It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 337  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm 

Ethical question for ya'll: lets say an oppressed people have hired you on to help them against some bad hombres. You get ready to march your company to war, and you start attracting camp followers from among the oppressed. Would it be unethical to use the camp followers as shock troops to break the enemy lines before sending in your trained soldiers?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
Ethical question for ya'll: lets say an oppressed people have hired you on to help them against some bad hombres. You get ready to march your company to war, and you start attracting camp followers from among the oppressed. Would it be unethical to use the camp followers as shock troops to break the enemy lines before sending in your trained soldiers?

Without telling them, definitely. With telling them, and depending on the contents of the briefing in question (and the tactics underlying said briefing's mission), it becomes less so, but still a grey area. What does the character in this situation have in mind in terms of "shock troops?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm 

Shock troops in the sense that they're undisciplined civilians - merchants, beggars, prostitutes and their pimps, people with nowhere else to go (basically, anyone that could turn profit from a march of soldiers).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 am 

Shock troops in the sense that they're undisciplined civilians - merchants, beggars, prostitutes and their pimps, people with nowhere else to go (basically, anyone that could turn profit from a march of soldiers).

It's not really a grey area in terms of ethics if you're up front that if they're going to hang on the camp, they should take part. Actually using them in combat is a bit different, but if it's a matter of volunteers, then go nuts.

In essence, they're a part of this already, if they like it or not. Put them to work at least, or tell them to shove off. It's bad for discipline otherwise.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/etc.
Also, be creative with how they're eventually used - not everyone needs to scream and run at the enemy to be maximally effective. Consider which members of these camp followers would be good logistics officers, infiltrators, assassins, etc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:17 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I started designing a Go-like game to be played on Telimar but then I realized that it had some pretty significant issues so now I'm reworking it.

update over.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:10 pm 

Identity: human
Preferred Pronoun Set: he
I interrupted off topic, as usual lol. Just wanted to say hi, and that I'm doing OK. Hope you all are too.

Last edited by Lunar Mystic on Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I kind of want to make a card/board game with customizable setup where players each get a M:EM characters and then you use one (or more) M:EM planes as the playing field.
I haven't gotten any further inspiration though, and I've no idea if I would want it to be an area control game where you want to protect your mana bonds, a 4X planeswalking game, a draft game with planeschase elements or something entirely different.

Lilian wrote:
if i hear one more word about mown i'll probably throw up. I've never cringed more talking to a single human being than mown.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:22 am 

Identity: Male
It's a cool setup but I'm not sure you can actually make a game out of that, unless it's a non-canon battle royale, or you narrow down the focus and add a lore-friendly reason for all these characters to get tangled up with one another.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:45 am 
YMtC Champ '14

I feel like no card/board game will ever be canon anyway, because its outcomes are variable. you can't build off a piece if which character won the fight changes every time you play it.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 am 

We could just do a Planechase where all the cards are M:EM references. That might be fun.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
We certainly could. You've already made a thread for it previously.
I just feel like the structure of Magic has a lot of potential that can be easily exploited for other games.

Lilian wrote:
if i hear one more word about mown i'll probably throw up. I've never cringed more talking to a single human being than mown.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:41 pm 

Even though I'm not overly fond of them myself, you could do something like a Pandemic-style co-op game where one (or more) of the M:EM villains are proving a threat on multiple planes at once, and the players need to planeswalk to them to take them out. Each planeswalker would have a different ability, and each of the villains could create a different sort of threat.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:49 pm 

Even though I'm not overly fond of them myself, you could do something like a Pandemic-style co-op game where one (or more) of the M:EM villains are proving a threat on multiple planes at once, and the players need to planeswalk to them to take them out. Each planeswalker would have a different ability, and each of the villains could create a different sort of threat.

Have you ever played (or seen) Legendary/Legendary Encounters by any chance? Because I think Co-op versus heavy hitting M:EM villain might work with something like that model.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm 
YMtC Champ '14

Legendary could work, but I think it'd be better as a Fury Of Dracula-type game, where the villain is also controlled by a player.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 pm 

Have you ever played (or seen) Legendary/Legendary Encounters by any chance? Because I think Co-op versus heavy hitting M:EM villain might work with something like that model.

That's the deck-building one, right? Where the enemy cards sort of slide down a path? I've never played them, but I've seen a Marvel themed one and an Alien themed one. I could see that working, potentially.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:06 pm 

That's the deck-building one, right? Where the enemy cards sort of slide down a path? I've never played them, but I've seen a Marvel themed one and an Alien themed one. I could see that working, potentially.

Yeah, that's the one. Legendary is the marvel one Legendary Encounters is the over-title used for their other licenses like Alien and Firefly.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm 

We could just do a Planechase where all the cards are M:EM references. That might be fun.

I have thought of such a thing exactly. Planechase decks should be based around M:EM walkers since planeswalkers are the only whos who can actually chase people across planes. That provides the basic deck outlines. Then have all the planes be M:EM locations. Then fill in the rest with other random stuff that's cool.
I have most of an Aloise deck, but it turned out I need to do more reading before I can tackle other characters.

TPrizesW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

I have thought of such a thing exactly. Planechase decks should be based around M:EM walkers since planeswalkers are the only whos who can actually chase people across planes. That provides the basic deck outlines. Then have all the planes be M:EM locations. Then fill in the rest with other random stuff that's cool.
I have most of an Aloise deck, but it turned out I need to do more reading before I can tackle other characters.

I have at least 4 ready to run, with a fifth that uhh... kinda needs work.

Maral, Cara, Aamir, and Saigo all have functional decks.
Alessa has a deck that needs to be fixed, but otherwise is functional.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm 

If possible I'd like to see every walker have an ability that interacts with either the planechase rules or planeswalkers. That would just really sell the concept in my mind.
I also want to see a pair of decks for the Dual Walkers*. I want the Syl card to have an ability that tutors for Chardis and vice versa. Preferably they would be slightly weaker than Chardis, the Destroyer and Syl, the Mastermind. It's part of my long term master plan to make dual walkers a valid deck type.

Do I have to capitalize "dual walkers"? Is it an official title or what?

TPrizesW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 337  Next