It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Ixalan flavor thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm 

My favorite heroes have always been the scumbags who just weren't as bad as the alternative and mostly keep to themselves. (So, yay Pirates for me)
But then, I've always found traditional 'epic' fantasy to be tired and uninteresting. Tolkien is not my jam.
Ironically, neither is Martin.

So, yeah, I tend to fixate on the hypocrisy of the Sun Empire, especially if they're to be our designated heroic faction.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

I don't think the Sun Empire is portrayed as entirely spotless. A lot of flavour cards praise open violence and use nationalist rhetoric most of the audience is uncomfortable with.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 pm 

I think it is a misread of Ixalan to read any of the factions as "designated hero" or "designated villain". Each faction is a blend of positive and negative qualities, and while they positives and negatives may not be evenly distributed across all the factions, it's not valid to say "X faction has Y hero aspects but only Z villain aspects, so X is the hero faction".

The designated hero of Ixalan, so far as there is one, is Jace.

WotC_Ethan wrote:
The fact that there was a UG planeswalker in Amonkhet was for competitive color balance reasons. The fact that it was Nissa was for story reasons. We have these plans, see? :evil:

#WotCstaff
I love and believe that you have plans, and I love the character of Nissa I'm watching develop, but the character development I saw in Kaladesh story chapters and the behavior and spellcasting I saw in Amonkhet story chapters didn't get me to all the way to "Nissa is fully part blue now".

Take that with whatever grains of salt it deserves.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 pm 

There's a clear villain.

The Legion of Dusk

Making spanish conquistador expies that have good traits would have been very offensive.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:16 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
No it wouldnt have

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Why the heck do you have to just link TVTropes without a warning? I just lost 15 minutes of time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:40 pm 

Making spanish conquistador expies that have good traits would have been very offensive.

Because as we all know, certain groups in human history are actual demons, with no comprehensible motivation, consistent belief systems, rationalizations for their deeds, nor any scraps of humanity, and they existed solely to do evil for the sake of evil. It's not like there were compelling economic incentives or earnest theological motivations for Spaniards to make the treacherous journey across the Atlantic, fight wars on foreign soil, and attempt to spread their culture, nor could any of them have at any point believed, however wrongly in the 20/20 hindsight of history, that their cause in Colonization and Christianization of foreign lands was both Important and Just and the atrocities committed in the name of accomplishing their main goal unfortunate but justified. Certainly, they never could have acted under the conviction that the religion they were brought up their whole lives believing, including a cultural idea that non-believers would be consigned to eternal torment after their deaths, needed to be spread to other populations for the sake of those populations NOT all going to Hell. Nor could they have been engaged in a long-term struggle with historical rivals on the European continent, for which they could use a sudden infusion of riches obtained abroad to secure their own safety and potency in the arena with which they were familiar. They weren't humans, with homes, families, dreams, and ideals more similar to those of the people they fought than either side could realize, driven to conflict out of nationalism and myopia. They were just bad, and had no good traits whatsoever.

Seriously though, Always Chaotic Evil (TVtropes link, sorry Jman) is sloppy, and it would be double sloppy applied to obvious fantasy counterparts of historical human cultures, with human-like intellects rather than alien malevolences like, say, the Phyrexians. Luckily, while I feel like the Legion of Dusk is legitimately very dark and (unrelated to that) could be better explored (Especially the humans who live under Vampire rule), they are at least given things like consistent motivation and personal standards.

Now, since it's vaguely relevant, I present one of the few legitimately good moments from what was otherwise a pretty brutal botching of a similar (though not identical) time in History

While one side contains the villain of the piece, and is certainly darker over all, they're both driven by fear and hatred, and it's oddly kind of powerful that despite their short-sighted lack of understanding of one another, they end up singing the same song.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm 

Holy memory:

romanoffblitzer.tumblr.com/post/86555818599/boros-alignment-chart-v20

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18