It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The world of - Virtzom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 am 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Virtzom is a world which has large oceans, each one littered with sunken artifacts. Planeswalkers that travel here would quickly find themselves extremely de-powered, with all their abilities aside from planeswalking suppressed.

Most magic in this plane can only be done through a set of eight artifacts, scattered throughout the world. Each artifact holds different kinds of powers, and Planeswalkers would notice that some artifacts would simply not let them use their powers as they please. Each artifact has limitations. To surpass these limitations they drain the user of their energy or expose them to dangerous amounts of it. Some people died from using a power that isn't what the artifact was designed for, causing a severe and fatal reaction.

These artifacts are called the Soclar Fragments. When someone has all eight Soclar Fragments, they are completely unstoppable.

The eight soclar fragments abilities are as follows:
Fragment of Speed (Instants)
Fragment of Power (Sorceries)
Fragment of Flesh (Creatures)
Fragment of Steel (Artifacts)
Fragment of Earth (Land)
Fragment of Chaos (Planeswalkers, also cheap stuff)
Fragment of Order (Enchantments)
Fragment of Bonds (Tribal, also attachments)

Each fragment cannot be destroyed.

Many factions are invested into reverse-engineering the Soclar Fragments, and mostly have failed or caused many natural disasters. The island nation of Scarwater is wracked with thunderstorms because of early experimentation in this field.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
The planes! They keep coming! :D

Jokes aside, most of my comments will be about things you'd probably have explained in your own time, I'm just pointing out what a reader like myself would like to know about.

Planeswalkers that travel here would quickly find themselves extremely de-powered, with all their abilities aside from planeswalking suppressed.

Do you have something against plaswalkers? #NotAllWalkers are bad, right, Raiker? Shifter? :shifty:

Judging by your next sentence, it doesn't seem a specific limitation, since "most magic" is affected, so this first paragraph can be either redundant or misleading. Also, is the "most" part going to a plot point?

Quote:
Fragment of Earth (Land)
Fragment of Chaos (Planeswalkers)

1. Since they're "Fragments" I'm guessing there will be some account of them being the pieces of a single legendary artifact.
2. Do they affect magical items, as Whispersilk Cloaks, or magic-ed creatures?
3. It seems that each of those Fragments allows you to cast a type of card. Problem is, casting lands means connecting with them, not moving them around or doing some other kind of awesome thing. Unless the majority of the lands can be animated, it seems to me that the Fragment of Earth can do little on its own. Do the Fragments also allow you to cast the cards that interact with those types? In which case, are there overlaps (like, Tooth and Nail being both a Sorcery and Creature magic)?
4. Tribal has a very weak autonomous identity, so the Land issue returns. Also, what does "attachment" means? Does its power affect, like, the bonding of magical equipment and Auras?

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm 

The planes! They keep coming! :D

Jokes aside, most of my comments will be about things you'd probably have explained in your own time, I'm just pointing out what a reader like myself would like to know about.

Planeswalkers that travel here would quickly find themselves extremely de-powered, with all their abilities aside from planeswalking suppressed.

Do you have something against plaswalkers? #NotAllWalkers are bad, right, Raiker? Shifter? :shifty:

Judging by your next sentence, it doesn't seem a specific limitation, since "most magic" is affected, so this first paragraph can be either redundant or misleading. Also, is the "most" part going to a plot point?

My anti-planeswalker stance when designing planes comes from my fondness for non-MtG games where there's additional challenges. I kind of wanted to make a "hard mode" for planeswalker characters to deal with. This is also part of the Hokia-Picaeru shard, which I'm tempted to just call the Hokian Shard considering that Hokia holds the primary faction that would be trying to keep this area protected.

The statement of how planeswalkers would be affected by the plane's magic is simply about how most planeswalkers would react to entering the place. If they have any amount of magical power, and especially in cases of dependence on it, they would immediately be put off by it like when trying to planeswalk in Ixalan.

Quote:
Fragment of Earth (Land)
Fragment of Chaos (Planeswalkers)

1. Since they're "Fragments" I'm guessing there will be some account of them being the pieces of a single legendary artifact.
2. Do they affect magical items, as Whispersilk Cloaks, or magic-ed creatures?
3. It seems that each of those Fragments allows you to cast a type of card. Problem is, casting lands means connecting with them, not moving them around or doing some other kind of awesome thing. Unless the majority of the lands can be animated, it seems to me that the Fragment of Earth can do little on its own. Do the Fragments also allow you to cast the cards that interact with those types? In which case, are there overlaps (like, Tooth and Nail being both a Sorcery and Creature magic)?
4. Tribal has a very weak autonomous identity, so the Land issue returns. Also, what does "attachment" means? Does its power affect, like, the bonding of magical equipment and Auras?

1. Yeah a plot point would be that they are pieces of a legendary artifact, enabling a character ultimate omnipotence within the plane and extreme amounts of power outside, as well as the ability to planeswalk.
2. Magical items by default are either de-powered (for the extremely fantastical stuff) or left alone. The Fragment of Steel would enable characters to re-power an artifact or make that artifact a lot better.
3. Fragment of Earth tutors and animates lands. It also interacts with land-based gimmicks, like Retrace. Yes, all the artifacts here have some level of overlap, most notably high-CMC cards being able to be cast with any of the Fragments regardless of card type, while low-CMC cards are much more restricted.
4. Fragment of Bonds affects equipment and auras. It also affects creature subtypes, and makes things interacting with creature subtypes a lot easier. One faction would be defined by a large amount of creature diversity and have a mechanic built for them, rewarding players depending on how many subtypes exist among permanents they control. They would have similarities to the merfolk in Ixalan, believing that if the Fragment of Bonds leaves their hands, misery and racism would follow.

Also, the narrowness problem of these fragments also affect the Fragment of Chaos, which affects planeswalkers. The Fragment of Chaos would interact with the library and interact with low-CMC stuff to try and balance its narrowness out.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm 

The statement of how planeswalkers would be affected by the plane's magic is simply about the

This sentence has lost its tail.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm 

Tail stuck back on. Something's wrong, it's not moving.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm 

Are you sure? It's working well enough, seems to me :D

Quote:
This is also part of the Hokia-Picaeru shard, which I'm tempted to just call the Hokian Shard considering that Hokia holds the primary faction that would be trying to keep this area protected.

Why Shard? Seeing how the term is used in Alara, I think it's not the most intuitive term. Maybe Cluster, to refence astronomy?

Quote:
My anti-planeswalker stance when designing planes comes from my fondness for non-MtG games where there's additional challenges. I kind of wanted to make a "hard mode" for planeswalker characters to deal with.

I get where you're coming from, but difficulty for the sake of difficulty is not very rewarding on a narrative level, at least for me. Jakkard has the Crystal Vault enhancing the plane's lethality for 'walkers, but that works narratively because the plane has guns, ridiculously dangerous weapons that anyone can use. 'Walkers have to face gunfights and threats of gunmen/snipers as everyone else, it enhances the High Noon feel of the confrontations. It's just an accessory to the narrative.

So whose stories would be made interesting by difficulty? The ones that see planes as games to be beaten. So, unless there are unambiguous tyrannies and other Bad Things for heroes to remedy/prevent... we're talking about villains, and we're not often following their PoV and rooting for them.

In conclusion I dunno, I think I could come up with something interesting with magic-suppressed Ungar and the Fragments of Bonds, but in general I feel like difficulty for its own sake it's not a strong selling point.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 pm 

Are you sure? It's working well enough, seems to me :D

Quote:
This is also part of the Hokia-Picaeru shard, which I'm tempted to just call the Hokian Shard considering that Hokia holds the primary faction that would be trying to keep this area protected.

Why Shard? Seeing how the term is used in Alara, I think it's not the most intuitive term. Maybe Cluster, to refence astronomy?

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Shard_of_the_Twelve_Worlds
That's where the reference comes from, but I could probably call it a cluster because I like that term more.

Quote:
Quote:
My anti-planeswalker stance when designing planes comes from my fondness for non-MtG games where there's additional challenges. I kind of wanted to make a "hard mode" for planeswalker characters to deal with.

I get where you're coming from, but difficulty for the sake of difficulty is not very rewarding on a narrative level, at least for me. Jakkard has the Crystal Vault enhancing the plane's lethality for 'walkers, but that works narratively because the plane has guns, ridiculously dangerous weapons that anyone can use. 'Walkers have to face gunfights and threats of gunmen/snipers as everyone else, it enhances the High Noon feel of the confrontations. It's just an accessory to the narrative.

So whose stories would be made interesting by difficulty? The ones that see planes as games to be beaten. So, unless there are unambiguous tyrannies and other Bad Things for heroes to remedy/prevent... we're talking about villains, and we're not often following their PoV and rooting for them.

In conclusion I dunno, I think I could come up with something interesting with magic-suppressed Ungar and the Fragments of Bonds, but in general I feel like difficulty for its own sake it's not a strong selling point.

Thankfully there's gameplay and story segregation, which I don't like using often. I should read about the Crystal Vault.

The idea behind the plane's story was supposed to be a treasure hunt, where many people are searching for the Soclar Fragments, or protecting them, in a manner similar to Ixalan. But without magic to back up the 'walkers, the characters are limited to using more primitive or advanced abilities. I mean, I think it would be interesting to see Gideon not be invincible all the time and rely on his sural. A native planeswalker supposedly has a couple of the Soclar Fragments, while most people either only have one, have none, or share one with an entire faction to protect it. That planeswalker has the ability to vastly overpower anything in his path because of that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 am 

Quote:
I should read about the Crystal Vault.

Sorry, it's actually called crystal ceiling, apparently :sweat:
Quick excerpts from the Jakkard dossier:
Quote:
Centuries ago, an unknown event caused a massive disruption in the mana of Jakkard, with two major results. First, a strange kind of crystalline ceiling formed over the plane, making Planeswalking in and out impossible in all but one location.

Quote:
While the crystal ceiling has begun to crack, it is still in place and it may be difficult for a 'walker to escape the plane if they find themselves in the Waste surrounded by enemies.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 am 

A piece of advice that kind of spins off Huey's point, in that, in my experience, when creating a world, unless you have a specific story to tell with it, you're going to need not just a hook to make others use your world, you're also going to need to make it am appealing world to work with. Hence, difficulty just for the sake if itself is often a disincentive to someone actually picking it up and finding what to do with it.

It's one of the primary reasons I've kinda stopped trying to build worlds poorly for the creative sake.

That's not meant to be a criticism of this world, but just an observation. I've not had a lot of time to comb through the info, though Huey has already made some good points. I'll try to browse what you've got at some point soon to offer my own feedback.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 am 

Barinellos wrote:
A piece of advice that kind of spins off Huey's point, in that, in my experience, when creating a world, unless you have a specific story to tell with it, you're going to need not just a hook to make others use your world, you're also going to need to make it am appealing world to work with. Hence, difficulty just for the sake if itself is often a disincentive to someone actually picking it up and finding what to do with it.

It's one of the primary reasons I've kinda stopped trying to build worlds poorly for the creative sake.

That's something I noticed myself; unless there's already a plane that embodies so well some idea or aesthetic that coming up with a plane of your own would sound like a rip-off (I don't think anyone is going to design a new Wild West plane anytime soon), writers (myself included) will usually just tailor a brand new plane to their personal vision. You can't count on people seeing the swing in your courtyard and immediately running to give it a try, you just have to have such a great fun with it that maybe someone will ask for a turn :D But it seems you have a few ideas already, so it may not be a problem.

Like this post