It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Card Clinic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:18 pm 

Identity: Male
Basically Fastbond

Enchantment (R)

You may play any number of basic lands on each of your turns, except you can't play two basic lands that share a basic land type in the same turn.
You can't play nonbasic lands if a basic land has been played this turn, and vice versa.

The card is more elegant if you just drop the second clause, but I included it if you really want it to be a thing.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 am 

Thank you. I didn't even know "except" could be used in MTG speak.
I may end up dropping the clause.

New question- Does this work?:
Each creature has power and toughness equal to either its base power, or its base toughness; whichever is higher.
It's Doran and also AntiDoran at once and selectively.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Thank you. I didn't even know "except" could be used in MTG speak.

I just pulled it out of my arse. Don't tell anyone.

TPmanW wrote:
New question- Does this work?:
Each creature has power and toughness equal to either its base power, or its base toughness; whichever is higher.
It's Doran and also AntiDoran at once and selectively.

Each creature has base power and toughness X/X, where X is that creature's original base power or base toughness, whichever is higher.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 am 

Thanks, I wasn't sure if you could change the base p/t of something that already had P/T. Also for some reason I didn't want to use X/X? Why? It really illustrates the point to the reader.
Well, into my MCD thread they go!

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:09 pm 

resdamalos wrote:
High Jump Kick
Instant
Cast ~ only as you declare attackers.
Technique - As an additional cost to cast ~, exert an attacking Monk you control. If you do, it gets +1/+0 and has flying until the end of the combat phase.

I've been informed that this card doesn't work as you don't have priority when declaring attackers. What wording would be necessary to make it do what I want?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:47 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
We don't know the exact rules for exert yet. If the definition is loose enough, you could just do this:

High Jump Kick
Instant
Cast High Jump Kick only during the declare attackers step.
Technique - Exert target attacking Monk you control. That creature gets +1/+0 and gains flying until end of combat.

If the rules say that exert can only happen while declaring attackers, then your options are more awkward. You could either give it an exert ability...

Technique - Until end of turn, target Monk you control gains "You may exert this creature when it attacks. When you do, it gets +1/+0 and gains flying until end of combat."

or just not use exert...

Technique - Target attacking Monk you control gets +1/+0 and gains flying until end of combat. That creature doesn't untap during your next untap step.

Side note: Very few buffs end at end of combat. Certain buffs basically have to be until end of turn (e.g. toughness buffs and indestructible), so other buffs just follow the same format to be consistent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 pm 

Target monk you control gains "you may exert this as it attacks. If you do..." until end of turn.

Then just make it a sorcery

Bit underpowered though. Why not an aura granting the ability to exert permanently?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 pm 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
I'm trying to find out how to word an odd ability. The backstory: I want it to work with Morbid, and things like it. Tragic Slip, Bog Down and Compelling Deterrence are some examples of what I want this to work with.

Alternate Reality -- COST
Enchantment (R)

If a card you control has a conditional ability, you may use that ability was though the condition was met.

--xx--

the original concept was: If an ability was not yet able to trigger, but in triggering it, it would retroactively trigger itself. Basically the time loop in Ocarina of time where Link in the future learns a song from a man, that Link "taught" the man in the past after learning it in the future.
The best mtg example would've been Tragic Slip. If the creature died, then the morbid cost would trigger, which then this card would allow you to trigger it;

I kinda hoped to generalize it and if the trigger was not met, it would punish the player at the end of turn. I figured I would try a slightly simpler version first expecting it to be wordy as heck anyways.

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 pm 

...Are you asking how to write a time paradox into a Magic template?

Okay, to answer your question seriously what you are asking is so broad that there isn't really a better wording than what you have there. I can offer you cleaner templates for specific applications, but if you really want it to cover everything, I doubt there's anything better than that.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:29 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Ignite the Ashes
Sorcery
You may cast target instant or sorcery in your graveyard without paying its flashback cost.

Is this a thing that works? And more importantly, a thing that doesn't work on cards without flashback.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 am 

I think with that wording, you'd be able to flashback stuff for free, but also cast a non-flashback spell by paying its mana cost. The problem is that the "you may cast" part gives you permission to cast the spell regardless of whether or not you'd normally be able to.

I'd go with this:
Quote:
Until end of turn, you may pay rather than pay the flashback cost of target card in your graveyard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:18 am 

"You may cast target instant or sorcery with flashback from your graveyard without paying its flashback cost," does exactly what I think you want.

If you only want certain things to be affected by a targeted spell, its usually easiest to explicitly state that in the targeting phrase.

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
"You may cast target instant or sorcery with flashback from your graveyard without paying its flashback cost," does exactly what I think you want.

If you only want certain things to be affected by a targeted spell, its usually easiest to explicitly state that in the targeting phrase.

I feel like there might be a loophole there where this also lets you cast the flashback spell by paying its mana cost, in which case it wouldn't end up exiled.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

Wasn't that also true of the original card?

"Target instant or sorcery card with flashback gains flashback ," works but I hate it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:18 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Can anyone help with wording the reminder text for this?

Brains to Brawn
Instant
Target creature loses all abilities until end of turn. For each ability lost this way, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn. (Each keyword ability is one ability. Each non-keyword ability starts on a new line.)

Hopefully the problem is obvious. I need a neat way for players to be able to individuate abilities. I think (although this may be wrong -- exert makes me unsure) that each paragraph on card indicates a separate ability. Is that true? How would you implement this in reminder text?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm 

This is an extremely problematic card because some keywords are actually more than one ability. For instance, suspend is 3 abilities rolled into a single keyword. There's also the issue of rules text not always reflecting Oracle text, forcing you to consult Gatherer when you cast Brains to Brawn on Kobolds of Kher Keep (hint: it doesn't actually have any abilities).

I think the best solution here is to make the buff a flat bonus, like always giving +2/+2. This means the card loses some of its flavor, but at least it'll be usable correctly by the majority of players.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:44 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
This is an extremely problematic card because some keywords are actually more than one ability. For instance, suspend is 3 abilities rolled into a single keyword. There's also the issue of rules text not always reflecting Oracle text, forcing you to consult Gatherer when you cast Brains to Brawn on Kobolds of Kher Keep (hint: it doesn't actually have any abilities).

I think the best solution here is to make the buff a flat bonus, like always giving +2/+2. This means the card loses some of its flavor, but at least it'll be usable correctly by the majority of players.

Suspend is a great find.
I'll make the card boring if I have to, but I'd like to think of alternatives.

How about 'for each activated ability or triggered ability lost this way'? I feel like activated and triggered abilities are easy to count because they trigger on different occasions/require different costs. Even something like suspend - thanks for the example -- is easily identifiable as two triggered abilities b/c it's clear that there are different triggers involved.

A step more ambitious -- 'for each keyword lost this way. Then it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each other activated or triggered ability lost this way'. It's just cos when I made this I had dreams of playing it on an akroma.

Another possibility, which goes a bit meta: 'for each keyword and each paragraph of text that doesn't contain a keyword'.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:03 pm 

I'm trying out a new mechanic, called Overturn. I'm wondering what colors this should be and if there's problems with the rulings I gave for it.

Overturn (When this creature takes combat damage from a source and survives, it deals damage equal to the difference in toughness and damage taken that turn to the source's controller.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm 

Overturn easily fits in :r:, probably :w:, and perhaps :g:. It's a bit confusing, though. As I understand it, the official rule could be:

When this creature is dealt combat damage by a source, if this creature is on the battlefield, it deals X damage to that source's controller, where X is this creature's toughness minus the amount of damage it has been dealt this turn.

Granted, this text could be tweaked to only count combat damage taken this turn, or even this combat, instead of all damage taken until the triggered ability resolves. The behavior when an attacker gets double-blocked is probably surprising. It might need to be repaired for indestructible creatures, to specify what happens if X is zero or less. The reminder text doesn't need to be quite so exact, though.

Meanwhile, many players would have trouble with the subtraction, particularly when it's not at high enough volume to get used to it. Expect arguments over whether it triggers on a blocking creature, too; few mechanics deal damage to the attacking player. It might be a tricky mechanic to develop, too; it's nearly worthless on low-toughness minions, but far too good on high-toughness monsters. On the wrong mix of creatures, it could lead to board stalls, though it encourages its controller to attack.

Then again, it probably plays better than it reads.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 am 

I strongly dislike "if this creature is on the battlefield" intervening if's. Why not make it an end-of-combat trigger? Also, does it have to hit the source's controller? "Target opponent" is more flexible, and the difference between them is non-existent in two-player Magic.
Quote:
At end of combat, if this creature was dealt combat damage this turn, it deals X damage to target opponent where X is the creature's toughness minus the total damage it has taken this turn.

I do think this will cause horrible board-stalls, though.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next