Thernok, Benevolent Autocrat 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Warbrood Cauldron 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 32
Total voters : 20
 Post subject: Re: Oct 15 - 21, 2017
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 pm 

Identity: Male
Aaarrrgh wrote:
First YMtC attempt in like 3 years, and nominated for CotW? How did I do that?

I'd reason that you just had to save up your energy for a while to pull it off. :D

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
is alright as long as you balance it correctly; but and, by extension, are frowned upon because they break the color pie.

However, this has inspired me to explore an alternate method of utilizing generic hybrid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm 

I don't have nearly the rancor for generic hybrid (or Phyrexian mana) that a lot of people have. For Cauldron in specific I saw it as a way to offer a discount for the "On favored color" player, not giving other colors things they would not and should not get. Making a little token can be accessed in any color, but the price is usually fairly steep. Warbrood Cauldron is about on par with older examples if you're out of black, but if you're in black (the Thrull color) it's much more efficient

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 am 
YMtC Champ '12

is a cost I will never vote for.

That's because you ordered them wrong.

:2::2w::w:

It's also because that you're wondering why it just doesn't cost :2::w::w: since it would be fairly easy to pull that off, unless you are splashing :w: in some treasure deck.

It's a question of function and form. I think the functionality of those options isn't dynamic enough to be useful. By comparison, of both give a greater range of choices while simultaneously looking cleaner aesthetically. That's a lot of positives to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
This is the first time I'm abstaining from a CotW vote because I actually like every single card. Good stuff~

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Malikot wrote:
Tree Branch
Artifact
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Equip
Tap an untapped Forest you control: Return Tree Branch from your graveyard to the battlefield.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am 

@predator: Your mana costs aren't just hybrid, they're also hybrid in a way that wizards has never done (ex: mixing 2-brid and hybrid in one cost, or mixing different kinds of hybrid in one cost, or mixing mono-mana symbols with hybrid-mana symbols containing the same colour of mana, or mixing colourless mana symbols with multiple other kinds of mana symbols. I don't know exactly what wizards has done in terms of hybrid and what they haven't, but breaking those sorts of "rules" is most of what I dislike about your mana costs, idk about others. There's also the problem in that by combining too many casting options, you end up with really complicated mana costs that are potentially a headache to process and that don't gain anything from doing so that would counteract that.

As far as i can tell from a quick search, around half of hybrid cards have only one kind of mana symbol in their typeline, like boros reckoner or figure of destiny. Nearly the rest of them have one kind of mana symbol and a generic mana symbol, like arrows of justice or battlegate mimic and then a very small amount (maybe just one or two cycles, idk) have mono mana symbols combined with a hybrid symbol, such as naya hushblade and trace of abundance. I'm not sure if there are any cards that use multiple hybrid symbols, or mono + generic + hybrid in the same cost, which many of your cards do.

Now, I imagine one of the primary concerns is aesthetic. The mana costs just don't look nice. This is quite probably an issue that YmtCers have that regular joes probably do not have. Rather, a really busy looking mana cost is probably more appealing to the average player because it makes the card seem cooler, although that's just conjecture. I think that there are two real problems, one of which i touched on before.

The first is that you're adding a lot of mechanical complexity to your cards at no gain. "Two white mana and two mana of any colour" is a lot simpler than "Two mana of any colour plus one white mana plus either one white mana or one red mana" and as you add more kinds of symbols to the mix the combinations get harder to digest at a glance. The potential issue with this is mostly subconscious in my opinion. It subtly adds more moving pieces to the game, and requires more thought be devoted to smaller parts of the game, the amount of thought you need to devote to understanding a mana cost like is miniscule, but it adds up in conjunction with the rest of the game, and the end result is that the game can feel tiring or disengaging to the player. I don't think you'll care about this issue, given what I understand about your design principles.

The second issue is that it diminishes your ability to understand what the card costs by glancing at it. Magic uses colour to communicate information. The colour of the mana symbols, the colour of the card templating, and the colour used in the artwork on the card are all used to communicate to communicate information to the player. When you mix a lot of different coloured mana symbols together, you reduce the ability to understand what the card costs at a glance, which makes it harder for people to skim cards to look for ones they like, which is important in a game with tens of thousands of cards. I don't imagine you'll care about this issue either.

That ended up being rambly and not too well put together but I thought I would express my take on the issue since you seemed invested in it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:47 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Bad Fortune
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks or blocks, scry 1.
Sacrifice Bad Fortune: Reveal the top card of your library. Bad Fortune deals damage to enchanted creature equal to the revealed card's converted mana cost.

Like this post