Ghostly Reveler is Uncommon. Lifelink is the least pushed (Besides Double Strike) evergreen at common so being able to throw it on any other creature with just attacking feels more uncommon then common.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:35 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
I've seen a couple of these threads and they've always made me wonder: How are you planning the clans to have creative cohesion on top of mechanical? Most evergreen keywords can be interpreted very broadly and it would be hard to get a faction that has bloodsucking Vampires, protective Spirits and religious Cats under the same banner. Even with the backstory you have, I find it very unlikely that the Nayan Nactl would ever join forces with Vampires.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:48 am 
YMtC Champ '12

I feel like Ghostly Reveler is Uncommon. Lifelink is the least pushed (Besides Double Strike) evergreen at common so being able to throw it on any other creature with just attacking feels more uncommon then common.

The set needs easy ways to gift keywords. Consider that this is a 1/1 creature that must attack to turn on its benefits. That means it'll be staring at bigger creatures a lot of the time, making the benefit harder to turn on while letting the spirit survive.

Yxoque wrote:
I've seen a couple of these threads and they've always made me wonder: How are you planning the clans to have creative cohesion on top of mechanical? Most evergreen keywords can be interpreted very broadly and it would be hard to get a faction that has bloodsucking Vampires, protective Spirits and religious Cats under the same banner. Even with the backstory you have, I find it very unlikely that the Nayan Nactl would ever join forces with Vampires.

I don't have any coherent plan to answer this other than "Planeswalkers constantly have different creatures fighting for their cause." I'm a planeswalker. I make a deck with 10 different races. All is well. Since it's planeswalkers doing the gathering, if feels similar enough to me.

Like this post