It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 pm 

On a different side of this conversation: What do y'all think the standards on sex and and sexual preference are in mtg? It seems that most mtg worlds tend to treat women and men equally, and there was that one reference to a gay couple in theros. And thats very cool, but I tend to find that inequalities in society can be very good plot devices

Theros had a lot going on in that front, but yeah, gender roles tend to be fairly egalitarian throughout most of the known multiverse.
Sexual preference kind of comes down to "not really our business" until it comes up as a plot point, but that doesn't really happen often because of the nature of the game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 pm 

Identity: Male
I wouldn't be shocked if some of the older parts of canon showed us a patriarchal multiverse. MTG was more of a high fantasy medieval setting. Now MTG's sort of high concept low fantasy/ arcane punk and creative doesn't really feel the need to replicate the social mores of pre-Enlightenment Europe. Actually, I get the impression that the fantasy genre as a whole has moved in that direction.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:25 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
This is magic not add drugs.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:28 pm 

Exactly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 pm 

I feel like I need to weigh in on something. This is not something I like to do, but it is something I take pretty seriously, so I feel it would be best to say it, rather than let it fester.

The subject of personal identity is a pretty fascinating one. We are, in many ways, the sum of our experiences, as well as whatever biological and chemical traits we inherit or develop over our lifetimes. In generations past, and in many places still today, those identities become the subject of ridicule and oppression, even if they are things we can't control or things that are not even truly flaws. The rise of the internet, however, has given people a new option, a way to remake and construct their own identity that is no longer hampered by the social constructs that keep us shackled in the real world. Here, in online worlds like this forum, we are able to be who we what to be, instead of the sort of person society and biology have tried to force us into being.

And I feel a big part of that identity is the name we choose for ourselves.

StoicChampion, I will not weigh in on your argument with Barinellos over the nature of drugs in Magic or Venser's sexual experience because I do not feel I have any real interest in the subject at the point. I will say that there is no reason you have to agree with him, nor does he in any way have to agree with you. But, when you disrespect him by repeatedly and intentionally altering his chosen name, you are disrespecting this entire community and that entire concept of self-selected identity. Whatever you may think of Barinellos's arguments are fine, and you should always feel free to disagree with them. But when he politely asks you not to call him something, I feel it is really over the line to continue to do so.

That's just my personal take on the issue. I think it's fair to ask everyone to be a respectful member of our shared community.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 pm 

I respectfully decline to comment on the subject of internet identities and any owed "respect" therein.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 pm 

If I wasn't 90% sure I remembered your name from the old boards, I'd say you were Kevin returned. Although you seem more intelligent.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 pm 

Questioning who I may be based on prior boards/conversations/other user names would seem to be a waste of time, and could induce insanity.

I'd prefer if you didn't, but what you do with your own time is your own after all.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:51 pm 

I have no sanity. Only sadness.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 pm 

Phew, you said sadness and not badness.

There's hope for you yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 am 

Identity: Male
Well, we can't really rerail this thread accept through the sheer power of willful ignorance, so here goes.
What's everybody think of the latest Gunnerkrigg chapter? Went from light-hearted to threatening in record time if I'm not mistaken.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
TPmanW wrote:
Well, we can't really rerail this thread accept through the sheer power of willful ignorance, so here goes.
What's everybody think of the latest Gunnerkrigg chapter? Went from light-hearted to threatening in record time if I'm not mistaken.

I'm really enjoying the art in this chapter, from all the magic effects to the architecture of the ZimmyZone. I'm also already starting to like Jenny more than I expected. I'm starting to worry that she's one of those characters who's introduced out of nowhere just so that you can become attached and then watch her die or turn out to be evil or something.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:37 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
I respectfully decline to comment on the subject of internet identities and any owed "respect" therein.

Okay buster, you've annoyed me enough to crawl off my island and come here.

It is a simple courtesy to address people as they ask you. This is true whether or not they are the most respected poster on the board (and yes, that's what Barinellos is), but if you disrespect that person, that's crossing an additional line. For me, there's little difference between cyber- and meatspace and you don't address people differently from their preferences when they're able to punch you in the face because you realize it's that annoying. It's okay to try out a nickname, but after Barinellos stated his preference for not being called Barry you should have stopped calling him that.

Response to other posts

Last edited by GobO_DaleCooper on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed derogatory comments

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Well, now that I don't have to worry about upsetting Keeper, I can ask this: Why isn't virginity a biological thing? As I have been taught, in human females there is such a thing as a hymen, which is what normally indicates virginity in females. What am I missing from this picture to make it whole?

While I'll admit that I brought up virginity partly for my own amusement, it was also because it bothers me that the previous discussion never got a resolution. I can accept that virginity is not something inherently biological in nature, or even relevant to anything in particular, demon summoning aside.

However, I do not get the statement from last time that "Virginity is not a thing", which was the center point of the last discussion. The sentence in itself makes no sense, and the arguments backing it up doesn't either. At least not to me, anyway. If the statement was just "Virginity is a superficial adjective", "Virginity is a discriminatory tool" or "Society puts an unneeded emphasis on virginity", or anything along those lines, I wouldn't complain (not saying any of these are necessarily right, just that I don't feel educated enough to discuss the subject). But when I tried to define the discussion last time, it was unqestionably, "not a thing".

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 am 

The thing is, at least for me, I don't think virginity is a meaningful concept. Apart from maybe the moment where you first had sex, just like the moment you first kissed.

And even then. What does "first time having sex mean?" If you have oral sex, do you lose your virginity? What about just using your hands? Or a whole range of non-penetrative sex?

nihil supernum.

- Godric Gryffindor,
1202 C.E.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:59 am 

Everything is adhd now? Cool I guess, but that makes me less special :(

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:26 am 

I feel like I need to weigh in on something. This is not something I like to do, but it is something I take pretty seriously, so I feel it would be best to say it, rather than let it fester.

The subject of personal identity is a pretty fascinating one. We are, in many ways, the sum of our experiences, as well as whatever biological and chemical traits we inherit or develop over our lifetimes. In generations past, and in many places still today, those identities become the subject of ridicule and oppression, even if they are things we can't control or things that are not even truly flaws. The rise of the internet, however, has given people a new option, a way to remake and construct their own identity that is no longer hampered by the social constructs that keep us shackled in the real world. Here, in online worlds like this forum, we are able to be who we what to be, instead of the sort of person society and biology have tried to force us into being.

And I feel a big part of that identity is the name we choose for ourselves.

Indeed. That is the beauty and irony of the internet: by being more connected, we become more individualistic.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
StoicChampion is clearly just trying to get a reaction out of you guys, I've seen him do this on other boards. The best way to get rid of him is to ignore/report his posts, since trying to reason with or get angry at him will be futile or encourage him.

Names being identities: I'm interested by this. Why do we take so much pride in their names? I suppose it's because our names represent our identities. The names themselves didn't really have special significance to us when we chose them, but rather gained significance because they came to represent us over the years we used them. Names don't inherently have meaning, but every post we made under them gave them meaning. So the pride we take in our posts and our selves became pride we took in our names. People say the internet encourages people to behave in ways in which they wouldn't in real life because it gives anonymity, but I don't think that's the case on boards with long-standing communities like this. Our usernames and identities here become just as important to us as our birth names, and we feel a need to protect that persona by behaving respectably and consistently.

Last edited by GobO_DaleCooper on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Removed derogatory comments

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I take more pride in my online persona name that my personal one because my personal name is borin and unoriginal. Seriously, Martin, that was the best you could come up with? At least my first name complies to international standards, but srsly, what's the point of names if two people use the same one.
I find it hard to imagine that I would take offense to nicknames, but that is part of the charm with 4-letter names. It's pretty difficult to abbreviate successfully, so I have to deal with bad puns about lawns and expressions of fatigue instead.
The thing is, at least for me, I don't think virginity is a meaningful concept. Apart from maybe the moment where you first had sex, just like the moment you first kissed.

And even then. What does "first time having sex mean?" If you have oral sex, do you lose your virginity? What about just using your hands? Or a whole range of non-penetrative sex?

No, I don't mind that. You can think whatever you want of virginity, as long as you acknowledge it as a terminology that can be applied in specific situations, despite how worthless it is.
And even if sex is an ambiguous term, that's a problem with said word, and I think most people assume that sex is, indeed, a thing.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 pm 
Former Staff

I want to remind everyone to be considerate of your fellow posters. Among other things, that means addressing your fellow posters as they prefer to be addressed. That's common courtesy, and doing otherwise does not contribute to the discussion. Please remember that the Code of Conduct prohibits harassment, flaming, and trolling.

At the same time, if you believe that someone is being harassed, flamed, or trolled, please use the report feature to bring it to the attention of the moderation staff. Attempting to redress the problem yourself -- especially by making derogatory statements about the person you believe is causing it -- is not the correct way to handle the situation.

EDIT: I'm going to temporarily lock this thread while I remove some inappropriate content.

EDIT 2: Thread is now reopened.

I’m going to let you in on a little secret: Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black coffee.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 167  Next