It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm 

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details
Top 8
Quarterfinals Pairings

Quarterfinals Criteria

Your task this round is to design three cards with what I'll call panoramic flavor text. In other words, the flavor text starts on the first card, continues on the second, and ends on the third.

If you're not sure if your interpretation of the criteria fits, feel free to ask, but the answer is it probably does. The criteria is difficult as it is, and more than anything, I'm excited to see what it causes your eight brilliant minds to dream up.

This round closes on Friday, 1/12 at 9:00 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Round 7 | Wild Card
Quarterfinals | Semifinals | Finals

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 pm 

A brief note: In previous years, the higher ranked pairings got to pick a color or something to give them a bit of an edge. There's no good way to do that with this criteria, since the option to design multiple cards with different colors makes it that much more interesting. Oh well! Perhaps that feature will return next year.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Aww man, I woulda crushed this.

Great criteria, Q! Really cool. :king:

Best of luck to everyone in the Top 8!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:03 am 
YMtC Champ '08

Human centipede flavor text.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

oh god thanks for that Riovard.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:27 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
A brief note: In previous years, the higher ranked pairings got to pick a color or something to give them a bit of an edge. There's no good way to do that with this criteria, since the option to design multiple cards with different colors makes it that much more interesting. Oh well! Perhaps that feature will return next year.

you could make four or more open ended flavor stipulations that the contestants got to pick from

or something like that

not that it really matters

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
Might as well throw a submission on here. If I'm too busy or don't think of anything later at least this is here.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Professor of the Political

Creature -- Human Advisor
0/2
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player reveals his or her hand.
Whenever one or more instant or sorcery cards become revealed from an opponent's hand, draw a card.
"The education of the statesman begins by understanding that governance is a blade with two edges."

Lesson of Cruelty

Instant
Destroy target creature an opponent controls. Then if there are ten or more creature cards among all graveyards, you control that player during his or her next turn.
"The first edge of power is terror. Your power is assured if you face nothing but broken wills."

Enduring Realm

Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target permanent card in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
As long as at least one graveyard has no permanent cards in it, you can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.
"Cruelty, however, can only crush those that are already one's enemies. And one's realm cannot exist if all one has is enemies. The second edge is mercy: from the ashes of defeat let arise loyal and loving subjects."

Last edited by Riorvard on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
A heist! For the crown! :king:

Alvaro, Dashing Ringleader
Legendary Creature — Cat Rogue
: Return Alvaro to your hand.
Whenever Alvaro deals combat damage to a player, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a legendary creature card from among them and put it into your hand. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
"Hey. Here's the thing. I'm putting a crew together. Biggest job of my life. You in?"
1/2

Xana the Usurper
Legendary Creature — Dog Avatar
Menace
Nonlegendary creatures have base power and toughness 0/1.
"Now. I don't want to lie to you. The mark? Vicious. Wrathful. Not known for mercy. Maybe you've heard of her?"
—Alvaro, to his Thieves

8/6

The Crown of Xanadu
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has "You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game."
Equip
Equip — Tap an untapped legendary creature you control.
"Our prize. Sealed in the Molten Cage. Guarded by a dozen lordhounds. But! With some luck? Our key to taking the world back."
—Alvaro, to his Thieves

Last edited by Johnny Valdez on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 am 

About 2.5 days until this closes!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I had an idea for this but I think I forgot it

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am 

razorborne wrote:

Make a pyramid cycle with panoramic flavor text.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

razorborne wrote:

Foight me, razor, darnit!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Spoiler

Probably gonna change stuff, but there's a chance I won't be able to get to this tomorrow, so thought I should post just in case.

EDIT: got around to changing some stuff around. Had to go more ham-fisted than I would have liked with the flavor text, since there's no art to support the story.

Last edited by Malikot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 pm 

Less than 24 hours remaining! Shaz, razorborne, and Rubik have yet to post submissions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 am 

Identity: Rubik
Yellowbrook Priest -
Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever a creature enters or leaves the battlefield, you gain 1 life.
2/2
"We are gathered here today to celebrate life. Its beginnings, its endings, and the journeys in between."

Daegar, Gregarious Lord -
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
Whenever Daegar, Gregarious Lord enters or leaves the battlefield, gain control of target creature until the beginning of your next end step. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
4/3
"In life, Daegar always had a way of touching the hearts of others—friends and foes alike."

Thoughtful Eulogy -
Sorcery
Exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you do, you may look at the top four cards of your library and put two of them into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
"Though our time in this world must eventually come to an end, the memories we leave behind may inspire those who remain."

Last edited by Rubik on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 am 

Spoiler

Last edited by Shaz on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 am 
YMtC Champ '14

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Decipher The Runes-
Sorcery
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a non-land card with converted mana cost 3 or less. Exile all land cards revealed this way, then put all other cards revealed this way into your hand.
The Archmage Boethia sat in her study, quill in hand, watching as the mysterious rift grew.

Sworn Shadowguard-
Creature-Spirit Knight
Menace
Whenever you cast a spell, Sworn Shadowguard deals damage equal to that spell's converted mana cost to itself and to you.
The Dread Baron Aranoth sat on his throne, flanked by his most loyal defenders, as the portal opened to an unknown world.
5/4

Meeting At The Mirror-
Sorcery
Search target opponent's library for up to three non-land cards with different names. You may cast them without paying their mana costs. Then that player repeats this process with your library.
The two watched each other, neither blinking, neither moving, neither one yet understanding the weight of this one instant.

some notes:

1) Decipher can draw a lot of cards, but it's not really plausible to use it to draw your whole deck or anything. first of all if you do, you have no deck left, since it exiles the lands instead of replacing them. and second, it stops if it finds another copy of itself. oh and also filling your deck with only 4-drops is a great way to die before you get your combo off. a fair deck built around it could reasonably expect to draw 2-3 cards, but always runs the risk of less, making it balanced although probably in need of a higher rarity.

2) the numbers on Shadowguard are very carefully constructed. first, its 4 toughness means it kills itself if you cast anything that Decipher doesn't stop on, making them, in a sense, mirrors. (heh.) it costs 3, so it doesn't kill other Shadowguards, but it leaves them vulnerable. the Menace is to make it a little safer to cast 3-drops, since it's harder for your opponent to put that last 1 damage on it through combat. it's powerful but, again, at higher rarities I don't think it's unreasonable. compare to pitiless horde, which is probably stronger than this.

3) Meeting is just a big goofy red spell. I tried to imagine what, mechanically, the symmetrical intertwining of fates would look like, and inheriting each other's tools seemed clever. note that, because of the order in which the spells are cast, any counters in your deck can be used against the spells you stole, and any sweepers in their deck can be used against any creatures they want to steal from you. it's probably too expensive and unpredictable for real play, but casual could probably have some fun with it.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am 

Looks like everyone has a submission! I'm going to wait until tonight to close the round. Feel free to use the remaining time to edit and update your submissions if you want.

Edit: It looks like JV's submission isn't quite finished — two of the cards don't have flavor text yet. Take your time — I'll probably wait until midnight to close this.

Like this post