It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm 

Skibo the First wrote:
Technically, none of the voting threads have matured. (All of them are still under deadline).

But i'll make a new bylaw that says:

If a voting thread has gone 3 or more days without a post, it will be considered mature. (Granted that at least three council members have voted on them)

I hope this is agreeable with everyone. (Deadlines will still remain)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

By this new rule, all voting threads are now mature.
… and then, the squirrels came.

I presume the last bit was his signature

Is it better or worse if it was or was not?

Also, Holy balls I forgot Skibo was ever a person.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Also, Holy balls I forgot Skibo was ever a person.

What, you didn't keep up with the ReM:EMbering Seasons thread?

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 pm 

Hello, everyone, and welcome to another Highlighted M:EMory.

This week, we will be reM:EMbering "The Pale Priestess," by RavenoftheBlack.

"The Pale Priestess" was originally posted on May 26th, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on July 20th, 2015. This is the story of a mysterious warrior simply called the Hero as he tries to lead the Freedom's Corps against the cult-like forces of an equally mysterious figure, the titular Pale Priestess. The Pale Priestess seems to control the very minds of her forces, and they control nearly half of the plane of Navoya. The Freedom's Corps is a resistance alliance comprised of most of the rest of the plane. This story features Kinechu, a high-ranking officer in the Freedom's Corps, as he follows the Hero on his march to stop the Priestess at the last bastion of neutrality on the plane. But are things truly as cut and dry as they seem?

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am 

In December of 2014, I finished work on The War of the Wheel, which of course had dominated my creative endeavors for most of that year. It was five months before I returned to any of the characters in that piece, when Denner Fabellian checked in with us via the first story in his Poison Arc, "Pick Your Poison." Having returned to one of the characters with which I had spent so much time, I decided that there were some others that I would like to use again. And, as someone who has a tendency to write for villains more than most right-thinking people, I was drawn to the question of what had become of the Dual-Walkers Syl and Chardis after their defeat at the hands of the Arbagoth Eight.

While writing WotW, there were times when I wasn't sure whether or not any given character was going to survive the story, and that includes the Rulus. Once I decided that they were, in fact, going to live, I occasionally wondered what they would do after they had lost The Wheel. The answer was fairly simple for characters like Syl and Chardis; they would find a new plane to conquer.

This story began with its title. The name "The Pale Priestess" popped into my head one day, and I tried to decide what that story would be like. I eventually settled on the primary figure in some sort of cult, but I didn't get much further than that. I do not, sadly, remember much about how and when these two stories, the titled story that had basically no plot and the untitled story about Syl and Chardis taking over a plane, merged into one. Once it did, though, I decided on this concept of the Rulus playing both sides against the middle. It reminds me, in some ways, of the book Ender's Game, where "Locke" and "Demosthenes" manipulate the populous. Here, we see the same thing where the Pale Priestess seems to have influence over a large section of the people on Navoya, and the Hero seems to have control over most of the rest of them.

Some people said they were curious about the naming convention I used for this story. It was kind of an odd one, I admit. In this case, I used Google Translate. This time, I opted for Russian. The protagonist's name, Kinechu, is the English-ized version of the Russian word for "disciple," which Translate tells me is "uchenik," which I wrote mostly backwards. I liked the effect. Mogush's name is derived from one of the Russian words for "Capable," and Kozarod, a satyr, is derived from Russian from "goat beard." The first city mentioned is Prevgorod, which is taken from "first town," Votroy from "second," Teverty "third," Goraput means "mountain pass," and the name of the plane itself comes from the Russian for "New Land."

Anyway, I hope people enjoyed this one!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:09 pm 

Howdy, y'all, and welcome to another Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be catching the "3:15 to Dayko," by OrcishLibrarian.

"3:15 to Dayko" was originally posted on January 12th, 2015, and voted into the Archive on May 3rd, 2015. The story features Jackie DeCoeur in a good, old-fashioned train heist. But this time, there is something of far greater value than gold or steel, because the 3:15 to Dayko is a passenger train that no one buys a ticket to ride, and nobody would want to. This story takes place well before the events of other Jackie stories like "Love and Theft" and "Red Eyes," and features Jackie's reunion with a good friend, and her meeting with two others who would become good friends.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm 

Howdy, y'all, and welcome to another Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be catching the "3:15 to Dayko," by OrcishLibrarian.

"3:15 to Dayko" was originally posted on January 12th, 2015, and voted into the Archive on May 3rd, 2015. The story features Jackie DeCoeur in a good, old-fashioned train heist. But this time, there is something of far greater value than gold or steel, because the 3:15 to Dayko is a passenger train that no one buys a ticket to ride, and nobody would want to. This story takes place well before the events of other Jackie stories like "Love and Theft" and "Red Eyes," and features Jackie's reunion with a good friend, and her meeting with two others who would become good friends.

Enjoy!

It's ridiculous how happy it makes me whenever one of my old stories gets reM:EMbered, because it gives me an excuse to revisit happy times! :)

Anyway, if memory serves, this particular story sprang from the confluence of a couple different -- and completely coincidental! -- lines of through, which just happened to cross each other at around the same time.

My recollection is that the ground for this story was laid around the time that I was working on "A Name in a Book" and "The Fire" -- both of which are some of my favorite stories I've worked on, and were tremendously fun to write, but both of which were also really heavy, emotionally-speaking, and also very heavy, prose-wise, in so much as they involved a lot of descriptive text, and careful plotting. And, in the same way that I sort of found myself wanting to work on something which was emotionally lighter -- and which led to "Climb Every Mountain" -- I also found myself wanting to work on something which was narratively lighter -- something that was very much driven by forward action, as opposed to plot. And that immediately made me want to write a Jakkard story -- something sort of in the tradition of pulpy, Zane Grey westerns, where the bullets start flying, and everything just sort of runs from there.

And I think that planted the seed for me that I wanted to write a story set on a train, where the entirety of the "plot" is really just Jackie shooting her way from the back to the front. It's hard to come up with a more obvious metaphor for linear action and forward motion, and, being an obvious sort of person, my mind went there. :)

Now, at around the same time, I remember that Luna posted about a sort of surrealistic dream that he'd had, one of the features of which had been that he had to fight (on a train, even, if memory serves!) these two sorcerers who had strange powers over paper, and who could disappear into swirls of the stuff. And that sort of chimed so serendipitously with this ambition that I already had that I seem to recall I immediately messaged Luna, and asked him if I could shamelessly steal lovingly borrow these characters to use in a Jackie story. Which I did. :D

The next little influence came from one of my favorite episodes of Archer, in which Archer gets to live out his life-long dream of getting into a chase on top of a train, only to realize that -- despite what movies would lead you to believe -- getting into a chase on top of a train is not such a great thing.

"Why does anybody do this?" Archer demands of nobody in particular. "I mean, you're still on the train!"

"I know, right?" says the guy Archer's chasing. "Except now you've got all this to deal with, too!" he adds, as they both have to duck to avoid an oncoming tunnel.

So I decided that I wanted Jackie to spend at least part of the story on top of the moving train, because then she'd have all that to deal with, too. :)

Now, the last bit of inspiration comes from the name. There's a famous Elmore Leonard short story, called "Three-Ten to Yuma," about a lawman who has been tasked with seeing a dangerous criminal aboard the titular train, which will take him to the Yuma Territorial Prison. It's probably the best of Leonard's western stories, from back when he was still writing for the dime magazines, and it's been adapted into movies twice. So the title "3:15 to Dayko" is a little homage to one of my favorite writers of all time, and I sort of inverted the plot -- instead of a story about a lawman trying to get a criminal onto a prison train, I wrote a story about an outlaw trying to break a criminal out of a prison train.

And, from there, I just sort of started writing, and made the rest of it up as I went. Which is how I usually do things. :D

My original "vision" for the story -- thin as it was -- didn't include either Dazie, or Hush-Hush. They just sort of showed up along the way. I remember writing about the mysterious, lead-lined cell, without having any clue as to what was inside of it, when I started thinking about the paper-shooting twins, and twins in general. Now, I've gotten the sense from Hush-Hush that there's something funny about Jakkard when it comes to an overabundance of weird twins, and so it sort of made sense that, if I already had one extraordinary set of twins in the story, I could have a second one as well. And, when I was asking myself, "what could possibly be so dangerous that someone would have to transport it locked inside an enchanted, lead-lined cell," Hush-Hush seemed like they'd actually fit that bill. And I had not that long ago written the little Hush-Hush microfic that appears in "Six-Shooter," in which we get our only (to this date) glimpse inside the inner working of Hush-Hush's shared consciousness. So I sort of reverse-engineered the incident from "Six-Shooter" into this story, only now we see it from Jackie's point of view, instead of Hush-Hush.

And, once I was into the territory of Jackie-meets-her-gang as a plot device, it sort of made sense for Dazie to slide in as well, as the main Maguffin for why Jackie was on the train. And, although I didn't realize it at the time, Jackie's conversation with Dazie about their mutual falling-out with Diamond Jane would inadvertently help to lay the groundwork for more stories to come.

Anyway, there's a lot I like about this story! But I have to confess that, in one, specific regard, "3:15 to Dayko" failed. When I sat down, and told myself that I was going to write an Action Story, with a capital-A, the vow I made to myself was this: "Jackie DeCoeur will shoot someone in the very first sentence, and we'll go from there."

Now, that seems like a simple enough commission, but, looking back, I find that Jackie DeCoeur does not fire her revolver until the story's second sentence. And, even then, she misses.

There's some irony in that, I think. :D

Anyway, I hope other people enjoyed reading this story even a fraction as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 pm 

So, bad news, everyone. After nearly two and a half years of doing these Highlighted M:EMories, I might not be able to do one today. I've been very busy with the move, and then, when I went to do this week's entry, I found that apparently, last week I saved my list incorrectly and clobbered by "Not Yet ReM:EMbered" list. It's not that hard to get back, but it's going to be tedious and time-consuming, and I just don't think I'll have the time tonight.

Sorry everyone. I will try to get one up tonight if I can, or if not, then sometime this week, but I have other things I need to take care of first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:15 pm 

Are you folks ready to get a little wild?

I hope so, because this week's highlighted M:EMory is: "Wild Card," by Barinellos.

"Wild Card" was originally posted on July 7th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on July 18th, 2014. This is the third story to feature Alessa Rehn, who we met in "Live for the Moment," and whose backstory was revealed and explored in "Gifts." In this story, Alessa finds herself on Jakkard, and during the course of her everyday activities of cheating at cards, she finds herself on the wrong side of a very powerful, very dangerous personage of some distinction. This story, indirectly and in part, sets up the events of "Complications," wherein Alessa Rehn catches the eye of Beryl Nameless.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 pm 

So, bad news, everyone. After nearly two and a half years of doing these Highlighted M:EMories, I might not be able to do one today. I've been very busy with the move, and then, when I went to do this week's entry, I found that apparently, last week I saved my list incorrectly and clobbered by "Not Yet ReM:EMbered" list. It's not that hard to get back, but it's going to be tedious and time-consuming, and I just don't think I'll have the time tonight.

Sorry everyone. I will try to get one up tonight if I can, or if not, then sometime this week, but I have other things I need to take care of first.

Thanks for running this thread, Raven. It's like getting a little present at the end of each week, and I know it's more work than it seems to do it week-in, week-out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 pm 

Thanks for running this thread, Raven. It's like getting a little present at the end of each week, and I know it's more work than it seems to do it week-in, week-out.

I'm glad you enjoy it! I definitely think this thread has served the purpose for which it was intended. It's just so rare, outside of these highlights, that we get to talk about older works the way we do with new ones. And, considering our perspectives (both personal and of the project) change over time, it's unfortunate that we rarely have an opportunity to discuss them.

I mean, sure, there's nothing saying that we can't bump an old story from time to time to discuss it. But that just rarely happens, and this thread gives us an excuse to do that.

In terms of the work to run it, it's really not bad. Mostly, it's just record-keeping. I have an excel spreadsheet of all the stories that have been uploaded to the Archive (so this is not everything in the Archive, but rather what is currently there) and this spreadsheet has two sheets, one with the complete list and one where I delete the ones we've already highlighted. So it was a lot of work on the front end, but these days it's just sort of doing a quick random number generator, making sure that I don't do a story too close to another by the same author, and then writing up the blurb. All in all, it takes maybe 15 or 20 minutes out of my Sunday, which is well worth it.

This week, though, I had screwed up the "Not Yet ReM:EMbered" sheet. But it was fairly easily fixed; easier than I thought it would be, so I was able to get it done.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm 

oh hell, I forgot I need to talk about this one!
....uhhh... I'll be back in a bit!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:49 am 

Okay! Sorry, delays and other... distractions made me slip right out in commenting sooner, so... to proceed!

I did a lot of construction on Jakkard. Like... A LOT, but the irony is the romance never really resonated with me, really. Hell, my favorite western, if you charitably call it that, is Maverick. The wastes would be a very different place if I hadn't plugged in my bits to it. Which is all preamble to say, despite how much I kicked around the ideas, this is the only significant Jakkard story I've done. I have an idea for another, but it might ring a bit overambitious simply because I dunno how much I can pare down and it'd be a big undertaking otherwise. But back to this story.

This was a proverbial opening salvo to nail down one of the grandpappy of all western tropes. The Land Baron.
But I had to play the cards close to my chest and I needed another vehicle for Alessa after the, quite frankly disastrous debut she had. Now I love my little minx, as much a scroundrel as she is, but I'd felt I'd done her wrong (and I'd still amend this and that about this piece, but mostly some details) so penning another story seemed the letter of apology called for.

And in that, I felt I got it right, unlike before. There's enough glimpses into her character and her past to really get into her boots for a bit, but I honestly indulged in a few things too. Namely, my contributions to Jakkard that had otherwise gone a bit dusty. Spellguns, leylines, the djinn, I packed it all in, much as I could. I apologize for absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, there were two parts to this story I spent more attention on than basically anything else. The first was screwing around with things Wizards wanted to bury. The Ante cards. Because how the hell would I do a card game without a tongue in cheek references to ante cards?

The second was the visceral impact of Alessa's panic attack. I've had them. They SUCK. I wanted to convey that raw sort of emotion, partly because I wasn't fooling around with it, but also because of the opportunity to make such a powerfully evocative scene.

...as I consider things, I think this might have been the grand appearance of the Duchess to start too. In which case, it was also a need to finally play with the toys I'd drop into our toy chest too, really get them out there considering the HUGE period between inception and execution.

So, those are my, largely, freeflowing thoughts on the piece.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:06 pm 

The Sun is, of course, the greatest source of light to us, and today, on its day, let us take a moment to think about the subject of light and, of course, shadow.

Why? Because this week, we will be looking at: "Every Light Casts a Shadow," by RuwinReborn.

"Every Light Casts a Shadow" was originally posted on January 23rd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on March 1st, 2015. It serves as an introduction to two intertwined beings, two sides of the same coin, the light of Sister Verity and the shadow that is Leon. This story alternates between the story of Verity and Leon's origins, and a story set in the wilds of Dammerdall, where we see how the two operate, and what they are capable of, now that their training is completed.

This story had some particularly heavy and potentially triggering subject matter, particularly ritualistic child abuse and transphobia, so please be aware of that before reading.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 pm 

I don't recall having encountered this one before, which means my previous exposure to Sister Verity and Leon was through the much lighter-hearted Angelsong. This gives much more insight into their origins, and makes me wonder what kind of organization would do that to people. To Leon in particular, but also to Verity, saddling her with guilt for saying and doing as she had been taught.

The part that affected me most was that final "Am I evil?" And I couldn't answer that any more than Verity did. It feels like the morality has been beaten out of him, but his reliance on Verity's light seems to make up for that.

But then the parallel with Elizabeth's life hits, where that question would have a much more obvious answer to most of us. Sadly, different answers feel obvious to different people, which is probably why many in similar situations would ask it of themselves. And perhaps the answer shouldn't be so clear, particularly to those relying on gut feelings.

And how many organizations would benefit from asking that question of themselves?

Then again, I've seen a few drawbacks arise from questioning oneself too much.

Both as an introduction to a few interesting characters and as a thought-provoking moral quandary, this is an excellent piece.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:46 am 

One interesting thing about this story is its unique relationship with the plane of Dammerdall. See, Ruwin wrote this story shortly before I designed that plane, and as I was designing it, I realized that the things Ruwin had used (Idunnasburg, the Lion's Roar river, heavily forested region) fit perfectly into what I was trying to do with Dammerdall (which was to make a plane based on medieval Germany, or more specifically based on the medieval Germany presented in the early 90s video game Darklands.)

I approached Ruwin to see if he was alright with me sort of retroactively putting this story on Dammerdall, and he had no problem with that. While this story doesn't need to be set on Dammerdall (and to be clear, only the "present-day" parts of the story are) this did inform a number of elements that went into Dammerdall, specifically the Blue Fever (which people fear Denner might have in "Pick Your Poison") and the basic religious intolerance of the plane as exemplified by Elizabeth's brother's reactions to her.

So, while this story could certainly exist without Dammerdall, and Dammerdall could certainly exist without this story, I am glad the two are now linked, and I'm glad Ruwin wrote this piece!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hello and welcome to another week in the M:EM! And what do we do when it's another week in the M:EM? We look at another M:EMory. So let's get to it.

This week, we will be examining the process of "Evolution," by Tevish Szat.

"Evolution" was originally posted April 2nd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on April 26th, 2015. It is the fourth of Tevish's Ravnica series. This one focuses on the Simic Combine as they continue their overarching pursuit of combining things with other things to make new things. This story follows the unfortunate story of Maksim, and encourages the reader to watch how the character evolves throughout the story. The other stories in the Ravnica series are "Debt," "Vigilance," "Savagery," and "Revel."

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 pm 

I'll be honest, of the five current stories in my Ravnica series, this is my least favorite. In all the others there's an element of motivation and emotion to the horror, in this one... I tried to evoke an alien abduction story, and I think I did that well in terms of the tropes but I missed the critical point of where the victim's return to society grounds them in a way that becoming a horrific fusion doesn't. The ruin wrought by mad science is only so horrific.

It's a problem that I aim to not repeat in my story for the Izzet, when I get back to this (which I suppose should be before we inevitably go back to Ravnica again).

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:06 pm 

Sunday is here, and you know what? We don't reM:EMber enough dossiers around here! So let's do that now, shall we?

This week, we will be highlighting: "Raleris, the Lorekeeper," by Trolljuju.

The character of "Raleris, the Lorekeeper" was originally posted way back on the old boards in the early months of the M:EM. On April 20th, 2011, the dossier was voted into the Archive, along with Raleris's first story appearance, "Ariva, the City of Wonders," also by Trolljuju. After this point, Raleris sort of passed from Trolljuju's hands and into KeeperofManyNames' hand, who first (along with Barinellos) used the Lorekeeper as a framing device in the story/dossier of "Rishima, Queen of the Black Sands," and then in his own starring role in "To Call the World to Heel." Keeper then wrote Raleris along with RavenoftheBlack in "Breaking Form," wherein the character comes into conflict with Raiker Venn and also meets Jade. Raleris has also been seen attending "A Wedding on Aralheim," visiting a "Lady beneath the Mountain," and talking Jade through some "Dreams and Nightmares."

For an old man with a deadly disease, he sure gets around!

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm 

Happy Sunday, and a Merry Christmas Eve! Let's celebrate by reM:EMbering something!

This week, let's look back at: "Tales of the Dominia Cabal: Lucien," by RavenoftheBlack.

"Tales of the Dominia Cabal: Lucien" was originally posted on July 21st, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on August 16th, 2015. This story features the Dominia Cabal, which had been developed by the M:EM Community roughly a year earlier. The story features several members of the Cabal as they investigate the plane of Pythdon, a plane that is supposedly under their control. Word has come down to the member of the Cabal, however, that a new god has emerged on their plane, and they are not happy about it. And just what happens when a several powerful oldwalkers duel over control of a plane? Let's find out!

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:01 pm 

What a choice to celebrates the festival of lights with

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next