Who should ADVANCE to the semifinals?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 pm
Shaz 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Malikot 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11
Total voters : 11
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Shaz wrote:
Shaz's Submission

Malikot wrote:
Malikot's Submission

The poll will remain open through Friday, January 19. Feel free to discuss and critique the submissions. I will hold my vote until the end in case if a tiebreaker is needed. Best of luck, Shaz and Malikot!

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
I changed my entry a bit (15 min after this went up, had the edit sitting for a bit in preview). Is there a chance I could get an update, or did I miss my window of opportunity?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm 

Shaz:
Card 1 feels a little strong, but white can probably get away with it. I wish the mechanics matched the flavor text a bit more, but it's fine.

Card 2 really ought to have been printed by now. Very solid. The flavor is a good fit, and the continuity is strong.

Card 3 is a little more plain than I'd like, but it has good synergy with card 2. Once again, the flavor is a good fit, as the card demonstrates the cost of aggression. I also like the color progression from white to red to black as a metaphor for the changes going to war brings to a farming community.

Malikot:
Card 1 is too close to Cradle to Grave to be interesting. The flavor wording is muddled, trying to do too much worldbuilding at once.

Card 2's mechanics are rather unfun. Either it acts a a generic kill spell with bounce spliced on, or it is a horribly inefficient way to rescue a creature you control. If it sacrificed a creature you control to bounce a lot of creatures you control for cheap, then it would have been more interesting, useful, and in line with the flavor text.

Card 3 is the strongest card out of either contestant's submissions. Solid flavor, fitting mechanics, and a good tactical choice for the opponent.

Over all, Shaz was more consistently good in mechanics and flavor, while Malikot had two uninspiring cards and a diamond in the rough. My vote goes to Shaz, for having stronger ties between the cards themselves as well as between the flavor of each card and the mechanics of that card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 am 

Identity: Male
Shaz
-In the grey zone of white card advantage, but a solid card.
-Plain, but effective.
-Feels like the opposite of what the flavour text is saying, unless you imagine the situation flipped. Otherwise simple but solid.
Flavour texts: Nice continuity and storytelling.

Malikot
-Not virgin territory, but somehow Cradle To Grave is the closest WOTC's come to printing this? Evocative flavour text but I don't understand the nuances. Feels like if I knew the set it would all fall into place.
-2 for 1 that needs 2 targets.
-I concur with YL. This is the most interesting card of the 6.
Flavour texts: More evocative. Some holes need filling though. I like how the texts fit together in a less obvious way. It would feel like more of a discovery to piece them together.

Close match, but I'm voting Malikot.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

After consulting with Dudibus, I've decided to honor the last minute changes to Malikot's submission, especially since I didn't post in the contest thread that the round was closed before posting the voting threads.

If you have already voted, please evaluate the submissions again to confirm your vote.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
to TPManW: Bounce plus murder isn't 2 for 1. It is a huge tempo swing, though.

I just walked in...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:16 am 

Identity: Male
Not 2 kills for one card, but two "removals" at any rate.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am 

Shaz:

I don't like how Arm the Peasantry is a Demonic Tutor for Equipment Cards when X=1, and only becomes more busted from there. The Tutor ability is what makes Stoneforge Mystic so good that it had to be banned in Modern.

I like Hawkish Conscript. Not a great name, but I'm really not a stickler on that. I like "force attack" in red more than blue, and this feels like a good common that is saying Red's a bit more strategic on this world than in others.

Not 100% sure if the wording is right for Path of Ruination, but I think I get the effect 100% (if you attack two different players, they each lose 2 life), even if how that exactly resolves is something I'm not sure of (does it trigger once total, or once per player). It also sucks that this works against you too.

Overall - not a huge fan of the flavour string. So these are people that arm themselves, start pillaging, then aren't able to stop? The first two cards connect with this story, but I don't feel that connection with the last one.

Malikot:

What's up with the effect on A Cruel Fate? Is it a replacement effect or a triggered effect? Anyways, I get the ability, but that needed to be cleaned up. This seems okay. Only thing I don't like about it being a common is that it's a little tricky to understand what happens when multiple things enter the battlefield at the same time, so this might have been better at Uncommon.

Again, there's some confusion in the wording for Left to Die; is "that player" the owner of the returned target creature, or the person that controls the target creature? I think it's the former from the wording, but with the intent of the second, otherwise, if your opponent controls two of your creatures (and no other creatures), and you still have a creature, you'd need to bounce target creature then destroy your own in order to cast this. That's weird. Also, double-removal for 4 is really amazingly efficient.

There's a whole lot going on here; if you counter Prodigal Pyromancer's activate ability with this, that player then either sacrifices the creature (in blue!?!) or you get Ruminate back. I dislike mentioning card-type sources here as well - why restrict it so heavily? Also, there's a huge feel-bad here if part of the cost of activating the ability was to sacrifice the creature.

Overall - I have no clue how the story is connecting to the cards after the first one. They just seem completely tangental to the card's actions. Combined with the weak card performance, I'm giving this one to Shaz.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am 

FWIW Steelshaper's Gift is not too busted, and equipments in particular have diminishing returns after the first (because of deck space and mana).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am 

Shaz wrote:
FWIW Steelshaper's Gift is not too busted, and equipments in particular have diminishing returns after the first (because of deck space and mana).

Hey, don't complain, I voted for you :P !

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Shaz:

Arm the Peasantry: White's not supposed to get card draw. Examples of white card draw have been specifically cited by Wizards as design mistakes. The idea of tutoring up a bunch of equipment is interesting though, since it's balanced by the limited card types and the fact that you'll eventually run out of equipment in your deck to tutor.

Hawkish Conscript: It's an interesting limited 187guy. It lets you either stop a guy from blocking, or kill it in combat. Sometimes it's a grey ogre. It's characteristically red. I like it.

Path of Ruination: It's underpowered and not especially interesting from a design perspective.

A Cruel Fate: The wording is terrible. If a creature would enter the battlefield, it's not on the battlefield yet and can't be destroyed. Also, it doesn't actually replace it entering the battlefield, since I assume it still does, since it has to enter the battlefield to be destroyed. It should use Grave Peril's wording instead.

Left to Die: This is certainly an interesting card. The cost might be too low though, although there is some awkwardness to it.

Ruminate: Blue should never have the ability to make opponents sacrifice creatures. I don't care if it's optional.

Vote: Shaz, because he had 2 printable cards instead of 1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 24 hours until the quarterfinals are over! If you haven't cast your vote yet, now's the time!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congratulations to Shaz, who advances to the semifinals! Next round will be up by Monday, due to the GDS.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am 

Identity: Unqualified
Good luck Shaz!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 pm 

Malikot wrote:
Good luck Shaz!
Thank you and well fought! <3

Like this post