All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 pm 

Identity: Male
NGA Masters
Champion Your Community

Number of Cards: 156
Set Completion Date: 3 August 2014
Playtesting Completion Date: TBA
Lead Designer: Chin Kee Yong (a.k.a. CKY)

Designed for NGA Constructed. Dedicated to the creative community of No Goblins Allowed. This is for you!

What is this?

How does this work?

Workspace

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:44 am, edited 15 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 pm 

156/156

White (24)

Blue (24)

Black (23)

Red (24)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sat May 09, 2015 6:09 am, edited 174 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:11 pm 

Green (23)

Multicolor (20)

Artifact and Land (19)

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 99 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
really not in favor of including non-YMtC cards. like how Vintage Masters limited itself to non-Modern cards to be true to the soul of the format it encapsulated, I think a YMtC Masters should be only YMtC cards.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:21 pm 

That would be ideal, but in my opinion it's just not feasible. Vintage has the luxury of a huge number of simple vanilla cards and core set rejects, but I can't think of a better Pacifism to be in the YMtC core set than Pacifism. The point of NGA Masters is to be the foundation of NGA Constructed – the core set in Standard that sets the tone for the metagame. I'm not sure if an all-new, all-innovative set can accomplish that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:37 pm 

Celebrate the creative works of the No Goblins Allowed community by including cards made by wotc

nice

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

That would be ideal, but in my opinion it's just not feasible. Vintage has the luxury of a huge number of simple vanilla cards and core set rejects, but I can't think of a better Pacifism to be in the YMtC core set than Pacifism. The point of NGA Masters is to be the foundation of NGA Constructed – the core set in Standard that sets the tone for the metagame. I'm not sure if an all-new, all-innovative set can accomplish that.

it might be useful to dig through the rarity game thread, then, to find simple commons. they get designed, it's just they rarely wind up nominated for anything so they get lost quickly.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:49 pm 

razorborne wrote:
it might be useful to dig through the rarity game thread, then, to find simple commons. they get designed, it's just they rarely wind up nominated for anything so they get lost quickly.
This is actually an amazing idea. Why didn't I think of that? I'm on it right away!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Is this set going to be structured more like a core set or a Masters set? So far it looks pretty indecisive. Core sets need the amount of reprints, but Master sets can do with original cards. There are plenty of, say, Divination or Naturalize variants at the rarity game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
This is actually an amazing idea. Why didn't I think of that? I'm on it right away!

the game threads in general are probably going to be your best source of commons. contest threads and ICDs are generally trying to be too flashy for all that, but the game threads you often get simple, quick ideas that are fun variants on basic concepts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 pm 

Riorvard wrote:
Is this set going to be structured more like a core set or a Masters set? So far it looks pretty indecisive.
From now onward, the goal is to structure it like a Masters set and build it entirely from YMtC cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Got to say that the idea of a cycle of Souls for the YMtC worlds is pretty cool. If I may indulge:

Soul of Velicta (M)

Creature – Avatar
6/6
Intimidate
: Destroy target creature.
, Exile Soul of Velicta from your graveyard: Destroy target creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:45 pm 

Riorvard wrote:
Got to say that the idea of a cycle of Souls for the YMtC worlds is pretty cool. If I may indulge:
Thanks. Soul of Velicta is in. If you have a card list of the Velicta block, could you post that up as well so it can become part of the NGA Constructed format?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:45 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Falconer's finest is just really weak.
It should be noted that herd + any "whenever a creature enters the battlefield (under your control)" effect goes infinite.
Rotting Hulk: should be uncommon. Kinda breaks limited.
Idol from Beyond: wouldn't it be simpler just to say "other creatures get -1/-1 for each aura attached to ~"?
Underdog could be common.
Unpolished Gem is so much worse than Prismatic Lens.
Two Shields: Funny, but unplayable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:47 pm 

When commenting, please take into account that everything is still very much in flux. Cards will move in and out, and rarities will inevitably shift. Pretty much the only thing guaranteed not to change will be the text of the cards themselves.

Cato wrote:
Falconer's finest is just really weak.
It should be noted that herd + any "whenever a creature enters the battlefield (under your control)" effect goes infinite.
Rotting Hulk: should be uncommon. Kinda breaks limited.

Noted and editing.

Cato wrote:
Idol from Beyond: wouldn't it be simpler just to say "other creatures get -1/-1 for each aura attached to ~"?
Unpolished Gem is so much worse than Prismatic Lens.
Two Shields: Funny, but unplayable.

These are Card of the Week winners, which makes them an automatic include. I can't change the text on the cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 pm 

I made it in! Oh man. Someone break me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:24 pm 

These are Card of the Week winners, which makes them an automatic include. I can't change the text on the cards.

why do you have these arbitrary rules like "cards that have stupid wording cant be changed" and "lets make a format with user-made cards that is 50% cards already made by wotc"?

change my card so it works and tweak the **** cards so they dont suck

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 pm 

Ko wrote:
why do you have these arbitrary rules like "cards that have stupid wording cant be changed" and "lets make a format with user-made cards that is 50% cards already made by wotc"?

1. While I am fine with cleaning up wording, granting an ability to auras attached to a creature and an ability that counts the auras attached to a creature have different rules interactions. I respect the designers of these cards and assume that everything in a card design is deliberate. Unless someone asks me to change their card, I won't change it. But if you wanted me to change the card, all you had to do was say so.

2. I'm listening. After razorborne pointed out that many of the holes could be filled by cards from YMtC game threads, I changed my stance and decided to make NGA Masters a zero-reprint set.

I'm genuinely trying to lay the groundwork for a fun Constructed format, because I think this is something worth doing. Not all of my decisions may be sound, but that's why I'm turning to you all for advice. Please have a little patience.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:52 pm 

I really want to include this:

Soul of Eldangard

Creature – Avatar (M)
6/6

First strike
: Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
, Exile Soul of Eldangard from your graveyard: Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

...But razorborne has already raised the issue with using Fallingman's work when he doesn't frequent this forum. So I guess this will have to stay on the drawing board for now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:54 pm 

Is this set going to just... have random amounts of random mechanics?
I see bestow is already in there.

Like this post