It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [RIX-ICD] Vona's Hunger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:47 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 am 

Looks like this is what became of the "Edge" mechanic after Conspiricy 2 took the original. I like that if you ascend with this it is very strong against an opponent that was close to being able to ascend. Do you think vampire token decks can get to 10 permanents or is this for a more controlling deck that stalls until it has close to 10 mana sources?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:05 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I like that every color has some sort of token generation to help them ascend. Blue, black, and red all have Treasure. White's good at making small creature tokens, and it looks like green is getting small token generation as well, with the return of Saprolings.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm 

Identity: Male
I'm disappointed they tied the terminology in with the set so titley. I'd have prefered "Advantage", "Ascended", "Blessed", "Crowned", or many other terms that start with the other 23 letters of the alphabet. The only other place "city's blessing" would work is Ravnica.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm 

It can still be used pretty easily in Ravnica (City of Guilds), Theros (Polis), or Amonkhet (Hekma), but admittedly, it still is constrained in that way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:34 am 

Identity: male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
How good is this, really? I guess it depends on the other benefits you get by ascending. On this one, it's nice, but often it's a single threat you can't answer that kills you in Limited, and it doesn't work against that. And without Ascend, it's probably quite bad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm 

This doesn't seem to be designed for limited. It might be okay in constructed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:40 am 

Agreed. Seems like a trap for the less experienced drafters.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:43 am 

This is just fine for limited. Limited often breaks down into a board stall - wiping out half your opponent’s force (even if it is the weaker half) breaks up a board stall quick. It would seldom be an early play, but if for some reason your opponent voltronned up a single threat...

We also don’t know what the entire benefit of the City’s Blessing is. If there are creatures at common or uncommon that get buffs based on whether or not you have the City’s Blessing, that sways how generally useful all the Ascend cards are in limited.

From what we know now:
Non ascend mode: bad for limited. To The Slaughter was limited-bad and this, in base mode, is worse.
Ascend mode - fine for limited builds that seem likely to get into Boardclog.
Unknown - how much relevance Ascend mode has beyond just the cards that have Ascend (is City’s blessing used by non ascend cards?)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Do we know if there's only one city's blessing, or can every player have the city's blessing?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Do we know if there's only one city's blessing, or can every player have the city's blessing?

I don’t have a link on hand, but someone official said that it’s not exclusive. If you ascend and then your opponent ascends, you both have the city’s blessing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 am 

I know multiple people can get the same entity's blessings, but it's a little weird to see it happen to opponents- especially since the story is about them fighting for control of the city.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm 

I like that the Black card is all about Ascending and making everyone else farther from doing so.

RPG characters

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 am 

TPmanW wrote:
I know multiple people can get the same entity's blessings, but it's a little weird to see it happen to opponents- especially since the story is about them fighting for control of the city.

The city doesn't care who gets to ascend. It's like a church: as long as you observe the right rites, you get the blessing. The more blessed, the merrier. And then, the fittest one gets the Immortal Sun. They need to fight for that, as that's a reward only one can hold at a time.

Like this post