It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm 

Wow. And I thought three weeks to replace a CPU fan was obnoxious. My condolences.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 pm 

You, sir, need a better computer shop. My condolences on the wait, but at least there's the happy ending of getting the darn thing back.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:26 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I can't go into details about this without violating other people's privacy in ways I don't want to do but I am SO **** MAD RIGHT NOW and I needed to yell about it somewhere so um here goes

razorborne yelling but in text form

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 am 

@razor: Hope things get better. We can of course not help as such, but feel free to vent your frustration as much and often as you need.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm 

@razor: That sucks, man. I don't know what "that" is, but it clearly sucks. I hope things get better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm 

Identity: Male
Well if you need a pickmeup Razor, you can try Googling "Hasbro Dropmix".

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:48 am 

I had an idea for a story unrelated to magic.
The tale is of a horrible tyrant prophecied to reign in terror for a dark age.
But it turns out the subject of the prophecy is just some poor schlub tied up in the strings of fate and no matter what he does, he ends up perpetuating the prophecy because it won't LET him not follow it even though he's just a reluctant average guy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm 

So, here's an odd little something (Luna, you might get a kick out of this, for reasons).

I have an old cell phone. Like, 6 years old or so? It's an old flip phone, very much not a smart phone or anything. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a problem with the text messages I receive. Some of them are perfectly fine, others cut off mid-sentence, and some just appear as blank. I've been trying to figure out what was the problem, and today, someone sent me a text where all I got was: That.s

I called that friend, and asked him to send me the same text again, only without any contractions, and it came through fine.

It seems that after three months of my being a full-time English instructor, my phone has decided that informal contractions are no longer allowed, even in texts to me.

Damn apostrophes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:48 pm 

The apostrophe is a menace.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 pm 

The apostrophe is a menace.

It is in league with the oxford comma.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 pm 

Identity: Human
So, firstly, thanks, I guess, for the computer condolences? I don't even know if there's a computer shop closer to me than the one I went to, I just used the one by the book shop I frequent. I don't think I'll be using them again.

Secondly, I'm open if you need to vent, razor. I even have like five different chat programs if you need something faster than pms, so if you're on it I likely am too (though schedules may need to be worked out). Actually that goes for pretty much anyone. I've always got an ear and a shoulder open.

Thirdly, I enjoyed Raven's phone story, and in telling it to my mom, I read her my Damn Apostrophe poem (assuming it qualifies as one) and she was actually rather impressed. It made me feel not so bad, that apparently I can write things other people will like. I know OL will swear up and down that "you're a writer, Luna", but I am not often pleased with my own product.

Speaking of which, expect something new shortly. I just have a small issue of a name...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:48 am 

So, firstly, thanks, I guess, for the computer condolences? I don't even know if there's a computer shop closer to me than the one I went to, I just used the one by the book shop I frequent. I don't think I'll be using them again.

Well, fingers crossed that you won't need another repair shop anytime soon!

It made me feel not so bad, that apparently I can write things other people will like. I know OL will swear up and down that "you're a writer, Luna", but I am not often pleased with my own product.

I believe that, technically, what I usually say is, "you're a helluva writer, Luna." But the sentiment remains the same. :D

Speaking of which, expect something new shortly. I just have a small issue of a name...

:excite:

It seems that after three months of my being a full-time English instructor, my phone has decided that informal contractions are no longer allowed, even in texts to me.

That phone needs to relax! :)

Also, it's a funny thing -- when I was growing up, none of my English teachers ever taught me that contractions were informal, and I have been an enthusiastic user of such all my life.

Mrs. OL, on the other hand, *did* learn that contractions are informal, and, when she was helping proofread my thesis in grad school, she was horrified that I was using contractions, and practically went white at the mere thought of it. Bless her heart, she circled every single one in, like, 300 pages of academic mush.

I... left them all in. :blush:

razorborne wrote:
I can't go into details about this without violating other people's privacy in ways I don't want to do but I am SO **** MAD RIGHT NOW and I needed to yell about it somewhere so um here goes

Sorry to hear that, Razor. :( I hope things get better soon!

TPmanW wrote:
Well if you need a pickmeup Razor, you can try Googling "Hasbro Dropmix".

Funny thing -- Dropmix was basically the last game I worked on back when I was at Harmonix. I *loved* that project -- the final result turned out super, super cool!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am 

I suspect that it's an issue with the curly quotes that creep into more and more places. The original straight apostrophe is probably fine.

I had a similar issue at work the other day where part of the system seemed to work fine, except for a string involving °F. Because, of course, our testing was entirely in English...

Quote:
Damn apostrophes.

:cool:

For me, it's usually the pipe character (|). With the wrong shift key, it's the numpad Enter key instead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Secondly, I'm open if you need to vent, razor. I even have like five different chat programs if you need something faster than pms, so if you're on it I likely am too (though schedules may need to be worked out). Actually that goes for pretty much anyone. I've always got an ear and a shoulder open.

thanks, I appreciate that. I think I'm doing ok now, the situation still sucks but on the other hand it's also a resolution to months of stress so at least it's over now? I dunno.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am 

According to the ever-helpful main page:

Happy Birthday, Luna!

:party: :party: :party: :clap: :party: :clap: :excite: :party: :party: :pint: :party: :party: :clap: :party::dance: :party: :woot: :party: :party: :party: :clap: :party: :party:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 am 

According to the ever-helpful main page:

Happy Birthday, Luna!

:party: :party: :party: :clap: :party: :clap: :excite: :party: :party: :pint: :party: :party: :clap: :party::dance: :party: :woot: :party: :party: :party: :clap: :party: :party:

Happy birthday, Luna! I hope that today you enjoy the cake of your choice!

So, that time of year is *rapidly* approaching when the good Mrs. OL and I send out our annual festivus greetings to the people near and dear to us, and we would very much like for that to include anyone here who'd care to receive said mail!

So, if you'd like to get a card, please just let me know in a PM, and confirm the address which I should mail it to. I have addresses for a bunch of people already, but many are over a year old at this point, and, given the hustle and/or bustle of modern life, I assume that some moving may have occurred in the interval.

Also, please let me know your favorite Magic color. For reasons. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
So, that time of year is *rapidly* approaching when the good Mrs. OL and I send out our annual festivus greetings to the people near and dear to us, and we would very much like for that to include anyone here who'd care to receive said mail!

So, if you'd like to get a card, please just let me know in a PM, and confirm the address which I should mail it to. I have addresses for a bunch of people already, but many are over a year old at this point, and, given the hustle and/or bustle of modern life, I assume that some moving may have occurred in the interval.

Also, please let me know your favorite Magic color. For reasons. :)

For my part I appreciate the thought, but I wouldn't want to bestow the horrors of intercontinental post on you :D

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 pm 

Is it still the right day?

I'm not late on this again?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUNA! :clap::clap::clap:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm 

Identity: Human
Many thanks for the birthday wishes. It was mostly just another day for me, except that I've been sneezing all day long. damn allergies.

Side note: for somewhat strange reasons, I unearthed a recommendation by Barinellos from years ago. He had recommended the comic Concrete, published by Dark Horse, and I had completely forgotten about it.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm 

Identity: Male
Happy birthday Luna! In lieu of a more traditional gift:

My mentor and I made recent pilgrimage to the shrine of the fundaments. My master brought with us a square of cloth and bag of seed to be offered up. We set down the square of cloth in front of the altar and set it alight, dedicating the act to the entities responsible for maintaining the vectors of space. Then we departed.
I said to my master, "Should I not hasten back and retrieve your bag?"
His reply was, "No, just leave it for the time being"

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352  Next