It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:13 am 

Identity: Male
Crocodiles are an easy fit for and . They just don't go into like "Lizard" does.

Brentain wrote:
How do people feel about squirrelfolk?

Like, I see it as basically ratfolk in :g:, but since the nezumi got the "rat" creature type, does that make them a level removed from a theoretical squirrelfolk?

After spending far too much time on El Goonish Shive (at TPmanW's suggestion), I approve heartily.
Spoiler

I did a good!
I need to recommend more webcomics actually. I was narrowing down a list of my favourite examples when Narbonic migrated websites :(
I'm fine with squirrel folk. I'd give the edge to ferret folk though. They have better alliteration. Also those homelands ferrets were real cute.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:38 pm 

Identity: Human
Ok, cool.

EDIT: Another question: would crocodile people be viashino? Even if they were more green-oriented, as many non-intelligent specimens?

Or I'm better off coming up with another term, like naga for the snake-kin?

I mean, it's not like it hasnt been done before...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:37 pm 

Question 1: While drakes, dragons, and wurms all have very specific creature types associated with them, and wyverns seem to generally be "large drakes", how do people feel about the older wyrm moniker? I know this article about the subject mentions that the term has more connotations with the traditional dragons of D&D, and I've seen somewhere that Magic avoids it to avoid confusion between wurms and wyrms, but how do people around here feel about it?

Question 2: How do people feel about saying "x turns of the seasons" instead of "x years old", at least in the context of a rural, agrarian society?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:14 pm 

Question 1: While drakes, dragons, and wurms all have very specific creature types associated with them, and wyverns seem to generally be "large drakes", how do people feel about the older wyrm moniker? I know this article about the subject mentions that the term has more connotations with the traditional dragons of D&D, and I've seen somewhere that Magic avoids it to avoid confusion between wurms and wyrms, but how do people around here feel about it?

I can see people's objections to its similarities to "wurm," but I personally don't think it's a big deal. Magic stories are primarily read, with a few notable exceptions, so the distinction should be readily apparent, and context should also take care of the problem.

Plus which, I have fond memories of the term being used in the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit, referring to "that old wyrm Smaug."

So yeah, I'm fine with it.

Question 2: How do people feel about saying "x turns of the seasons" instead of "x years old", at least in the context of a rural, agrarian society?

I like it, though "turns of the seasons" is a bit of a mouthful. But I do really like the idea of giving age in seasons.

Plus, it's four birthdays a year!

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 pm 

I like it, though "turns of the seasons" is a bit of a mouthful. But I do really like the idea of giving age in seasons.

Yeah, it makes total sense to me that people in that sort of culture would track time that way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:44 pm 

Yeah, it makes total sense to me that people in that sort of culture would track time that way.

The only real hiccup to it is that you have to establish a sense of time scale. If not, then seasons will be assumed to an earth standard when, for example, Innistrad only has three seasons. So there are issues in actually establishing a comparable time in a larger sense. Because someone that is 21 seasons old could be anything without a sense of the season in question.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 pm 

So, does that mean people associate "wyrm" specifically with dragons (as in the six-limbed creatures that represent red's iconic in Magic)?

Barinellos wrote:
The only real hiccup to it is that you have to establish a sense of time scale. If not, then seasons will be assumed to an earth standard when, for example, Innistrad only has three seasons. So there are issues in actually establishing a comparable time in a larger sense. Because someone that is 21 seasons old could be anything without a sense of the season in question.

That's why I specified "turns of the seasons", rather than just the word "seasons". Even in the case of Innistrad's 3-season year, if you measure from the end of one season through the other two seasons up to the end of the same season as it passes again (I don't know Innistrad's seasons), that would be a year. If you're niggling over the result of three Innistraddi seasons equaling less (or more) time than four seasons on, say, Dominaria, then your issue is no longer with the phrase "turn of the seasons" and it's about the difference in time flow between planes.

To get a little more specific, I have a rural agrarian village in a kind of tropical Indian climate: it has the dry season and the wet season, and the average inhabitant only needs to know roughly how far along the seasons are, and lets the religious leaders (priests, monks, whatever) keep track of the actual days of the year.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm 

So, does that mean people associate "wyrm" specifically with dragons (as in the six-limbed creatures that represent red's iconic in Magic)?

I mean, it's a pretty 1-1 sort of thing. I'm pretty sure wyrm is associated with Bolas as one of the many titles he bears.
Of course, of note, Magic has largely replaced the term 'wyrm' in connotation with 'hellkite' but I see no objectionable reasons to preclude the use of wyrm.

Quote:
That's why I specified "turns of the seasons", rather than just the word "seasons". Even in the case of Innistrad's 3-season year, if you measure from the end of one season through the other two seasons up to the end of the same season as it passes again (I don't know Innistrad's seasons), that would be a year. If you're niggling over the result of three Innistraddi seasons equaling less (or more) time than four seasons on, say, Dominaria, then your issue is no longer with the phrase "turn of the seasons" and it's about the difference in time flow between planes.

More how time is structured than how it passes.
Someone who ages a Dominarian year wouldn't be the same as someone who aged a Ravnican year. Time passes the same on every world unless someone damaged the structure of spacetime (which, let's be honest, has happened before)

Quote:
To get a little more specific, I have a rural agrarian village in a kind of tropical Indian climate: it has the dry season and the wet season, and the average inhabitant only needs to know roughly how far along the seasons are, and lets the religious leaders (priests, monks, whatever) keep track of the actual days of the year.

I mean, that all sounds fine, particularly if there's not going to be any instance where it will ever come into contention.
The completist in me would still like to know how long each season is, but it's not a requirement for the narrative aspect.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 pm 

Speaking personally, I tend to associate the term with any large draconic creature. I see no reason that the term couldn't be used on some planes as a catch-all for any flying reptile, or be used to denote a specific breed or type. I don't see either one as a problem.

Yeah, I think it's fine and flavorful for a character from a place like this, when asked their age, to respond with "I've lived for sixty turns of the seasons," or something like that.

Works for me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 am 

I'm screwing around with a world and I'm curious to know...
how BADLY would it get under your collective skins if the world only had 4 primary races instead of the expected 5?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 am 

Barinellos wrote:
how BADLY would it get under your collective skins if the world only had 4 primary races instead of the expected 5?

When was five expected? I rarely work with a solid five races, even if I do try to fill out the color wheel, more or less. Six is the more common number, I would think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:59 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Barinellos wrote:

as long as you did a Lorwyn-like thing where they were sort of spread out across the colors reasonably, I don't see a problem. if you're like not giving one color access to primary races, though, that might be weird unless you had a good reason.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 pm 

When was five expected? I rarely work with a solid five races, even if I do try to fill out the color wheel, more or less. Six is the more common number, I would think.
As MaRo likes to say, the human brain doesn't like it when it sees what it perceives as an incomplete cycle.

razorborne wrote:
as long as you did a Lorwyn-like thing where they were sort of spread out across the colors reasonably, I don't see a problem. if you're like not giving one color access to primary races, though, that might be weird unless you had a good reason.

:duel:

Yeah, there's no good nonhuman options for white in the setting I'm putting together. And Black is getting one of its options coopted for the setting.
Which means it kinda looks like Humans as and the only multicolor among the primary races.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 pm 

It's weird, I swear I responded to this. Maybe I didn't hit submit. Long day, apparently.

Anyway, I pretty much never hold to the five primary races thing. The main reason MTG does this is to facilitate card design, but if you're not planning to make cards, just stories, there's pretty much no reason TO make five primary races, let alone any problem with not doing it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 pm 

Anyway, I pretty much never hold to the five primary races thing. The main reason MTG does this is to facilitate card design, but if you're not planning to make cards, just stories, there's pretty much no reason TO make five primary races, let alone any problem with not doing it.

<Scruffy> Second. </Scruffy>

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:41 am 

Related to the earlier question, how do people feel about the slith and the possibility of repurposing the creature type?
Do you feel they MUST be five color?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
Related to the earlier question, how do people feel about the slith and the possibility of repurposing the creature type?

Their characterization is so thin that I wonder what repurposing would look like on them; it may be better to keep them multicolored, but if the setting is right they may turned to monocolored too I think.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 pm 

I've only ever had one slith myself, so I've never even known what they were other than immune to lava. About the only opinion I have is that if you include them, you need to include an explanation as to just what are these (intelligent?) humanoid things and where they live et cetera et cetera.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 pm 

My favorite was always Slith Ascendant. I loved equipping that thing with a Fireshrieker and watch it tear up the air.

I have no problem with Slith not being in all five colors, as long as they make sense in whichever color they settle in. I'd probably put them in red/green, and maybe blue, depending on how you flavor the ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I don't see any reason why they'd have to be. Infinite planes, infinite possibilities, and all that. If it makes sense, internally, with whatever world you're crafting, just run with it.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next