It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am 

Identity: Human
@ Barinellos: :cry: My deepest condolences. I personally know how rough that can be. I'm here if you wanted to talk, okay?

--------

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The internet is a strange place. You can invest so much of yourself into a place or community, and some day it just goes away and everything you put into it is lost. Just makes me thankful once again that we could salvage as much of the wotc forums as we did.

Personally, I've never seen this as intrinsically tied to the Wired. It might be because I have lived out in nowheresville most of my life and was raised on the road before the current age of connectivity, but I've always seen communities and friendships as transient, easily lost things. Now that I've been going to conventions, that feeling has come back as I meet and befriend people I expect to never see again (made all the more pertinent by the fact the last convention I went to has shut its doors).

So, honestly, I've been thinking that maybe we need to have a re-think about how we're handling voting these days.

At the moment, we have a substantial proportion of the M:EMbership who have a lot of analog-world responsibilities making demands upon their time, and one of the notable consequences of that has been that votes are continually going stale. It seems like it's more common that not that votes have to get extended due to low turnout -- and, in many cases, extended again, and again, and again.

That's not super kind to the authors, who have to watch their pieces sit in limbo, without knowing when it will end. And it's especially rough for people like Raven, who vote consistently, because it means that when they submit a piece on which they have to abstain, that makes it so much harder to get a quorum of votes one way or the other.

So, I'm thinking that, if this pattern holds, we need to rethink the system.

I'd suggest extend the voting period to a month instead of a week. Votes just don't close in one week right now, and I'd suggest that we just kind of bow to reality, and give people more time. I'd also suggest that we always have voting once a month, starting on the first day of each month. That would make it predictable as well. And, with the current pace of submissions, I don't think we'll have bottlenecks. Then, at the end of the month, the vote closes, quorum or no, and the piece is in unless there was a majority against.

I approve, at least as a temporary measure. There'll be time to revert the change in the future.

That does sound like a good idea, as long as you all give me the leniency of " the first week of every month" since I'm semi-regularly forgetting Sundays as it is. I feel part of the voting problem is that our pool has shrank over the last year, as well. I think there's just about a dozen capable voters and, as OL points out, many have gotten tied up in duties of the Meat, to say nothing of just general disinterest in voting from some M:EMbers (myself included).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm 

@ Barinellos: May you find comfort by the time it fully hits, and peace in the future.

I feel part of the voting problem is that our pool has shrank over the last year, as well. I think there's just about a dozen capable voters and, as OL points out, many have gotten tied up in duties of the Meat, to say nothing of just general disinterest in voting from some M:EMbers (myself included).

It would probably help if I got around to becoming a voting M:EMber too, I suppose. Whoa, has it really been over a year since "The Why"?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:57 pm 

Brentain wrote:
I feel part of the voting problem is that our pool has shrank over the last year, as well. I think there's just about a dozen capable voters and, as OL points out, many have gotten tied up in duties of the Meat, to say nothing of just general disinterest in voting from some M:EMbers (myself included).

It would probably help if I got around to becoming a voting M:EMber too, I suppose. Whoa, has it really been over a year since "The Why"?

Yeah, time really does fly, or at least run fast.

I would be absolutely, unequivocally, all for voting "The Why" into the Archive and you officially into the M:EM. I've really appreciated your contributions to the project, and would love to make it all official.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I would be absolutely, unequivocally, all for voting "The Why" into the Archive and you officially into the M:EM. I've really appreciated your contributions to the project, and would love to make it all official.

I wouldn't mind either! :)

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 pm 

I wouldn't mind either! :)

Hear, hear!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 am 

Once again, thank you all for the sympathy.
Thought everyone might like an update.
We rescued a pair of pooches named Samson and Bella today and they're very sweet dogs.
The cat is responding... tolerantly and neither of the doggos seem to want to ruffle her fur.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Once again, thank you all for the sympathy.
Thought everyone might like an update.
We rescued a pair of pooches named Samson and Bella today and they're very sweet dogs.
The cat is responding... tolerantly and neither of the doggos seem to want to ruffle her fur.

I'm curious what "rescued" in this context means. Because if it were my family, it would just be random dogs on the side of the road or something that no one seems to be looking for. Hell, we had a big ol' rottweiler for years who literally ran away and joined the circus. She wandered up to my mom one day while she was washing a horse, a broken chain WAY too thin for a dog her size dragging from the collar, and nobody on the lot knew where it might come from and even the local sheriff didn't have anything, so we figure with a chain as small and short as she had, whomever she ran away from wasn't treating her right.

Well, that got rambly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I went to a viewing and a funeral this weekend. A friend and neighbor recently passed, and there was an absolutely huge turnout. The funeral ended up being standing room only, there were so many people, in a town of about 5,000. It didn't really affect me too hard because I had never been particularly close to her, but her family considers me "part of the family" and were very grateful for my coming to pay respects and all. Also I learned that cooking for the bereaved is apparently a norm, so I did some of that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 pm 

We picked them up from the shelter. We didn't know it initially, but they were turned in together, so it was serendipitous they were picked individually.
Bella is a rottweiler/labrador mix, while Samson is a lab/mastiff mutt.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 am 

What did the scheming cursemonger Hanara say when the thief stole her cursed abacus?

"That's just what I was counting on."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am 

What did the scheming cursemonger Hanara say when the thief stole her cursed abacus?

It was a calculated risk.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am 

Hanara: "I like using an abacus. It sure beads counting by hand. My talons lie elsewhere."

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

Hanara: "I like using an abacus. It sure beads counting by hand. My talons lie elsewhere."

Somebody must be made accountable!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:11 pm 

A package arrived today! I am pleased, gratified, and reminded that my own schemes do very much have a timer!

Thank you, Luna.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:04 pm 

My daughters got some shots on Wednesday. Regular stuff, nothing to worry about. So when they started throwing up we assumed it was just a side effect off the vaccine. Then last night I realized that they had actually caught a stomach bug with no relation to the shots. I realized this because I have it too now. This has not been a fun weekend.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself

Yay ! Puns ! Count me in !

EDIT: So, the limit on quote recursion is 3 ?

...LAME.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:19 pm 

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

...LAME.

This is really weird. I didn't know this, but I tested it, and yes, the board seems to just start automatically cutting them out after three. I feel like it hasn't always been that way, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 pm 

Identity: Male

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

...LAME.

This is really weird. I didn't know this, but I tested it, and yes, the board seems to just start automatically cutting them out after three. I feel like it hasn't always been that way, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

I feel like you're right, but I can't think of any evidence off the top of my head.
Did the software get updated?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm 

...LAME.

Having been a member of the forums since its founding, I can say with certainty that it always has been a three-quote limit.

Aaarrrgh wrote:
My daughters got some shots on Wednesday. Regular stuff, nothing to worry about. So when they started throwing up we assumed it was just a side effect off the vaccine. Then last night I realized that they had actually caught a stomach bug with no relation to the shots. I realized this because I have it too now. This has not been a fun weekend.

Aww, that sucks. Hope you feel better soon!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Stomach bugs are the worst. :(

Sending best wishes, and I hope everyone feels better soon!

...LAME.

I guess our number's up?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 am 

Identity: Male
The rare and coveted double pun! A joke in two separate contexts, neither being the percievedly* intended meaning!

*I feel that in this very specific circumstance percievedly is an acceptable conjugation.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353