It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 am 

@Rumor Don't forget to critique/rate/whatever word you use the card above yours.

Sorry about that. Posted in haste. Edited it in on my original post. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:37 pm 

Identity: Female
@Cold Awareness: Kind of interesting as an anti-weenie strategy. The cost is somewhat prohibitive but it combos well with any sort of effect that taps down, and the limitation on how many times it can trigger per turn helps to prevent shenanigans. I like it. 8/10.

@Developing Outskirts: Yeah, that's broken beyond all reason. I get the flavor within the mechanic (It's Simcity after all) but honestly, this card is not printable. Super OP. 4/10.

@Code Red: I'm...not sure what this does. Seriously, what does it do? ?/10.

@Wary Manhunt: Okay, I get the first part. You're being pursued, so your on the defensive and can get the drop on them (first strike). When you do, you get to draw two cards and then...stuff. That second part is kind of a mess because, once again, what does it do? I still don't understand what a creature being dealt damage as if it were a planeswalker means. Were you aiming for a Rhox-like effect, where you can assign combat damage to a creature (like you can choose whether your attacking a planeswalker or a player?), because I still have no idea what's going on. 3.?/10, because I'm lost.

@Unstoppable: It's fine I guess. Kind of interesting, though you might have been able to just word it as, "Whenever a source deals damage to you". I'm not sure. Name could use some work. 7/10.

Æther Transmuter |
Creature - Bird Wizard (R)
Flying
Exile an instant or sorcery spell you control: Draw a card.
"Failure begets success."
2/2

Criteria: Design a card with more than one alternate casting cost.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:18 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

That bird is great. Balanced and powerful that rewards skill. I was going to nominate your Rebel Leader, but TP beat me to it. Now I think I'll nominate this one. 10/10.

Incite the Spirit
Instant (U)
You may discard a Mountain instead of pay Names mana cost. If you do, creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
You may discard a Plains instead of paying Names mana cost. If you do, creatures you control get +0/+1 until end of turn.
Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains indestructible until end of turn.

Criteria: Create an equipment is an equip cost other than a mana cost.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:12 pm 

@Echo_Robin the effect of Code Red and Vengeful Swarm is that unblocked creatures can directly damage other creatures instead of the opposing player. I chosen the ability as red because that it's more like creatures saying "forget the player, kill the goddamn ****!" more than anything else.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:06 pm 

Dudibus wrote:
Incite the Spirit
Instant (U)
You may discard a Mountain instead of pay Names mana cost. If you do, creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
You may discard a Plains instead of paying Names mana cost. If you do, creatures you control get +0/+1 until end of turn.
Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains indestructible until end of turn.

Criteria: Create an equipment is an equip cost other than a mana cost.

I don't think that Intice the Spirit is powerful enough for its mana cost. A free spell is surely useful but the plains option for the spell is undoubtedly weaker than the mountain option. Then again, it's strictly better than a Theros block card, but I don't know which one...

Crewman's Armament
Artifact - Equipment
Equip: Put the top 3 cards of your library into your graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put X +1/+1 counters onto equipped creature. WARNING! MATH!
x=6*(converted mana cost)-power-toughness-(number of abilities)
The ultimate tool for those who take the time to learn how to use and take care of it. Mostly out of necessity than anything else.

When critiquing this card, please tell me something I don't know. Like, "oh it's broken on Fugitive Wizard" or "oh that's too much math". I know it's a lot of math, that's why I added a little warning to my card.

Criteria: Make a card that creates land tokens. Said tokens have to produce mana.
Recommended minimum: 2*(: add to your mana pool.)

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 pm 

Crewman's Armament, is complicated. It does fulfill the requirement, but, apart from an interesting equip cost, the card is just a bit of a mess. The part that really hurts it is counting abilities, which can be confusing even in relatively simple cases. Also, why that equip cost, what is the flavor tie to the ability? I can get a vague feel for what you're aiming for, but the card's inelegance and complexity just make it hard to get anything out of it. For making me have to think about what it could be played on, 4/10.

Boundless Proliferation |
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nontoken land enters the battlefield under a player's control, each of that player's opponents puts a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that land.

Criteria: Design a card that recycles (interpret freely).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm 

Boundless Proliferation just seems weird. I really like it, but, it feels like it could probably break the game pretty easily. Although I guess if your opponent wants to stick with low amounts of mana they could just stop playing lands and try to use yours.

Scrapyard
[Land]
Whenever an artifact you control is destroyed, put a storage counter on Scrapyard.
: Add to your mana pool.
, remove X storage counters from scrapyard: Add X to your mana pool.

Criteria: Make a spell without Awaken that targets both a land and a nonland permanent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:56 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Scrapyard is fine. Printable, not powerful. Not the most exciting card, but thats hardly a criticism.

Back to the Stone Age
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target land and target artifact.

Already printed at a better cost in Vandalize.

Forge Reality
Sorcery (U)
Choose one or both ─
• Create a token copy of target land.
• Create a token copy of target artifact.

Criteria: Make a 1/1 creature with a converted mana cost of 6+.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:58 am 

Identity: Male
My first instinct turned out to be Godhead of Awe. Holding that up to a mirror gets you:

Evener Of Form
Creature - Shapeshifter Lord
Other creatures you control have vigilance, trample and base power and toughness 4/4.
1/1

Criteria: Make a land that can destroy something.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:39 am 

Interesting way to pump weenies. I kind of like it. 8/10.

Novesia, Nature's Fury
Legendary Land Creature - Forest God (M)
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green is less than ten, ~ isn't a creature.
Whenever ~ attacks, destroy target permanent. That permanent's controller puts a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
6/6

Criteria: Design a creature with at least three creature types.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:41 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Novesia is solid, fun and original despite rarely ever be devoted, but thats ok. 7/10.

Drooling Snaggleroot
Creature ─ Zombie Plant Ooze (R)
As an additional cost to cast Drooling Snaggleroot sacrifice any number of creatures.
When Drooling Snaggletooth enters the battlefield create X token copies of Drooling Snaggleroot where X is the number of creatures sacrificed to cast Drooling Snaggleroot.
Whenever a creature dies put a +1/+1 counter on Drooling Snaggleroot.
2/2

Criteria: Make a card involves card draw and life totals.

Ephemeron

Last edited by Dudibus on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:02 pm 

Ninja'd

Oh, I like this. I love me some sacrificing, and +1/+1 counters from other things dying, and zombie plants. Should probably say "When ~ etb, create...".

Howling Sprite
Creature - Faerie wizard
Flying
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player draws a card. Then. that player's life total becomes equal to the number of cards in his or her hand.
3/4

Criteria: Something that can be played with Quest For Ula's Temple.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:59 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Added ~etb as it was meant to be.

Howling Sprite is just too strong. I like it. It is a very interesting combination of abilities with lots of great interactions with black (discard, damage) and blue (card draw and...bounce?), so as a developer I say "Huzzah Good Sir!" However, from a balancing perspective, this card is crazy strong that likely says "Next turn your opponent loses." Not always of course. But often. Especially since your opponent gets their life total set first. 10/10 for great design. 1/10 for balance issues.

Emperor of the Twelve Seas
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a Kraken, a Leviathan, an Octopus and a Serpent, reveal them and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Proliferate
All will drown before my majesty.

Criteria: Make a card with a non-mana Fuse cost.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:15 pm 

Emperor of the Twelve Seas is fairly strong, but not the best pick for people running Quest for Ula's Temple. I'd put in scry creatures instead of that card. Much more effective, as it triggers Quest for Ula's Temple when drawn, and gets you those sea monsters more effectively. Augury Owl and Omenspeaker are solid blockers and gives a lot more bang for your buck.

Your criteria is impossible, but I'll try anyways.

Cave
Land - Cave
: Add to your mana pool.
//
Hillbilly
Creature - Human **** (Censorship? Not surprised.)
As an additional cost to cast ~, discard two cards and exile ten cards from your graveyard.
Trample, Buzzed (tapping this creature gives you an idiot counter)
3/3
--
Fuse

Criteria: make a blue card with trample and less than 4 CMC. (As in, not .)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:53 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Why is a non-mana Fuse cost impossible?

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:54 pm 

Um...? I don't really know how to react to this. Can permanents even have fuse? It seems like it would be a headache.

Wave Elemental |
[Creature - Elemental] (U)
Trample, Haste
Whenever you pay , you may have Wave Elemental get +1/-1 until end of turn
Wave Elemental does not untap during your untap step unless you pay
0/8

Criteria: Make a card that causes an opponent to draw cards, gain life, or put tokens onto the battlefield (your choice).

Also, Dudibus, it's because Fuse doesn't have a cost of it's own, it just sums the costs of the two halves of the card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:43 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Oh right...What was I thinking of? Entwine?

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm 

@Dudibus Probably, it does seem to be close to Entwine and it actually does have a cost. Also, do you think Howling Sprite might be better if I went with my original idea for it and instead it was "At the beginning of each upkeep, each player draws a card. Then, each player's life becomes equal to the number of cards in his or her hand." I changed it because a trigger at the beginning of each upkeep felt excessive, but it might help with the balance.

Wave Elemental - Blue haste? What? 'Whenever you pay U' feels weird. And I feel like new players might be confused if it triggered every time you paid a cost with a U, or only if it required a U. Why not just give this "U: ~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn." This card feels overly complicated for its own good.

Hunted Elemental
Creature - Elemental
First Strike
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent puts three 1/1 blue Faerie creature tokens with Flying onto the battlefield.
3/3

Criteria: Okay, make a card with a nonmana Entwine cost.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:30 am 

Hunted Elemental seems fine. It's very fast, and it can handle the tokens that it creates, but 3 power worth of flying creatures is harder to block than a single 3/3 creature with first strike.

Guttural Uprising
Sorcery
Choose one —
  • Target player puts five 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
  • Each permanent deals 1 damage to its controller.
Entwine — Surrender a permanent you control to an opponent. (Choose a permanent you control. An opponent of your choice gains control of that permanent.)

New criterion: Design a card with timing restrictions. (Can only be cast during upkeep, or end phase, etc.)

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 am 

That's pretty neat, definitely an interesting use of red's donate mechanic. There's also a nice tension between the two effects. That said, this is extremely powerful. For five mana you could potentially (assuming your opponent went first, made all their land drops, and controls no other permanents, for some reason) hit an opponent for upwards of 11 damage (most efficient Fireball ever), and that's just with them having five lands and nothing else. I love surrender as a mechanic and the card is interesting, but "each permanent" seems a bit much. Maybe just each creature? 7/10, for power reasons.

Ancestral Transcendence |
Instant (R)
Cast ~ only during your upkeep.
Draw three cards, then end the turn. (Exile all spells and abilities on the stack, including this card. Discard down to your maximum hand size. Damage wears off, and "this turn" and "until end of turn" effects end.)

Criteria: Design a card that has somewhere on it.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next