It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344 ... 353  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:40 pm 

Identity: Male
The Breakfast Club was originally conceived of as part of a series. If I remember correctly, it fell apart because the people working on it hated each other. The first sequel was tentatively titled Breakfast Club 2: Son of Breakfast.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm 

Breakfast Club 2:
You Forgot About Me

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

I would legitimately be interested in a Breakfast Club prequel focused on a similar experience had by Carl Reed (the janitor). I love that character, and I've always been fascinated by the fact that his picture appears in the "Man of the Year" plaque for 1969 in the opening scene.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 pm 

Identity: Human
TPmanW wrote:
Listening to a recording of your DMing sounds like a good way to analyze your skill set and improve. It's probably a weird thing to do, but it's certainly not a dumb one.
Also, "Wangrod"?

Wangrod.

Although, re-watching that video, I realized I made a mistake. The one player is a Tactician, not a Munchkin. From what I can tell, he's looking at the game like a multiplayer game such as Rainbow Six: Siege or a MOBA, because he is deathly afraid of the Newbie player playing "as his character would" but against the party's implied goal. For instance, the Newbie initiated combat by being gruff to the village blacksmith (an easily irritable man), and the Tactician player legitimately started panicking when the Newbie started insulting the NPC.

Also technically "the Rules Lawyer" is not a player type, but that player is taking a different role than when it he and I as PCs with someone else DMing, specifically because he's not the leader type and I am moreso not the leader type and he ended up taking over much of our sessions as players.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 am 

Alright, wangrod basically = griefer.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:41 am 

TPmanW wrote:

A fact made obvious by the nomenclature, I should think, both portions of the name being synonymous with the male anatomy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
That's some admirable GM dedication, Luna! I may snatch that idea in the future.

As of now, I know two issues of mine I should work on as a GM:
1. Too many rolls: as a player who hates to leave my fate into Chance's hands, I ask way too many rolls from my players as a GM; this is particularly blatant in WoD systems where roll parameters are extremely flexible.
2. Too nitpicky in regard to creative solutions: the aforementioned issue gets worse when the players explore a solution I didn't think about.

I'm also rather slow at developing stories because I spend an unhealthy amount of time on worldbuilding and NPCs, but that's more of a feature than a bug: I've had a player complimenting me for designing a setting that felt "genuinely alive" (a bit ironic, since it was a vampiric domain), and I was beaming because I had spent a buttload of time to craft the character sheet of every relevant NPC in the setting.

Interesting video! I wonder what type of player I am... I sometime act as a Tactician, especially when I'm afraid the rest of the party will tend to screw around and get nothing done (which is a problem when people can play for a limited number of months), otherwise I think I'm a bit of a Power Gamer? I mean, when I describe my character as proficient in a certain thing, I don't like to be proven otherwise by my rotten luck (one time I was unable to roll above 3 on ten 10-sided dice, failing a difficulty 3 roll in WoD), so I'm the player who brings rogues with 30+ Hide Under Your Own Arse or bards with 40+ Bluff and Diplomacy to the table. And as a relatively tranquil Power Gamer, let me strut my fancy stat every once in a while and I'll be happy roleplaying for the rest of the game.

players' bad tales

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

A fact made obvious by the nomenclature, I should think, both portions of the name being synonymous with the male anatomy.

It went about 100 ft over my head.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:55 pm 

razorborne wrote:
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they recognize the brilliance of Breakfast 2 Furious.

2 Breakfast 2 Furious!

TPmanW wrote:
The Breakfast Club was originally conceived of as part of a series. If I remember correctly, it fell apart because the people working on it hated each other.

Yup. My understanding is basically that the way Judd Nelson stayed "in-character" between takes was by bullying Molly Ringwald relentlessly, which John Hughes -- who clearly saw himself as a sort of guardian-slash-muse for Ringwald -- took extreme offense to. When there was a plan originally to do a sequel, Hughes and Nelson were still not at a place where they would work together.

Barinellos wrote:
Breakfast Club 2:
You Forgot About Me

This almost made me snort decaf coffee out my nose. No lie.

I would legitimately be interested in a Breakfast Club prequel focused on a similar experience had by Carl Reed (the janitor). I love that character, and I've always been fascinated by the fact that his picture appears in the "Man of the Year" plaque for 1969 in the opening scene.

I would watch it!

More Breakfast Club trivia. During filming, John Kapelos -- who plays Carl -- apparently advised his younger costars to not take acting too seriously, and, as a cautionary example, he mentioned Martin Sheen's heart attack on the set of Apocalypse Now. This apparently got Emilio Estevez extremely upset, since -- as Kapelos apparently didn't know -- he's Martin Sheen's son.

Supposedly, Kapelos confessed all this years later to Sheen, when he was in an episode of The West Wing, and Sheen thought it was hilarious.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 pm 

More Breakfast Club trivia. During filming, John Kapelos -- who plays Carl -- apparently advised his younger costars to not take acting too seriously, and, as a cautionary example, he mentioned Martin Sheen's heart attack on the set of Apocalypse Now. This apparently got Emilio Estevez extremely upset, since -- as Kapelos apparently didn't know -- he's Martin Sheen's son.

Supposedly, Kapelos confessed all this years later to Sheen, when he was in an episode of The West Wing, and Sheen thought it was hilarious.

Meh, Martin Sheen has always been jealous of his far more talented brother Joe Estevez. I mean, it's not just anyone who can land a role in both Werewolf AND Souptaper I mean Soultaker.

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:27 pm 

Meh, Martin Sheen has always been jealous of his far more talented brother Joe Estevez. I mean, it's not just anyone who can land a role in both Werewolf AND Souptaper I mean Soultaker.

I love the interview that's on one of those DVDs, where they ask Joe Estevez, "Do you think you got typecast as a result of being in these cheap horror movies?" And he says, "Did I get typecast? Yeah, probably. But the operative word in that sentence is 'cast.'"

You'll laugh, but I think about that exchange all the time. I feel like that silly Joe Estevez quote encapsulates a lot about the proper attitude to life. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:40 pm 

I love the interview that's on one of those DVDs, where they ask Joe Estevez, "Do you think you got typecast as a result of being in these cheap horror movies?" And he says, "Did I get typecast? Yeah, probably. But the operative word in that sentence is 'cast.'"

You'll laugh, but I think about that exchange all the time. I feel like that silly Joe Estevez quote encapsulates a lot about the proper attitude to life. :)

For some reason, that reminds me of the Buzz Aldrin quote from the Simpsons episode where Homer goes into space. The NASA personnel introduce Buzz as "the second man on the moon," and Aldrin immediately jumps in with "second comes right after first." And everyone just sort of looks around uncomfortably. Apparently, Aldrin thought that line was hilarious when they pitched it to him.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm 

That's some admirable GM dedication, Luna! I may snatch that idea in the future.

I don't see it as all that much dedication, since I did it with our earlier sessions when one of the friends who is now a PC was the DM. I did it then to review where I messed up a roleplay or missed a rule, but doing it now as DM makes it easier to catch on to what my players think is important. If there's one thing that watching hours of Matthew Colville has taught me, it's that you want to play into what your players think is important and give them that satisfaction of discovery.

Interesting video!

I would suggest watching more of Matthew Colville's videos, especially if you're interested in DMing. So many other "Tips for New Dungeon Masters" videos make it sound extremely intimidating, but Matt always points out how little is actually needed -- don't have minis? use dice or M&Ms (that way you can eat them when the creature is dead or the encounter is over); don't have map skills? there are plenty of both purchasable and free fan maps that you can slot into your adventure; don't have the ability to design a campaign? take multiple adventures from others and combine them into a campaign for your players. His and his DM friends' credo seems to be "plagiarize, improvise, and compromise" -- take resources from other sources (published modules, random generators, fan resources, etc.), don't follow the strict rules and try to adjust things on the fly (instead of a random pack of wolves in the forest, have an earth elemental with lowered hit points; or give players fun magical items and just throw more difficult than recommended baddies at them), and don't be afraid to meet the player's expectations, or help to defuse a situation (if the players don't want to hear about your ultra-thought out political intrigue thought and just want to slay that dragon over yonder, let them; or if a player gets bored and decides to slay the prisoner being questioned, slice up the time to give other players a chance to react while still making it clear they need to wrap it up).

If you're not interested in DMing then this might still interest you:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:27 am 

For some reason, that reminds me of the Buzz Aldrin quote from the Simpsons episode where Homer goes into space. The NASA personnel introduce Buzz as "the second man on the moon," and Aldrin immediately jumps in with "second comes right after first." And everyone just sort of looks around uncomfortably. Apparently, Aldrin thought that line was hilarious when they pitched it to him.

I'll always associate Buzz Aldrin on TV with his appearance on 30 Rock.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Matt Colville is pretty decent as long as you add a pinch of salt to his ideology. Most notably his video #8, which is kind of leftist, but more importantly his view of "The GM has fun if his players have fun." Player investment in a story is something you should strive for, but he is pretty adamant about a statement that is pretty ridiculous. I could hold a game for a group of toddlers that make fart jokes all the time and I would feel miserable despite how much they enjoy it, as an example with little nuance. It's ok to have expectations for your players, you're not a servant.
For the most part though, his videos are pretty alright. I don't feel like they teach me anything new, but it's nice to have reminders of certain things.

I don't entirely like grouping players into broad categories, but I understand the utility, as most people can't properly express what they want out of a game with greater nuance. I suppose it is more of a "things people might want out of a game" list, just phrased kind of poorly. I don't remember "wants to wade in cursed items" being on the list last time I watched it though.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:47 am 

Good News!
I made progress on that work that I've had sitting in my pocket for a while.

But in moving forward, I've slammed into a new, surprising wall. Being, I have an exposition dump, which is, itself, something problematic. But in the bigger picture, I've been taking it as granted that one of the characters had knowledge of events that were already established. Except in providing the exposition, I had to go back and check a previous story aaaaand... I hadn't really set that up.

So I'm at an impasse between minimizing exposition by removing that assumption, or providing a more thorough account to match character expectation.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
So I'm at an impasse between minimizing exposition by removing that assumption, or providing a more thorough account to match character expectation.

I have nothing against exposition per se (Elphimas is basically a blue, four-armed Exposition Fairy) and I'm probably preaching to the choir but... if you worry about it being too heavy I'd recommend exploring ways to breaking it into more digestible pieces or finding a filter to make the text more engaging, like moderately quirky characters. If played well, the enthusiasm displayed by the exposition fairy can infect the reader; but if the character is going through a massive text to learn about the subject at hand, a shameless exposition may be the way to go.

I apologize in advance for any misuse of English grammar and idiomatic expressions.

“You're going to have to fight, and... you're gonna win!”

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Good News!

But in moving forward, I've slammed into a new, surprising wall. Being, I have an exposition dump, which is, itself, something problematic. But in the bigger picture, I've been taking it as granted that one of the characters had knowledge of events that were already established. Except in providing the exposition, I had to go back and check a previous story aaaaand... I hadn't really set that up.

I think I may be misunderstanding the problem, but, if the thing which needs solving is answering how Character A somehow knows about Events B, even though that wasn't explicitly established before, I mean, that's the sort of thing which it never bothers me to just hand-wave away with a wink and a nudge.

"How do you know all that?" asked Character C.

"I know things," said Character A.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Good News!

I think I may be misunderstanding the problem, but, if the thing which needs solving is answering how Character A somehow knows about Events B, even though that wasn't explicitly established before, I mean, that's the sort of thing which it never bothers me to just hand-wave away with a wink and a nudge.

"How do you know all that?" asked Character C.

"I know things," said Character A.

More along the lines of:

Character A: "How did X happen?"
Character B: Detailed report

vs.

Character A: "What happened?"
Character B: Brief Summary

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm 

Mown wrote:
Matt Colville is pretty decent as long as you add a pinch of salt to his ideology. Most notably his video #8, which is kind of leftist, but more importantly his view of "The GM has fun if his players have fun." Player investment in a story is something you should strive for, but he is pretty adamant about a statement that is pretty ridiculous. I could hold a game for a group of toddlers that make fart jokes all the time and I would feel miserable despite how much they enjoy it, as an example with little nuance. It's ok to have expectations for your players, you're not a servant.

I'm going to ignore that first part.

I feel you might be taking him a little too literally, though. His point is that your job as a DM/GM is to facilitate a game that is fun for your players, and that your players' enjoyment should be a metric for your success as a DM/GM (a notion I can get behind but I could understand disagreements over that). For him personally, he isn't even aware of himself "having fun" unless he knows his players are having fun.

Mown wrote:
For the most part though, his videos are pretty alright. I don't feel like they teach me anything new, but it's nice to have reminders of certain things.

So far as I've watched, though, his videos aren't so much about teaching new rules or reminders of rules, and more about explaining how fluid and easy the process of DMing is and how many options you have at your fingertips. Like, for me, I had been overwhelmed by the idea of needing to know the rules cover-to-cover in order to DM, and his videos convinced me that DMing is actually really easy and doesn't require almost anything.

For teaching, I have been going to places like The Angry DM, or Game Master's Journey.

Mown wrote:
I don't entirely like grouping players into broad categories, but I understand the utility, as most people can't properly express what they want out of a game with greater nuance. I suppose it is more of a "things people might want out of a game" list, just phrased kind of poorly. I don't remember "wants to wade in cursed items" being on the list last time I watched it though.

While I can see where your coming from, I've always come at it from the opposite direction. I have a much harder time understanding individuals than I do groups in the abstract. I'd much rather know which of 5 or 7 categories I and my friends fall into than try to unravel all our personal connections and baggage.

--------

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize beforehand that Saga would be so... NSFW.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344 ... 353  Next