It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm 

Diabolic Influence |
Instant (R)
The next time an opponent searches their library this turn and finds a card, that player reveals their library. You may find a different card. If you do, that player finds that card instead. (If a player does not find a card, or if you do not find a card, this ability has no effect.)
Grima poisoned the king's mind with plagues of indifference and fevers of lethargy.

Last edited by Yarium on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 pm 

Missing a time restriction. Is it supposed to be "this turn"? (Done.)
Also "find a card" is new rules text territory here.

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm 

Missing a time restriction. Is it supposed to be "this turn"?

Yes it it! Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm 

Spoiler

Currently I'm trying to wrack my mind finding a way to make overload happen in MtG (MtG has a lot of things that Hearthstone can't do, such as splashing, but has memory issues being a major concern) as well as make mechanics for three worldbuilding ideas I had. My post count is increasing and I participate less in games because I'm treating the place more like a laboratory than a forum.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm 

You sure you don't want to cost it :2b::2b:?

Amazingly sure :P

God I hate those 2-mana hybrids. A regular hybrid is hard enough as it is to justify, the 2-mana hybrids are just... painful. They don't just look ugly (and they do look ugly), they also mean that any colour can play it. In limited games this can be infuriating. Here you are against a blue/black deck, go down to 4 life, be stable and about to win, then bam. Flame Javelin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:30 pm 

Yarium wrote:
You sure you don't want to cost it :2b::2b:?

Amazingly sure :P

God I hate those 2-mana hybrids. A regular hybrid is hard enough as it is to justify, the 2-mana hybrids are just... painful. They don't just look ugly (and they do look ugly), they also mean that any colour can play it. In limited games this can be infuriating. Here you are against a blue/black deck, go down to 4 life, be stable and about to win, then bam. Flame Javelin.

I have so many disagreements with you about hybrid cards to be honest.

One of the things that make Hearthstone appeal to me over MtG (don't worry, Hearthstone's business model keeps me far away from that game) is the fact that constructed decks do use neutral cards more often than MtG. The only time MtG uses a neutral (colorless) card is when the card itself is either a) overpowered, b) not actually colorless, or c) synergizing with an insane ramp card.

It really hurts when you come across a card that you know you can't play except in some limited deck. I feel the same about auras, equipment, and sometimes even creatures.

It also fuels my gripe about colorless being reserved for artifacts only, as well as my enormous and very real bias against limited formats. I lose a lot of the joy in making cards and especially making common cards because limited dictates that half my cards need to be monocolored, color-light, constructed-unplayable creatures.

It also cuts down the amount of joy I get from purchasing MtG packs. I know, since they are going to be balanced for limited games, that they would often be of the subpar quality that makes me wish I didn't spend so much money on them. We have a cycle of constructed-playable commons and two cycles of constructed-playable uncommons, the other constructed-playable stuff is rare, and everything else is garbage that would serve your tinderbox by the time a season is finished.

Clearly Flame Javelin is not something that is normal for most colors to have. In constructed, however, it's a 6 CMC card in any color besides red. If you get hammered half to death and was finally able to stabilize after being brought down to 4 life, it shouldn't surprise you that you are pretty close to dead. Shadow Slice is cheaper to cast, even if it requires you to be at 1 less life. I would honestly rather see Javelin over Slice in my packs, even if as a constructed player I don't like paying 6 mana to deal 4 damage to creatures and players.

But some very simple designs could be turned into colorless cards. Wind Drake is one very, very good example of such a card. It's just plain bad, 4/5 colors are capable of touching on its effects, and :g:'s "weakness" being overcome by a 3 CMC 2/2 flyer wouldn't make some kind of overpowered deck.

Meanwhile, putting a burn spell or a counterspell into another color carries tons of risk. :br: will easily abuse counterspells, while :gu: would abuse burn; heck they would abuse any kind of removal they get. :u: in particular would be overpowered with a colorless burn spell unless it occupies a very high mana slot (and a one-off use) or is extremely inefficient, like Bee Sting. :w: would be overpowered with card draw because it would make it able to run some cancerous mono-:w: control deck off of its currently existing board wipe card advantage and ability to hose any permanent it chooses.

This isn't restricted to control decks. I wouldn't like it if :ur: suddenly got the ability to revive creatures from the grave or :w: suddenly getting deathtouch and trample. Or any color but green getting Leatherback Baloth. Each of those ideas have their own problems with balance, especially :w:'s love of first strike combat tricks, :g:'s rather enormous weakness of "no removal", and :ur: being able to use burn or counterspells. :r: doesn't deserve board buffs (its creatures deal a lot of damage per turn on their own).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Magic is a game built around the fact that mechanics are split in the five colors, you're not really supposed to use many colorless cards. Colorless cards are generally overcosted because they break the color pie.

Hearthstone on the other hand essentially has 9 colors and no way to splash or combine colors. It's also built different flavorfully. Classless cards are generic monsters or legends that any class would encounter.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am 

But some very simple designs could be turned into colorless cards. Wind Drake is one very, very good example of such a card. It's just plain bad, 4/5 colors are capable of touching on its effects, and :g:'s "weakness" being overcome by a 3 CMC 2/2 flyer wouldn't make some kind of overpowered deck.

Red also doesn't get Wind Drake except for about 3 rares.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:55 pm 

Also, Wind Drake is decent

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:03 am 
YMtC Champ '12

"Gain control of target player during his or her next library search this turn. You must find qualifying cards if able."

Like this post