It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
LilyStorm wrote:
Also is this a girl? I hope so

Based on the artistic trend that men always have flesh-colored lips, I would say that Spike is female.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 pm 

I think it's supposed to be ambiguous because of Mark's statements on trying to gender balance the demographics and spike being very neutral. But they definitely look more feminine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm 

Identity: Keldon
Preferred Pronoun Set: Keldon
felbatista wrote:
I love the use of Phyrexian mana here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 pm 

Lacks an Adam's apple. I don't think it's meant to be ambiguous

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm 

There's is full art of her posted in the same spoiler. It's not very ambiguous. She looks like a normal person and not an overtly sexualized female, which is why it's harder for some people to tell the difference.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 pm 

Okay I'll admit that the Adam's apple thing means you're likely right but "not an overtly sexualized female". Dude, Azure, what audience do you think this is? It's not Duke Nukem. People can tell Huatli and Lavinia, fully armored and not sexualized women, are women. You sound like a pretentious redditor.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm 

Okay I'll admit that the Adam's apple thing means you're likely right but "not an overtly sexualized female". Dude, Azure, what audience do you think this is? It's not Duke Nukem. People can tell Huatli and Lavinia, fully armored and not sexualized women, are women. You sound like a pretentious redditor.

Oh come on, everybody knows that if you can tell a character has boobs she's been overtly sexualized. :roll:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 am 

Reasonably androgynous I would say. And almost certain not accidentally so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 am 

Edacade wrote:
astarael7 wrote:
Banned cards appear on the list of banned cards for relevant format. You will not find any Un-cards on any of those lists.

Tournament Rules, excerpt from Section 3.3 Authorized Cards wrote:
Players may use any Authorized Game Cards from Magic: The Gathering expansions, core sets, special sets,
supplements, and promotional printings. Authorized Game Cards are cards that, unaltered, meet the following
conditions:
• The card is genuine and published by Wizards of the Coast
• The card has a standard Magic back, is a double-faced card, or is a card that is part of a meld pair.
• The card does not have squared corners.
• The card has non-silver borders or no structured border.
• The card is not a token card.
• The card is not damaged or modified in a way that might make it marked.
• The card is otherwise legal for the tournament as defined by the format.

Any other cards that are not Authorized Game Cards are prohibited in all sanctioned tournaments.

ban 2, verb: to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of

If you can replace any given term with another given term and the sentence retains the same meaning, then those terms clearly mean the same thing.

"Any other cards that are not Authorized Game Cards are prohibited in all sanctioned tournaments."
"Any other cards that are not Authorized Game Cards are banned in all sanctioned tournaments."
"Any other cards that are not Authorized Game Cards are not legal in all sanctioned tournaments."

No change to the meaning of the sentence. Prohibited cards are banned cards. Not legal cards are banned cards. Illegal cards are banned cards.

By your logic, all cards are fair game. Cards not printed in Odyssey block are not legal in Odyssey block constructed, and so on. Clearly that is not the intent of the card.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 am 

Everybody knows "block constructed" doesn't exist. :roll:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Edacade wrote:
If you can replace any given term with another given term and the sentence retains the same meaning, then those terms clearly mean the same thing.
in the context of magic wording, this is inaccurate. I can replace "the hawk flies" with "the hawk soars", but a card with Soaring couldn't block a wind drake. in order for the cards to work, words have to have clearly defined meanings, and "banned" in this context most likely means "on the list of banned cards". we'll need confirmation from the Rules FAQ when it comes out but until then, arguing english semantics is valueless in a realm that is not governed by standard english rules.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I guess we wait for the "official" rulings. But i hope I can bring in pokemon and yugioh cards.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am 

Here's some full art goodness:

LilyStorm wrote:
I guess we wait for the "official" rulings. But i hope I can bring in pokemon and yugioh cards.

The short answer is no.

Quote:
archonsandtaters asked:
Can I use Spike, Tournament Grinder to use a card that has been banned in a different card game, and then play that with the help of Fist of Suns?

markrosewater said:
No, just Magic cards. Sorry.

Technically, she can't even get any given banned Magic card.
Quote:
psycojosho asked:
Can Spike, Tournament Grinder get ante cards?

markrosewater said:
Ante no longer exists, so they aren’t usable

But she can get cards that are not currently banned.
Quote:
macgyvercas asked:
Does Spike have to get cards that are currently banned, or cards that have been banned at one point but may or may not be currently banned?

markrosewater said:
Ever banned. Kird Ape is good to go.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am 

Identity: male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
MaRo did not say that it can't get Ante cards, just that the cards, if they got it, would not do anything.

And that art is definitely ambigous on purpose.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm 

razorborne wrote:
Edacade wrote:
in the context of magic wording, this is inaccurate. I can replace "the hawk flies" with "the hawk soars", but a card with Soaring couldn't block a wind drake. in order for the cards to work, words have to have clearly defined meanings, and "banned" in this context most likely means "on the list of banned cards". we'll need confirmation from the Rules FAQ when it comes out but until then, arguing english semantics is valueless in a realm that is not governed by standard english rules.

Comp Rules wrote:
608.2c The controller of the spell or ability follows its instructions in the order written. However,
replacement effects may modify these actions. In some cases, later text on the card may modify
the meaning of earlier text (for example, “Destroy target creature. It can’t be regenerated” or
“Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner’s library
instead of into its owner’s graveyard.”) Don’t just apply effects step by step without thinking in
these cases—read the whole text and apply the rules of English to the text.

701.1. Most actions described in a card’s rules text use the standard English definitions of the verbs
within
, but some specialized verbs are used whose meanings may not be clear. These “keywords”
are game terms; sometimes reminder text summarizes their meanings.

"Banned" and "restricted" are not game terms.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Edacade wrote:
"Banned" and "restricted" are not game terms.

they're defined in the tournament floor rules. that official WotC document includes definitive and complete lists of the set of cards that are banned or restricted in every official format. for instance:

Quote:
The following cards are banned in Standard tournaments:
  • Aetherworks Marvel
  • Felidar Guardian
  • Smuggler’s Copter

note that that list doesn't include, say, mahamoti djinn, a card that you are not allowed to play in Standard tournaments but which is not, by WotC's official definition, "banned".

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm 

So unless they reprint ponder or something this still doesn't do anything in Un-draft.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:58 pm 

Zenbitz wrote:
So unless they reprint ponder or something this still doesn't do anything in Un-draft.
It doesn't just pull a card banned from the format you are playing in. You can be drafting and use its ability to grab a card from your trade binder that is banned in Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, etc....

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
AzureShade wrote:
Zenbitz wrote:
It doesn't just pull a card banned from the format you are playing in. You can be drafting and use its ability to grab a card from your trade binder that is banned in Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, etc....

MaRo confirms this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
0By your logic, all cards are fair game. Cards not printed in Odyssey block are not legal in Odyssey block constructed, and so on. Clearly that is not the intent of the card.
This is a much better argument than the one I was advancing. Ichorid is not legal in Modern. But no one would call it banned in Modern.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post