It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 am 

Quiet Lia
Planeswalker - Lia
: Reveal the top card of your library. If it has a different name from every permanent you control and every card in your graveyard, put it into your hand.
: Create a white Writ enchantment token with "1W, Sacrifice this enchantment: Target attacking unblocked creature becomes blocked. Draw a card."
: Create a blue Writ enchantment token with "UU, Sacrifice this enchantment: Counter target spell."
: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are twenty or more different names among permanents you control, you win the game."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am 

Another week has come and gone, and so once again the calendar demands a new M:EMory!

This week, we will be reM:EMbering "Poetic License," by RavenoftheBlack.

"Poetic License" was originally posted on May 30th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive a month later, on June 30th, 2014. It is the third story to feature the character of Raiker Venn, the dashing, debonair, and deplorable Gentleman Poet of Dominia. This story serves as the first time in a story that Raiker's mask slips a bit, revealing more of his true self than he ever had in the past. This story follows closely after the events of Raiker Venn's introduction story, "The Jaded Cat," occurring only two days after Venn's reading of the titular poem in the 'Lark's Fable' tavern. Raiker Venn also appears in "The Destitute Seeker," "The Curse of Verse," "Here, There Be Monsters," "Breaking Form," "Unmasking at Midnight," "Nesting Dolls," and "Change of Heart."

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:32 am 

Poetry of Tragedy
Enchantment
When Poetry of Tragedy enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, secretly predict dead or alive for each creature on the battlefield, then reveal the previous predictions made. For each correct prediction, choose one -
* Draw a card, then discard a card.
* You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life.
* Poetry of Tragedy deals 1 damage to target creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Interesting card, but can force a remarkable amount of bookkeeping for, say, a swarm deck :D

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 am 

Yeah, there is basically no way this card would be printed (except perhaps in an online-only set and with a nontoken rider), but I didn't want to do two planeswalkers in a row, here. I'm also not quite happy with the "predict" wording, since
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 am 

Knight Otu wrote:
Yeah, there is basically no way this card would be printed (except perhaps in an online-only set and with a nontoken rider), but I didn't want to do two planeswalkers in a row, here.

I would add that the last thing Raiker seems to want is a fight where he has a fair chance of losing, so I feel like Raiker-related cards are more tuned to his behavior: marginal interventions to steer fate where he wants it.

Quote:
Raiker doesn't predict. He makes sure.

It surely feels that way, thought Raven has already confirmed Raiker is not infallible and sometimes doesn't handle well failures. For those reasons, I quite like the concept of predicting.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 pm 

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that he's infallible, just that he, as you say, doesn't play fair.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

Knight Otu wrote:
Poetry of Tragedy
Enchantment
When Poetry of Tragedy enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, secretly predict dead or alive for each creature on the battlefield, then reveal the previous predictions made. For each correct prediction, choose one -
* Draw a card, then discard a card.
* You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life.
* Poetry of Tragedy deals 1 damage to target creature.

OK, so I've been meaning to post to this thread for quite some time, there's a lot of back talking both of my own stuff and others that I've meant to do but just haven't managed to compose. But one thing I can do quickly is try to workshop this into a printable form, because I LOVE the idea of it

Poetry of Tragedy
Enchantment
When Poetry of Tragedy enters the battlefield and at the beginning of each upkeep, secretly choose a nontoken creature you don't control and predict whether or not it will still be on the battlefield, then reveal the previous prediction made. If your prediction is correct, choose one -
* Draw a card.
* Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life
* If the predicted creature is on the battlefield, it fights target creature
* If the predicted creature isn't on the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:55 pm 

If we're gonna do this with printing in mind...

I'm not knowledgeable enough in rulespeak to judge the prediction wording, but maybe the new version should cost at least 1 less. I mean, every turn you MIGHT get one of four effects, each of them with a value of a 1-mana spell or less; the insanely strong point of the previous version was that with a stalling or disadvantageous board you could predict "everything dies", cast a Damnation and reap 10+ life from your opponent, even without taking token shenanigans into account.

According to the options the player chooses, they have the CHANCE of using it like one of the following:
-an empowered Phyrexian Arena (3 mana)
-a bodyless Drana's Emissary (3 mana)
-Innocent Blood/The Abyss (1 mana spell/4 mana enchant)
-the fighting option, which may be a bit over the remaining average as it may select two creatures you don't control for the fight.

Everything considered, I'd say to lower the cost to 2BR and tinker a bit with the last option I mentioned.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 am 

That is an improvement to my attempt, no doubt (especially going with on the battlefield/not on the battlefield vs my dead/alive). I agree with Huey that the cost could be reduced to 2BR, if the fight option is reworked, because as it stands, it's pretty much Blood Feud.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:50 am 

I wrote the fight option before changing the targeting to creatures you don't control, so the fight should probably be "Fights target creature you control" or maybe "Fights target creature with a different controller" to make it more threatening in multiplayer (Though firing every upkeep already does that).

~~~
About Homecoming (Yes I've been sitting on doing a commentary on this thread for that long)

One of my biggest regrets about Illarion's saga is that Homecoming is followed directly by Corrosion. There are literally years between those stories where Illarion and Kyara are traveling the multiverse and having adventures, but because I realized I was getting stuck on those stories, I eventually gave up on doing everything in a perfectly chronological order and raced forward to Corrosion. I almost did something similar again, in the hangtime between "The Ring" and "A Wedding on Aralheim", but I'd grown as a writer and was able to do a good deal better at delivering the necessary pacing to make that final big story land with the buildup that it deserved. I still have some idle dreams of writing some of those stories, like Illarion meeting Ren Winmoore, but I've got a tangled web of work in my future so I'm not sure when or even if I'll look to the past. Maybe I'll write one (even if not the Ren one) if I ever get around to working towards an Anthology for the Illarion/Wedding arc.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm 

Just by coincidence, I was thinking about the Illarion arc just last night.

Something about Denner's arc made me want to map out timeline indications with all the connected stories. I suspect that "A Wedding on Aralheim" occurs before "Breaking Form" (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), though I have only post order to determine whether the latter comes before or after "Here, There Be Monsters" and/or "Unmasking at Midnight." Having a whole section already mapped out was a breath of fresh air.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:29 am 

Hello, my friends. Another Sunday morning is upon us, and so it is time for another Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be reclaiming the M:EMory of "Reclamation," by OrcishLibrarian.

"Reclamation" was originally posted on January 28th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on June 15th, 2014. This story features Beryl the Heart-Scarred as she returns to Aliavelli for the first time after her fateful 'walk from there, an event that occurred when her Spark ignited in a perhaps more literal-than-usual manner. The story takes the form primarily of a conversation between Beryl and her sister Astria. "Reclamation" is the fourth story in Beryl's arc, following after "Small Magic," "A Bet on Kindness," and "To Walk Across Fire," and is followed by "Friends and Killers," and "The Lies We Tell," "Complications," "Between Two Worlds," "A Name in a Book," "The Fire," "Climb Every Mountain," and "Paid in Full."

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 pm 

Wow. Was it really that long ago? It was that long ago, wasn't it...

Somehow, it feels like ancient history, and yet it also feels like yesterday. Time plays that trick on me all the damn time...

I'll have to see if I can dig up the original thread from when I first posted this story, because I expect that I talked everyone's ear off at the time, and I suspect that I said most about everything back then that was worth saying. The main thing I remember about this piece now was that it was a very odd experience to sort of walk a mile in Astria's stilettos, having only seen things from Beryl's POV up until then. I think what sort of shocked me the most was how reasonable Astria seemed, from within the confines of her own, twisted worldview.

On the one hand, that made her a bit sympathetic -- I could understand how she ended up the way she did, and it wasn't hard to imagine that, had things gone a bit differently, she could have walked a much different path.

On the other hand, it made her more scary to me. Because she wasn't evil in an elemental sense of the word. She was evil in a much more human, a much more banal way. She was scared, and she was self-absorbed, and she was cruel. Those are all human traits. To quote a song, she had no horns sticking out, she had no sting in her tail. She was just human. Heartless, but human.

I know I've spoken before -- on plenty of different occasions -- about how much of an impact "A Christmas Carol" had on me growing up, and how much I can see its influence in a lot of my stories. "Borderline obsessed" might actually be a more accurate term for it. And the name of this particular story -- "Reclamation" -- is straight out of "A Christmas Carol." It's a word I learned from the Ghost of Christmas Past, and, while the ghost does speak the word in Dickens' original text, it's the somewhat different version of her exchange with Scrooge from 1984 TV adaptation which still gives me a little chill each time I hear it.

Maybe this isn't verbatim, but this is how I remember it:

SCROOGE: What business brings you to me?
GHOST: It is for your welfare that I have come, Ebenezer.
SCROOGE: [laughing] I can think of no better welfare than a night of uninterrupted sleep.
GHOST: Be careful, Ebenezer. I speak of your reclamation.
SCROOGE: Well, if it's reclamation, then let's get on with it.

And that's where the title of this story came from. I sort of had that moment in mind as I was thinking about Beryl and Astria, together in that room, and what they might say to each other. Because, much like Christmas Past, Beryl's visitation to Astria is a warning, a warning that (wo)men's courses will foreshadow certain ends, and that it is only if those courses be departed from that those shadows of the future may change. And Beryl -- bless her -- still loves her sister, and still believes in her heart, as much as she may hate to admit it, that Astria can change, that she -- Beryl -- can change her. That reclamation is possible, if only Astria can be made to see, and to open up her shut-up heart.

But of course Astria doesn't change. It may well be that Astria can't change. By the time this meeting comes, she is just too far gone. To use an analogy which Beryl herself will use later, there's just not enough of Astria left, beneath the cruelty, and the jealousy, and the scars. That Astria died long ago. Or maybe she never even existed. We never really get the chance to find out.

Reclamation is not on the cards. Not for Astria, anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:14 pm 

"A Christmas Carol," you say? Hmm. This is some kind of comic strip, yes? I don't think I've ever heard of it...

:paranoid:

Anyway, here's the link to the original thread you mentioned.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:05 pm 

The main thing I remember about this piece now was that it was a very odd experience to sort of walk a mile in Astria's stilettos, having only seen things from Beryl's POV up until then. I think what sort of shocked me the most was how reasonable Astria seemed, from within the confines of her own, twisted worldview.

On the one hand, that made her a bit sympathetic -- I could understand how she ended up the way she did, and it wasn't hard to imagine that, had things gone a bit differently, she could have walked a much different path.

On the other hand, it made her more scary to me. Because she wasn't evil in an elemental sense of the word. She was evil in a much more human, a much more banal way. She was scared, and she was self-absorbed, and she was cruel. Those are all human traits. To quote a song, she had no horns sticking out, she had no sting in her tail. She was just human. Heartless, but human.

This hits home to me, because I'm currently raising a child with very similar personality traits, even beyond those listed here. (Certain physical traits too, come to think of it.) My spouse and I are trying desperately to encourage the positive aspects of that personality type, but it's a vicious slog to overcome the influence of peers, especially the tendency to stooge for the most powerful bully around.

I can only hope that Moira could have guided Astria to a better adulthood, if only because that means we still have a chance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 pm 

Brentain wrote:
The main thing I remember about this piece now was that it was a very odd experience to sort of walk a mile in Astria's stilettos, having only seen things from Beryl's POV up until then. I think what sort of shocked me the most was how reasonable Astria seemed, from within the confines of her own, twisted worldview.

This hits home to me, because I'm currently raising a child with very similar personality traits, even beyond those listed here. (Certain physical traits too, come to think of it.) My spouse and I are trying desperately to encourage the positive aspects of that personality type, but it's a vicious slog to overcome the influence of peers, especially the tendency to stooge for the most powerful bully around.

I can only hope that Moira could have guided Astria to a better adulthood, if only because that means we still have a chance.

I've been trying to figure out what -- if anything -- I can usefully say in reply, because I feel tremendously anxious drawing any parallels between my stories and real life, because my stories are just make-believe, and I would be sick inside if I thought that anybody was losing sleep over them. (Anybody other than me, anyway!)

But, I mean, for whatever it's worth, I don't just think you have a chance -- I think you're going to be a tremendous parent, through and through, and I think that's the best influence that any child can hope to have.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:20 am 

Hello, all! It's Sunday again, and that means, yet again, a new Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be glimpsing into the "Shadows," by Barinellos.

"Shadows" was originally posted on April 27th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on November 11th, 2015. The story chronicles the beginnings of an ancient feud between Zhiran, the powerful Archmage, and Rishima, a sphinx planeswalker of dark and terrible magic. Rishima was first introduced in "Queen of the Black Sands," and Zhiran in "Loss," but here, we see what happens when two powerful planeswalkers collide in the shadows.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am 

Attention! The time has come for another M:EMory. Let's get right into it.

This week, we will be taking a cold, hard look at "Vigilance," by Tevish Szat.

"Vigilance" was originally posted March 29th, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on April 12th, 2015. The second of Tevish's Ravnica series, this story focused on the Boros Legion as they fight for law and order on the streets of the sprawling city-plane. The other stories in the thematically connected series are "Debt," "Savagery," "Evolution," and "Revel."

Enjoy, and remember, to quote Truong Van Dinh, "The price of freedom is eternal Vigilance."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:41 am 

I had seen a couple of these, but not all of them. As a whole, it's amazing to see the different value systems play against each other, and in ways that conflict with my own. At some point, it might be interesting to talk these over with my children, as they develop their own ethics.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next