It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:25 pm 

Oh, boy, do I remember that feeling! :D

I KNOW, RIGHT?

Who knew there were so many Tuesdays?

I like this installment. We learn more about the underlying issues plaguing everybody's favorite nearly-a-town. It definitely makes me wonder how all of this is going to play out once we get to where this is eventually going. In the meantime, though, I am certainly enjoying the ride!

Thanks for posting!

Well thank you very much for reading, as always -- and for the kind words!

I had fun with this one, too. It was nice to get back to Red Sky, after a little time away. I find myself somewhat inordinately amused by the ways in which Kitt can be very self-controlled, and very attuned to her situation, and the ways in which she is not always quite as perceptive as she believes herself to be. If I were her -- or Wynn, for that matter -- I would be increasingly thinking about trying to put some distance between myself and Red Sky. But Kitt seems confident of her own ability to navigate these swirling currents, and I suppose only time will tell. It seems telling that, whatever the aetherostat is telling them, it's apparently interesting enough that they use their secret conference to discuss that, and not, for example, the fact that Hiss just propositioned them to kill the mayor, which seems to me as though it might be a slightly more pressing issue.

Anyway, I don't know yet how everything will play out, so I'm as excited to see as anyone. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:31 am 

Identity: Male
This is incredible. Even when you're flying blind by your own admission, it's a testament to your skill that you've arranged all these building blocks and set up the tension just so. I can't wait for the moment everything come tumbling down.

And I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for the word "managetic". But I'm erring towards love. Because you are awesome.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:25 pm 

Thank you so much for reading, CKY, and for the kind words! I'm really glad you're continuing to enjoy the story!

This is incredible. Even when you're flying blind by your own admission, it's a testament to your skill that you've arranged all these building blocks and set up the tension just so. I can't wait for the moment everything come tumbling down.

Well, again, thank you. :) And, yeah, it certainly feels like events in Red Sky are headed towards a major collision of some variety. There are just too many people with too many different agendas -- some of them hidden, some of them less so -- and I'm having a hard time picturing a scenario where this doesn't end badly for someone. I think it's just a question of who, and how badly...

And I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for the word "managetic". But I'm erring towards love. Because you are awesome.

I will accept either love or hate. :) I mean, it's a word which doesn't roll off the tongue with a lot of grace. But I do take a kind of impish satisfaction each time that spell check tries to change it to "magnetic," and I tell spell check to take a hike.

And, again, thank you for reading, and for the very kind words!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 am 

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Was up early today, since I have to bust it to the airport in just a bit. But I managed to get the story done, because Tuedsay Night Story Club is a sacred vow, even when it turns out to be Tuesday Morning Story Club instead. :)

Honor

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am 

I like it. I appreciate the running, well, not "gag" really, but the running theme that Sir Ruth always wears her full armor even when there is, strictly speaking, no "need" for it. It just seems very much in her character. Aurélie is also very much in character here, her ruthless pragmatism (okay, well, "ruthful" in this case... :paranoid:) driving her even more than her prejudices. I think my favorite thing in this piece is Sir Ruth's response of "Most women are not good women," by which of course she means people. That's a good line right there, and two good characters to reflect on the sentiment.

I sort of want to know what Captain Valerie's reaction is to the destruction and subversion of her various locks aboard ship...

:D

Thanks for posting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:15 am 

Took me a while to get around to this, but I like it. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 am 

You could cut the tension with a knife.

Aurélie tried to!

:V

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 pm 

Thank you both so much for reading, Raven and CKY!

(Which, by the way, is a sentence I will *never* get tired of typing. Much like, "I will have another cookie, please!" Or, "But Colonel Mustard wasn't in the cellar!")

I like it. I appreciate the running, well, not "gag" really, but the running theme that Sir Ruth always wears her full armor even when there is, strictly speaking, no "need" for it. It just seems very much in her character.

I like it, too. :) And, yeah, Sir Ruth strikes me very much as someone who lives by this code which may strike other, more practical people as being without purpose, but which is, to her, very purposeful, and very important. She is a chevalier, and chevaliers wear armor. If she wasn't wearing armor, she wouldn't be a chevalier. Simple as that (as much as that sentiment might irk Aurelie...).

I kind of love that Aurelie points out -- correctly, I think -- that, if Sir Ruth only asked Elise about it, Elise would tell her that she doesn't have to wear the plate on the ship. But, of course, Sir Ruth won't ask Elise about it, because that's not how a chevalier behaves.

Aurélie is also very much in character here, her ruthless pragmatism (okay, well, "ruthful" in this case... ) driving her even more than her prejudices.

:rimshot:

One of the things which I worried, at first, was maybe wrong, is just Aurelie's level of bluntness, here. But I think it sort of works for her character? I think Aurelie certainly isn't above evasion, when she thinks it would suit her purposes. But I think that the way she might choose to deal with Elise and Sir Ruth -- who are, still, sort of uncomfortable allies of convenience, from Aurelie's perspective -- is to just be very blunt, to sort of push at them a little bit, and to see how much and how far they push back. Because Elise and Sir Ruth both come from this aristocratic world where you simply don't say what you actually think; you say what convention dictates that you say. So evasion probably doesn't get you far with them -- they're used to it. But, if you go straight at them? Maybe that reveals something. And so I think Aurelie's directness is maybe a little cathartic for her, but I also think it makes sense, as a tactic, and Aurelie is nothing if not a tireless tactician.

I think my favorite thing in this piece is Sir Ruth's response of "Most women are not good women," by which of course she means people. That's a good line right there, and two good characters to reflect on the sentiment.

Yeah. I like that neither Aurelie or Sir Ruth are unaffected by the common prejudices of Thorneau. Aurelie will probably never be comfortable about being allied to a noble, whatever she might thing about Elise. And Sir Ruth isn't free of the prevailing prejudices against mages, even though she serves one, and has risked her life for one, and considers Elise to be "a good woman." Neither of them are above these sorts of fears of generalizations, but they both have the ability to see past them at times. And that sort of helps humanize them for me, I think.

And I really found myself thinking back to that moment in "Enough Rope," when Henri is kind of reading Aurelie the riot act, about her calculating outlook, and her hypocrisies, and she just tells him, yes, all of that's true, but I've never claimed to be a good person. She's trying to do the right thing, but she doesn't claim to be good. And I felt like she and Sir Ruth might have that in common. They're both just trying to do the "right" thing, as best as each of them understands how.

I sort of want to know what Captain Valerie's reaction is to the destruction and subversion of her various locks aboard ship...

Me, too!

I also like to imagine that you can tell who broke into any given cabin, based on whether the lock was carefully picked, or just smashed in. :D

Thanks for posting!

Thank you for reading!

Took me a while to get around to this, but I like it. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Thanks so much for reading, CKY! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And, yeah, I really hope that there is this sense building through the episode that maybe something could happen between these two, and then I also hope that, at the end, when Aurelie just sort of decides to test Sir Ruth, it's a little bit suprising, but it also makes sense, given what we know about her, and how things have gone to that point.

I kind of like them as frienemies. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 pm 

Thank you both so much for reading, Raven and CKY!

(Which, by the way, is a sentence I will *never* get tired of typing. Much like, "I will have another cookie, please!" Or, "But Colonel Mustard wasn't in the cellar!")

"Communism was just a red herring."

I like it. I appreciate the running, well, not "gag" really, but the running theme that Sir Ruth always wears her full armor even when there is, strictly speaking, no "need" for it. It just seems very much in her character.

I like it, too. :) And, yeah, Sir Ruth strikes me very much as someone who lives by this code which may strike other, more practical people as being without purpose, but which is, to her, very purposeful, and very important. She is a chevalier, and chevaliers wear armor. If she wasn't wearing armor, she wouldn't be a chevalier. Simple as that (as much as that sentiment might irk Aurelie...).

I kind of love that Aurelie points out -- correctly, I think -- that, if Sir Ruth only asked Elise about it, Elise would tell her that she doesn't have to wear the plate on the ship. But, of course, Sir Ruth won't ask Elise about it, because that's not how a chevalier behaves.

I also like that this plays into both Elise's cloistered noble upbringing and her inexperience as a comtesse. She's obviously an intelligent woman, but I suspect that any discomfort Sir Ruth might feel in her armor is sort of a blind spot for Elise, because she's just always seen Sir Ruth and others of her ilk in armor, so it's just "normal" for her. And on the other side of things, she's far enough removed from the experience of the nobility that she probably thinks that if Sir Ruth is uncomfortable, she would just say something.

I think it's an interesting little sub-context of the assumptions and the lack of communication between the classes in Thorneau, and another reminder of why I'm so fond of this setting.

One of the things which I worried, at first, was maybe wrong, is just Aurelie's level of bluntness, here. But I think it sort of works for her character? I think Aurelie certainly isn't above evasion, when she thinks it would suit her purposes. But I think that the way she might choose to deal with Elise and Sir Ruth -- who are, still, sort of uncomfortable allies of convenience, from Aurelie's perspective -- is to just be very blunt, to sort of push at them a little bit, and to see how much and how far they push back. Because Elise and Sir Ruth both come from this aristocratic world where you simply don't say what you actually think; you say what convention dictates that you say. So evasion probably doesn't get you far with them -- they're used to it. But, if you go straight at them? Maybe that reveals something. And so I think Aurelie's directness is maybe a little cathartic for her, but I also think it makes sense, as a tactic, and Aurelie is nothing if not a tireless tactician.

Very true. And I think Aurelie looks at Sir Ruth as someone she could respect and work with, if only she weren't so helplessly devoted to the aristocracy. I have a harder time getting a reading on Sir Ruth, but I suspect the converse is also true, that Sir Ruth would be honored to serve with Aurelie, if Aurelie were only not a rebel.

I think my favorite thing in this piece is Sir Ruth's response of "Most women are not good women," by which of course she means people. That's a good line right there, and two good characters to reflect on the sentiment.

Yeah. I like that neither Aurelie or Sir Ruth are unaffected by the common prejudices of Thorneau. Aurelie will probably never be comfortable about being allied to a noble, whatever she might thing about Elise. And Sir Ruth isn't free of the prevailing prejudices against mages, even though she serves one, and has risked her life for one, and considers Elise to be "a good woman." Neither of them are above these sorts of fears of generalizations, but they both have the ability to see past them at times. And that sort of helps humanize them for me, I think.

And I really found myself thinking back to that moment in "Enough Rope," when Henri is kind of reading Aurelie the riot act, about her calculating outlook, and her hypocrisies, and she just tells him, yes, all of that's true, but I've never claimed to be a good person. She's trying to do the right thing, but she doesn't claim to be good. And I felt like she and Sir Ruth might have that in common. They're both just trying to do the "right" thing, as best as each of them understands how.

This reminds me of that conversation in WotW between Tharandias and Hokin, about the difference between doing the right thing for the wrong reason, or the wrong thing for the right reason. I always enjoy seeing this kind of moralizing from characters who come from so many different points of view.

Me, too!

I also like to imagine that you can tell who broke into any given cabin, based on whether the lock was carefully picked, or just smashed in. :D

And now I'm imagining a scene where Aurelie tries to teach Sir Ruth how to pick a lock, only to have Sir Ruth smash it in, saying, "My way is quicker."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm 

"Communism was just a red herring."

"That's right! It was Colonel Mustard's suggestion!"

I also like that this plays into both Elise's cloistered noble upbringing and her inexperience as a comtesse. She's obviously an intelligent woman, but I suspect that any discomfort Sir Ruth might feel in her armor is sort of a blind spot for Elise, because she's just always seen Sir Ruth and others of her ilk in armor, so it's just "normal" for her. And on the other side of things, she's far enough removed from the experience of the nobility that she probably thinks that if Sir Ruth is uncomfortable, she would just say something.

I think that's totally correct, on both counts!

Very true. And I think Aurelie looks at Sir Ruth as someone she could respect and work with, if only she weren't so helplessly devoted to the aristocracy. I have a harder time getting a reading on Sir Ruth, but I suspect the converse is also true, that Sir Ruth would be honored to serve with Aurelie, if Aurelie were only not a rebel.

My read on Sir Ruth is that she's someone who places an almost incalculable value on loyalty, and duty. I think partly that's just the result of the culture she has lived in -- she so steeped in the way of the chevalier that you almost can't tell where it starts and she stops -- but I also get the sense that this is just part of her personality, too. She believes in duty, and honor, and the path of her life has led her to pledge those things to the LaRoux family, and, that pledge having been made, it's what will guide her to the end of her days.

So, I think she looks at Aurelie, and she sees someone who understands duty, and service to an idea. But I think she also looks at Aurelie, and she sees someone who, while she is an ally for now, could potentially become dangerous to Elise at any time. And so I don't think Sir Ruth can ever fully let her guard down around Aurelie, as much as she might otherwise respect her, under different circumstances.

This reminds me of that conversation in WotW between Tharandias and Hokin, about the difference between doing the right thing for the wrong reason, or the wrong thing for the right reason. I always enjoy seeing this kind of moralizing from characters who come from so many different points of view.

That's another good example, yeah.

And now I'm imagining a scene where Aurelie tries to teach Sir Ruth how to pick a lock, only to have Sir Ruth smash it in, saying, "My way is quicker."

Also, to this day, I wonder who it was who had the white cotton sundress which Sir Ruth expropriated for the royal audience.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 am 

A fair warning, though, that this one is a little heavy. :(

Smoke, Pt. 2

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm 

:cry:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:26 pm 

The Messenger

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Awww...

Quote:
It wasn't vital

It kinda was. Come the **** on, Raven :face:

I'm just joking, I can't stay mad at those puns.

I Shall Believe turned my attitude toward Haru from "Nice, I wonder where this is going" to "I need to know MOAR" :D

I finally came around to read Brandy's story; aside from the fact I first heard the song from RHCP's Live in Hyde Park, I second all the good things that have been said about it.

Honor is an interesting piece of character study. Both women have a terminal case of "chill=lowering my guard"; justified or not, keeping yourself constantly taut as a bowstring can't be good.

I'll eventually read Red Sky, I swear :blush:

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:55 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, CKY, Raven, and Huey! As always, it is very much appreciated!

:cry:

Yeah.

That basically sums up my reaction, too.

The Messenger

I love it!

I swear (pun very much intended), Orida is one of my favorite M:EM characters. Anything she's in, I'm there.

Anyway, I love, love, love this. Orida's great, and the reveal at the end gets me like a heart-seeking missile. There's something absolutely perfect about the moment when Layna is hugging Beryl, and Beryl is hugging Layna, and Aloise is just crying that one tear, and no one says anything, but we all know what each of them is thinking. And then Orida's reaction to it all is perfect.

Really, really great. Thanks so much for sharing, Raven!

Quote:
It wasn't vital

It kinda was. Come the **** on, Raven :face:

I'm just joking, I can't stay mad at those puns.

:rimshot:

I Shall Believe turned my attitude toward Haru from "Nice, I wonder where this is going" to "I need to know MOAR" :D

Thank you for the kind words! And I want to know more, too! :D

I finally came around to read Brandy's story; aside from the fact I first heard the song from RHCP's Live in Hyde Park, I second all the good things that have been said about it.

Thank you again -- I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I honestly had no idea that RHCP covered that song -- going to have to consult the YouTubes...

Honor is an interesting piece of character study. Both women have a terminal case of "chill=lowering my guard"; justified or not, keeping yourself constantly taut as a bowstring can't be good.

Yeah, that's a great analogy. They both remind me a little bit of boxers, here, sort of circling around the ring before the first punch gets thrown, trying to size each other up.

I'll eventually read Red Sky, I swear :blush:

Hey, no worries! It's not going anywhere. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 pm 

Strong Enough

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm 

I've shot rifles before, even a clay pigeon or two, but never with the amount of emotion you pack into so few words. Then again, I've never had as good a reason to shoot anything as our poor little runaway, nor quite as much fear of authority.

And maybe, someday, I can grow as confident as we've seen her become.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:10 pm 

I do love Scar. She's always fun to read about, and this is a very nice moment between her and Red. I particularly love when she stamps her hoof because she's saying sorry too much.

I definitely hope that we see more of Scar in future TNSCs!

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven and Brentain! It is greatly appreciated!

Brentain wrote:
I've shot rifles before, even a clay pigeon or two, but never with the amount of emotion you pack into so few words. Then again, I've never had as good a reason to shoot anything as our poor little runaway, nor quite as much fear of authority.

Well, thank you for the very kind words! I'm so glad you liked the piece!

Brentain wrote:
And maybe, someday, I can grow as confident as we've seen her become.

That's what I hope for, too.

I do love Scar.

Me, too. :)

I particularly love when she stamps her hoof because she's saying sorry too much.

I like that moment, too. It sort of crept into the piece unintentionally, but I really got struck by this notion that, when she first came to the ranch, Scar still had this reflex to just apologize for everything she does, almost, and that it would be something which Jackie would be trying very hard to rid her of (pun moderately intended).

I definitely hope that we see more of Scar in future TNSCs!

Me, too! You never can tell. Honest-to-God, I really do just write all these day-of, based off of whatever idea I can get some purchase on on any given day. I kind of have a small backlog of half-formed ideas, but I never know what's going to come out. I actually started the afternoon thinking it might be "Smoke, Part 3" today, but things took an unexpected turn.

So, hey, maybe!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 am 

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next