It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Card Clinic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:55 am 

Which sounds better?

Merfolk spells you cast cost your choice of , , or less to cast for each creature that died this turn.

or

Whenever a creature dies, choose , , or . Merfolk spells you cast this turn cost that amount of mana less to cast this turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 am 

Identity: Male
Merfolk spells you cast cost less to cast for each creature that died this turn. (For example, a Merfolk costing is free to cast if three creatures have died this turn.)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 am 

Tempting,yet at the same time I fear it's too easy to misread even with the reminder text. I'll have to consider it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:40 pm 

I want to make a Legendary Pirate for commander that allows you to play any Pirate in your deck, regardless of its color, then turns all your legendary creatures into Pirates so you can put them in your deck. Would a card like this still allow you to build a deck around him with other color legendarys, or would the deckbuilding rules for commander trump the card and not allow you to run any legendarys that aren't blue, black, or red?

Lancrick, Pirate Lord / /
Legendary Creature - Human Pirate
If Lancrick, Pirate Lord is your commander, your deck may contain Pirate creature cards of any color, regardless of color identity. Legendary creatures you own that aren’t on the battlefield, legendary creature spells you cast, and legendary creatures you control are Pirates in addition to their other types.

You may spend mana as if it was mana of any type to cast Pirate spells.
3/3

Pokemon Tabletob Adventures: Darkness Descends
Setup Zone. IC. OOC. Map.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am 

I don't think that second portion is sufficient to allow all legendary creatures in your deck.

"Your deck may contain Pirates and legendary creatures regardless of color identity if Lancrick, Pirate Lord is your commander. Legendary creature cards you own that aren’t on the battlefield, legendary creature spells you control, and legendary creatures you control are Pirates in addition to their other types."

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 pm 

Hey all, I'm working on a bottom up project and I could use some help.
I've got a world filled solely with artifact creatures and I'm planning to use Processor as a creature type in blue.
I'd like to keep an homage to the processor mechanic, but I need to backtrack to a new flavor identity for it.

I was pondering if any could help me brainstorm up some things.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Hey all, I'm working on a bottom up project and I could use some help.
I've got a world filled solely with artifact creatures and I'm planning to use Processor as a creature type in blue.
I'd like to keep an homage to the processor mechanic, but I need to backtrack to a new flavor identity for it.

I was pondering if any could help me brainstorm up some things.

I think that's more of a YMTC intro thread thing. Or probably deserving of its own post. Your request's not really clinical in nature.

Overpowering Explosion
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice an artifact.
Kicker - Sacrifice an artifact.
~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost.
If ~ was kicked, instead, deal X damage to each of up to Y target creatures and/or players, where X is the converted mana cost of the artifact sacrificed to cast ~, and Y is the converted mana cost of the artifact sacrificed to pay the kicker.

I have no idea if a proper wording for this even exists.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:21 am 

Similar functionality version:

Overpowering Explosion

Instant

As an additional cost to cast Overpowering Explosion, sacrifice one or two artifacts.
Overpowering Explosion deals X damage divided as you choose among up to Y target creatures and/or players, where X is the converted mana cost of the first artifact sacrificed and Y is that of the second. If only one artifact is sacrificed, Y is 1.

Split card version:

Bits

Instant
As an additional cost to cast Bits, sacrifice an artifact.
Bits deals damage to target creature or player equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost.
///
Pieces

Instant
As an additional cost to cast Pieces, sacrifice two artifacts.
Pieces deals X damage divided as you choose among up to Y target creatures and/or players, where X is the converted mana cost of the first artifact sacrificed and Y is that of the second.

Version I recommend:

Overpowering Explosion

Instant

As an additional cost to cast Overpowering Explosion, sacrifice an artifact with converted mana cost X.
Overpowering Explosion deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to X target creatures and/or players.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:29 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Overpowering Explosion

Instant

As an additional cost to cast Overpowering Explosion, sacrifice between one and two artifacts.
Overpowering Explosion deals X damage divided as you choose among up to Y target creatures and/or players, where X is the converted mana cost of the first artifact sacrificed and Y is that of the second. If only one artifact is sacrificed, Y is 1.

I like this wording, but I'd change the first line to:

As an additional cost to cast Overpowering Explosion, sacrifice one or two artifacts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:30 am 

Edited.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 am 

Thank you folks, on the ball as always.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:23 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Overpowering Explosion
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice an artifact with converted mana cost X.
Kicker — Sacrifice an artifact with converted mana cost Y.
~ deals X damage to target creature or player. If ~ was kicked, it deals that much damage to up Y target creatures and/or players instead.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 am 

That works too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:40 am 

Checking the wording on these:

:4::g:
Sorcery
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature you control. If that creature had +1/+1 counters on it, put twice that many +1/+1 counters on the copy.

:1::b::r:
Instant
Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn. If an opponent controls that creature, it deals damage to itself equal to its power. Otherwise, draw a card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 am 

Does this work? If you get a permanent card I want you to end up controlling the permanent.

"Choose a nonland card at random from target opponent's graveyard. Cast it without paying its mana cost."

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 pm 

Flopfoot wrote:
Checking the wording on these:

:4::g:
Sorcery
Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target creature you control. If that creature had +1/+1 counters on it, put twice that many +1/+1 counters on the copy.

:1::b::r:
Instant
Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn. If an opponent controls that creature, it deals damage to itself equal to its power. Otherwise, draw a card.

I'd make it "For each +1/+1 counter on that creature, put two +1/+1 on the copy".
For the second one I believe it works, but I'd spell it out more explicitly. A line break between the first and second sentences would help people realize that the "otherwise" refers to the damage and the card draw. I'm not sure if there are rules requirements for putting in a line break.

Flopfoot wrote:
Does this work? If you get a permanent card I want you to end up controlling the permanent.

"Choose a nonland card at random from target opponent's graveyard. Cast it without paying its mana cost."

Yes, if you cast the spell, you control the permanent/effect.

What's the accepted nomenclature for letting people choose from a list of card types where instants and sorceries together only form one option?
"Chooses artifact, enchantment, creature, land, or instant and sorcery" seems like it should work, but I don't know what works best.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm 

Remember that the terminology for producing tokens is "create" now.

For the cast, you need to specify a "you may" or "if able."

TP, my wording would be something like this:

"An opponent chooses artifact, enchantment, creature, land, or nonpermanent. Search your library for a card of the chosen type, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (Instants and sorceries are nonpermanents.)"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 am 

Ah, of course!

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:54 pm 

"An opponent chooses artifact, enchantment, creature, land, or nonpermanent. Search your library for a card of the chosen type, reveal that card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (Instants and sorceries are nonpermanents.)"
Minor quibble: the preferred wording for the choice out of a set of things that aren't all card types is "card of the chosen kind" (cf. Abundance). Otherwise, that works great.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:11 pm 

A weird effect that may need new wording for you folks to ponder:

You may play up to basic land of each type each turn. You may not play nonbasic lands.
- I don't even know if the "each type" wording works. Is "one of each basic land" better?
- I'd prefer to leave the option to play nonbasics open- just not on the same turn you use the ability.
- The tricky part is to find wording that covers cases where you play the nonbasic before and after the basic.

As long as you have not played any nonbasic lands this turn, you may play any number of additional basic lands each turn, as long as those lands don't share a name with any other land you played this turn.
-I my intent here is as clear as the wording is ugly; I want to balance fastbond.
-I also want to close the loophole where you could play a normal mix of basic and nonbasic lands, then play one of each without problem.
- My third attempt was to have you choose whether or not the ability applies each turn before you play a land. Workable but complicated.

Thanks.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next