It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:37 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
The opening of Vigilance is very cinematographic, I love it.

I had already read Revel, and now I caught up with the rest; with the exception of Savagery, they all revolve around the ways the Guild use to devour (sometimes literally *waves at Hannah*) and trample the Guildless, which is a very important issue that is easily forgotten in the shiny and romantic conflicts among guilds. Among the represented guilds, I must say I respect the Orzhov more. Sure, the very routine of the guild is abhorrent, but getting ruined by them is a choice. Crooked and tiny, but nevertheless a choice. Rakdos can kick your door in and throw you into your worst nightmare, and no realistic endeavor protects you from them. Gruul are all "adapt to us or die", which is... meh, when many die under the ruins of their homes before they're given the chance of converting. Simic and Boros speak of ideals (respectively improvement and order) while throwing under the bus real people, in my opinion the most disgusting MO. Orzhov, on the other hand, begins with a choice, the archetypical Faustian one. Do you accept the mediocre status quo, or risk everything for a chance to raise? At every twist and turn, Hannah has a new choice. Being thrown on a street without a penny to her name, continuing to sell second-class cookware, they're all real alternatives she discards to advance on her path.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am 

It's another week, and so it is time to play on that sweet instrument we call M:EMory!

That is because this week, we will be looking back at: "Music," by RavenoftheBlack.

"Music" was originally posted on September 16th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on December 29th, 2014. This story is a microfiction, a short work detailing a moment in the "life" of Vasilias, Lord of Ariva, as the ancient lich dwells on his own memories of youth and music. This story was originally posted not on its own, but rather in a thread originally created for "Sands," another short work inspired by Vasilias.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:36 am 

With all this reM:EMbering the Innistrad anthology, I sort of forgot to reM:EMber "Music," so I'll talk about this piece briefly now.

As with a probably-unhealthy number of my works, this piece was written in response to a series of joking comments made in a thread. In this case, it all started with my poem "Sands," which Barinellos had requested of me as a sort of "Ozymandias for Vasilias" poem. In that thread, Ruwin commented that the "sand-representing-worlds" thing in that poem reminded him of Men in Black, and then that that thought made him picture Vasilias as Will Smith, and things "got weird." Barinellos then commented on Vasilias "getting jiggy with it." Orcish observed that getting jiggy with it poses some unique dangers for a lich, and then Keeper mentioned "painting that image," which everyone took to mean Vasilias dancing.

All of this convoluted series of jokes and references, of course, brought me to the otherwise simple question of how Vasilias would respond to or interact with music. I think that when I first thought to write it, it was going to be a humorous piece, and that is certainly what people expected. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is actually a very serious question, that a being as ancient as Vasilias, who had in his existence rarely if ever lived as a "normal" man, had perhaps lost or missed out on some fundamental beauty of existence. This line of thought led me to write something far more somber, where Vasilias, a quintessential villain and probably one of the least sympathetic characters in the M:EM, pondered in a serious and crushing way just what his existence had become, and just what he had lost.

In general, I do not consider myself particularly adept at microfiction. But I have written some microfics that I'm pretty proud of, and this is definitely one of them. I'm really proud of the overall effect of this piece.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hello, all, and welcome to another Highlighted M:EMory!

This week, we will be reflecting on "Kiber's Reflection," by razorborne.

"Kiber's Reflection" was originally posted on September 2nd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on September 23rd, 2015. Set on the plane of Ossia, on the isle of Epala. This story features the titular Kiber, a Leprechaun who once enjoyed the fruits of control, but who has since lost at least one round of the twisted, convoluted game of Fae politics. Now, Kiber needs to fight back, and there is no weapon that he will not wield to regain what he has lost.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 am 

Hello, all! Sunday's back, and the time has arrived again for a new M:EMory!

This week, we will be Highlighting: "The Pilgrim and the Pharaoh," by Aaarrrgh.

"The Pilgrim and the Pharaoh" was originally posted on August 30th, 2015, and was voted into the Archive November 12th, 2015. This story features Tey'von, the Vedalken pilgrim who believes that somewhere in the Multiverse there is something worth believing in, and Kahr-ret-Taris, the Pharaoh of the decimated kingdom of Skavlakur on Arbagoth. In Tey'von's search for true divinity, he comes across Skavlakur and learns of the God-King, and seeks to investigate. This story is the resulting conversion between the two.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 am 

I am so glad I got to write this story. It had of course not been possible without Raven's permission and input, as both the setting and one of the characters were his creations, and there are heavy references to War of the Wheel. One of my favorite parts of our exchanges leading up to the story was Raven permitting me to make a worldbuilding decision for the Wheel, as my story flowed better if Kahr had meet vedalken there. And as the blue part of the Wheel had the least exposure and development, he let me have it.

The story itself is very dear to me, as theology, philosophy, and especially Christian apologetics are big hobbies of mine. Having the opportunity to explore those subjects through a fantasy lens was the reason I started writing Tey'von in the first place. And yet, at the end of the day, I feel that this is almost more Kahr's story than Tey'von's (writing that really makes me regret putting that apostrophe in his name).

The first draft of this story was quite a bit longer, because it detailed the chain of events which led to the meeting. After a while I realized that the introduction really dragged, so I cut to the good part and dropped some intro exposition in the middle. I think that really saved the pacing of the piece.

That's everything I can think of saying after re-reading the story and the PM's leading up to it. I might go dig up the original thread and see if that brings anything else to mind.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm 

Aaarrrgh wrote:
I am so glad I got to write this story.

I'm glad you got to write it, too!

Aaarrrgh wrote:
It had of course not been possible without Raven's permission and input, as both the setting and one of the characters were his creations, and there are heavy references to War of the Wheel. One of my favorite parts of our exchanges leading up to the story was Raven permitting me to make a worldbuilding decision for the Wheel, as my story flowed better if Kahr had meet vedalken there. And as the blue part of the Wheel had the least exposure and development, he let me have it.

I always love it when people have ideas for my characters or settings and are interested in writing them. And I remember that exchange. It basically came down to Aaarrrgh saying something like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I have an awesome story, but it requires me to establish something new about Galanos. Is that okay?" And then I sent like three blank PMs back to Aaarrrgh because in my excitement for the idea, I just kept hitting "Reply" before I had time to type "YES!!!!!"

:D

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The story itself is very dear to me, as theology, philosophy, and especially Christian apologetics are big hobbies of mine. Having the opportunity to explore those subjects through a fantasy lens was the reason I started writing Tey'von in the first place. And yet, at the end of the day, I feel that this is almost more Kahr's story than Tey'von's (writing that really makes me regret putting that apostrophe in his name).

It's funny to me that Kahr, of all people, is one of the characters in the M:EM that most brings up philosophical questions. One of the most philosophical chapters in WotW is when Kahr and Lukas have their discussion after the Battle for Skavlakur, and now here again, he returns to that. I suppose it makes some sense as our resident god-king with a selfish mindset but an overall good heart, but it's just odd to me because it's pretty far from what my original intention for the character was, which was a sort of trope-y action hero. It's really cool to see that Kahr has grown up to bring just a little bit of philosophy to the Multiverse.

And its just cool to see Kahr get another story. Of all the Arbagoth Eight, I figured it might take me/us the longest to get back to him. But thanks to Aaarrrgh, he was one of the first we checked in on!

Aaarrrgh wrote:
The first draft of this story was quite a bit longer, because it detailed the chain of events which led to the meeting. After a while I realized that the introduction really dragged, so I cut to the good part and dropped some intro exposition in the middle. I think that really saved the pacing of the piece.

I think this is the right call. I really like the tension in the beginning as the two are just sort of looking at one another, and I especially like the line about how Kahr seemed waiting for Tey'von to speak, even knowing that it would be a terrible and potentially deadly mistake to make. And I like the way the two 'walkers dance around the issue of their respective 'walkerhoods. It's an issue that comes up a fair amount around here, and I liked the way these two went about it. My favorite "so we're both 'walkers then, huh?" moment is probably Nasperge and Beryl in "Between Two Worlds," although I do have a certain respect for Aloise's blunt "You're a planeswalker, aren't you!" strategy. But I do love these little dancing around the issue probing moments, too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am 

We have scaled the summit of another week, and it's time once more to gaze out over the vistas of our M:EMories!

Why? Because this week, we will be highlighting: "Climb Every Mountain," by RuwinReborn and OrcishLibrarian.

"Climb Every Mountain" was originally posted on February 23rd, 2015, and was voted into the Archive on May 24th, 2015. This story comes on the heels of "The Fire," the climactic and devastating showdown that signals the end of Beryl Trevanei's story arc with her sister Astria. This story features Beryl after that emotionally draining tale as she turns to Aloise for the help she cannot even bring herself to ask for. Aloise, of course, is there for her friend, and together they set off on an adventure in the hopes of distracting Beryl and, perhaps, allowing her to begin to heal. And, of course, to solve an ancient mystery or two in the process!

Enjoy!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27