It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:23 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Trouble in Red Larch


Red Larch is a town on the Long Road, a few days’ travel north of Waterdeep and a few days’ travel south of Triboar. It’s a way stop for caravans coming to or from the cities of the North, with an inn named the Swinging Sword, a tavern called the Helm at Highsun, and many craftspeople who cater to travelers.


Image

(locations will become known as you explore the area)


Red Larch has been an important stop on the Long Road for two centuries now. Named for a distinctive stand of red larch trees that were cut down when the hamlet was founded, Red Larch became a settlement in the first place thanks to a drinkable spring that fed a sizable pond ideal for watering horses, oxen, and pack mules. An east-west trail meets the Long Road at the pond, running west to the logging community of Kheldell and east to Bargewright Inn and eventually Secomber. Another trail leads to quarries in the Sumber Hills and to ruins of stone keeps long ago left to monsters and outlaws (the Haunted Keeps). In recent years, new quarries have been opened on the northwestern edge of town. So far these have yielded up great slabs of marble much prized in Waterdeep for facing large new buildings and repairing older edifices. Red Larch is also a center for stonecutters quarrying slate on the fringes of the Sumber Hills.



The six heroes have arrive in Red Larch, and are now standing at the center of the town at the intersection of The Long Road, and where Kheldell Path and The Cairn Road all split off.


~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 8647
Location: Brazil
After completing his reconnaissance flight of the area, Kitar notices the party standing at the crossroads and starts descending in circles. He lands with grace, but makes sure he throws a little dirt on Hexion. He pretends that it was on accident and that he didn't notice, but a little mocking expression shows up in his face while he straightens the feathers on his head. He turns into a more serious look before turning to the Aasimar. "Ugh. This place is loathsome. Why we came here again Luka?"

Perception

_________________
Yes, I'm from Brazil and no, I'm not an annoying ****.

RPG characters


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:33 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Kitar


~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:11 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 7305
Location: England
As the group comes to a stop at the crossroads Iados plants the staff of his glaive in the ground, leaning heavily on the weapon while he scans the stores and buildings surrounding them. While he awaits the aarakocra's return he whiles away his time glowering at any peasant whose eyes linger too long and making sure none of the groups more troublesome members begin to get bored and wander off at random. Which wouldn't be the first time either.

The birdmans return and subsequent complaints elicits a long, drawn-out sigh from the paladin. "Do you happen to have somewhere more important to be, magpie? This isn't difficult; we rest, we resupply, we learn what we can and we continue onwards."

_________________
Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 28, 2013
Posts: 3141
As the five unfitting companions reached the center of town, Hexion glanced about the town for some source of excitement, but was disappointed to find nothing of more interest than the houses that lined the town's streets. He was going to continue entertaining himself by badgering Iados, when the sixth member of the group, an aarakocra, who had been trailing behind them from above, landed close by him, getting some dust on Hexion despite the obvious ease with which the bird-man had landed. Hexion shot Kitar, who had nonchalantly began grooming himself, though he did little to hide his smug smirk, what seemed like a look of disapproval, but his expression quickly turned into one of playful smile as he motioned unintelligibly towards the bird-man, then undid his cloak to dust it. He dusted the cloak once, twice, and on the third time, the cloak suddenly turned from its dark hue into a white cloak. Satisfied, Hexion redressed himself before tuning in to the banter.

"Oh, but there surely are more important place to be," quipped Hexion. "We've just yet to find where that is. But I would not loath to quickly be on our way; I see little in this place more excitable than the road out of it."

checks

_________________
Characters:
Hexion


Last edited by storyteller on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:18 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
The mid-day sun is beating down on you all as you stand in the center of the town. The streets are spotted with commoners who are traveling between establishments and their homes. Most seem to avoid crossing directly by you six, though they aren't going far out of their way to do so. A chill breeze passes through, and you notice most people are wearing some kind of cloak or cold weather gear.


Hexion


~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:48 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 11, 2015
Posts: 197
Identity: Meowvelous
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/she/they/red fish/super kami guru
Luka idly fidgeted with her violin as the group surveyed the town. After giving it a quick once-over herself, she considers whether wandering off would be dramatically appropriate. Before she can give it any serious consideration, her Avian companion returns, causing a stir in the party.
"Come now, Iados, I know you're cultivating a whole look here, but no need to be so curt." she teased. "Besides, this place serves a very important purpose, it..."
Luka trailed off as she drew a blank. Suddenly she remembered some of the much older members of her troupe speaking of some sort of bardic knowledge, which she was fairly certain she didn't have the ability to tap into, but figured there was no harm in trying. Probably.
RPJesus rolled 1d20 and got a total of 8:
8


"Ah yes, it slipped my mind for a moment. This place was named after the trees it was built on, and they have a quarry, and if that doesn't scream 'earth,' then I don't know what does. We need to see if we can find any leads on the Earth Temple, which rumor has contains a legendary bow said to be able to split the eye of even the most colossal of beasts."

She paused, deciding for the moment that it might be best to leave the bardic knowledge to her elders, before adding "or what Iados said. That's also a fine choice."

Perception check

_________________
D&D Charries
Princess of the Apocalypse: Luka


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:15 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 7305
Location: England
Iados arcs an eyebrow (or what's left of one) as Luka's words spill forth. He stands silent as she finishes and remain silent for a moment thereafter waiting the next part of her grand scheme. When it becomes apparent there isn't one forthcoming he simply raises a clawed hand to his face and slowly shakes his head. "That is probably the vaguest hunch you have ever had to lead us with - and need I remind you you have led us on some exceptionally vague hunches before." It would seem it was once again up to him to ensure his... companions didn't go hungry in the street chasing dreams.

Turning from the others he storms towards the nearest villager, face twisted in what was for him an approximation of what a smile should look like and growled out a few words. "You. We need an inn. I assume your village can provide as such? Directions would be appreciated."

_________________
Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:48 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Posts: 26
Dev had himself propped up against as tree as he watched his companions bicker with one another. As the last came in by air he got himself off and moved to the group standing with them, his hands resting on the back of his head as the paladin barked about uninteresting things only to head off towards a villager. He quickly turned himself back to the group, more specifically the bard. "A legendary bow you say? Why couldn't it be a legendary sword that can cleave a dragon in one sweep, or an axe used to chop the heads off of a god, that would be much more interesting.". As he spoke his head turned to the paladin, listening to his very direct words and Dev himself couldn't help but cringe slightly to the 'politeness' the red skinned offered.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:17 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
Luka


Iados marches over to an older human male with a wide brimmed hat and dusty brown clothing. Upon Iados' questioning, the man visibly begins to shake and stammers out, "Th-the Swinging Sword is what you want!" The man points two buildings North on the West side of The Long Road. His arm shaking as he gives the directions, he takes off a pouch from his hip and dumps its contents on the ground, coins clanking as they hit. "P-please don't kill me!" the man cries as he runs off down The Cairn Road, as quickly as his legs will take him.

There seem to be five copper and two silver pieces on the ground.


(the Swinging Sword is labled 2 on the map)


~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:39 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Posts: 26
Dev raises his hands and then promptly brings them together after the frightened man departs, making a large clapping sound before announcing to the small group. "Good show red, quite the interrogator you are. Alright well now that we know where to go I say we all hurry forth and get to the inn before Red decides to scare another poor citizen out of his pocket money." Dev gave a quick grin to the rest of the group, placing himself between them and Iados. Soon after He'd quickly make his way towards the inn, with or without the group behind him, figuring it would at least be a meeting point for them.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 7305
Location: England
"What? I'm not going to kill..." Iados' words trail of as the man tosses his coin at him and takes off down the main road. The tiefling can only shake his head and sigh, before bending down and recovering the discarded coin. Pointedly ignoring Dev's attempts at humour he returns to the others. "...what? You heard the man. The Swinging Swords."

_________________
Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 11, 2015
Posts: 197
Identity: Meowvelous
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/she/they/red fish/super kami guru
Luka watched Iados approach the stranger, then turned to respond to Dev. "True, but it's also said there are enchanted arrows of flame and ice for it somewhere in the world. Which I think would give it a certain appeal."

Luka turned again as Iados returned. Swinging Swords, eh? Sounds like a place ripe with adventure, I'll see if I can get us some rooms." she replied as she briskly made her way to the Swinging Swords to see about getting a few rooms in exchange for a musical performance.

_________________
D&D Charries
Princess of the Apocalypse: Luka


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 8647
Location: Brazil
Kitar considered ingnoring Iados response, but ultimately decided it was yet another opportunity to mock the tiefling, and that was worth having to respond him. "Are you tired already, Iados? I'm sorry. I forget sometimes how low lifeforms like you have to use your feet to travel, and how terrible of a fate that is."

Feeling satisfied with his answer, Kitar hears Luka's story only paying half attention. The mention of a legendary bow is what keeps his mind in the conversation. "What makes the bow, Luka..." He grabs his bow and makes the mention of firing an imaginary arrow. "Is the bowman."

He then observes Iados' complete lack of social skills and Dev's rush to the inn. "Congratulations, Iados. You can scare and old simpleton. Let's hope you can do that to actual threats too. As for the inn, it's a little early to call it for the day, don't you think? I would like to take a closer look around this place before we go. I saw a rather suspicious half-orc in the middle of a field not far from here. Might give some clues about this temple you're talking about, Luka." He says to the aasimar, trying to hide any secret desire he has of finding, and killing, Earth Cultists.

_________________
Yes, I'm from Brazil and no, I'm not an annoying ****.

RPG characters


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11310
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
One door north of the Allfaiths Shrine stands the Swinging Sword. The inn is a three-story stone structure, crowned by a steep slate roof that bristles with many chimneys. A signboard juts out over the door, hanging from chains. It’s a ten-foot-long carved wooden scimitar emblazoned with the inn’s name in red paint on both sides. Upon entry, you'll notice a fairly large dining room off to the side where three men and one woman are sitting having drinks, discussing something among themselves.

As Dev and Luka enter, they are greeted by a female Illuskan human who appears to be in her early forties. She appears to have been moving past the front doors when you arrived, and stops in her tracks to attend to you. She smiles widely as the two walk in and says, "Welcome to the Swinging Sword. Will it just be you two lovers spending the evening?" You'll notice a female and a male human as well, probably from Tethyrian based on appearances, who are dressed as workers of the Inn.


~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 30, 2013
Posts: 7305
Location: England
Like Dev before him, Kitar's insults are met with little response from the paladin, beyond a cold glare. Though he would like nothing more then to put the bird and the braggart in their place their skills still proved useful - if only they could remain silent when out of battle their presence would be better tolerated.

It seems despite his best efforts the party had already began breaking away to chase their own whims. Dev and Luka were already making their way towards the Swinging Sword while the bird seemed intent on following through with his desire to chase down and harass the locals. Lacking the power - or the will - to attempt to corral the entire group he simply waves dismissively towards the bird and makes towards the inn. "Do whatever you feel you must bird. Just try to keep out of trouble. I will not be held responsible for your actions. Again." He takes a few more steps down the road before glancing back over his shoulder, sighing, and returning to the crossroads. He stands arms crossed in front of Hexion, a deep frown set across his features. "I presume you already have a course chosen at random you will follow? I shall accompany you."

_________________
Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:35 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Posts: 26
Dev looked onward, looking back to see only luka who would be following him (currently). He didn't really pay it much mind to the other, figuring they would all get together before the night ended, he slowed slightly down to meet the pace of the female bard, only to be greeted at the entrance. Taking a quick response to it Dev would reach around and place his arm around the pink haired woman beside him and then quickly raising his other hand up. "I wish, but we have four children that will probably soon be entering, a Tiefling, a birdman, a half elf and another human should all be wandering in here at one point or another." (RPjesus should be in bed by now so that'll do it for me until tomorrow night foos)


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:28 am 
Offline
YMtC Champ '05

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4667
Obed starts. His mind had drifted, floating along a stray current. The midday sunlight breaks through the fog of thought and Obed looks about. He sees his fellows heading toward the inn and he calls out, "Friends! Good thinking! A drink to wash the dust from our throats and loosen the tongues of the locals!"

_________________
White Autumn, Red Spring
OC|IC|Map|Jin Map|Combat Map

Iron Skies
IC|OC|Map|Tracker


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:19 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 28, 2013
Posts: 3141
"Oh, what I would do without you to liven up my day, Red," Hexion chuckled quietly as the man unfortunate enough to be at the end of Iados's "interrogation" ran for his life.

Soon there after, two of the group moved towards the inn, the location of which was just discovered thanks to Iados, and third was about to follow. Among the remaining, Iados made no move to join the inn group, but instead, asked Hexion what he was planning on doing.

"Why, I didn't know you enjoyed my company so much," laughed Hexion, clapping Iados on his shoulders. "Well, since it looks like Luka is going to take care of getting us rooms, might as well take a walk around this town, however lackluster it may be." Hexion looked North and South, East and West, but eventually settled on South. "Since the inn's that way, let's go the other way. But, oh, let's make it quick. I wouldn't want to miss Luka's show!"

_________________
Characters:
Hexion


Last edited by storyteller on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 11, 2015
Posts: 197
Identity: Meowvelous
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/she/they/red fish/super kami guru
Luka gestured toward Kitar as she was walking away. "Sounds like fun, I'll join you for that if you wanna wait a few minutes for me to get our rooms booked."
Entering the inn, Luka paused for a moment as Dev grabbed her, deciding it would be funnier to play along.
"Yes, we're a travelling troupe of performers looking for lodgings for at least tonight. In exchange for say, three rooms, I'd be more than happy to provide my services as a musician later tonight, and on subsequent nights as well should we stay longer than anticipated."

_________________
D&D Charries
Princess of the Apocalypse: Luka


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group