It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:01 am 

Hey, everyone!

I feel like it's been a while since I've brought you a new story, so here is one that I hope you enjoy! There is probably no absolutely required reading for this one, but a couple of recommended stories would be "Shades of Red" and "Scar's", both of which can be found in this link.

So, please enjoy this little foray back into the Wastes of Jakkard! As always, comments always give me the warm, fuzzy feeling, so feel free to drop off one or two of them after reading.

:D

Ticket to Rid

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 am 

Identity: Male
I haven't read this, but is it supposed to be "Ticket To Rid", or to "ride"? If the former- nice pun. If the latter, then I'll just slink away.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:22 am 

TPmanW wrote:
I haven't read this, but is it supposed to be "Ticket To Rid", or to "ride"? If the former- nice pun. If the latter, then I'll just slink away.

It's the former. It is, in fact, meant to be "Ticket to Rid," although "Ticket to Ride" might be an appropriate title as might, perhaps, "Ticket to Red."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:06 am 

Identity: Male
I liked the ending of the story, but Scar's portrayal rubs me the wrong way for my taste. She's almost Mary Sueish in how she rejects the opinion of all the more experienced Ridders and then gets vindicated anyway. I would have enjoyed the story a lot more if she wasn't the only character depicted to be competent and sympathetic.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:23 pm 

I liked the ending of the story, but Scar's portrayal rubs me the wrong way for my taste. She's almost Mary Sueish in how she rejects the opinion of all the more experienced Ridders and then gets vindicated anyway. I would have enjoyed the story a lot more if she wasn't the only character depicted to be competent and sympathetic.

Thanks for reading, CKY!

I'm glad you liked the end, at least.

I definitely see what you're saying. I tried to suggest that Scar was right and the others were wrong because Scar was intentionally holding back information from them, so that if they had known what she knew, they would have concluded what she concluded. Maybe something about how the other three aren't trackers might help? I'll look at it.

Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:54 pm 

Jakkard, you say?

This is relevant to my interests... :D

And this is a good one, Raven -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Reading this, I am instantly reminded of how much I like Scar. And, while I obviously love the stories about her life on the ranch, it's just as great to see her out in the Waste, now that she's starting to carve out her own niche in the world. Somehow, I have a feeling that she's going to be a legend in her own right, one of these days. We know she has the grit for it, that's for sure. And I love her little mental aside about differentiating the good bandits from the bad ones. :)

(Also, I love the little asides about the wanted poster artists, too. That's an aspect of Jakkard life which I suppose I never really thought much about before. I love the notion that there's a specialized little group of artisans who make the lithographs specifically for those posters. That must be a very specific set of skills, and I'm now fascinated by the question of what sorts of people would end up doing that job.)

Scar's little reflections on the lessons she learned from the ranch are some of my favorite moments in the piece. I like that she's inherited Jackie's preference for shooting single action, as well as her habit of only loading five chambers, for safety. Similarly, when Scar takes Kyrick's first punch, I'm reminded of Jackie's own rumination about her lack of grace as a pugilist, which she makes up for by knowing how to take a punch, and how to hit a man so that he won't get back up again afterward. Seems like Scar absorbed some of that as well. :)

There's one in line particular, at the end, which just gets at me:

“Don’t worry, I’ll get you to the train station myself, but they have to think you have family, or they’ll try to put you in an orphanage, and Red would never forgive me for that.”

I can't explain why this tears at my heart the way it does, but it does. I immediately imagine young Jackie back in her Hellhole of an orphanage, and I'm reminded of why she does what she does, and why she's determined to make a home for these kids like her, where they can have a chance to grow up on their own terms. I'm reminded of her comment to Fisco, to the effect that an orphanage is the place "where people who can’t be bothered to give a damn throw away all the kids they can’t be bothered to give a damn about," whereas, at Red's, "this my ranch, and I give a damn about everyone here."

Seeing Scar here with Kid, that all came rushing back to me, and, I will not lie, I got a little teary.

Anyway, like I said, I really, really enjoyed this story. Thanks again for sharing it, Raven!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:47 pm 

Jakkard, you say?

I do say.

This is relevant to my interests... :D

I've noticed that. :)

And this is a good one, Raven -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

And thank you for reading!

Reading this, I am instantly reminded of how much I like Scar. And, while I obviously love the stories about her life on the ranch, it's just as great to see her out in the Waste, now that she's starting to carve out her own niche in the world. Somehow, I have a feeling that she's going to be a legend in her own right, one of these days. We know she has the grit for it, that's for sure. And I love her little mental aside about differentiating the good bandits from the bad ones. :)

I think that distinction has really become one of Scar's key features. I just got this sort of mental image of Scar and the first set of kids when Red happens on them, because Scar and Red don't know one another yet. And, as Red (an infamous bandit) approaches them, I just see Scar ushering the other children behind her as she squares up to Red and, defiantly, tells her that she won't hurt those kids. And Red just kind of smiles and says, "You're right. I won't."

Thus, Scarlet's first lesson in the difference between the good and the bad kind.

(Also, I love the little asides about the wanted poster artists, too. That's an aspect of Jakkard life which I suppose I never really thought much about before. I love the notion that there's a specialized little group of artisans who make the lithographs specifically for those posters. That must be a very specific set of skills, and I'm now fascinated by the question of what sorts of people would end up doing that job.)

I mean, Jakkard does seem to have newspapers or something like it, and the Fortune Mining Company of Fortune's Folly had advertisements, so it's quite possible that there are printing presses of some kind on the plane, but I don't get the sense that there are any photographs, so I figure those pictures have to come from somewhere. But I believe it was either you or Ruwin (depending on whichever of you wrote this section) that brought up the idea in "Rest for the Wicked" that the lithograph of Red, possibly from one of her early wanted posters, got her eyes all wrong.

Scar's little reflections on the lessons she learned from the ranch are some of my favorite moments in the piece. I like that she's inherited Jackie's preference for shooting single action, as well as her habit of only loading five chambers, for safety. Similarly, when Scar takes Kyrick's first punch, I'm reminded of Jackie's own rumination about her lack of grace as a pugilist, which she makes up for by knowing how to take a punch, and how to hit a man so that he won't get back up again afterward. Seems like Scar absorbed some of that as well. :)

Scar learned a lot from Red Jackie!

There's one in line particular, at the end, which just gets at me:

“Don’t worry, I’ll get you to the train station myself, but they have to think you have family, or they’ll try to put you in an orphanage, and Red would never forgive me for that.”

I can't explain why this tears at my heart the way it does, but it does. I immediately imagine young Jackie back in her Hellhole of an orphanage, and I'm reminded of why she does what she does, and why she's determined to make a home for these kids like her, where they can have a chance to grow up on their own terms. I'm reminded of her comment to Fisco, to the effect that an orphanage is the place "where people who can’t be bothered to give a damn throw away all the kids they can’t be bothered to give a damn about," whereas, at Red's, "this my ranch, and I give a damn about everyone here."

Seeing Scar here with Kid, that all came rushing back to me, and, I will not lie, I got a little teary.

One thing I very much wanted to do with this story was establish that, while Scar does want to be out "on her own," she is also very much doing Jackie's work out in the Waste. She will, I imagine, always be on the lookout for kids in the Waste that need Red's Ranch, and she'll see to it that they get on the right trains.

Anyway, like I said, I really, really enjoyed this story. Thanks again for sharing it, Raven!

Well, I'm glad you did, and again, thank you for reading!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 pm 

I mean, Jakkard does seem to have newspapers or something like it, and the Fortune Mining Company of Fortune's Folly had advertisements, so it's quite possible that there are printing presses of some kind on the plane, but I don't get the sense that there are any photographs, so I figure those pictures have to come from somewhere. But I believe it was either you or Ruwin (depending on whichever of you wrote this section) that brought up the idea in "Rest for the Wicked" that the lithograph of Red, possibly from one of her early wanted posters, got her eyes all wrong.

I have definitely been operating under the assumption that old-timey printing presses exist on Jakkard, such that printed newspapers and books are a thing. But, yeah, for illustrations, I've always assumed they were lithographs or etchings.

And, yes, in both "Love and Theft" and "Rest For the Wicked," Trotter makes a comment that the lithographs of Jackie never do get her eyes quite right. :)

I just got this sort of mental image of Scar and the first set of kids when Red happens on them, because Scar and Red don't know one another yet. And, as Red (an infamous bandit) approaches them, I just see Scar ushering the other children behind her as she squares up to Red and, defiantly, tells her that she won't hurt those kids. And Red just kind of smiles and says, "You're right. I won't."

And now I totally want to write this piece. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:43 pm 

I just got this sort of mental image of Scar and the first set of kids when Red happens on them, because Scar and Red don't know one another yet. And, as Red (an infamous bandit) approaches them, I just see Scar ushering the other children behind her as she squares up to Red and, defiantly, tells her that she won't hurt those kids. And Red just kind of smiles and says, "You're right. I won't."

I count that as a victory, not only for myself, but for everyone who reads M:EM material!

And hey, anything can happen on any given Tuesday.

;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm 

Identity: Human

Me too. I was having some fun reading this piece, when I get to this line and suddenly tears start pouring out. I don't even know particularly why it got to me, but I had that same reaction.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

I picture Scar as very , but maybe I'll have to add some , because she does seem quite good at bringing on the waterworks.

:)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 pm 

Identity: Human
Goddamn you. Have a like.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

Goddamn you. Have a like.

Thanks. I'm thinking of starting a collection of those.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:05 pm 

I somehow never got around to commenting on this piece, which is a shame, because I like it. I like the idea of Scar as a Neutral Good character: Willing to work with the establishment as long as it's the right thing to do, but breaking off on her own when necessary.

Granted, it really didn't take the others much longer to reach the right place, and I'm not entirely convinced that tossing the gun aside was a good idea, but so far, things are working out for her.

How long before she discovers just how much power the new Establishment can wield?

Meanwhile, I can't help but notice that you, RavenoftheBlack, named a character Breeze, on a plane with guns.

That sounds like fun, too. I'd also like to see more of Scar's first Rid, learning the ropes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:58 pm 

Brentain wrote:
I somehow never got around to commenting on this piece, which is a shame, because I like it.

Well, I'm glad that you were able to get to it, and that you liked it!

Brentain wrote:
I like the idea of Scar as a Neutral Good character: Willing to work with the establishment as long as it's the right thing to do, but breaking off on her own when necessary.

I'm sure Scar will have many a crazy adventure with the Ridders, and, since I'm likely to write at least one of them, they probably won't all go so well for her...

I'm not always the nicest person to my characters, am I?

Brentain wrote:
Granted, it really didn't take the others much longer to reach the right place, and I'm not entirely convinced that tossing the gun aside was a good idea, but so far, things are working out for her.

I sort of imagine the other Ridders probably found the acridian Kyrick sent north, but it's never spelled out here, because I didn't want to return to the other Ridders. I didn't feel as though they were the focus of the story.

Brentain wrote:
How long before she discovers just how much power the new Establishment can wield?

The Ridders, along with the Rail-Runners, are sort of pet projects of mine within the umbrella of Jakkard, and so I am very much looking forward to exploring some of the facets of the Ridders, and the potential grayness of their ethics, through the lens of Scarlet. Sadly, it will likely be a little bit of a while before I manage to write anything, let alone a Scar stories I haven't planned yet, what with starting my new job and having almost no free time anymore, but who knows when inspiration will strike?

And of course, I'm all for others picking up the character and having some good old fashioned Jakkard fun!

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, I can't help but notice that you, RavenoftheBlack, named a character Breeze, on a plane with guns.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about...

:shifty:

Brentain wrote:

That sounds like fun, too. I'd also like to see more of Scar's first Rid, learning the ropes.

I think she learned all she wanted to of Rope...

But yes, there is really no shortage of potential Scar stories that I would love to read and/or write. "Scar's" remains one of my favorite stories I've written (I just reread it the other day and MAN do I love that story) and I'm always glad when she pops up. I do have some tentative plans for her, but as I said, I won't be able to get to them for a while yet.

Thanks for reading, Brentain!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 pm 

I'm not always the nicest person to my characters, am I?

I'm fairly certain they have a support group by now. :)

Brentain wrote:

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about...

:shifty:

:rimshot:

Like this post