It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 pm 

Ahhh.

:cry:

When the man was giving his sales pitch, it reminded me of my poem "Spellbook."

Spellbook

Thanks for posting! I can think of two characters who might need to meet up with this mysterious man...

:)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:11 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Aww...

That's a very sweet tribute, figuring out all the references is fun. Thank you for sharing!

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven and Huey! As ever, it means a lot.

When the man was giving his sales pitch, it reminded me of my poem "Spellbook."

That's a good one -- I'd forgotten about it!

Yeah, I sort of started rhyming by accident, and then I figured, why not, let's run with it, at least a little.

That's a very sweet tribute, figuring out all the references is fun.

That was the hope. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 am 

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Honest Work

Last edited by OrcishLibrarian on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am 

@Honest Work: Very nice. Seems like someone has Innistrad on the brain (can't imagine why). I really like the discussion these two have, as if what they do is perfectly ordinary. I kept thinking of the famous South Park "They took our jobs!" bit. Very fun little piece.

Naturally, I need to ask what, if any, significance there is to the names. I'm guessing, of course, that they are a reference to the famous biologist Henry Horatio Dixon, one of the progenitors of the cohesion-tension theory of the movement of water through trees and plants. This, of course, makes a lot of sense for these characters, as they, like water, are trying to rise above the forces trying to keep them down, as gravity tries to keep down water, but through their teamwork and despite (or perhaps because of!) the tension of the situation, succeed in getting where they are going.

So well done there... :paranoid:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:44 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven!

@Honest Work: Very nice. Seems like someone has Innistrad on the brain (can't imagine why).

I know who I blame! :D

I really like the discussion these two have, as if what they do is perfectly ordinary. I kept thinking of the famous South Park "They took our jobs!" bit. Very fun little piece.

I love that, at first, it seems like they might just be grave diggers, and it's not until Horatio starts describing the family business that it becomes clear that they're actually grave robbers. :)

Naturally, I need to ask what, if any, significance there is to the names. I'm guessing, of course, that they are a reference to the famous biologist Henry Horatio Dixon, one of the progenitors of the cohesion-tension theory of the movement of water through trees and plants. This, of course, makes a lot of sense for these characters, as they, like water, are trying to rise above the forces trying to keep them down, as gravity tries to keep down water, but through their teamwork and despite (or perhaps because of!) the tension of the situation, succeed in getting where they are going.

So well done there...

Hey, I learned something today!

Anyway, you are correct -- as usual -- to be suspicious, although I admit that my mind was slightly elsewhere. :) The fact that the conversation takes place in a graveyard just made me think of "Hamlet," hence Horatio.

Dix is a little more roundabout, but it's down the same path. I'm actually a really, really big fan of Michael Almereyda's 2000 film version of "Hamlet," with Ethan Hawke and Kyle MacLachlan -- this is a super unpopular choice, but it's probably my favorite adapted "Hamlet." And, in that movie, the gravediggers do not have their canonical speaking parts, but one can be overheard singing a verse from "All Along The Watchtower" to himself as Hamlet walks past. ("There must be some kinda way out of here...") And, while I -- of all people -- know that's a Dylan song, the Hendrix version is the definitive one, so I decided that I would name the other grave robber Drix, as a little nod.

Except that every darn time I went to type "Drix," I accidentally typed "Dix" instead. Which, upon reflection, I decided was actually a better name, anyway. :)

So that's how we ended up with Horatio and Dix!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:37 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Something chewed them, eh? Nice way to reference one of the most horrible ways to die :D

I love dark humor, and those two feel like two scruffy, smelly, shameless and ultimately lovable (under)dogs. I laughed out loud at the account of Horatio's mom job dedication. Very nicely done, sir!

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:51 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Huey!

Something chewed them, eh? Nice way to reference one of the most horrible ways to die :D

I love dark humor, and those two feel like two scruffy, smelly, shameless and ultimately lovable (under)dogs. I laughed out loud at the account of Horatio's mom job dedication. Very nicely done, sir!

Thank you kindly!

Mrs. OL's question about Horatio's mum was: "Wait -- before, or after... or during?" :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 pm 

So well done there...

Hey, I learned something today!

Anyway, you are correct -- as usual -- to be suspicious, although I admit that my mind was slightly elsewhere. :) The fact that the conversation takes place in a graveyard just made me think of "Hamlet," hence Horatio.

Dix is a little more roundabout, but it's down the same path. I'm actually a really, really big fan of Michael Almereyda's 2000 film version of "Hamlet," with Ethan Hawke and Kyle MacLachlan -- this is a super unpopular choice, but it's probably my favorite adapted "Hamlet." And, in that movie, the gravediggers do not have their canonical speaking parts, but one can be overheard singing a verse from "All Along The Watchtower" to himself as Hamlet walks past. ("There must be some kinda way out of here...") And, while I -- of all people -- know that's a Dylan song, the Hendrix version is the definitive one, so I decided that I would name the other grave robber Drix, as a little nod.

Except that every darn time I went to type "Drix," I accidentally typed "Dix" instead. Which, upon reflection, I decided was actually a better name, anyway. :)

So that's how we ended up with Horatio and Dix!

I don't know...I'm pretty sure I'm right...

:D

And I TOTALLY knew all that stuff about Henry Horatio Dixon before today, and absolutely DIDN'T just look him up on Wikipedia for the first time this morning...

...if that's what you're thinking...

:paranoid:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 pm 

And I TOTALLY knew all that stuff about Henry Horatio Dixon before today, and absolutely DIDN'T just look him up on Wikipedia for the first time this morning...

...if that's what you're thinking...

I would never think such a thing! We all know you to be a veritable font of knowledge about Victorian-era scientists! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 pm 

Red Sky, Pt. 6

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 pm 

Best bath scene in MTG since "Thalia Takes a Bath." Which probably doesn't exist anymore. And, with my memory being what it is, may never have existed in the first place.

Thanks for giving us a check-in with the Hydrodynamic Duo. It's good to hear that Antine wasn't scamming good old Treaker after all!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 pm 

Precarious indeed. Those are staggering numbers, and in all the wrong places.

Back of the envelope calculations

Meanwhile, I'm highly amused by the image of a fox attempting to bathe in a bucketful of water. Seems like the dust would make it do more harm than good; as likely to create clumps of hair as to thin out the grime. And that was their drinking water for the day, too, though they of all people know exactly how valuable that would be just now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm 

Thank you so much for reading, Raven and Brentain! As ever, it is deeply appreciated!

Best bath scene in MTG since "Thalia Takes a Bath." Which probably doesn't exist anymore. And, with my memory being what it is, may never have existed in the first place.

That's a high bar to clear, when it comes to best bath scene! :)

Thanks for giving us a check-in with the Hydrodynamic Duo. It's good to hear that Antine wasn't scamming good old Treaker after all!

Hah, yes! I hoped you'd catch that possible implication! :D Maybe Antine knew something after all! Or maybe -- for what would probably be the first time in his life -- he took a gamble himself, and just happened to be correct.

Anyway, this is sort of a funny little chapter, because it's almost sort of a "previously on...," which almost felt necessary, given how long I've left poor Kitt and Wynn hanging out there in Red Sky. But I do sort of like that it turns out that the crux of their dilemma is not that there isn't any water -- which is sort of what I had assumed way back in chapter one -- but rather that there's so, so much.

On the one hand, Kitt could probably just make her report, collect her fee, and go back to Verkell. That's probably the safest course of action.

On the other hand, she now knows something which no one else knows. And that something is extremely valuable. And we know that Kitt likes money...

Anyway, we'll see! :)

Brentain wrote:
Precarious indeed. Those are staggering numbers, and in all the wrong places.

Back of the envelope calculations

Hah, yes, I'm not surprised that my math turns out to be a little squiffy -- I am not quite as proficient at sums as the quiet Miss Wynn, it seems! I probably did about 5 minutes of Wikipedia research while writing this chapter, just to try to come up with numbers which sounded impressive but weren't, hopefully, insane, and it's not a shock that I'm off by maybe a decimal in one or two spots. I'll probably just tweak the aquifer down to 1.52 million acre-feet, instead of 15.2.

Although, if my shots in the dark put the population of Verkell in the neighborhood of 50,000, then I'm actually kind of pleased with that, because that's around the number I had in mind. I don't think we've ever established a firm population for any of the cities on Jakkard, but my assumption is that they're probably not that big. Although, if I'm off by a decimal point here as well, and someone else can set me straight, I'd love to know the answer!

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm highly amused by the image of a fox attempting to bathe in a bucketful of water. Seems like the dust would make it do more harm than good; as likely to create clumps of hair as to thin out the grime. And that was their drinking water for the day, too, though they of all people know exactly how valuable that would be just now.

Hah, yes, I think this was a pretty ineffectual bath, born more out of frustration than a realistic hope of success. Kitt does not appear to be enjoying her stay in Red Sky, and the absence of a hot bath has been a sticking point from the word go. I just liked the idea of her using her entire water ration -- and Miss Wynn's, too, it should be noted, as well as the fact that Miss Wynn raises no objection -- on a bath, and then ending up just as dirty as she started. I felt like it told me something about Kitt that maybe I hadn't fully known yet -- she has this extravagant, wasteful, self-absorbed side to her, which I was aware of in the abstract, but maybe not so clearly. It's not one of her finer qualities, to be sure...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:07 pm 

Children

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm 

It's interesting, but a part of me pictured this as pre-Mending Lady Nasina. What that does to the ending, of course, is a matter of debate.

The main character's name is CLEARLY a reference to Stebbins, Alaska, town of 556. The connection to this story is...um...so obvious as to not necessitate mentioning.

Thanks for posting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven! As ever, I appreciate it more than I can express!

It's interesting, but a part of me pictured this as pre-Mending Lady Nasina. What that does to the ending, of course, is a matter of debate.

Huh. That's actually a really, really interesting notion! And, like you implied, I think it definitely results in two plausible interpretations of the ending. Hrmm...

The main character's name is CLEARLY a reference to Stebbins, Alaska, town of 556. The connection to this story is...um...so obvious as to not necessitate mentioning.

Hah! This one has literally no connective thread behind it, I confess. :) I am just currently in the process of reading a Nero Wolfe mystery, and Wolfe's two bete noire detectives in that series are Inspector Cramer and Sergeant Stebbins, so I shamelessly cribbed a name from there.

As a simple glance at the calendar will readily inform you, tonight is Monday, not Tuesday, so I am roughly 24 hours ahead of my time. But this week's Tuesday Night Story Club had to be moved forward to Monday, because I'm off on a trip tomorrow, which will put me out of communication for the rest of the week.

So, as wrong as it is, I'll just this once say: Monday, Monday, Monday!

The Rose

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 pm 

Writing a Tuesday Night story, featuring time-manipulating Alessa Rehn, on Monday night? To quote William Shatner in Airplane 2, "I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

It's interesting to see Alessa sort of struggle with what, if anything, to do in this situation. It's like she wants to do the right thing, but she doesn't really have any idea why she wants to do the right thing.

Thanks for posting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 am 

Yeah, that's about where she is right now, with one smaaaaall exception.
She wouldn't waste food, even awful food. Probably throw it to some homeless person.

But yeah, Alessa isn't in a cheery kind of way these days.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm 

Thank you so, so much for reading, Barin and Raven! As ever, your kindness sustains me!

Writing a Tuesday Night story, featuring time-manipulating Alessa Rehn, on Monday night? To quote William Shatner in Airplane 2, "I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

I would love to claim that this was planned, but things just worked out this way. Serendipity is a trip! :)

Barinellos wrote:
But yeah, Alessa isn't in a cheery kind of way these days.

Yeah, that was the sense I've gotten, from our discussions. It's not fun for me to see her like this, but I really do like Alessa, and I've been missing her. :(

Barinellos wrote:
Yeah, that's about where she is right now, with one smaaaaall exception.
She wouldn't waste food, even awful food. Probably throw it to some homeless person.

That's a crossed wire on my part, then. I'll have to see if I can sub in a more in-character ending.

Hey, we're back to our regularly-scheduled cry of Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday! :D

The Mirror

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next