It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:53 am 
Wizards Staff

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/Him/His
There are a lot of interesting ideas in your post, Pavor Nocturnus, but I don't really think I can respond to them adequately without spoiling too much about an upcoming set. I'd love to chat about this in the spring though. (So excited! Tolarian Academy Reunion!)

#WotCstaff

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:30 am 

I'm quite happy with how Jhoira and Teferi turned out, but dear god, Karn looks terrible. He also upgraded from four to five fingers for no reason?

WotC's legal department would like to remind people that they're doing this because of a small kink in Japan where four fingers are associated with the Yazuka. That is if they could be talking to us right now but honestly I'm scared of them.

:hattip:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:21 pm 

Identity: Male
I'm quite happy with how Jhoira and Teferi turned out, but dear god, Karn looks terrible. He also upgraded from four to five fingers for no reason?

WotC's legal department would like to remind people that they're doing this because of a small kink in Japan where four fingers are associated with the Yazuka. That is if they could be talking to us right now but honestly I'm scared of them.

:hattip:

That's my new headcanon.
I have a fanon interpretation of WOTC policy now, and I will argue over its validity with strangers on the internet.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 am 

Reprint Tolarian Academy and the rest of the Academy deck.

#MakeMillGreatAgain

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 am 

Dude idk if lottery cards are a good idea rn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 am 

Quote:
justwantedtoknowstuff asked:
One of my favourite pieces of MTG lore is that when Urza and Barrin decided to limit Karn's memory to 20 years the only thing he was terrified to lose was his memories of his friends, so every night he told himself "Jhoira is my fiend [...]". Please high five whomever decided to have them back together (I might have shed tears when I saw the picture)

markrosewater said:
Will do when I’m back in the office.

I don't really remember this bit of lore (maybe I have Karn's 20-year memory span...), but I thought this was kinda cute.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 pm 

WotC_Ethan wrote:
There are a lot of interesting ideas in your post, Pavor Nocturnus, but I don't really think I can respond to them adequately without spoiling too much about an upcoming set. I'd love to chat about this in the spring though.
That's cool, I look forward to it. Feel free to talk about Dominaria as much as you want ;)

WotC_Ethan wrote:
(So excited! Tolarian Academy Reunion!)
I know, right? :excite:

I swear, I was actually going to throw the "Jhoira is my friend" quote in here, but looks like I'm late for the party now... Karn is just such a heartwarming character, and that line really stuck with me. I sure hope those people get their well-deserved high five!

I'm not sure how far-fetched exactly bringing back the Predator would be, but if it's done right, it could be pretty awesome. That sail in the background would fit, though.

And have you noticed the set's tag line? "Gather legends!" I love it, and it certainly hints at a legends-matter theme as we suspected. That would be putting Dominaria to good use indeed.

—Memorial inscription

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 pm 

^ Could be someone learned about Predator and decided to recreate it, aesthetically at least. For whatever reason.

Last we saw Karn, he was entirely cured of his Phyresis? I can't remember whether or not Karn is still a vector for the glistening oil.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:52 pm 

Last we saw Karn, he was entirely cured of his Phyresis? I can't remember whether or not Karn is still a vector for the glistening oil.
Yes, via some Venser blood all up in his business. He is no longer a vector, and is out and about looking for the other places he might have tainted.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 am 

Quote:
roguepyromancer asked:
Can I get a maybe on Teferi becoming a planeswalker again?

markrosewater said:
Maybe. : )

This "maybe" is most likely a "no," but it made my heart flutter just the same.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:14 am 

Some of you have probably seen it already, but let me drop this here FOR THE GLORY OF KELD!

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/fea ... te-w514703

Spoiler

Obvious callback to Latulla, Keldon Overseer is obvious. And awesome. And the article talks about lofty plans WotC apparently has for all sorts of things, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, and there's quite a bit of delicious anti-Gatewatch flak directed at Maro's twitter. Seems like I'm not the only one who can't stomach the idea of Gatewatch + Dominaria. One guy outright told Maro that Dominaria IS Magic to him and that he'll quit if the Gatewatch is there. I want to send him flowers. That said, I'd be fine with Ajani and/or Liliana.

—Memorial inscription

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:32 am 

Oh, and there's quite a bit of delicious anti-Gatewatch flak directed at Maro's twitter. Seems like I'm not the only one who can't stomach the idea of Gatewatch + Dominaria. One guy outright told Maro that Dominaria IS Magic to him and that he'll quit if the Gatewatch is there. I want to send him flowers. That said, I'd be fine with Ajani and/or Liliana.
Look, with all we've seen so far it's extremely unlikely that this is going to be a Gatewatch pileup on Dominaria. Jace is busy, the Gatewatch is scattered to the Blind Eternities, and the only two "members" at this point that have a real connection to the place are Liliana (who is from there), and Ajani (who was going there to meat some friends). If any of the other Gatewatch crew might be seen, it'll most likely be Chandra to get grandmotherly Toph advice from Jaya about how to grow up and be more awesome...which will be character building.

All that said, there's only going to be one set and it looks like it'll be jam packed with all kinds of awesome things from Magic's history and characters and cultures we've wanted to see for a long time. There won't be room enough for a bunch of Gatewatch story and people really shouldn't be making stupid ultimatums because a little bit of what some newer players like gets mixed in with all the great stuff that older players like.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am 

I know, I'm just deeply satisfied with the general tenor of that discussion on twitter, and right there where Maro can't ignore it. The general direction they're going for with this set is looking just fine at the moment, and I'm not afraid of a Gatewatch pileup. Ajani and Liliana are the most likely ones to show up, and I actuall still like them. Chandra, on the other hand... If she's there, I hope Radha is going to nail her entrails to her shield FOR THE GLORY OF KELD!

—Memorial inscription

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm 

Identity: Male
AzureShade wrote:
Quote:
roguepyromancer asked:

markrosewater said:

Never ask for a maybe. You just might get it.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 pm 

Why does Teferi not look like Teferi?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:47 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker

They all look a bit different than their original artworks. For better or worse.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Quote:
roguepyromancer asked:

markrosewater said:

That maybe better be a most likely a "no". I don't want Teferi back as a walker.
I want Teferi back, but bringing him back as a walker would be harmful to the metanarrative.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 pm 

Jman22 wrote:

They all look a bit different than their original artworks. For better or worse.

I'd say for worse

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 pm 

I think its too early to tell. They may be slightly off-model from how they show up elsewhere.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:32 am 

Barinellos wrote:
That maybe better be a most likely a "no". I don't want Teferi back as a walker.
I want Teferi back, but bringing him back as a walker would be harmful to the metanarrative.
Very much agreed. Sparks shouldn't be turned into hot potatoes that can be passed around on a whim, and Teferi gave up his spark for something meaningful.

Jman22 wrote:

I'd say for worse
Personally, it's only Karn that I have an issue with, but I hate that one more every time I see him in that art. They basically got everything wrong that you can get wrong, the surface, the face, the hands, the shoulders, the look of the glyph on his chest... He looks like a bloody Transformer. An argument could have been made for a polished looking Karn with a shiny surface that actually looks like silver, but all those changes at once are just too much.

I think generall speaking, they need to be very careful with the art direction for this set. On the one hand, Dominaria has to look 'modern' enough in its overall art style to fit in with other new sets and not look totally out of place in the current era. On the other hand, they have to bring back enough of the old fan favourite artists who have shaped the way Dominaria looks and make sure it captures the look and feel of older sets, particularly Time Spiral block. I think one of the safest ways of harmonising the two would have been to not use overly digital looking artwork. That Tolarian wind mage we've seen at the panel represents exactly the kind of art style that in my opinion has no place on Dominaria. There's also something wrong with that soldier with the stained glass sword, but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly.

—Memorial inscription

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5