It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm 

I cashed in wild cards for full play sets of Daring Buccaneer, Lightning Strike, Bravado & Trailblazer, added a Phoenix too just to try it. Still need a couple Rigging Runners but then I'll have this close to where I want it. Currently running 3 Brutes & 3 Ferocidon and trying one of Cutlass, Flagship and Vanquisher's Banner to see what feels best.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:42 pm 

I don't think the Banner fits. I've tried it in a couple of other tribal decks and it didn't impress me, but I just pulled an immortal Sun and can't wait to just goofily throw it into some deck where it doesn't belong and reap the benefits... Anyway, can't stress how good Lannery Storm is if your running 4 or 5 drops, she'll just get you there a turn earlier. Also, T3 Storm into Rigging Runner is great if you happen to get a slow start.
Flagship is a good call, I might try it for 1 of the stampedes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:27 pm 

I'm not sure if Flagship is worth it or not. Limited play so far, and I've yet to crew it. Is it worth a 3 drop slot just for a weak anthem?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 pm 

Can't let you guys turn this into an aggro fest. Here's Orzhov control I'm having fun with now:

Tetz the Profane aka "f-k the dinos"

4 Luminous Bonds -- the format lacks cheap removal for big things that just punch your face. this is decent, but it rules out Vona's Hunger. still thinking if we can do better here
1 Slaughter the Strong -- a new addition, never got to play once yet, but supposedly good:)
4 Ixalan's Binding -- a staple, no comment
3 Settle the Wreckage -- same
2 Duress -- check the removal situation before playing a finisher
4 Moment of Craving -- awesome vs tribal aggro, destroys early mana dorks vs dinos
2 Walk the Plank -- precarious in this merfolk-rich meta, probably getting replaced with Vraska's Contempts as I get more
1 Golden Demise -- aggro hate, probably need more, but I didn't have a problem with aggro decks I ran into so far
2 Reaver Ambush
1 Recover -- get back tetz, probably should be replaced with a straight up Tetz
3 Vanquish the Weak -- getting replaced with Reaver Ambushes and Vraska's Contempts as I get more
1 Vraska's Contempt -- gimme more
2 Tetzimoc, Primal Death -- hi!
2 Profane Procession -- this card is so awesome, it just breaks the will of dino players. nobody runs Thrashing Brontodon now, but I see that changing as people learn to respect their profane overlords
1 Vona, Butcher of Magan - this is a meh finisher, usually dies immediately vs black or red decks, but good in other match-ups. I think I'll replace it with another Tetz when I get one
1 Thaumatic Compass -- this is a good all-around control card, and especially awesome with Settle. Wish I had one or two more.
1 Treasure Map -- Tetz loves this card, those treasure tokens often let you mark the targets and Tetz the same turn
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
8 Plains
11 Swamp

Notable Omissions:
Vona's Hunger -- horrible nonbo with Lumionous Bonds

Because of the lack of blue, the finishers are pretty vulnerable. Zetalpa, Primal Dawn could probably work better, but I don't have her yet. Then again, a Procession of profane dinos helps too, so Zetalpa is not really needed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 pm 

Man, control takes such a grind to get all those rares.

Seems likes some combo of Chupacabra and Baffling End might best replace the Luminous Bonds, especially as you get more Slaughter/Hunger.

Another fun use for Craving: Shrink Tetzi to escape Slaughter.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 pm 

I’m not sure I want the Hunger more than I want the Bonds. Luminous Bonds has an interesting interaction with the Profane Procession. After you drop the procession, the game often turns into a staring match. If you have enough removal in hand, you want to crack the procession and attack, but you need 3 creatures and the opponent isn’t playing any. That’s where the Bonded creatures come in handy.

Baffling end? Nah man. I already got lots of removal for the small stuff. Chupa is good , but messes up the curve a bit. I’d rather have Contempts in that slot, because haste.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Refusing to be a part of the masses as normal I've still been flying Azorius around. It's very satisfying to play and actually wins quite a bit. Mind you this is working with what I got although I did wildcard a couple Siren Reaver's in there finally. I've been wanting to build a pure Siren Tribal from day one but I don't think it's feasible.
My question is: Do I have a good creature/non-creature ratio? I thing I'm about spot on but end up second guessing quite a bit when my deck "clumps". I have had a decent share of clump games where it seems like one game I get nothing but creatures and completely miss my Favorable Winds and Canceling cards.
As you can see from the power stats on my early drops I'm pretty dependent on at least one Winds showing up.
Are there any UW tutors I'm just somehow not seeing that I can sub into my deck?
Yondar, you are of course correct and the economy sucks balls. I've done my share of complaining also. I've yet to make a Rare wildcard and this deck begs for another Glacial Fortress.
Like I said it is fun. It's flying and that's all I want. I know there are a couple of spells that can give flying but I don't want to be dependent on drawing them. An exercise in Theme Purity this is.
Still, it needs some tutoring.

Favorable Wins
2 x Kinjalli's Sunwing
8 x Plains
2 x Exultant Skymarcher
3 x Skyblade of the Legion
2 x Opt
12 x Island
4 x Favorable Winds
2 x Siren Stormtamer
3 x Spell Pierce
4 x Cancel
3 x Lookout's Dispersal
3 x Siren Lookout
2 x Imperial Aerosaur
2 x Settle the Wreckage
2 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Glacial Fortress
2 x Ixalan's Binding
2 x Siren Reaver
1 x Azor, the Lawbringer

:evil:

Now with absolutely no new content and cash bar only please!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/
Shakey Deal Audio Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDealAudio1/

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:54 pm 

That seems made for Curious Obsession. I'd run as many as you have, swapping out Opts to start with.

It's also a lot of 1 power guys. Is Kitesail Freebooter flying enough to sub in for Skyblade? Or maybe a pack of Obsessions would balance that out anyway.

It's also lots of Counters, wonder if Expel from Orazca might be nice over a couple of those cancels.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:20 pm 

Where are my uncommon wildcards?

The time for rage quits has come! I'm starting to see lots of people scooting T3 because their slow draws can't handle my pirates.
1-drops
4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Rigging Runner
4 x Grasping Scoundrel
2 x Daring Buccaneer

2-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Captain
1 x Dire Fleet Poisoner
1 x Fathom Fleet Captain
2 x Kitesail Freebooter
3 x Goblin Trailblazer

3-drops
3 x Ruin Raider
2 x Captain Lannery Storm

4-drops
2 x Dire Fleet Neckbreaker

Removal
4 x Lightning Strike
1 x Vraska's Contempt
2 x Moment of Craving

Utility
2 x March of the Drowned

Just for fun
1 x The Immortal Sun

Lands
8 x Mountain
2 x Dragonskull Summit
8 x Swamp
2 x Unclaimed Territory

Still needs a bunch of stuff, but I just destroyed a dino deck completely and it was so satisfying. I hand 6 creatures out by T3... He played monstrosaur just to block, then I killed it with a deathtouch buccaneer. Soooooooooooooo good...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:46 pm 

Thoughts on Dire Fleet Captain? And do you ever get to 6 mana for Immortal Sun?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm 

That seems made for Curious Obsession. I'd run as many as you have, swapping out Opts to start with.

It's also a lot of 1 power guys. Is Kitesail Freebooter flying enough to sub in for Skyblade? Or maybe a pack of Obsessions would balance that out anyway.

It's also lots of Counters, wonder if Expel from Orazca might be nice over a couple of those cancels.

Great ideas. I'd been thinking of those same changes.
Edit: Unfortunately it took me my two remaining uncommon wildcards to get two Curious. Really don't want to splash black for only one card that's an early out.

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Last edited by thedevilwuster on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:14 pm 

You get full gold for scoops? If so, that should factor into deck design for optimal grinding

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:28 pm 

Actually no. That's the fun... I almost got there once, but Lannery ate a bolt and I didn't top-deck Land. I just want to play the damn card once. I should run it in my mono-red, I keep flooding and get to 6 mana nearly every game...

Dire Fleet Captain needs a lot of friends. Problem is, for him to get big, his friends may have to die and when he runs out of friends, he's just another bear...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:59 pm 

Edit: Unfortunately it took me my two remaining uncommon wildcards to get two Curious. Really don't want to splash black for only one card that's an early out.

My bad, totally meant Kitesail Corsair. Or Storm Fleet Aerialist, though I think without more 1 and 2 drops I might prefer the assurance of 2 power regardless of raid triggers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:

Actually no. That's the fun... I almost got there once, but Lannery ate a bolt and I didn't top-deck Land. I just want to play the damn card once. I should run it in my mono-red, I keep flooding and get to 6 mana nearly every game...

Dire Fleet Captain needs a lot of friends. Problem is, for him to get big, his friends may have to die and when he runs out of friends, he's just another bear...

That was kind of my thinking on the captain. Is the downside to Wanted Scoundrels enough that they aren't straight up better?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:46 am 

Haven_pt wrote:

That was kind of my thinking on the captain. Is the downside to Wanted Scoundrels enough that they aren't straight up better?

Wanted Scoundrels is a blow-out card. Its drop this T2 and pray. If he's packing removal, it's T4 carnage tyrant time (or similar above-the-curve play), if he's got no removal? He's up sh@t Creeping without a paddle.

Lightning Strike is just too popular... If you can give the Scoundrels a bigger butt, with an aura or something...

Sideboard card against Merfolk? Take out walk the plank and replace with these?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 am 

Wanted Scoundrels is pretty bad vs dinos, always gets stomped or lightning striked on the spot. Somewhat decent vs merfolk, but I'd rather hold removal turn 2 vs fish.
All other archetypes are irrelevant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 am 

My bad, totally meant Kitesail Corsair. Or Storm Fleet Aerialist, though I think without more 1 and 2 drops I might prefer the assurance of 2 power regardless of raid triggers.

I will admit I wanted Curious from the beginning but the sac aspect kept me away but I got the chance to play out a couple last night (I did trade them with Opt) and they performed brilliantly. I really do want to get Expel in there in place of Pierce. With the ramping I've seen in the past couple days Spell Pierce has basically been neutered. Waiting on some more wildcard spots or a lucky pack opening or two. Lookout's Dispersal is close to being neutered with said ramp also but not yet. Some of my best games find me holding one and a Cancel and not having to use up the Cancel yet because of the OP's tapped mana.

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 am 

I'd probably run Negate or Dive Down over Spell Pierce too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm 

Shakey Deal Facebook
Shakey Deal Audio Page

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next