It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:37 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
The opening of Vigilance is very cinematographic, I love it.

I had already read Revel, and now I caught up with the rest; with the exception of Savagery, they all revolve around the ways the Guild use to devour (sometimes literally *waves at Hannah*) and trample the Guildless, which is a very important issue that is easily forgotten in the shiny and romantic conflicts among guilds. Among the represented guilds, I must say I respect the Orzhov more. Sure, the very routine of the guild is abhorrent, but getting ruined by them is a choice. Crooked and tiny, but nevertheless a choice. Rakdos can kick your door in and throw you into your worst nightmare, and no realistic endeavor protects you from them. Gruul are all "adapt to us or die", which is... meh, when many die under the ruins of their homes before they're given the chance of converting. Simic and Boros speak of ideals (respectively improvement and order) while throwing under the bus real people, in my opinion the most disgusting MO. Orzhov, on the other hand, begins with a choice, the archetypical Faustian one. Do you accept the mediocre status quo, or risk everything for a chance to raise? At every twist and turn, Hannah has a new choice. Being thrown on a street without a penny to her name, continuing to sell second-class cookware, they're all real alternatives she discards to advance on her path.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am 

It's another week, and so it is time to play on that sweet instrument we call M:EMory!

That is because this week, we will be looking back at: "Music," by RavenoftheBlack.

"Music" was originally posted on September 16th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on December 29th, 2014. This story is a microfiction, a short work detailing a moment in the "life" of Vasilias, Lord of Ariva, as the ancient lich dwells on his own memories of youth and music. This story was originally posted not on its own, but rather in a thread originally created for "Sands," another short work inspired by Vasilias.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:36 am 

With all this reM:EMbering the Innistrad anthology, I sort of forgot to reM:EMber "Music," so I'll talk about this piece briefly now.

As with a probably-unhealthy number of my works, this piece was written in response to a series of joking comments made in a thread. In this case, it all started with my poem "Sands," which Barinellos had requested of me as a sort of "Ozymandias for Vasilias" poem. In that thread, Ruwin commented that the "sand-representing-worlds" thing in that poem reminded him of Men in Black, and then that that thought made him picture Vasilias as Will Smith, and things "got weird." Barinellos then commented on Vasilias "getting jiggy with it." Orcish observed that getting jiggy with it poses some unique dangers for a lich, and then Keeper mentioned "painting that image," which everyone took to mean Vasilias dancing.

All of this convoluted series of jokes and references, of course, brought me to the otherwise simple question of how Vasilias would respond to or interact with music. I think that when I first thought to write it, it was going to be a humorous piece, and that is certainly what people expected. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is actually a very serious question, that a being as ancient as Vasilias, who had in his existence rarely if ever lived as a "normal" man, had perhaps lost or missed out on some fundamental beauty of existence. This line of thought led me to write something far more somber, where Vasilias, a quintessential villain and probably one of the least sympathetic characters in the M:EM, pondered in a serious and crushing way just what his existence had become, and just what he had lost.

In general, I do not consider myself particularly adept at microfiction. But I have written some microfics that I'm pretty proud of, and this is definitely one of them. I'm really proud of the overall effect of this piece.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hello, all, and welcome to another Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be reflecting on "Kiber's Reflection," by razorborne.

"Kiber's Reflection" was originally posted on September 2nd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on September 23rd, 2015. Set on the plane of Ossia, on the isle of Epala. This story features the titular Kiber, a Leprechaun who once enjoyed the fruits of control, but who has since lost at least one round of the twisted, convoluted game of Fae politics. Now, Kiber needs to fight back, and there is no weapon that he will not wield to regain what he has lost.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 am 

Hello, all! Sunday's back, and the time has arrived again for a new M:EMory!

This week, we will be Highlighting: "The Pilgrim and the Pharaoh," by Aaarrrgh.

"The Pilgrim and the Pharaoh" was originally posted on August 30th, 2015, and was voted into the Archive November 12th, 2015. This story features Tey'von, the Vedalken pilgrim who believes that somewhere in the Multiverse there is something worth believing in, and Kahr-ret-Taris, the Pharaoh of the decimated kingdom of Skavlakur on Arbagoth. In Tey'von's search for true divinity, he comes across Skavlakur and learns of the God-King, and seeks to investigate. This story is the resulting conversion between the two.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 am 

I am so glad I got to write this story. It had of course not been possible without Raven's permission and input, as both the setting and one of the characters were his creations, and there are heavy references to War of the Wheel. One of my favorite parts of our exchanges leading up to the story was Raven permitting me to make a worldbuilding decision for the Wheel, as my story flowed better if Kahr had meet vedalken there. And as the blue part of the Wheel had the least exposure and development, he let me have it.

The story itself is very dear to me, as theology, philosophy, and especially Christian apologetics are big hobbies of mine. Having the opportunity to explore those subjects through a fantasy lens was the reason I started writing Tey'von in the first place. And yet, at the end of the day, I feel that this is almost more Kahr's story than Tey'von's (writing that really makes me regret putting that apostrophe in his name).

The first draft of this story was quite a bit longer, because it detailed the chain of events which led to the meeting. After a while I realized that the introduction really dragged, so I cut to the good part and dropped some intro exposition in the middle. I think that really saved the pacing of the piece.

That's everything I can think of saying after re-reading the story and the PM's leading up to it. I might go dig up the original thread and see if that brings anything else to mind.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I am so glad I got to write this story.

I'm glad you got to write it, too!

Aaarrrgh wrote:
It had of course not been possible without Raven's permission and input, as both the setting and one of the characters were his creations, and there are heavy references to War of the Wheel. One of my favorite parts of our exchanges leading up to the story was Raven permitting me to make a worldbuilding decision for the Wheel, as my story flowed better if Kahr had meet vedalken there. And as the blue part of the Wheel had the least exposure and development, he let me have it.

I always love it when people have ideas for my characters or settings and are interested in writing them. And I remember that exchange. It basically came down to Aaarrrgh saying something like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I have an awesome story, but it requires me to establish something new about Galanos. Is that okay?" And then I sent like three blank PMs back to Aaarrrgh because in my excitement for the idea, I just kept hitting "Reply" before I had time to type "YES!!!!!"

:D

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The story itself is very dear to me, as theology, philosophy, and especially Christian apologetics are big hobbies of mine. Having the opportunity to explore those subjects through a fantasy lens was the reason I started writing Tey'von in the first place. And yet, at the end of the day, I feel that this is almost more Kahr's story than Tey'von's (writing that really makes me regret putting that apostrophe in his name).

It's funny to me that Kahr, of all people, is one of the characters in the M:EM that most brings up philosophical questions. One of the most philosophical chapters in WotW is when Kahr and Lukas have their discussion after the Battle for Skavlakur, and now here again, he returns to that. I suppose it makes some sense as our resident god-king with a selfish mindset but an overall good heart, but it's just odd to me because it's pretty far from what my original intention for the character was, which was a sort of trope-y action hero. It's really cool to see that Kahr has grown up to bring just a little bit of philosophy to the Multiverse.

And its just cool to see Kahr get another story. Of all the Arbagoth Eight, I figured it might take me/us the longest to get back to him. But thanks to Aaarrrgh, he was one of the first we checked in on!

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The first draft of this story was quite a bit longer, because it detailed the chain of events which led to the meeting. After a while I realized that the introduction really dragged, so I cut to the good part and dropped some intro exposition in the middle. I think that really saved the pacing of the piece.

I think this is the right call. I really like the tension in the beginning as the two are just sort of looking at one another, and I especially like the line about how Kahr seemed waiting for Tey'von to speak, even knowing that it would be a terrible and potentially deadly mistake to make. And I like the way the two 'walkers dance around the issue of their respective 'walkerhoods. It's an issue that comes up a fair amount around here, and I liked the way these two went about it. My favorite "so we're both 'walkers then, huh?" moment is probably Nasperge and Beryl in "Between Two Worlds," although I do have a certain respect for Aloise's blunt "You're a planeswalker, aren't you!" strategy. But I do love these little dancing around the issue probing moments, too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am 

We have scaled the summit of another week, and it's time once more to gaze out over the vistas of our M:EMories!

Why? Because this week, we will be highlighting: "Climb Every Mountain," by RuwinReborn and OrcishLibrarian.

"Climb Every Mountain" was originally posted on February 23rd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on May 24th, 2015. This story comes on the heels of "The Fire," the climactic and devastating showdown that signals the end of Beryl Trevanei's story arc with her sister Astria. This story features Beryl after that emotionally draining tale as she turns to Aloise for the help she cannot even bring herself to ask for. Aloise, of course, is there for her friend, and together they set off on an adventure in the hopes of distracting Beryl and, perhaps, allowing her to begin to heal. And, of course, to solve an ancient mystery or two in the process!

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:43 am 

Another week, another M:EMory!

This week, we will be taking another look at: "Another Day, Another Fight: Warming Up," by Huey Nomure.

"Another Day, Another Fight: Warming Up" was originally posted on October 26th, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on December 7th, 2015. It is the introductory story for Sharaka, the Viashino warrior. Captured and sold to the Vedalken mind mage Sophron, she is forced to fight for the entertainment of the crowd and the profit of her cruel master. Can Sharaka escape the confines of her prison and find her way back to her mountain home. And, after tasting the blood of her enemies and the glory of victory, will she still want to?

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:39 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
It's been a while, huh. Almost two years. It feels weird.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm 

It's been a while, huh. Almost two years. It feels weird.

I think that all the time. It seems strange that I've been involved in this project for even half as long as I have, or that certain stories of mine, which I think of as relatively new, are as old as they are.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:44 pm 

Oh, man, I feel super bad that I somehow missed "Climb Every Mountain" during my own little time in the wilderness. So, if I can be forgiven, I'm going to double-back a bit.

Honestly, as I revisit this story now, it feels a bit bittersweet, because it was one of my last collaborations with the inestimable RuwinReborn, and, as much as I'll treasure those memories forever, it's strange to think of our work together as something that's in the past, and not something that's in the future. It's sort of crystallizing the sense of loss for me in a way that maybe it hadn't before, and that's hard.

Anyway, I actually started picking away at this story while "The Fire" was still in the process of being finalized. That's unusual for me, because I don't usually jump ahead in a storyline. I begin a lot of stories from the middle, but, once I've got the bit in my teeth, my brain becomes stubbornly linear, and I almost always have to finish what I've started before I begin something else. So "Climb Every Mountain" was a bit unusual in the regard, and I think it came into being as a kind of personal penance for the trial which I knew Beryl was about to endure. I knew that she was going to be pushed to her limit, that she would come within an inch of breaking, that the thing she had been working so hard towards was going to be snatched away from her, and that she was going to be left beaten, bleeding, and alone. And it hurt me to think about Beryl like that, so, almost immediately, I think my mind started reaching out for something which I could hold onto, which meant something that Beryl could hold onto, which meant -- inevitably -- Aloise.

And that's where "Climb Every Mountain" came in.

I mentioned before that I usually start writing from the middle, and then sort of work my way back to the beginning of a story. "Climb Every Mountain" was also unusual in that regard, in so much as it really did begin at the beginning. And the beginning was this: I wanted to send Beryl and Aloise on an adventure. I had no idea what that adventure would be. But it would be something magic, something exciting, and it would give them a chance to talk along the way. So I started with Aloise in her room, and Beryl's arrival on her doorstep, and basically everything which came after that was one maguffin after another, strung together as quickly as I could think of them. Aloise was basically a step ahead of me the whole way, and I just did my best to keep up.

I made up the sacred mountain and the 77,777 steps on a whim. I tied it in with the Arcanum Obscurata because the Arcanum just happened to be there, and I could see Aloise reading it, and thinking about Beryl. I made the world an ice world because -- as simple as this sounds -- I like winter. I really do. It's my favorite season. I love snow. That's probably why it shows up so frequently in my stories. Quiet, snow-covered trees. Late mornings, early nights. Breath which fogs the air. Wind-bitten noses. I love those things, and I love writing about them, and I hope that, when I do write about them, it comes with my own sense of awe, and wonder, which is heartfelt, and genuine, and I hoped that would come through in this story, too, because Aloise's sense of wonder is one of the things which I love so dearly about her, and I don't think I could have told a story like this from her perspective if I didn't share her awe for what she saw all around her.

So, that's kind of how things started. I wrote the first chapter, and I sent it to Ruwin, and I asked him, "does this sound okay?" And, mercifully, he told me that it did, and he had a few suggestions which made it better, and then he wrote the second chapter of the story basically before I could even start thinking about it, and we were off from there. Ruwin sent Aloise and Beryl off on their adventure, and I followed along after them.

Ruwin writes both Aloise and Beryl beautifully. I'm reminded of that, as I reread this piece. I will miss having him looking out for them.

When I first started imagining this story, I think my notion was that it would be a short, adventure piece. I'd been writing A LOT of Beryl in the previous months -- 10,000 word story after 10,000 word story. I figured "Climb Every Mountain" would be a change of pace.

I was right, but for the wrong reason. It was longer.

Once I got started, I just couldn't stop. Everything looked so fresh through Aloise's eyes. So beautiful. So magical. There's a Jenny Lewis song that goes, "there's a little bit of magic / everybody has it." That song reminds me of Aloise, and of Beryl. They have that little bit of magic, and they make me believe that, maybe, just maybe, I do, too. And that magic just spun out as soon as Aloise and Beryl donned their packs and set out on their journey, and I didn't want it to stop.

I sent the funniest messages to Ruwin as I wrote. "Here's 3,000 words; it covers the part where Beryl and Aloise start walking." Then: "Here's 5,000 more words. They cross a river." Then: "5,000 more words. They spend a night at an inn." I hadn't even gotten them to the damn mountain, and, already, it was turning into the longest story I'd ever written.

There are big moments I love along the way, and little moments, too. I remember that I summarized one missive to Ruwin as: "In which birds are discussed, a stag does not appear, and a choice of color proves fortuitous." Somehow, in my mind, a stag which never even appears in the story was on a par with Beryl's narrow escape from drowning. And, you know something crazy? I still love that damn stag. :)

I love the scene where Beryl gets a load of snow dumped on her, and looks silly, and Aloise laughs, even if she kind of doesn't want to, because Beryl does just look that silly.

I love the scene where Aloise saves Beryl from the river, because we get to see Aloise as a woman of action, which isn't always the first thing we associate with her. But she's calm, deliberate, and so very capable, and she manages a rescue that still makes my heart skip a beat, and gives me a deep sigh of relief when it's all over.

I love Ursalyn and her biscuits. I love poor, oblivious Petyr, and his nose cosies. I love poor, oblivious Aloise, with both Petyr and Beryl fawning over her, and her none the wiser. I love the moment when Beryl points out Petyr's affections to her, because I can just feel Beryl's heart in her throat, and I love that Aloise totally misses the point, even though it's screaming at her in 10-foot-tall letters.

I love Aloise's metrometer, and her self-folding tents. I love the moment where Beryl finally breaks down, where the damn finally breaks, and where it all comes out. And I love how calm Aloise is with her, how patient, how kind. And I love how Beryl basically says the most important thing she can think of to say to Aloise, without using that one, paricular, four-letter word which she can't quite get off the tip of her tongue. And, even though that particular word passes unsaid, I think this was the moment when I knew that, not only did Beryl love Aloise, but that Aloise loved her back.

It would take Ruwin a whole other story to finally bring that realization to life, but, here, in "Climb Every Mountain," for the first time, I finally knew that it would happen. And that knowledge gave me strength, and warmth.

I love the mysterious temple, with its tropey trials, straight out of a video game, or an Indiana Jones movie. It was Ruwin who came up with the dragon, Ruwin who came up with the heartseal, Ruwin who wrote the wonderful moment where Beryl literally melts the ice, Ruwin who came up with so much more besides, all these extra layers of history and meaning which, even to this day, haven't fully been told.

Goodness, that was an exciting time. And I am determined that those stories will eventually be told, so help me God.

If it takes me 10 years, I will tell them.

But, in the meantime, this was what we wrote. Somehow, this was what we wrote. A story which, while it has its scary moments, its dark moments, its own particular terrors, still feels to me so magical, so warm, and so kind, that it makes me smile just thinking about it.

A story set in a world of ice, and it makes me feel warm. Aloise will do that to you.

We end with Beryl and Aloise, flying down the mountain on the back of a dragon, screaming for sheer joy, as they hold each other.

“Promise me we’ll do this again?” Beryl says.

I think she was speaking for me, too. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 pm 

Oh, man, I feel super bad that I somehow missed "Climb Every Mountain" during my own little time in the wilderness. So, if I can be forgiven, I'm going to double-back a bit.

“Of course,” the reflected Beryl said. “But only after you forgive yourself.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm 

“Of course,” the reflected Beryl said. “But only after you forgive yourself.”

Tough, but fair. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:46 am 

Once more, the week has completed its perpetual circle and arrived back at the beginning, and so once more has the time come to reM:EMber!

This week, we will be looking at: "Planeswalking in Circles," by Tevish Szat.

"Planeswalking in Circles" was originally posted on August 26th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on March 29th, 2015. This microfic was written for the So, Long Story Short thread, wherein a number of short, microfiction pieces about our characters were collected. It features Larasa and Morgan as they try to return to their native Taramir, but only ever find themselves on other planes, instead. Larasa and Morgan have appeared in several other stories, and this microfic is most closely connected to the stories "Before the Dawn" and "The World at Dawn."

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 pm 

Sunday is here again, and we can either love it, loathe it, or live with it. Or perhaps, we can explore option number four.

So let's do that! This week, let's reM:EMber: "Option Number Four," by mo_j.

"Option Number Four" was Voted into the Archive on Christmas Day in 2010, which may very well make it the first story in the M:EM. It tells the story of Talquet, a guard at a high-security prison specifically designed to hold mages in check. One of the prisoners is making an attempt at an escape by running for the roof, an all-too common tactic considering the defenses on the ground floor, and Talquet is tasked with bringing the prisoner back down. This is not the first time he has gone through this, and the memory of one of those times haunts him even now. But how will that affect this encounter?

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm 

"Option Number Four" was Voted into the Archive on Christmas Day in 2010, which may very well make it the first story in the M:EM.

Hey, could any of you folks who have been around since the beginning confirm or deny this? This is the earliest voted-in story that I have, but my records for these very early pieces are a bit spotty, so I don't know if any stories were voted in before this. I know that about half a dozen planes were voted in before this, but I don't have any record of earlier stories.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:54 pm 

I didn't have a strict memory on the issue, but I suspected it was merely among the oldest. I did some digging with the internet archive and found that "Ordinary Day", my other prime suspect was Archived on 12/28/2010. "Option Number Four" was archived the next day, 12/29/2010. The last days of December 2010 is also when a lot of refugees from the pre-M:EM short story contests were placed in the archives. The Keter/Storm Pitch can't be accessed from the old WiP forum but based on dates it was created between Nov 9 2010 and Dec 8 2010. My recollection is that "Ordinary Day" emerged only a couple days after the plane pitch.

There is no WiP thread for "Option Number Four".
The Voting Request thread is dead.
The oldest save of the Voting forum has two pages, and the second page, which would contain the voting threads for both "Ordinary Day" and "Option Number Four"

At last I finally got something of a break in the matter: the first page of the Voting Results Thread was still alive. According to when Skibo called the votes on that thread, these are the oldest entries in the M:EM -- The Plane of Ihn Gallad, the Plane of Ikass, and the Tome of Flavor Salvage Operations were all called on December 29, 2010, as was "Option Number Four". The 29th extends onto a second page of Voting Results Thread, which isn't saved in the Internet Archive, but at the bottom of the first page, I declare the Archives up to date with the results. This agrees with the last page of the old archive, where I made all the threads for the Tome of Flavor Salvage and for "Option Number Four" on the 29th of December.

The archive thread for "Ordinary Day" is 24 hours older than the oldest result in the Voting Results thread, but Archivist claims "Option Number Four" was voted in a few days earlier, on Christmas Day, in the introduction of our memory today. Was "Ordinary Day" from a slightly earlier 'round' of voting, or did I just jump the gun when it came to sweeping my stuff into the archives?

There's no post on page one of the Voting Results Thread for "Ordinary Day". But then, the Voting Results Thread wasn't made until the 29th, by which point Ordinary Day was already archived.

It is without a doubt that the oldest stories technically in the M:EM are the salvaged Tome of Flavor stories from the Future Sight Short Story Contest: "In Search of an Exit", "Rats in a Cage", "The Arbor's Wisdom", "Wyndmoor Street", "Alastra", "Afraid of the Dark", "Burnwillows", "Dryad Arbor", "Fall of the Pixie Queen", "Saltwater Jane", "Tale of Two Kithkin", "The Challenge", "The Scourge", and "The Adventures of Stovic the Wanderer". I believe many of those tales are lost, though they might be recovered through clever use of the Internet Archive. But saying those are the oldest M:EM stories would be like saying the first Studio Ghibli film is not Castle in the Sky, or even Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (that precipitated but technically predated the studio), but Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro because it was Miyazaki's start and his work has, for most of his career, been in Ghibli. Or at best it would be claiming Nausicaa as Ghibli release #1, since we did ultimatley accept these early stories into our canon.

But the question remains, what's our equivalent to Castle in the Sky, the first story that the M:EM didn't just absorb, but actually created? It's pretty clearly down to either "Option Number Four" or "Ordinary Day"

I did some more digging, and finally found a back door to the first page of the voting REQUEST thread.

Mo_j submitted "Option Number Four" on December 17. On the 29th, there was some debate over whether or not some unspecified votes should be closed, to which Skibo said:
Skibo the First wrote:
Technically, none of the voting threads have matured. (All of them are still under deadline).

But i'll make a new bylaw that says:

If a voting thread has gone 3 or more days without a post, it will be considered mature. (Granted that at least three council members have voted on them)

I hope this is agreeable with everyone. (Deadlines will still remain)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

By this new rule, all voting threads are now mature.
… and then, the squirrels came.

I presume the last bit was his signature

This is the batch in which "Option Number Four" was archived, as evidenced in the Results thread that was placed the same day. Keter wasn't archived until Jan. 14 2011. Zent was archived on December 27th (and is the oldest plane in the archive) and links "Runaway", but that story was archived much later, clearly edited in.

The first page of Keter's WiP, on which "Ordinary Day" was created, can't be reached. It isn't in the Internet Archive.

The Archivist has declared "Option Number Four" voted in on christmas day, but it was part of the surge of entries made on the 29th when Skibo changed the vote-closing rules, declared results, and I archived the lot. Perhaps the 25th was when the last vote was cast, at least three days before the vote's closing as per Skibo's rules change?

Where did "Ordinary Day" come from? It was clearly voted in separately from Keter, given the difference in their archive dates but I can find literally no record of the vote that included it in the M:EM.

~~~

I took a second look at the archive thread for "Ordinary Day". The first three posts, containing the story, were created on the 28th of December, but on January 5, "Part three is up" was posted. I suspect that the archive thread for Ordinary Day was the same as its WiP thread and was just moved to the archives when it was voted in. That would explain why I can't find any record of it in the late December votes -- it was CREATED the day before "Option Number Four" was ACCEPTED, and was probably voted in around mid-january with its parent plane.

That would make "Option Number Four", the first story posted to the Voting Request Thread, the oldest story created entirely for the M:EM

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:15 pm 

Thanks, Tevish! I didn't mean to create that much work for you, but I really appreciate it.

And, before I go on, I just want to throw out another "**** you, Wizards" for what was done to the Mothership forums in literally deleting our history.

Anyway, I am and will always be the first to admit that my methodology for collecting "Dates accepted into the Archive" was nowhere near flawless. In fact, I still have many works on my M:EM list that have neither a creation date nor a Voted In date. Largely, this was because I didn't start to compile my list until I learned that the old boards were going away, and for those of you who remember the mad dash to save as much as we could (dead gods, but that was a crazy time!), it was not the most scientific process. Add to that the fact that I am not, in general, a data collector, I did not do as good of a job as I would have liked.

The other problem was the one Tevish mentioned above, that there was, over the span of the M:EM and particularly in the early days, there was no set protocol for when a work was accepted and when it wasn't. My methodology was basically to go into every voting thread I could find and record the last date of activity as the date of acceptance. That would explain the three-day discrepancy between my recorded date of acceptance and the "Ruling."

Again, thanks a ton, Tevish! I wish the boards had never imploded the way they did, so that your research would have been a bit easier, but it is pretty cool to know that this was, for all intents and purposes, out first story!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm 

It's no problem, I actually find doing research like that kind of fun, sort of like Internet Archaeology, and it's fairly satisfying when a result is actually reached. I would, of course, prefer it if the old forums hadn't been burned to the ground, but if someone's going to sift through the ashes I'm generally the first volunteer for a reason.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next