It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 pm 

Oh dear, that mana is terrible. Trying to run Phoenix with only 3 mountain and 3 Wilds (especially as you also need double white and blue) is way more trouble that it's worth.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Oh dear, that mana is terrible. Trying to run Phoenix with only 3 mountain and 3 Wilds (especially as you also need double white and blue) is way more trouble that it's worth.

I was thinking the same but believe it or don't four games four wins and it feels pretty smooth. Normally and any old timer here can tell you I never run more than three fixers. I upped Wilds by one to try and guarantee the splash more consistently. I've not seen the Phoenix yet but I've had two mountains out in all four games just in case.
It's actually running really smooth and I'm having fun with it. Could use a little more tinkering when I hit a couple rare wildcards I can use.
Edit: I probably should mess with my mana a bit.
Edit edit: Noticed this morning that I hadn't added the fourth Wilds. Did that, added another Mountain and took away an Island. I did something else to tune it but I'm out at work now and can't remember what I did. All I know is that it's not the tribal bs everyone is running around with. If I could somehow come up with an enchantment that gives all my creatures Vigilance I'd have a smoking deck. White does have those. I'm just hoping there's something like that in these blocks I can eventually get.

Now with absolutely no new content and cash bar only please!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/
Shakey Deal Audio Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDealAudio1/

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm 

Refusing to be a part of the masses as normal I've still been flying Azorius around. It's very satisfying to play and actually wins quite a bit. Mind you this is working with what I got although I did wildcard a couple Siren Reaver's in there finally. I've been wanting to build a pure Siren Tribal from day one but I don't think it's feasible.
My question is: Do I have a good creature/non-creature ratio? I thing I'm about spot on but end up second guessing quite a bit when my deck "clumps". I have had a decent share of clump games where it seems like one game I get nothing but creatures and completely miss my Favorable Winds and Canceling cards.
As you can see from the power stats on my early drops I'm pretty dependent on at least one Winds showing up.
Are there any UW tutors I'm just somehow not seeing that I can sub into my deck?
Yondar, you are of course correct and the economy sucks balls. I've done my share of complaining also. I've yet to make a Rare wildcard and this deck begs for another Glacial Fortress.
Like I said it is fun. It's flying and that's all I want. I know there are a couple of spells that can give flying but I don't want to be dependent on drawing them. An exercise in Theme Purity this is.
Still, it needs some tutoring.

Favorable Wins
2 x Kinjalli's Sunwing
8 x Plains
2 x Exultant Skymarcher
3 x Skyblade of the Legion
2 x Opt
12 x Island
4 x Favorable Winds
2 x Siren Stormtamer
3 x Spell Pierce
4 x Cancel
3 x Lookout's Dispersal
3 x Siren Lookout
2 x Imperial Aerosaur
2 x Settle the Wreckage
2 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Ixalan's Binding
2 x Siren Reaver
1 x Azor, the Lawbringer

:evil:

I've got a UB version of flyers. It's beastly. Went on an 8 game tear this morning with it, running over Dinos 3x in a row. I can't brew the same Azorius version you have because of my card pool. I'll post the deck later, once I'm at home. I'm always trying to craft Esper as it's my favorite archtype. I wonder if there's an Esper brew in here somewhere. Tough to build tri-color without all of the check lands, but might be possible.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Esper is probably doable as a mid-range deck, but with such crappy mana options, I'd strong recommend picking an order. e.g. plan on playing a white source, then a black source, then a blue source in that order - build your mana bases accordingly - and only include cards which are consistent with the expected order of play. Even then Esper decks will be comparably slow, IMO.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm 

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
Where are my uncommon wildcards?

The time for rage quits has come! I'm starting to see lots of people scooting T3 because their slow draws can't handle my pirates.
1-drops
4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Rigging Runner
4 x Grasping Scoundrel
2 x Daring Buccaneer

2-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Captain
1 x Dire Fleet Poisoner
1 x Fathom Fleet Captain
2 x Kitesail Freebooter
3 x Goblin Trailblazer

3-drops
3 x Ruin Raider
2 x Captain Lannery Storm

4-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Neckbreaker

Removal
4 x Lightning Strike
1 x Vraska's Contempt
2 x Moment of Craving

Utility
2 x March of the Drowned

Just for fun
1 x The Immortal Sun

Lands
8 x Mountain
2 x Dragonskull Summit
8 x Swamp
2 x Unclaimed Territory

Still needs a bunch of stuff, but I just destroyed a dino deck completely and it was so satisfying. I hand 6 creatures out by T3... He played monstrosaur just to block, then I killed it with a deathtouch buccaneer. Soooooooooooooo good...

I'm playing pretty close to this as my main deck now. Ideally I think I'd like 4 Fathom Fleet Captains, 2 Forerunners, 3 Ruin Raiders and 2 Neckbreakers, but right now I'm at 2/0/2/1. March of the Drowned continues to be a serious power card, and Poisoner is probably worth running as a 2 of.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:55 pm 

March of the Drowned, I keep forgetting about that card. It's pretty good in general, would be even better if there were a way - without committing heavily to the concept - to put a bunch of cards in the GY. Are there any decent self-milling cards in UB that either go with the Pirate theme, or simply do it incidentally during the course of normal play?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:56 pm 

There's Rowdy Crew, though it's a crap shoot.

Sword Point Diplomacy unfortunately removes from game, but that's also a legit aggro mid game card. I'm running one, and even when it gets you a couple land and burns for three that's still two dead draws bypassed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:44 pm 

Fun flying around the place and kicking ass when no one else is doing it eh Baliz?
That looks like a fun deck also. Even though it's got nice power especially under a Winds or two I really got turned off to Dreamcaller Siren and removed them all. Twice I Flashed them out to block. My bad I know but it seemed intuitive with the Flash to me for some reason. Making that same mistake twice was enough for me to part with them. I did a good replacement with the Phoenixs'
Good call on March of the Drowned Nomad. When I built a solid B deck that card seemed a no brainer period. With or without Pirates that, of course, are in there anyway.

There still might be room to improve on my mana base and I most definitely can't wait to be able to squeeze a few more Rares in there with Wildcards I am not far away from getting I hope.
This is it as it stands and it stands pretty strong. Getting ready to play it now.

Aviary
2 x Kinjalli's Sunwing
8 x Plains
2 x Exultant Skymarcher
2 x Skyblade of the Legion
8 x Island
4 x Favorable Winds
2 x Siren Stormtamer
3 x Cancel
3 x Lookout's Dispersal
2 x Siren Lookout
2 x Imperial Aerosaur
2 x Settle the Wreckage
4 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Ixalan's Binding
2 x Siren Reaver
1 x Azor, the Lawbringer
2 x Curious Obsession
2 x Sky Terror
2 x Rekindling Phoenix
4 x Mountain

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
March of the Drowned, I keep forgetting about that card. It's pretty good in general, would be even better if there were a way - without committing heavily to the concept - to put a bunch of cards in the GY. Are there any decent self-milling cards in UB that either go with the Pirate theme, or simply do it incidentally during the course of normal play?

Tomb Robber sounds like massive self-mill and I got two of them, still the card looks weak in the meta and my pirate pool sucks, so I don’t play it. If any of y’all have any success with it, please share.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
Where are my uncommon wildcards?

The time for rage quits has come! I'm starting to see lots of people scooting T3 because their slow draws can't handle my pirates.
1-drops
4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Rigging Runner
4 x Grasping Scoundrel
2 x Daring Buccaneer

2-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Captain
1 x Dire Fleet Poisoner
1 x Fathom Fleet Captain
2 x Kitesail Freebooter
3 x Goblin Trailblazer

3-drops
3 x Ruin Raider

4-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Neckbreaker

Removal
4 x Lightning Strike
1 x Vraska's Contempt
2 x Moment of Craving

Utility
2 x March of the Drowned

Just for fun
1 x The Immortal Sun

Lands
8 x Mountain
2 x Dragonskull Summit
8 x Swamp
2 x Unclaimed Territory

Still needs a bunch of stuff, but I just destroyed a dino deck completely and it was so satisfying. I hand 6 creatures out by T3... He played monstrosaur just to block, then I killed it with a deathtouch buccaneer. Soooooooooooooo good...

I'm playing pretty close to this as my main deck now. Ideally I think I'd like 4 Fathom Fleet Captains, 2 Forerunners, 3 Ruin Raiders and 2 Neckbreakers, but right now I'm at 2/0/2/1. March of the Drowned continues to be a serious power card, and Poisoner is probably worth running as a 2 of.

Current list looks like this:

1-drops
4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Rigging Runner
3 x Grasping Scoundrel
4 x Daring Buccaneer

2-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Captain
1 x Dire Fleet Poisoner
1 x Fathom Fleet Captain

3-drops
3 x Ruin Raider

4-drops
1 x Dire Fleet Neckbreaker

Removal
4 x Lightning Strike
1 x Vraska's Contempt
3 x Skulduggery
3 x Fiery Cannonade

Utility
2 x March of the Drowned

Finish him!
1 x Gruesome Fate

Big bad Planeswalker
1 x Angrath, the Flame-Chained

Lands
7 x Mountain
2 x Dragonskull Summit
7 x Swamp
2 x Unclaimed Territory
2 x Cinder Barrens

Biggest change is skulduggery which has been awesome. I decided I really needed 1cc removal and this has been brutal for killing drovers and deeproot elites, not to mention that its a pretty good combat trick. Against other pirate decks canonade is a dead card, but its vital against vamps and merfolks, especially early. Otherwise, the deck is just ultrafast.
Cinderbarrens are placeholders for more dragonskull sumits, which I can live with because of all the 1-drops, because color-screw wrecks the deck.

In other news, I've also been having fun with this pile as a change of pace:

Creatures
3 x Siren Stormtamer
1 x Daring Saboteur
2 x Storm Fleet Aerialist
2 x Kitesail Freebooter
2 x Gleaming Barrier
1 x Dire Fleet Poisoner
1 x Ruin Raider
2 x Ravenous Chupacabra
2 x Hostage Taker
2 x Deadeye Plunderers

Spells
2 x Chart a Course
4 x Siren's Ruse
2 x March of the Drowned
2 x Moment of Craving
2 x Walk the Plank
1 x Vraska's Contempt

Enchantments
1 x Search for Azcanta
1 x Revel in Riches
1 x Arguel's Blood Fast

Artifacts
1 x Pirate's Cutlass
1 x The Immortal Sun
2 x Treasure Map

Land
2 x Submerged Boneyard
10 x Island
9 x Swamp
1 x Drowned Catacomb

It's a blink deck that uses hostage takers and chupacabras multiple times with the ruses or march of the drowned if they get killed. Also is a revel-treasure deck that can make some huge Plunderers. This one isn't quite there yet and needs an overhaul but has won quite often anyway. Lots of fun.

Last edited by Haven_pt on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:57 pm 

Yondar wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

Tomb Robber sounds like massive self-mill and I got two of them, still the card looks weak in the meta and my pirate pool sucks, so I don’t play it. If any of y’all have any success with it, please share.

That card would be better in a reanimator deck, but honestly as a 3 drop it might come down too late. I do like that the effect is instant speed though. Limits your opponent's ability to respond, since most GY hard is at sorcery speed. EoT discard the card you intend to reanimate (or multiple depending on the situation), filter your top deck a bit, possibly grow Tomb Robber, and then untap, draw, cast the reanimation spell.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm 

Just got to bring out Azor, the Lawbringer for the second time. He is quite fun, especially with a Favorable Winds on the board. Wish I could post screenshots but I can't. Game won me a Mythic Wildcard!
Whoop!
I'm saving them up for Polyraptor's. Have two so far but am not cracking them yet. Close enough to wait and see what this vault thing does.

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 pm 

Brewed up Sultai flyers deck. It's pretty fun too. My UB version was a bit redundant with mostly flyers plus One With the Wind, so I splashed red for Swashbuckling, Lightning Strike, and Angrath, the Flame-Chained. Not perfect. Fun deck though. Tri-color is super sketchy, especially when you look at my lands :( Wish I had more available. I tried splashing white for the +2/+2 Lifelink enchant, but it's 4 mana, so not really cost effective.

3 x Favorable Winds
9 x Island
2 x One With the Wind
2 x Siren Stormtamer
4 x Kitesail Corsair
2 x Storm Fleet Aerialist
3 x Siren Lookout
1 x Dreamcaller Siren
2 x Soul of the Rapids
4 x Swamp
2 x Drowned Catacomb
2 x Field of Ruin
2 x Evolving Wilds
4 x Lightning Strike
3 x Swashbuckling
1 x Angrath, the Flame-Chained
4 x Mountain
1 x Dragonskull Summit
2 x Hostage Taker
2 x March of the Drowned
2 x Kitesail Freebooter
2 x Vraska's Contempt
1 x Twilight Prophet

Suggestions welcome, but I think this is about the best I can do with my current card mix. Wish I had more Hostage Taker. Those things crack games right open.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:30 pm 

I think I said before that I need to build a Dimir with Hostage Taker.
Still think I should.
Getting sick of it tonight. All Dinos and Merfolk.... bleh.

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:59 pm 

Yeah, it's been nothing but Merfolk for me today too. Such an irritating deck to play against. Unless I'm way ahead, I pretty much just scoop it when I see them drop the "All other merfolk get +1/+1" or that Legendary 3 drop.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 am 

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am 

Happy birthday Devil!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 am 

So with the extra cards this morning, I was able to hobble together a reasonable Esper deck. I've only played a few matches with it so far, but it's gone 4-1 so far, twice vs dinos.

3 x Ravenous Chupacabra
2 x Hostage Taker
3 x Kitesail Freebooter
4 x Ixalan's Binding
3 x Lookout's Dispersal
2 x Cancel
1 x Spell Swindle
1 x Entrancing Melody
1 x Golden Demise
2 x Vraska's Contempt
2 x Settle the Wreckage
3 x Sanguine Sacrament
1 x Primal Amulet
1 x Arch of Orazca
1 x Nezahal, Primal Tide
1 x Tetzimoc, Primal Death
2 x Twilight Prophet
1 x Search for Azcanta
1 x Arguel's Blood Fast

6 x Swamp
7 x Island
4 x Plains
2 x Evolving Wilds
2 x Field of Ruin
2 x Drowned Catacomb
2 x Glacial Fortress

This seems to have a good mix of removal/counters, plus some great combo breakers, with enough win-cons. Don't have a huge sample size with it yet, and I'm sure I'll run into trouble with merfolk and BR pirates, as usual, but what deck doesn't. At least it's a playable Esper deck. I'll try to fill it out with more Search for Azcanta and Golden Demise.

Question...should I make room for Opt or Ritual of Rejuvenation? If so, what's the cut?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next