It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 pm 

Hey, everyone!

So, I have been struggling a bit of late with my writing.

Or, to be more accurate, I have been struggling a lot.

Some days, I feel like I have a mountain of ideas which I want to be working on, but the weight of all those prospective stories just feels like it's crushing me.

Other days, I'm utterly convinced that I've told all the stories I have to tell, and that all that's left is for me to repeat myself, ad infinitum, until I'm just rewriting sad, watered-down echoes.

Needless to say, this is not a great mindset to be in, and, if I'm being honest, it has been scaring me away from the keyboard.

I'd sort of convinced myself that it was my job which was the problem -- that work was just draining me, and that, once I was out of that situation, the dam would break, and a flood of stories would come bursting forth. Well, work has been out of the picture for several months now, and yet the levees have been holding strong.

So I've come to the realization that what I need to do is just write. To stop thinking so damn much, and just get words on the page.

Sweet Jesus -- and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but... -- I just need to punch the keys, for God's sake...

So I drew a line in the sand today. And, to that effect, I give you the Tuesday Night Story Club.

Long story short, I'm putting myself on a flash fiction regimen, until the fingers get used to the keyboard again.

Every week, on Tuesday, I'm going to write a story. Rain or shine, a story's coming out.

And, so that I can keep myself honest -- and so that the rest of you all can hold my feet to the fire, if you like -- I'm going to post them here each week.

The rules are simple:

1. It has to be a story.
2. It has to be written on Tuesday.
3. It can be any length.
4. It can be about anything.
5. It doesn't have to be canon.
6. It doesn't even have to belong in the M:EM.
7. Before the end of the day, it goes up, whether I feel like it's "ready," or not.

This is a bit of a departure from the way I usually work, which involves a lot of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the muse to strike, and then a lot of grinding, and grinding, and grinding as I try to get the first draft to where I want it. And there's still a place for that.

But Tuesday Night Story Club is not that place. :)

So, that's the story about these stories. I'll be posting here each week, and we'll see what happens!

EDIT: Sorry -- also implied in all this is that I may be shamelessly stealing lovingly borrowing other people's worlds, characters, and (possibly!) pants for the sake of these flash fics. Normally, this is the sort of thing which I wouldn't do without seeking permission, first, but, since the sake of the exercise is to just write, and damn the consequences, I may end up taking some liberties which I wouldn't otherwise.

Since nothing I post here is represented as being canon, I hope that's okay. But, if anyone ever feels like I've done violence to their creations, please let me know, and I'll pull the offending tripe down.

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 pm 

Tuesday Night Story Club #1:

The Trouble With Spies

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:07 pm 

I seem to remember someone else who used to put out new material every Tuesday. That was fun. I think this will be, as well!

@The Trouble with Spies: Funnily, I just recently re-read some of the Thorneau pieces, so this subject has been much on my mind lately. I enjoyed it, and it's always good to see old friends!

Thanks for sharing, and I will be looking forward to Tuesdays from now on!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 pm 

I seem to remember someone else who used to put out new material every Tuesday. That was fun. I think this will be, as well!

I'm not sure I want to invite the comparison between your meticulously-planned and beautifully-crafted master opus, and my weekly PTKFGS type-a-thon... :takei:

@The Trouble with Spies: Funnily, I just recently re-read some of the Thorneau pieces, so this subject has been much on my mind lately. I enjoyed it, and it's always good to see old friends!

Well, I'm very glad that you liked it! I clearly had Thorneau on the brain, too. :)

Thanks for sharing, and I will be looking forward to Tuesdays from now on!

We'll see how long I can warrant that sentiment!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 am 

Identity: Male
I'm looking forward to these stories!

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:46 pm 

I'm looking forward to these stories!

I am both looking forward to them, and filled with a sense of acute terror! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm 

Hey! It's Tuesday!

[whispers to Luna] I mean, it is Tuesday, right?

[Luna nods sagely]

Yes! Confirmed! It's Tuesday! Which means that I punched the keys a bit today, because it's time for Tuesday Night Story Club!

Aaaaaaand, on that note, here it is: the Tuesday Night Story Club... err... Story.

God, I am terrible at this. :)

The usual rules apply -- which is, to say, there weren't any. I sat. I wrote. Now, I post.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No One Said It Would Be Easy

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm 

I was thinking about starting an informal betting pool about how long it would be before we got an Aloise/Beryl smooch story, but unfortunately you put one up before I could start it.

:D

Thanks for posting. I almost wondered if Ethal was going to show up with the other merfolk.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm 

I was thinking about starting an informal betting pool about how long it would be before we got an Aloise/Beryl smooch story, but unfortunately you put one up before I could start it.

I'm always glad to know that my devolution into a parody of myself is nearing completion. :D

In all seriousness, Aloise and Beryl are sort of my idle gear for writing at this point. If I've got nothing going on upstairs (which, let's be honest, is basically my default setting), and I force myself to sit at the keyboard anyway, they're what come out.

Of course, they can also come out when I've got MAJOR PLANS going on upstairs. They're versatile like that!

So, yeah, basically, I just love Aloise and Beryl. :)

Although I did at least feel like this particular smooch fic had a bit of substance to it, and wasn't just smooches!

I almost wondered if Ethal was going to show up with the other merfolk.

Missed opportunity. :blush:
Thanks for posting.

Hey, it's what I do!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 pm 

This is Tuesday Night Story Club, and the first rule of Tuesday Night Story Club is that, on Tuesday nights, I post the Tuesday Night Story Club story.

So, hey, here's the Tuesday Night Story Club story for this Tuesday night.

I kinda like this one, too. :)

The Lunker

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm 

Oh, I see what you did there.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 pm 

I love it. There's a message there about the orc and the lake, even if it is bittersweet.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:20 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
Only orc on the plane. Odd behavior. Knows who - and what - Daneera is. Wiser than he looks.

Hrm, this guy's pinging my "veteran planeswalker" senses.

Last edited by Landis963 on Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 am 

I look forward to these on Tuesday. Always a good read, even if I don't have time to post.

Here's something,

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

Thanks so much to everyone who read this week's TNSC story -- or any of the others, for that matter! I'm glad that people enjoyed it!

Oh, I see what you did there.

I figured that you might... :D

I love it. There's a message there about the orc and the lake, even if it is bittersweet.

I'm super glad that you liked it! Yeah, and there's definitely something a little bit meloncholy about the notion of just casting a line into an empty pond over, and over, and over. But I'm heartened by Bobber's faith in the notion that the lunker is still out there, somewhere, and, so long as he keeps baiting his hooks, there's always a chance.

I also like that he almost seems to treat fishing as a sort of meditation. It's less about whether or not he actually catches anything, and more about the act of doing. Presumably, that doing could really be anything. But Bobber appears to like fishing. Possibly because it's a socially-acceptable way to meet people, and drink outdoors. :)

Landis963 wrote:
Only orc on the plane. Odd behavior. Knows who - and what - Daneera is. Wiser than he looks.

Hrm, this guy's pinging my "veteran planeswalker" senses.

Without planting a flag one way or the other, I would just say that my spidey senses have the same reaction that yours do. :)

I look forward to these on Tuesday. Always a good read, even if I don't have time to post.

Here's something,

Spoiler

Hah! I love it!

If you ever need evidence that the M:EM is a wonderful place, look no further than the flavor text "I'm not quite as dumb as I look" on a planeswalker card.

Also, if they printed Fish tokens in packs? I mean, I'd collect the Hell out of those things!

Aaarrrgh could collect them, too. Then we'd have Swedish Fish. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:54 pm 

Do you think Bobber knows Raiker Venn? I think they should meet...

:laugh:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 am 

Do you think Bobber knows Raiker Venn? I think they should meet...

:laugh:

:takei:

So, I know that this is called the "Tuesday Night Story Club," but my idea today came on a Tuesday morning, so here it is, a bit ahead of schedule:

What I Can Do for You

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 am 

And here I was thinking there wouldn't be any more Jackie stories. I guess there's no rest for the wicked, eh?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 am 

So it appears that someone else is now looking for Ol' Red Jackie, but this time, the reason is a bit different from the usual. Very interesting. Also, I find it interesting that the moral here seems to be "don't make deals in Jakkard." They just don't end well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm 

And here I was thinking there wouldn't be any more Jackie stories. I guess there's no rest for the wicked, eh?

Somehow, there never seems to be. It's Jackie's own fault, in a weird way. No matter how many times I vow to leave her in peace, I end up missing her too much to really stay away. :)

At this rate, I will wear out my welcome at Red's. Sigh...

Anyway, who knows if I'll ever tug on this thread or not? But I was re-reading "Fox's Run" recently, and I was again struck by the sense that a certain someone appears to have more than just professional pride at stake in the outcome of that card game. So this was one possible explanation for just why that might be.

So it appears that someone else is now looking for Ol' Red Jackie, but this time, the reason is a bit different from the usual. Very interesting. Also, I find it interesting that the moral here seems to be "don't make deals in Jakkard." They just don't end well.

The Waste does seem like a dangerous place to do business. At the very least, I'd be careful about who I was getting into bed with, and I'd certainly think twice about whether even a whole lot of gold is worth the risk of also getting a little bit of lead!

Anyway, thanks so much for reading, Raven and CKY!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next