It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Mental Riposte
Instant
Counter target spell you don't control.
Momentum - When you cast Mental Riposte, counter each spell you don't control if three or more spells were cast this turn.
"I've already determined how this duel will fare for both of us; all that is left to decide is whether we even face one another or not."

Revision: Added a trigger to the second line of rules text; changed the momentum condition to three or more spells cast this turn.

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am 

Try not to reference the stack. An easy part of momentum is just to say "Count each spell you don't control if four or more spells have been cast this turn."

It's INCREDIBLY unlikely that four or more spells are on the stack at any given time, so changing it to this means there's just that tiny bit more power to it against Storm decks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm 

Eh I was imagining using this for a counter war as well as storm, but that wording change works well. Is 4 or more still a good bar?

Also, the stack is a zone, and like any zone is something players should be familiar with what role it plays. In fact the only thing bad about learning about the stack is that it is a flavor miss: I would simply name it the spellcasting zone.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Alternate stack names: the Aether, the in-between, spell zone, spellcasting zone

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 pm 

But we have...

Exile
Graveyard
Battlefield
Stack
Revealed Zone
Hand
Hidden Zone
Library
Command Zone

I don't think I want to have "zone" all over the place because the command zone kind of hurts my head already.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm 

The command zone is basicslly the special out of play zone thats not supposed to be interacted with and is pretty much literally never used in non casual play.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 pm 

@LilyStorm: Ooh, the AEther sounds nice! And has some previous precedence in cards such as Aether Burst as a means of undoing summoning back to the hand.

@preadatordetector: Think about that list though; Exile, Graveyard, Library, and Battlefield are all ideal for flavor hits. Stack can be replaced by AEther for a flavor hit as well, and Hand ... well, Hand I can forgive as all card games I'm aware of revolve around using a Hand for card advantage. Hidden Zone and Revealed Zone aren't exactly zones themselves, but descriptors of other zones.

Only command zone is a flavor miss, and probably damnable one at that as commander is often the best gateway for new players to enter magic outside of limited and standard. I'd call it the Commander's Post or something more befitting of a military commander.

@LilyStorm: Hi again! While I agree here, I believe that flavor is more important for the casual environment for Commander.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 pm 

Why would this be more useful than cancel in a counter war? You'd just be left with a bunch of counter spells that would fizzle because they had no targets. At least with Swift Silence you get something out of doing it.

Also, a counter war doesn't have to get the stack to four. Once it gets to three, the player with the middle spell could let the top one resolve, countering the middle one, then cast a new spell targeting the bottom one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:14 pm 

But planes, some random cards, schemes and conspiracies (vanguard too?) All occupy the command zone.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

@Flopfoot: So, first, I'm hearing 3 or more is a good bar. Good to know. Second, I may have tried 'balancing' Flusterstorm too much in the other direction ( yes a shocker for me, I know :P ).

Would, let's say, "Copy Mental Riposte for each spell you don't control if three or more spells were cast this turn." work better? Debating on whether to add 'may choose new targets clause' ... my thought process was to just negate the opponents countermagic only so the initial spell becomes bombarded with counterspells.

@Lily: Almost forgot! Sorry! Well, considering that there are some strange amalgamations such as Commander Conspiracy Planechase Archenemy, perhaps a separate zone for each would be better?

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 pm 

@preadatordetector: Think about that list though; Exile, Graveyard, Library, and Battlefield are all ideal for flavor hits. Stack can be replaced by AEther for a flavor hit as well, and Hand ... well, Hand I can forgive as all card games I'm aware of revolve around using a Hand for card advantage. Hidden Zone and Revealed Zone aren't exactly zones themselves, but descriptors of other zones.

Only command zone is a flavor miss, and probably damnable one at that as commander is often the best gateway for new players to enter magic outside of limited and standard. I'd call it the Commander's Post or something more befitting of a military commander.

Hidden and Revealed Zone are in the electronic versions of MtG iirc. They are a bit self-explanatory but...

I dunno maybe I'm biased on this one.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm 

@preadatordetector: Nah, I get your point, and I agree Zone is somewhat overused in a flavor driven game such as MtG; I was merely suggesting your point could be better presented :) . I want to say it is a remnant of MtG's early days, where the battlefield was the in-play zone and exile was the removed-from-game zone, and similar to how stack may have been a way to get computer programmers into MtG. (I'm not a MtG historian by any means)

Like this post