It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 pm 

Thank you so much for reading, Brentain and Raven! It's deeply, deeply appreciated!

There's not much to this one, but it makes me smile. :) I'm glad that people enjoyed it!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday! :D

Valuable Stuff

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Very, very nice. I like to see the moments implied by the big stories shown like this; we know how it's going to end, but we're gonna keep reading because it's so mind-numbingly good writing. The I-see-that-you-see-that-I-see is at the same time a bit funny and dead serious, the stuff about Brax's cologne the exact kind of small detail that would drive a decent worker mad - "like a gangster funeral" is a hell of a comparison for a smell, by the way, you'd have a lot of fun with adult!Sharaka - and having a glimpse of Sharps' mind has been great.

Thanks for sharing!

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 pm 

Jackie's feeling talkative, I see. And Jackie does like to get talkative. :)

Nice to see the introduction of these two, knowing what good friends they become. One of my favorite little touches of our "Mistakes of the Past" colab was Sharps' loyalty and dedication. Even after being knocked out and concussed by Pry, he's still trying to get out there and help, for the kids, for Jackie. It's nice to see how things got started.

I was a little surprised that there was no mention of Sharps' father in this story. For whatever reason, the reveal of the backstory with Jackie and Sharps' old man is probably the thing that sticks out the most in my mind about "Red Eyes," even more than the infamous "we're practically partners" line, which is also great. I know Jackie doesn't find out about Sharps' father until her meeting with Brax, but I thought Sharps might think about it or something.

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Huey and Raven! As ever, it is deeply, deeply appreciated!

Very, very nice. I like to see the moments implied by the big stories shown like this; we know how it's going to end, but we're gonna keep reading because it's so mind-numbingly good writing. The I-see-that-you-see-that-I-see is at the same time a bit funny and dead serious, the stuff about Brax's cologne the exact kind of small detail that would drive a decent worker mad - "like a gangster funeral" is a hell of a comparison for a smell, by the way, you'd have a lot of fun with adult!Sharaka - and having a glimpse of Sharps' mind has been great.

Thanks for sharing!

Well, thank you so much for reading! I'm really glad you enjoyed the story!

And, yeah, one of the guilty pleasures that has come from the fact that I didn't have backstories established for any of Jackie's gang when I first started writing about them is that now I get to go back and fill in the blanks whenever the mood strikes me, and I really, really enjoy the sorts of things which seem to bubble-up as a result. And one of the things that I really kind of love about this story is that we get to see that Sharps is actually really good at his job. He has a good eye, and good instincts, and he sizes-up Jackie just like she sizes-up him. I think you can see that they have this weird kind of mutual respect, and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine them becoming friends as well as allies -- which is, of course, what happens. Sharps is kind of like a great golfer who just happens to be playing the game during the peak of Tiger Woods's career. He can be one of the sharpest operators in the Waste, and it almost doesn't matter, because he finds himself up against someone who's just better than everyone else. But Jackie respects him, and she's straight with him, and he appreciates both of those things.

And I always love these little glimpses into the DeCoeur School of Personnel Management, too. Young Jackie's most dangerous weapon was her quick draw. Older Jackie's most dangerous weapon was her ability to surround herself with equally dangerous people, and to earn their trust.

I'm glad people like the line about Brax's cologne smelling like a gangster funeral, too. Jackie makes a similar observation in "Red Eyes," so I kind of called back to it here. I like that, either Sharps and Jackie both independently stumbled upon the same analogy, or the implication that maybe Sharps mentions it to Jackie at some point, and she realizes the correctness of it when she eventually comes to be in the same room with Brax. :)

Jackie's feeling talkative, I see. And Jackie does like to get talkative.

Nice to see the introduction of these two, knowing what good friends they become. One of my favorite little touches of our "Mistakes of the Past" colab was Sharps' loyalty and dedication. Even after being knocked out and concussed by Pry, he's still trying to get out there and help, for the kids, for Jackie. It's nice to see how things got started.

Yeah, this is talky Jackie, for whom I have a self-confessed soft spot. I like that Jackie can be terse when the situation calls for it (I always remember her exchange with Diamond Jane, in "Love and Theft": "Are you going to talk me to death?" / "No, Jane, this is going to be a short conversation."), but she can also indulge in a bit of pontificating when she reads that the room is ripe for it. And, here, I think she's savvy to realize that talking with Sharps is the right approach. Sharps is very used to being talked down to -- being talked to is probably a nice change, and he responds to it the way that she guesses he will.

Besides, I just like hearing Jackie talk. :) Her voice in my head is just so clear, when she's in speechifying mode, and I can actually hear the smile in her voice, when she knows that she's got the room hanging on her words. God, I love listening to her when she's like that.

And, yeah, I love that, by the time "Mistakes of the Past" rolls around, we see that Sharps and Jackie have a loyalty which transcends criminal opportunism. I have no doubt in my mind that Jackie would ride through all Seven Hells and back for anyone in her crew, and I think her crew knows that, too. And so you can see why they form an attachment to her that's about more than just business. They may be criminals, but they're not crooks, to cite a semantic distinction of Jackie's. Loyalty means something in this crew.

I was a little surprised that there was no mention of Sharps' father in this story. For whatever reason, the reveal of the backstory with Jackie and Sharps' old man is probably the thing that sticks out the most in my mind about "Red Eyes," even more than the infamous "we're practically partners" line, which is also great. I know Jackie doesn't find out about Sharps' father until her meeting with Brax, but I thought Sharps might think about it or something.

Yeah, that probably should come up somewhere in Sharps's thoughts, even if it's just in passing. I did sort of wonder about it, and, as I was writing, I was kind of looking for a place to slip it in. But the time never felt right, and so I just let it slide.

I think that -- obliquely? -- you can see it reflected in Sharps's attitude. Even when he's being oppositional, he doesn't seem like he's out to get Jackie. He doesn't have anything personal against her; his objection is that she's making it impossible for him to do his job. And -- as she points out -- he doesn't send his squad in after her. He goes in alone, because he wants to talk. There is a connection, here, of a very weird sort.

I think there's also maybe a whisper of the backstory in that moment when she just states it as a fact that, if it comes to shooting, she's going to outdraw him, and he doesn't make any effort to argue the point. Sharps just knows for a fact that, if Jackie draws on someone, that person's dead, and of course we have the benefit of knowing that there's family history underlying this knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Hey, thank you for reading! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:44 pm 

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

The Planeswalker Always Rings Twice, Pt. 1

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 pm 

Ahh, I really have a soft spot for our dear, dogged detector (I will literally never get tired of that pun). You have to feel badly for poor Nallry. He's just trying to do his job, but by some strange turning of fate (and by yours truly) he has been cursed to forever have to deal with the "really grating" antics of Donagut.

I really liked the banter, as I usually do with Donagut, and I thought it was a neat trick the way the whole thing pivots right at the end with the reveal of the deeper mystery. And this time...it's personal...

:shifty:

For Donagut's sake, I hope Nallry's not going to retire any time soon. For Nallry's sake, I hope he's not days away from retirement, because that never goes well in these kinds of stories.

:D

Thanks for posting! I look forward to seeing where this particular yarn takes us!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 am 

Given his proclivities, something like this was nearly inevitable, wasn't it? It reminds me of something I've never watched, but have seen parodies of. Most notably one involving three bullets in a giant donut.

Meanwhile, my favorite bit of banter was the "second try" comment, though it's all great, and I too am excited to see how he pulls his tail out of this mess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 pm 

Thanks so much for reading, Raven and Brentain! As always, it is much, much appreciated!

Ahh, I really have a soft spot for our dear, dogged detector (I will literally never get tired of that pun).

You will never hear me speak ill of a pun, and if alliteration is wrong, then I don't want to be right. :)

You have to feel badly for poor Nallry. He's just trying to do his job, but by some strange turning of fate (and by yours truly) he has been cursed to forever have to deal with the "really grating" antics of Donagut.

It's funny -- the more Donagut bits I've written (and, admittedly, I haven't actually written much), the more I'm struck my the weird bind that Nallry finds himself in. On the one hand, he knows that *something* is seriously wrong with Donagut. He knows things he shouldn't know, does things he shouldn't be able to do. Heck -- we even know that Nallry's not buying this whole "last of my kind" business, either. And there's a moment in one of these stories where Nallry makes some comment to the effect of, "when I come across something weird, I know that you're going to be mixed up in it." Donagut must attract a lot of unwanted attention, and screening for him has to be a constant pain in Nallry's behind.

But, on the other paw, Donagut gets results which no one else can. And that matters to Nallry, because my read on Nallry is that he's a good cop, who cares about his city. So he's stuck sort of playing interference for Donagut, because he needs him. And that back-and-forth has been fun to think about.

I really liked the banter, as I usually do with Donagut, and I thought it was a neat trick the way the whole thing pivots right at the end with the reveal of the deeper mystery. And this time...it's personal...

Being framed for murder -- it doesn't get much more personal than that, does it? :)

For Donagut's sake, I hope Nallry's not going to retire any time soon. For Nallry's sake, I hope he's not days away from retirement, because that never goes well in these kinds of stories.

Fortunately, early reports that Nallry just christened his retirement boat -- the Live-4-Ever -- are as yet unconfirmed... :)

Thanks for posting! I look forward to seeing where this particular yarn takes us!

Me, too! And thank you for reading!

Brentain wrote:
Given his proclivities, something like this was nearly inevitable, wasn't it? It reminds me of something I've never watched, but have seen parodies of. Most notably one involving three bullets in a giant donut.

It does seem inevitable, doesn't it? And I think I'm not familiar with that particular satire!

Brentain wrote:
Meanwhile, my favorite bit of banter was the "second try" comment, though it's all great, and I too am excited to see how he pulls his tail out of this mess.

Well, thank you for reading, and for the very kind words! I enjoy writing the banter, so I'm glad people enjoy reading it!

I do like that little bit, too. And, for whatever reason, I'm very fond of Donagut's response to Nallry's question about whether he remembers fighting the treefolk: "No. But it would explain the splinters." :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 pm 

Ahh, I really have a soft spot for our dear, dogged detector (I will literally never get tired of that pun).

You will never hear me speak ill of a pun, and if alliteration is wrong, then I don't want to be right. :)

Doggone right!

You have to feel badly for poor Nallry. He's just trying to do his job, but by some strange turning of fate (and by yours truly) he has been cursed to forever have to deal with the "really grating" antics of Donagut.

It's funny -- the more Donagut bits I've written (and, admittedly, I haven't actually written much), the more I'm struck my the weird bind that Nallry finds himself in. On the one hand, he knows that *something* is seriously wrong with Donagut. He knows things he shouldn't know, does things he shouldn't be able to do. Heck -- we even know that Nallry's not buying this whole "last of my kind" business, either. And there's a moment in one of these stories where Nallry makes some comment to the effect of, "when I come across something weird, I know that you're going to be mixed up in it." Donagut must attract a lot of unwanted attention, and screening for him has to be a constant pain in Nallry's behind.

That's one of my favorite little moments that I think sort of falls by the wayside in "Eternal Eclipse," when Nallry sort of half-calls Donagut out on that. For one thing, it's a nice little "I know that you know that I know you're lying" kind of moment. But more than that, as you say, it says a lot about both characters and the relationship between the two.

The other thing I like is what that moment says about the plane of Nuwar and the Great City. It clearly has a diverse enough population of strange fantasy type creatures that a houndsfolk, despite not being native to the plane, doesn't draw too much attention. Some attention, clearly, but not so much that Donagut can't operate there. Which also probably serves to explain why Donagut doesn't just uproot himself with things get hairy. There are probably not all that many planes where a houndsfolk could walk about without a disguise.

But, on the other paw, Donagut gets results which no one else can. And that matters to Nallry, because my read on Nallry is that he's a good cop, who cares about his city. So he's stuck sort of playing interference for Donagut, because he needs him. And that back-and-forth has been fun to think about.

Yeah, I have the same opinion of Nallry. He doesn't strike me as the kind who would not pass up an advantage against crime in his fair city, and Donagut, being both talented at what he does and technically outside of the usual limitations of the Enforcers (whatever those limitations may be) Nallry is not going to just give that up.

And, as he says in this piece, he kind of likes Donagut, probably because beneath his (Mc)gruff exterior, Donagut genuinely cares about the people, like Nall does. There's a sort of kinship there, and who knows? If Donagut can just stay sober, maybe he can be the man's best friend.

:D

Fortunately, early reports that Nallry just christened his retirement boat -- the Live-4-Ever -- are as yet unconfirmed... :)

"MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:28 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Heh, just caught up with the last story. Nice one, I'm an amnesiac drunk myself so I can relate. The piece is good, though I have to say, it doesn't compare with other pearls you shared in this thread. The hook at the end is interesting enough, and I look forward to a second part, but for some reason I couldn't enjoy the description of a hungover much (maybe for meatspace past experiences, if I have to be honest)

Thanks for sharing!

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 am 

Hey, everyone. Belated apology for TNSC being a miss yesterday -- by the time I sat down to try to write, I was just too tired to concentrate. I'm frankly pretty bummed about this -- doing TNSC every week has become a point of pride for me -- but this time I didn't quite make it.

But there'll be another Tuesday next week, and TNSC will be back.

Thanks, all!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am 

Hey, everyone. Belated apology for TNSC being a miss yesterday -- by the time I sat down to try to write, I was just too tired to concentrate. I'm frankly pretty bummed about this -- doing TNSC every week has become a point of pride for me -- but this time I didn't quite make it.

But there'll be another Tuesday next week, and TNSC will be back.

Thanks, all!

Don't worry about it! You're a champ, Orcish, and a prince among men...or orcs...men and orcs! You're a prince among Morcs!

It's funny, but you made it almost exactly as long as I did with my WotW serial before I missed a week. It's within a couple of weeks. Something about that 32-35 week range straight of producing something every week, I guess! But what matters is that you've been by far the most consistent, regular content creator we've had this year, and consistently good and entertaining stuff.

Thanks so much for keeping this up, don't worry at all about this week, and I look forward to the next TNSC!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 pm 

Thirty-two amazing stories in as many weeks is an impressive feat for anyone. I had a hard time writing anything suitable for public consumption that frequently, let alone creative fiction. You've been a pillar of the community since well before I joined, and I have loved seeing your work, even the ones I haven't specifically commented on.

But yes, it's disheartening to break a streak like that. I've wondered whether a similar commitment would get me to actually post some of the stories kicking around in my head, but I just know I'll fail like that at some point, and even the thought of disappointing people is discouraging. But seeing it from this side, I'm just grateful that you had the strength to start at all.

Thank you, OrcishLibrarian. Thank you for the stories, but also for sharing your feelings with us.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm 

Thank you, all. Your kind words do an old orc good. :)

And, on that note: Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Smoke, Pt. 4

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 am 

Emotions

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9